Commonbond Communities Employee Reviews

upper management
Multi-Site Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Excelsior, MNJuly 23, 2018
upper management at the time of my employment wasn't very good about being supportive. they did not care about safety on site. all she cared about was if she looked good. she did not even care that the maintenance tech of 20yrs got sick from her sending him into an apt to clean up after a fire which he had no idea how to do, he then had a heartache and passed away.

the regional mgr at the time is longer at this company
Pros
coworkers
Cons
upper mgmt
Great Place To Work
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 28, 2018
This was an excellent company to work for. Training was great. Connection to corporate office was great. No advancement opportunity unless I moved to the Metro Area.
Affordable Housing with Services Offered
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Little Canada, MNFebruary 28, 2018
Great company to work for and the community is awesome. Equal Opportunity Employee. Employees have lots of room for growth within the company and volunteer staff available .
Pros
trainings
Cons
healtcare
Job security and benefits are amazing
Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 28, 2017
Fun place to work with job security. A typical day can be stressful. I learned so much about being an assistant property manager. I highly recommend Commonbond Communities.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Expensive health care
Reliable, Professional with office core values, always willing to learn more. Typically my day is very busy, I work in a fast pace environment that re
Compliance Technician (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 12, 2017
Typically my day is very busy, I work in a fast pace environment that requires constant attention to detail eyes and ears. In Compliance you learn something new everyday, this is why communication with management is vital in every situation. Our work place cultural is very diverse and team oriented. The hardest part of the job is meeting deadlines with auditors and the best part of my job is serving the community. We speak nine different languages here and it is so wonderful learning other cultural differences at first hand.
Pros
Residents, Schedule and having the ability to work independently
Cons
Noise level with teen programs
Great training company, not much room for advancement.
Compliance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 12, 2017
Great training company to get your foot in the door for Property Management, however were not willing to help you advance at all. Great people, but management was more into the dollar signs then the people.
Average to good employer
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove MN and Champlin MinnesotaApril 10, 2017
A non-profit company which went through a ton of changes in the corporate office and upper management staff in years I worked there. It is difficult to adequately rate current structure because it went through so many changes.

The company provided good benefits for their employees with adequate time off.

Level of compensation varied, depending upon the immediate supervisor who was or was not handing out pay increases.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
a ton of pressure to perform
Creating bonds at CommonBond
Youth Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 30, 2017
CommonBond Communities has a strong mission, and when you join this organization, you feel like you are making a big difference. Each day I get to work with enthusiastic and very open people. Working with youth is always a fun and interesting experience, because they are still developing into their own. I truly enjoy working with the youth and the management. However, the compensation could be improved, but other than that, you couldn't ask to work at a better place.
still getting it together
Marketing and Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 3, 2017
depending on which regional manager you are lucky to fall under your experience can be very different than expected. some managers have help from their regionals. some do not. the ones who do not suffer and so do their buildings and resident.
Educational and Fun!
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 3, 2015
I worked at Common Bond when I was in High School, it was really fun and great to learn from. This company taught me a lot of the ways I act in my on going positions right now.
Well-run, mission-driven organization
Youth Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 22, 2015
Work/Life balance was decent for the coordinator level, and as expected, seemed to get more challenging for higher positions.

Compensation and benefits are modest, but competitive for similar nonprofit roles.

It is a very steep climb to be able to advance from part-time to full-time positions, especially in Youth Services, but there is good security once in a FT position.

People in management positions are accessible and responsive.

