Commonwealth of Kentucky Employee Reviews

DOR became an unbearble place to work with the current administration.
Revenue Field Auditor IV (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 18, 2018
Employees must be self driven to learn as much as they can to qualify for advancement. Must find outside sources to learn skills needed for personal advancement. DOR promotes those who are friends with managers above them. Others not in the click will never be promoted. Apparently, no communication between governor and staff because DOR created more red tape in the last 2 years than any administration.
Typical Government Bureaucracy
Administrative Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYOctober 17, 2018
It was a very rewarding job. Enjoyed interacting with the customers and meeting their needs and resolving conflicts. A typical day started with greeting the employees and discussing current events and the day's workload.The hardest part of the job was reminding myself that not everyone can run at the same pace or learn at the same speed, but everyone will get to the finish line if they continue moving forward. The most enjoyable part was watching employees reach their goals and knowing you played a small part in that success.
Pros
1 annual day, 1 sick day a month, medical ins, Life ins
Cons
No ST/LT Disability Ins, no dental or vision ins
Not a good place to work for
Maintenance supervisor (Former Employee) –  Spencer County, KYOctober 16, 2018
It wasn't bad to work for but you had upper management and managers that they put in their positions that are not totally qualified or care less about any of their employees. very very political for what you have to do, the pay is not very good ,never get raises it's a very poor place to work for. They need to make a change in upper management to benefit regular employees.
Pros
Having some benefits and days off
Cons
Did any kind of respect from upper management always criticize constantly, upper management only cares for their self and nobody below them
Only if you are desparate!
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Graves County, KYOctober 10, 2018
I was so excited to have this job. I learned very quickly however that I was on my own. Nobody cared to teach/tell me anything about my job. I was bullied by a few other coworkers. Management was very poor. They have their "pets" and if you are not one then you might as well hang it up. You can do your absolute best and still be hated for no reason. Supervisors very immature. Just think middle school mentality. At any rate, so very disappointing because I got my degree in social work to truly be able to help others. It is a shame that the state does not care about their employees well being and allows such unprofessional tactics to continue. I would not recommend this job to my worst enemy. You have been warned.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Backstabbing/Middle School Mentality/Immature Supervisors/Bullying allowed.
Narcissistic work environment where bullying by supervisors and coworkers is encouraged.
OSA II (Former Employee) –  Laurel County, KYOctober 2, 2018
Laurel County office is horrible. 85% of the employees are bullies and back stabbers. You will be constantly dumped on and belittled. HR is no help. Grievances were filed and nothing ever changed. You will be set up for failure. You will be given so much to do, not enough time to do it and then asked what your barriers are to completing your job duties. You will never get a raise after your probationary increase.
Hated working in Frankfort
Geologist (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYSeptember 27, 2018
I loved most of the people I worked with. A few people made it miserable for everyone else. The people over the section I worked are over payed crooks. The best about stage work is all the days off and the comp time you can earn.
Could be great. Culture needs work!
Golf and Grounds Departments Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lucas, KYSeptember 27, 2018
Some team players make it a nice place to show up every day. Accomplishments are celebrated because they are rare. Constantly expected to perform task under less than ideal circumstances. Not enough manpower, dated(old) facilities and equipment, software, etc. Leadership changes personnel and directions often. No raises, retirement benefits are now a 401k. Expectations of customers does not change, which can be frustrating at times.
customer services
Package Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Paducah, KY,September 26, 2018
Customer Services, I can learn any job position if I put my mind to it, was not as diversity, wanted full time work in management, my manager is a great leader
Pros
opportunity
Cons
don't give up
Office environment with many things happening at 1 time
Adjudicator (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYSeptember 10, 2018
Worked in an office fielding calls and conducting investigations with conversations between employer and claimants . Must be able to multi task and manage several things at one time including caseloads . Must be detailed oriented and able to communicate the need for necessary information.
Pros
work schedule flexibility
State corrections us about people management
Kentucky State Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Valley, KYSeptember 2, 2018
There a a few areas in this world where there is a culture and a sub culture and the two collide inside the penal institution.
If you can't manage people who are just like you but serving a sentence because of being judged a deviant this is not for you
Pros
Work is mentally challenging
Cons
Work is mentally challenging
Low pay, very slow advancement opportunities
Disability Adjudicator (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 26, 2018
I work for the Disability Determination Service. The work is very demanding but helping others in need is rewarding. The pay is very low considering the knowledge that must be obtained and the importance of the position. Any advancement is very limited and a 4 yr training period must be completed before being eligible for any meaningful advancement.
Great job with no raises.
Family Support Specialist II/Case Manager I (Current Employee) –  Paducah, KYAugust 23, 2018
Great job with no raises. I work 8:00-4:30 Monday to Friday and mandatory overtime was required until 6 but that has recently.looking for something new in a different city
Pros
Monday to Friday
Cons
Extreme caseloads.
It's the Goverment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYAugust 17, 2018
Like any other Government job... It's pretty miserable in the entry level. Management is unorganized and are not held to any standard. The lower level jobs do the work of the higher staff, wouldn't ever go back. The only part that didn't suck was the schedule.
Cons
Almost everything besides the schedule.
My summary
Medicaid Spe (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYAugust 15, 2018
I loved working for the commonwealth within itself. I come from a long line of family who have devoted their lives to public Service. I wouldn't be leaving if it wasn't for management.
Friendly Atmosphere
Executive Assistant/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYAugust 14, 2018
Set up customer service window and unlock doors for incoming clients.
Greet clients with a friendly and appropriate welcome.
Answer incoming calls professionally and transfer to correct contact person.
Open and log all mail coming in by Mail. Fax and e-mail.
Assist other departments as needed.
Maintain Phone Numbers for office and field staff.
Maintain office equipment service calls.
Maintain building Issue service calls.
Best part of my day is assisting others with a positive outcome .
Pros
Positive work atmosphere
Cons
No advancement opportunity
It was okay
Network Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJuly 6, 2018
A nice place to work. We were like family. Good salary working in information technology and management. I retired after working 27 years for the Commonwealth of Kentucky. I enjoyed the experience.
Pros
It was okay
Cons
Benefits are not that great for incoming employees
Poor Management
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Columbia KyJune 7, 2018
Poor management a lot of teacher’s pet brown nosing. Back stabbing by upper management .It doesn’t matter how hard you work it’s never good enough.. A lot of expectations and never getting a raise.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
on call A lot being called all hours of the night for stupid stuff
Toxic work environment
Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Paintsville, KYJune 7, 2018
Everyone is out for themselves. No trust in this company. They don’t care about their employees. Rules/policy are forever changing in this company. Nothing is ever set in stone.
The only real benefit working for the commonwealth was a paycheck
Maintenance, janitorial, lawn care (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJune 6, 2018
when I first started with the commonwealth the pay was 9.25 per hour at 40 hours per week, then they raised my after being there for a year, but cut my hours back to 37 hours per week, they had one person doing janitorial, maintenance, safety inspections, lawn care and partime security for two armories and is supposed to get everything done with 37 hours per week. Too much work for too little pay.
Pros
Cons
to much work for too little pay
Ability to Work for the Public and Regulatory Knowledge a Must
Medicaid Service Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYMay 30, 2018
Organized, and a somewhat quick paced job, depending on the time of year (legislative session) or down times...the culture is somewhat politically motivated if you were seeking promotions...hardest part of job was teaching managers younger than myself, their jobs....most enjoyable part was the feeling of family among other workers.
Pros
Benefits such as insurance, life insurance, etc.
Cons
Plaing politics