Commonwealth of Kentucky

Commonwealth of Kentucky Employee Reviews

United States348 reviews

kentuckystatekygovernmentretirementcourtraisejudge

Job security

Good career if you are starting out. Many do not require college degree. Does qualify for public student loan forgiveness. Will never not be compensated for working more than required.

Good people good job

Worked for and with several others. All good people. Rewarding job. Worked there for 20 years. Good benefits, inc health insurance, vacation days, 401 plan

Commonwealth of Kentucky insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Do not do it!!

Plan on having a high caseload with little support, working at least 10 hours + per day, and still not getting caught up with work. Very stressful, the number of people you have to see per case is absurd. The demands of this job are not worth it. The probation period for this job is way too long. The amount of paperwork is ridiculous. You are in court 2 days per week so you can't really do any of your work on those days.

Pros

Cons

Don't have time to take a lunch break, long hours, high case loads

Productive-sory of

It is government. What you imagine about government job is pretty much it. Do one thing, and then do 5 more to justify, explain & confirm that one thing was done.

Go for it

Working as an Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney is the best job out of last school. There simply isn’t another place you can go to work and learn how to litigate cases, quickly and efficiently, with excellent support staff.

Not a good place to work long term.

Little chance of promotion. No raises in 10+ years. New hires are enrolled in a pitiful retirement plan. Poor to fair management. You can accumulate vacation and sick leave with no limit on time. Depending on the cabinet you work for you may be allowed to accumulate approximately 200 hours of compensatory time for additional work. It’s a pretty easy place to work if you need to take off to care for elderly or children. I worked there 10 years, always received outstanding performance evaluations, and never received a cost of living increase, only one pay increase.

Good

Good hours and work life balance. Pay is decent but should be higher considering a degree is required.

Interesting

Nice people, interesting work and pleasant environment. Everyone is very capable and dependable and easy to work with. The only con is that the pay hadn’t changed in several years.

Very few raises, bad work environment

Poor management Very few raises Poor communication Paid sick and annual leave is a plusThey ask way too much out of employees And don’t provide protection.

Pros

Paid time for sick and annual leave accumulates

Cons

Very poor management

It Is What You Make Of It

Not everyone is made to be in the social worker field. I was able to move up from an investigator position to a Specialist position by networking and getting good annual reviews. Certain supervisors are micromanagers and the BIGGEST issue is the high case loads. The benefits are good in my opinion, but may be different for someone with a family. Now you can telecommute which is a plus.

Not appreciated by management

Never feel appreciated by management and the children we work with are more like numbers instead of being treated as they really matter. Policy changes so often you can't keep up with it

What is the best part of working at ?State jobs offer good benefits and prettyset hours. Weekends off is a great plus. Also really good benefits. What is the most stressful part about working at Commonwealth of Kentucky?The worst part is the pay. I feel like you will never be fairly compensated for your worth and time put in. What is the work environment and culture like at Commonwealth of Kentucky Department of Corrections?Every office is different. Mine is very laid back and a friendly environment.

Management is terrible. Your over worked and under paid. No trading o how to do ur job.

Don’t work for the stat of Ky. Your over worked with no help from management. It is overwhelming. There is no one to help or to train you on the different things you will come across.

My workplace was very stressful, but we still seem to have fun and we were like family most of the time.

I really liked working for the state of Ky , there were more pros. Than cons. I loved getting off every weekend, and every Holiday with pay, and I enjoyed that we had a nice office to work in, warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Pros

7.5 HR days with 1 hour for lunch. And getting off every weekend and holiday.

Cons

Not many raises.

Overworked and poorly paid

You are brought in at below market value for job and there is minimal opportunity to advance. Yearly increment was stolen 15 years ago which completely stagnated wages. There are always 500+ jobs open which they can never fill. Only if you can't get a job asking "Do you want fries with that?" should you consider working here.

Underpaid overworked

My experience working for the state was a negative one; I was overworked and underpaid; there was no flexibility and management showed poor ability for advancement

No work/family life balance

4 day 12 hr shifts.Super understaffedNot a pleasant environmentYou work 4 12 hr days with no real breaks. It's like babysitting grown adultsNot a great job if you have small kids

Good time off, that’s it

Retirement is never going to be there, pay is terrible, nepotism at its finest in hiring, management clueless. They don’t like free thinkers they want to bark orders and do things like they’ve always done it even if ineffective and silly. I guess you get what you’re willing to pay for in terms of employees. Everyone is underpaid unless you know people or get lucky. They do whatever they want and do not care about you at all. But time off is great. Good job for people with no motivation, family types that need time off and don’t need to accomplish anything professionally. If you like to make excuses you can get real far because they just use actual workers so they can sit back and do nothing

Opportunity

I enjoyed the experiences however the pay is much lower than other states. I had a pretty good supervisor and she was great however she had a tendency of talking about staff members to one another. I did not appreciate the treatment that I observed once I gave my 2 week notice and at that point that is when she stated to other people that I did not do a good job with my job and she never discussed those comments with me. So I did not have a good experience with that supervisor or the pay that Kentucky paid

Awful

Very low pay, retirement is awful and they demand to much overtime that leaves no room for a personal life. Job description does not disclose that the job requires traveling through a large section of the state, you have to use your own vehicle, that you would be on call.

Pros

Cons

Everyhing

The veterans were awesome. Very rewarding to serve them. Toxic mgmt.

Management is toxic. Instead of looking for opportunities for improvement they look for opportunities to write people up, suspend or for them. This could be an amazing place to work with the right leadership.

Pros

Working with veterans, paid holidays

Cons

Poor compensations, undo stress brought on by toxic management

Common questions about Commonwealth of Kentucky

Answered by current and former employees at Commonwealth of Kentucky

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commonwealth of Kentucky. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits