Commonwealth Financial Network Employee Reviews

great company
New Accounts Representative (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJuly 22, 2019
If your good at math this is the company for you! The upper management is super friendly as well! There is a bit of a learning curve and this company is more of hands off when they training. Overall I think this is a wonderful company and would definitely recommend.
fun work culture
Operations Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJune 15, 2019
great company to work for. Great work life balance. i recommend it to anyone looking to get their start in the finance industry. Great onboarding process.
It all depends on where you are
Technology (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAFebruary 9, 2019
Some departments have great managers, others have inexperienced ones, or managers that have risen to their level of incompetence. The company has a very good reputation on paper, but life on the inside is very different than what is known publicly.
Pros
Many social events
Cons
It's all hype
Great Company If You Are "In"
Account Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAFebruary 6, 2019
The company itself was great to work for, but unfortunately it did tend to be very cliquey at times. If you did not get along with a co-worker and they were promoted above you, you were screwed. If you did a great job in your current department, managers wouldn't approve you interviewing with other departments. I was told on more than several occasions that if I wanted to leave my department, I should consider leaving the company. Work hours were very rigid and there was no work/life balance to take care of things that needed to be taken care of (family, dr. appts, school).
Pros
free gym, friday bagels
Cons
every minute is accounted for - scheduled time off of phones, scheduled bathroom breaks, half hour lunches
Good company culture but dull environment
New Accounts Associate (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJanuary 24, 2019
The culture at Commonwealth is fun, enjoyable and comfortable. The job itself is easy to learn, but in my opinion not fulfilling, satisfying, or enjoyable. The workload is mostly data entry and customer service/client relations; mostly working with financial advisors and aiding them in establishing brokerage/retirement accounts. The job is not exciting, but there is opportunity to learn about the industry, different careers and inner functions of the company. The most enjoyable part of the job are the employees, as they are very welcoming and generally easy to get along with.
laid back
New Accounts Contractor (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MADecember 5, 2018
no stress at all. get to go at your own pace. no real pressure from managers. get to do your own thing. basically your own boss. coworkers very helpful when asking for help.
Analyst
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAOctober 29, 2018
Great company culture/ people. The company is supportive in your career growth and helps you attain goals. Different areas of company offer different career paths. Great benefits.
Tenure
Director (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAOctober 24, 2018
A lot of people have been here a long time and it's hard to ever feel accepted.

Management at the partner level is mixed...some are really fantastic while others have no business managing people or running things.
Pros
great extra benefits once you are there 3 years
Cons
depends on who you report on up to
Great culture but poor management
New Accounts Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 15, 2018
The people at Commonwealth are what make it an amazing place; however, management are like fossils. You have to fight to convince folks that doing things a new way will work better than how it's been for the past 20 years.

Upper management needs to learn how to pick their battles and stop finger pointing when there is an issue. Own it like a team and fix the problem
Pros
culture, activities to be involved in
Cons
upper management, finger pointing
Not the place for me
Operations Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJuly 24, 2018
Didn't enjoy the attitude of management. Unclear who you will be working for. Slow to fix simple issues. Lack of company direction. Phone job is just answering 50+ calls a day from mindless advisors.
Good Place to work
Financial Advisor Intern (Current Employee) –  Easton, MAJuly 24, 2018
I really liked it here. I had a great time. Great great great time working here. I would not change it. The people are awesome and the Employees are really helpful.
Collaborative and quick-paced place to work
Advisor's Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Haven, CTMay 17, 2018
- Would shadow the financial advisor in meetings and phone calls, scheduled appointments and got paperwork ready for client meetings
-All about stocks, life insurance, 401K plans, etc.
-Hardest part was keeping up with the financial advisor I worked for
-I loved learning the ins and outs of the finance world
Don’t work here, go back into the city.
UX Designer (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAApril 7, 2018
This place is way behind on technology and processes. They use PowerPoint for wire framing and the lack of creative thinking is unreal. Of you're just looking for a job you found the place, of you're looking to design forward thinking experiences, go back into the city.
Nice benefits but the work is tedious
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAFebruary 13, 2018
I worked in Waltham for a couple of years. The company offers a lot of benefits and professional development which is great. Work life balance is way off unless you are a partner. PTO (paid time off) is very stingy and I find does not balance out the benefits. Working Christmas Eve was the worst! I would much prefer more time off to recharge and balance. My manager was all but absent and had no idea what I did. But if I made a mistake I heard about it in an instant. No compassion or introspection on managements part. No support when you are overwhelmed, just do it is the mentality. Young workforce, some are really motivated and some are on their phones all day.
Pros
Nice benefits and activities
Cons
No support or work life balance. Cliquey.
Cfn
Operations Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAJanuary 30, 2018
The Operations Support Specialist position as a college grad was an excellent exposure to financial services industry. Great workplace culture, pay is below industry standard.
Amazing
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Plainwell, MIJanuary 5, 2018
A great company to work for. Get people to get to know and work for. They love all of their clients and get personal with everyone of them. I was sad when I had to leave due to moving. They helped me move and took care of me the best they could. Truly an amazing company.
Director of Enterprise Technology (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MADecember 30, 2017
Commonwealth is the type of place to work if you want a stable environment that is not pushing the boundaries or taking to many chances. The hours are reasonable and you are recognized for your work. Overall Commonwealth is a great place to call home for a long period of time.
Postive
New Accounts Associate (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MANovember 25, 2017
Great company with awesome benefits! Everyday is a positive day to work in with great management and teamwork. The company loves to give back in any way they can and are always willing for new suggestions.
Cfn
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAOctober 21, 2017
Great company to work for.
Latest technology
Management team easy to work with
Great team, they all worked together.
Some times long hours
On call 24/7 for 1 week out of 8
Pros
Greate benifits
Cons
not always able to take training
Great Work Environment/Culture with Lack of Comparable Pay/Benefits
Helpdesk Specialist (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXSeptember 26, 2017
I enjoyed working for Commonwealth but the lack of benefits and competitive pay was a dealbreaker for me (due to the contract with American Helpdesk). Work day was typical and they had a strong support system in their leads/management for the helpdesk
Pros
Strong support for employees from leads/management
Cons
No benefits