The work culture varies by site. I had amazing coworkers where I was based. There doesn't seem to be a culture of happy hours or other after-work activities established though.
Pros
Coworkers, Mission, Front-runner in field
Cons
Support and job intensity can vary a lot by site
Call Center
Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 28, 2015
It was not my ideal position of work but it had it's advantages overall being I had to interact with customers over the phone daily.
Workplace that promotes independence and dignity for all its residents.
Advantage Services Coordinator Intern (Current Employee) –  West St. Paul, MNMarch 24, 2015
• Work with older adults and people with disabilities connecting them with a variety of relevant resources.
• Conduct formal evaluative assessments including the Live Well at Home Rapid Risk Assessment.
• Facilitate monthly Roundtable Discussions.
• Deliver individual case management services.
• Attend weekly one on one supervision meetings and offered insight about best practice models.
• Provide informal counseling and conflict resolution skills training.
• Participate in the Peaceful Communities Committee and offered ideas to address bullying that occurs in CommonBond housing.
Flexible, Fun, and Fulfilling
Maintenance Technician I (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 10, 2015
Commonbond Communities is a well rounded, flexible and enjoyable place to work with upward movement potential. Lots of learning opportunities. They paid for my boiler License
Pros
Frequent group cookouts, exploratory opportunities
Providing affordable housing to those in need.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 21, 2014
1.) Repair various equipment throughout the building. Cleaning and trash removal on days opposite of work orders.2.) I learned how to work with many people Exspecially seniors who are very demanding and set in their ways.3.) Manegement was very hard because they didnt have a onsite Manager that would stay with the company for to long. So I had to help out and answer a lot of questions that I didnt have the answers to.4.) My co-workers were fabulous I loved all them and would do anything for them.5.) Hardest part of the job was trying to stay within the budget.6.) The most enjoyable part were the seniors who lived in the building and my co-workers.
Pros
11 paid holidays
Cons
Not having enough money per year for the budget.
Productive workplace full of advancement
Caretaker/ Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 2, 2014
A great company to work for that I love helping out each and every resident.
Value led organization
Youth Program Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNOctober 3, 2013
CommonBond Communities is an organization that benefits people in the upper midwest with affordable housing and services
Engaging workplace, positive, goal-oriented, and inclusive
YOUTH PROGRAMS COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 8, 2013
I work with youth at a CommonBond property. The work is very rewarding and I'm afforded a lot of responsibility to plan activities and projects with youth. The families at this site are wonderful and are very kind to staff. Property management also has a close relationship with staff that serve the residents, and my coworkers were always very flexible and supportive. However, I can't give CommonBond 4 or 5 stars because youth workers are paid a very low wage (between $900-$1100/month, hours change seasonally) and it is difficult to find a way to move up in the company. I do receive benefits (PTO, holiday pay, enrolled in 401k after 1000 hours) even though I am part-time, but I would trade them for a higher wage and regular hours in a heartbeat. I work 1 PM until 7 or 7:30 PM four days a week. The youth supervisors are paid more but it is not a good wage to raise a family on, and the hours can be very inconvenient (evenings and sometimes weekends). It seems that many of the sites are understaffed and a lot of work can be piled on one person. The people who choose to work for CommonBond are like-minded and healthy individuals who are great coworkers, but there is high turnover due to lack of good pay. I don't know about the health plan because I am not eligible, but I have heard it's so-so.
Pros
positive work environment, diverse, interesting, engaging, rewarding
Cons
low pay, bad hours
Fun Place to work! :D
Youth Programs Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 5, 2013
Co-workers are amazing and so are the field trips! Best of all, the kids are life changing! :D
Pros
Environment, community, residents
Cons
Part-time, mid-day hours
The most enjoyable experience ever. I helped establish in-house programs for chronically homeless adults.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 24, 2012
A typical day at work was sitting down with my manager and establishing what program(s) we were going to work first. I enjoyed helping individuals reach or find their highest potential. I set out to establish programs that were informative, provocative and educational for the residents of that community.The most challenging part of the job was working with other organizations, trying to get them to see the value of working with that class of people. I was the lead volunteer for two years with this organization and in my length of time we had established a gardening program, exercise program, residential board, food program, and a clothing program and we changed some of the strict housing rules for the better. We made the community more like a home rather than an institution.
Pros
helping to establish wonderful programming
Cons
was not employed