Commercial Metals Company Employee Reviews

Over All Poor Experience
Scale Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 7, 2018
The benefits and pay were decent but they over work you and treat each other like garbage. I was told a different pay rate when I interviewed than when I got the call letting me know I got the job. On the first day of employment I was investigated by management about two other employees that had got into an altercation in which I played no role in. Management was not flexible when I encountered a serious family emergency and then went back on it after I put my two-week notice in. The guy whom I took most of the direction from there would erroneously tell me to do a task and then come back and chew me out after that task had been completed. He would come into my department yelling and throwing doors as if the job itself wasn't stressful enough, much less his mistake. You are expected to do a fast-paced job on a time sensitive schedule for a job that was originally designated for two people and you are belittled if you make a rectifiable mistake, even if that mistake isn't your own. On your final day of your two-weeks they will let you go before the shift starts as a "we let you go, not you quit on us." I was there two months after getting hired on and while the job could have been suitable for me, I felt that I had compromised far too much for the pay and the treatment I was receiving there. Management focuses too much on what employees do outside of work and not enough on what happens on premises --> and no I never came into work hung over. Would definitely not recommend this place until they let some bad apples go.
Pros
Over Time
Cons
Poor Management
Hard work low pay
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 5, 2018
Hard work with low pay. It's a great skill to learn but not enough money to survive with a family. Little to no raises everyone year. Not good job security
Good place to work, safety conscience
Diesel Truck and Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 28, 2018
Perform maintenance on tractor trailers, various types of cranes.
Working at a fast pace to keep equipment operational.
Management well concern for employee safety.
Dirty and noisy job.
Safety classes.
Not good
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Athens, GAMarch 26, 2018
Supervisor choose who he wants to give points too. He shows a lot of favoritism towards different race... I don't think we are being treated fairly.. it's really sad when you have to go to work unhappy.. I really don't think he needs to be a supervisor. Lots of decrimination going on .. really think it needs to be looked into....
Poor work environment
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Seguin, TXMarch 25, 2018
Poor management
No social life outside work
Not employee friendly
HR not effective
It's who you know in order to advance
Every employee is disrespectful to one another
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
Where do I start?...
its okay
Loader Operator (Current Employee) –  Cayce, SCMarch 20, 2018
its a good place to work. just need more money for the stuff you do out there. when its time for the annually raise they penny pinch you. been here 5 years all I got for a raise all together $1.67.
Pros
great benefits
Changing Culture
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 14, 2018
The culture changed from being friendly and collaborative to political and elitist. As in every company the department that you work plays a big part in the culture so ask questions during interviews to the hiring manager.
Benefits
Cons
Overbearing and complicated management policies
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 12, 2018
I do not have anything good to say about my time spent at CMC of Alabama. I prefer not to discuss this time and do not wish to say anything bad about the company in tis forum.
Pros
the people
Cons
Upper management
Poor Management
Driver/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TxMarch 6, 2018
As I was told by the Branch Mananger when I applied to a supervisor role. “When I give someone a job, I expect to get something out of them.” Seems more of a place to advance if you know the right people.
Good and stable company
Contract Analyst (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 6, 2018
Company has great intention and a vision to become a leader in their field. However company does not do a very good job of recognizing and cultivating employees strengths or have career plans for employee growth.
Great Company
Material Manager (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMarch 5, 2018
They work hard but pay well. They treat everyone like family. great people. Paid every week.They even shake your hand when they had you a pay check...
Difficult place to work
Structural Detailer (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 2, 2018
Jobs have too short of time frame and too little money. Mistakes are made and problems occur. There is no congratulations on a job well done, but definitely criticism & yelling if there are problems.
Pros
Mostly good people.
Cons
Bad management
Very safe, but very dangerous place to work
Class B Hydraulics Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Seguin, TXFebruary 28, 2018
Very safe place to work, very family oriented with friendly faces all over the plant that want to get to know you. Although it's a steel mill, I would recommend anyone start out with Commercial Metals.
Pros
Cafe on site, all benefits, competitive pay
Cons
Lack of organization in maintenance department
Great place to work -- for the first few years
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 25, 2018
Management came from outside and quickly took the environment downhill from there. A great company for collaboration quickly became a back stabbing environment
Pros
Good benefits, nice corporate offices
Disappointment
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Seguin, TXFebruary 21, 2018
Highly disappointed in work culture. Poor management and lack of integrity. Good ol boy system. had high expectations but certainly failed to meet mine
Benefits
Cons
Management, no soliciting of feedback from employees
Great work environment
cashier, product ordering, daily cash report (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 19, 2018
I enjoyed working at CMC because of the work environment and management. They treated you like family and really cared for their employees. I was taught a lot about inside sales and how to maintain inventory and the ordering process. I also had a big hand in maintaining good relationships with some of the accounts. Product knowledge was very important so I learned how to study about the products and apply that knowledge to the sales part of my job.
Pros
hours
Cons
Pay/advancement
A great company to work
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZFebruary 11, 2018
A typical day at work is loading and unloading semi trucks with rebar and support other departments. What I learned from CMC was how to operate in a safe manner various forklifts, semi truck, and propane torch. The work place culture was fast paced and easy-going. The hardest part of the job was the 60 hour weeks. The most enjoyable part of the job was all of the benefits and overtime.
Poor work environment
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Seguin, TXFebruary 10, 2018
Management was poor
Lack of advancement
No family/social life outside of work
Always about "fairness"
No constructive feedback is welcomed from employees
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
No family/social life outside work; corporate bureaucracy
Great Place to Work
Corporate Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cayce, SCJanuary 31, 2018
Excessive traveling is not conducive to family life. It was an extremely great place to work. The work culture was fantastic. Everyone understood what it took to be safe and productive.
Pros
The People
Cons
Travel
It’s a ever growing company
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 31, 2018
The company has recently passed its centennial mark and is still moving forward in its industry. They have various business world wide. The culture is growing and that is what will continue to make a world of difference in its growth.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commercial Metals Company. Our community is ready to answer.