CommerceHub Employee Reviews

fun workplace, horrible communication between offices, constant layoffs
Temp (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA 98109August 27, 2018
while this is a fun place to work and we'd have fn events you could never count on having a job there because of their frequent layoffs - which created a bit of a tense work environment for many people.
Pros
many fun events
Cons
no job security, they were constantly laying people off
Pretty good place to work
Software Engineer in Test (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 21, 2018
When it comes to jobs in this area Commercehub is probably the best employer. I think that Commercehub used to be pretty great, especially when I started here, but over time it's become more and more corporate. My experience is that some teams / products are really fun and exciting and you are constantly improving, but on some of the older products the teams are much slower moving. There is a lot less time to improve the product or refactor / improve the code to make our lives easier.

I certainly learned a lot here, but the way that the company is heading is not what I'm looking for in my job. For example I think we now have 4 x as many C level executives than we did 2 years ago.

The other developers her are almost all great, but the management team is hit or miss. Some of them are great, some aren't so much.

The hardest part of my day is getting constantly told that we don't have the time to actually fix things the right way, we always have to do "good enough". The best part of my day is when I get to actually put my head down and solve a problem. There are quite a few really good devs and architects here, and quite a bit of opportunity to solve really complex and difficult challenges.

If I had written this a year ago, it would be a 4.5 / 5, now though I would only give it 3 / 5.
Pros
occasional free food, sometimes interesting challenges to solve
Cons
Some teams are better than others
Great people, but overwhelming and stressful job
Onboarding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 28, 2018
The people, overall, are great! The work is extremely overwhelming and stressful. Training is minimal, and management has no realistic sense on timeframes for tasks. The pay is barely above minimum wage, when you’re doing a job that should require 2-3x that amount. The benefits are pretty bad as well, especially for a billion dollar company that “loves” its employees.

You’re expected to work 9+ hours a day, 5 days a week. Thus, you’re feeling fairly exhausted with little to no free time very frequently. Though they say they “want to see you grow” the truth is there is not room for growth or improvement.

My department has over 20 people in it, and only 4 have been there for over a year. Huge red flag! When turnover is that high you would think the company would make adjustments.

Anyway, I would not recommend working at CommerceHub. This company has held me back in my career, hence the reason I’m on Indeed seeking new career opportunities.
Pros
Some of the people.
Cons
Almost Everything
Productive and Fun Environment
LEAD DEVELOPER PRODUCTIVITY ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2018
CommerceHub gives you the tools and opportunity to advance your career. You can advance as much or as little as you want. Management ladder is a choice for high performers and is never forced on individuals
Ok place to work
Onboarding Program Manager, Platform Services Team (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 25, 2018
The company provides decent benefits and pay. However, the culture is more east coast philosophy, so they are less inclined to support working remote during part of the work week.
It used to have a good company culture and management.
Sr. Procurement Analyst (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 8, 2017
I somewhat enjoy working at CommerceHub, because of some colleagues that I built of years relationship and I can easy get a long with other departments. Days could get hectic specially during busy season (Q1 to Q2), but in a Procurement Dept. is always busy because there's only two of us to the department (myself and the manager). I learned a lot working for CommerceHub, specially with my current position. I learned and continuously learning dealing with vendor contracts, and management skills. Workplace culture used to be good, but I do like the fact that they still reach out to the communities and other local organizations for doing volunteer work. The hardest part of the job is when I started learning to deal with contracts and whenever a manager is out for vacation/day-off, because I had to deal with the workloads and I don't get any other support. The most enjoyable part of my job at Commercehub is dealing with different departments, resolving various issues, and managing the facilities.
Pros
Free bagels every last Friday of the month, discount movie tickets, paid 1 day volunteer work and matching charitable contributions.
Cons
Bonus, merit, paid vacation and career advancement
Challenging Environment
Vice President of Client Partnerships (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 21, 2017
Many solid performers but hamstrung by a flawed business model. Executive vision has serious reality challenges, and all decision-making is centralized at the top. Ambiguous goals and changing metrics make it a difficult place to work.
A company that values the unique qualities that different people bring.
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 24, 2017
Commerce Hub is a very fast paced growing company. As the company continues to grow and keep up with the global market, employees are able to learn new things and use their prior experiences to tackle new opportunities. They take health and fitness very seriously and provide benefits aimed at improving the health of their employees.
Pros
Cultural diversity
Cons
Parking
Productive and Knowledge Gain
Full Stack Developer (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 9, 2017
Fast paced development environment.
Everyone that works there is always happy and ready to help others around them grow.
The brand new office is gorgeous and has a game room, meditation rooms, and a walking track to clear your mind.
Well defined career ladder to give employees goals to aim for as well as a career path.
Great company! Great culture!
Associate Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 7, 2017
Friendly, supportive, team environment. Excellent benefits, great little perks (coffee, lunches, discounts, family events, etc). A group that always says "thank you" to their workers.
Fun to place to work but management could use some work
Software Engineer in Test (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 4, 2017
In the past year alone, my department saw multiple managers filter through. This causes a lack of knowledge and understanding to employees about their standings in the company when the managers don't know the employees at all.
Pros
Strong dedicated employees, free coffee, great benefits, amazing company culture
Cons
Management across multiple departments need work
Learn, grow, and have fun
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 11, 2016
Engineering here used to be driven by product deadlines and shortcuts were taken. In the last couple years, this has not been the case and some management changes have really emphasized higher code quality and software craftsmanship. You can typically find yourself collaborating to solve interesting problems while also being given the opportunity to pick up some new tech.
Pros
Location, Opportunities for Advancement, Tech Culture
Cons
Salary could be more competitive
Not a great place to work
Sr Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 22, 2016
Started off ok, but degraded quickly. Horribly mismanaged. Little or no foresight in planning. Mis-allocated resources. No proactive risk management, just a lot of after-the-fact blame game politics and other nonsense.

If you try to anticipate problems, they ignore you. Once a crisis arises, you get blamed for trying to fix it. Weird politics. Why do they need to separate development into two different offices within 15 miles of each other? Huge red flag!

Nobody lasts for long. Most of the engineering team has only been there for a few months, at a company that is over 25 years old...

They expect you to be a $95k engineer, but only want to pay in the $60's and think that you're being overpaid at that rate. Benefits are awful, and there are plenty of other opportunities in the area with much more competitive packages.

This place probably put me behind on my career goals, and I wish I could go back and change everything.
Pros
I didn't jump off the balcony
Cons
pretty much everything
An awesome summer experience !
Summer Intern - Database Engineer (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 18, 2014
I had a great time working as a Database Intern for CommerceHub in the summer of 2014.
Pros
Flexible work culture
Cons
On-call feature
Good company to start your career and learn skills, but not too stay too long
Associate Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 18, 2013
Pros – Good environment overall. Good participation of most teams to complete projects.
Cons – Most of the managers don't have a realistic view of the structures of their teams and the amount of real time to finish projects. This leads to unrealistic project schedules, employee over-burn, and lack of confidence from employees toward management.
Pros
free lunches, overall good work environment
Cons
healthcare benefits, bad resource management, bad project planning