Commission on Economic Opportunity Employee Reviews

awesome place to work
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAApril 10, 2018
A wonderful work environment
co-workers supportive of each other
great place to work and get paid to help the community you live in
awesome employee benefits
Bait and Switch
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYFebruary 20, 2018
The company frequently hires employees on one premise with certain benefits, then eliminates the benefits. Management acts with lack of moral or ethical compass. They do not follow Company Handbook on anything and most managers are horrible leaders. I am very thankful I got out of that place and now work for a legitimate company with legitimate benefits and standards. Appreciate your people and they will appreciate you. HIGH TURNOVER speaks volumes about a company or department.
Pros
40 hour work week, you receive a bi weekly paycheck
Cons
Low vacation amounts, lack of standards, mistakes occur frequently in major areas, lack of professionalism, no 403b, low pay, no bonuses and low raises, no tuition assistance, bad benefits.
Relaxed environment with great, caring people
Marketing Coordinator/Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYFebruary 11, 2018
Everyone was very easy to work with. Never felt over worked. Good work/life balance. Workplace culture is incredible, which was huge for me. Hardest part was the salary was a bit low, but you will have that working for a non-profit.
Fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYJanuary 18, 2018
CEO is a wonderful company to work for. They provide many fun and exciting opportunities to employees to interact and learn all aspects of the programs.
This job was okay
Case managers assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PASeptember 27, 2017
The ppl here are nice and they try to help u in any way possible. It is in a convenient location and you get out around 5pm. Perfect for ppl with you children. The only thing is that this is a non profit organization,so the pay rate there isn't really the best.
Great company. Lots of community programs
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJuly 24, 2017
CEO is a non for profit organization. They have lots of job opportunities within their company. Management listens to staff. The culture is diverse. The hardest part of the job is getting time off the and the most enjoyable is the families and children.
Pros
lunches included
Cons
hard to get time off
Ceo
Food Pantry Assitant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJune 24, 2017
CEO was a great place to work. However, my immediate supervisor and manager were not qualfiied for their positions. I really enjoyed my work with the customers and appreciate the opportunity I was given. Wish I had more mentors as this was my first full time job.
Pros
Great working conditions
Cons
Lack of support and qualifications of supervisor and manager.
Productive and easy going environment
Intern (Current Employee) –  Tunkhannock, PAMarch 17, 2017
CEO is a great place to work and gain experience right out of school, The workplace is very friendly and it is easy to move around among departments and work with various programs.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks, friendly coworkers, understanding management
Cons
repetitive, slow at times
Benefits amazing, job amazing, boss was not
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYNovember 7, 2016
They offer 13 paid holidays a year! And even provide surrounding weekdays off if the holiday falls on a weekend. Ok medical dental eye etc benefits. 403b is a decently offered plan.

A lot of the direct managers are terrible. Micromanagement runs rampant in this company for some reason and none of the directors would ever realize they are terrible. It's a great company to work for but the managers just ruin the jobs.
Pros
Paid holidays and vacation time
Cons
Micromanagement, low pay
Enriched learning environment
Internship (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYMay 24, 2016
CEO is an enriched learning environment with a plethora of opportunities for continuous growth and development. This internship was quite intriguing.
A busy office with hundreds of patients who expected a high level of care by the clerks as well as the nurses.
Housing Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hazleton, PAFebruary 24, 2016
Schedule appointments for patients to follow their continuing care plan involving their Cholesterol and Hypertension. Accommodate patients according to their needs at the request of the nurse who maintained their follow up care. Pull files for the 15 nurses and the 2 Doctors on staff. Follow up phone calls to confirm appointments with patients and reschedule if necessary. Answer incoming calls for an office with hundreds of patients who were in the 32BJ union. Worked well with my co-workers and we were able to count on each other for assistance when necessary. Doctor's were very pleasant and the some nurses pulled their own files. The hardest part of the job for me was probably dealing with patient's renins and finger sticks.
Pros
A lot of coworkers.
Cons
A lot of coworkers.
A great CAP agency to work for
Energy Auditor & Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYJanuary 4, 2016
A community action agency serving all of Rensselaer County providing services to low income families in an effort to help elevate them to a better life.
fun workplace
Community Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYJuly 23, 2015
Love working here, you get to meet new people and network. The people I work with are friendly and awesome. I was also promoted within 6 months.
rewarding place of employment
Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYNovember 9, 2014
friendly atmosphere and lovable children. I learned a lot about head start paperwork as well as regulations.
Excellent opportunity to work with disadvantages teenagers.
Construction Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYFebruary 10, 2014
I was a construction teacher for a program that employed disadvantaged youth. From ages 18-24, both men and woman were under my tutelage. I would order materials through purchase orders, then show in great detail the order and execution of the projects at hand, that all revolved around a 2 family house that we gutted completely and refinished to a working 2 family home. The program director, the other construction teacher and the guidance counselor were all the most amazing people geared towards making a difference with our youth. I loved working there. The hardest part of the job was the emotions of hearing the rough up bringing that some these kids had to endure. The best part was seeing the same kids rise above there problems, against all odds, and become hard working men and women who are doing right by there families.
Pros
I feel i made a difference in the lives of these people.
Cons
Funding for program was lost, and i was forced to move on.
fun while learning through play
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYOctober 10, 2013
loved teaching through play. family involvement was a plus and asset to children achieving goals.
Pros
great staff
Cons
weekends
Summer youth help
SUMMER YOUH HELP (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYSeptember 27, 2013
I loved everything about I was working in the infant room going at for walks helping feed the babies I would come in at 8am and leave at 12
Helped people find jobs
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Ford Heights, ILJune 12, 2013
Typed up grants, answered phone, filing and greeted people for their appointments.
Pros
Learned how to help people
Cons
There were none
Worse place to work EVER (troy, ny)
case worker (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYApril 19, 2013
If you are looking to work for an organization that is ethical and really cares about people, this place is not it. They call themselves a not-for-profit but yet all they care about is money. The supervisors lack experience and education. Many of them do not even have an associate degree but they think they know more than their staff whom are highly educated in a number of different programs. They will not promote you from within and will actually try to demote you and get ride of you if they don't like you. If you are liked, someone will create a position for you. The administration call themselves "the cabinet" as if they are better than those who actually do the ground work. On top of that, pay can be pretty low and micromanagement is outrageous. You also always have to worry about the funding for your program being cut. Look elsewhere if your smart, if you are desperate, make it a temporary thing but if your on unemployment keep looking...........
Cons
management, program cuts, 30 min lunch breaks, low pay, no staff appreciation
unprofessional
social services (Former Employee) –  troy nyJanuary 11, 2013
When I applied I was told one thing and then when I went back in to sign paper work it was a lower amount. i told them I had a driving infraction and they said that it was ok. I worked for about 2 weeks and then they called me into the office and said they had to let me go because of the infraction I told them about and which they said it was ok. Since then I have re applied 8 years later and went in for an interview. Never heard back from them about it. I called and no response. very unprofessional.