Commonwealth of Kentucky
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Commonwealth of Kentucky Employee Reviews

United States302 reviews
I cannot say that I enjoyed the time I worked there. I did use the benefit to get my Bachelor's degree.
I would not discourage anyone from working for the state. It is basically a job till retirement in 28 years.
My position requires me to work in a call center environment. It can become very noisy and busy at times. There are good days, right along with bad days.
There was no planning for this program and absolutely no organization.
The IT personnel were the most incompetent bunch of people I have ever met. Both management and IT personnel gave instructions that always fell through. Always!! They just told you anything to get you off of the phone!

The program is run by young college graduates who have absolutely no life experiences. They impress themselves with zoom, MSTEAMS, zip files, apps, and downloads. Their lack of real effort causes more time and stress for all involved. What a disaster! The hours were long and I worked seven days a week due to their disorganization. They do not understand the meaning of efficiency. The compensation was horrible!!! In fact, people who answered the telephone made almost as much as I did! Responsibilities increased daily which included training all staff, including local hires, handling all IT equipment and issues, approving payroll for staff, delivering laptops, monitors, cellphones and all other equipment to various counties. The disorganization caused great delays in implementing the program and became a great burden to all of the local health departments. Ironically. the overall goal was to take the burden off of the health departments. Travel reimbursement was extremely low. The process to get reimbursed was such a lengthy burden that I figured they needed the money more than I did! I paid for items out of pocket such as ink and office supplies because they refused to help in that area. Run!!! Do not work for the Commonwealth of Kentucky!
Pros
There were absolutely no pros
Cons
No time for lunch, poor compensation, disorganization, lack of support for staff (absent).
It is a tough place to work. Emotional strain and stress. Management out of touch with needs of frontline staff. Expectations increase and are not reality. Managers are frequently threatened by good employees fearing for power a d control.
Pros
Benefits are not bad
Cons
Stressful lack of support. Quick to judge
I worked with a very bitter, lying and manipulative co-worker. She bullied and harassed me multiple times, it was reported, grievances filed, complaints made and NOTHING was ever done about it. I eventually left my position. That co-worker has now been promoted. I guess stealing, falsifying timesheets and harassing co-workers go a long long way.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
It is a fun place to work with peace of mind—helpful people around every office. I loved working for the State of Kentucky. No traffic, no great restaurants around the Frankfort area.
I love helping members and people. I get to work with people that I like. I like what I do. I know a lot about my job. It can be interesting and sometimes hard.
In working for the state as an administrative law judge, you hold a great deal of responsibility for your work and decisions. At one point in time, we had the potential of making $1,000,000.00 in decisions each week. Our decisions can have a large impact on the case participants. It is imperative that you research your cases well, so that you can hold a concise, orderly, and effective hearing, leading to a correct legal decisions. As an administrative law judge you are under a great deal of pressure, due to the case load and mental requirements of the position. Our department has a culture in which we work as individuals and are also very quick to help coworkers. The more experienced employees spend any necessary time training and aiding the less experienced employees.
It is very reasonable. Very friendly and positive attitude. I would recommend this job to anyone who is looking. People are very willing to help. And just seeing clients happy makes it all worth while.
No place for old school social workers that work with the family and in the best interest of the family. Now the family is not the priority, reports were.
Great work/life balance and great benefits.

A great learning experience with an amazing work environment.

the hardest part about the job is communicating and relying on other sections within the department.
I was hired to redesign a website. It was great in the beginning. My boss loved my designs. Later, in the Commonwealth's infinite governmental wisdom, they declared that every department must use this hideous amateurish interface. I have been designing for 25 years, and I wasn't allowed to even change a font size.

HORRIBLE place to work. Currently looking for another job.
Pros
Compensation, but not worth it.
Cons
Everything else
The training was a joke, the Lexington office definitely needs to work on the "job shadowing". They throw you out to the wolves and expect to know everything as soon as training was over. To many structure changes and favoritism. I would not recommend this job.
Pros
Benefits are decent, paid time off is nice
Cons
The pay and managers
I was looked over on a few occasions for promotion because of race. I did my work and always showed up for my shift and would cover for others if needed.
Managment in DCBS is the worst I've seen from the local office to central office in Frankfort. All the people do "above" is look at numbers all day and tasks that are complete or are not. They do not care why certain things are not getting done and dont care the reason. As in lack of staff and then when they do hire hire too many people at time to have Principals train and read after. I'm sure it not like this in smaller counties offices but it is likes this in Fayette co.
Supervision is awful and passive aggressive. Case load is too high. They let certain workers goof off on the clock and brag about how those workers are their “pets” but stay on the case of others that actually work. If you don’t immediately fit into the office clique, you’ll always be seen as an outsider, gossiped about and conspired against. Have a high turnover of employees for a reason but upper management ignores it. Absolute worst decision of my life was working there
The state of Kentucky leadership on high is very poor. Though mgmt. local can be good. They treat their employees very poorly in terms of compensation and benefits. The state has not given a mere cost of living adjustment for over 18 years. Retirement benefits do not remotely compete with other states let alone private sector equivalents. General morale is dismal. The work environment is at least 40 years behind. The evaluation system is terrible.
This job is not for everyone. You have to have people skills. You have to be able to be flexible in the environment you are in. Have a want to learn new things and take criticism.
Need to let more people help each other when there is an issue that occurs with what your working. Have more communication with each person. Be fair with each individual just not because how you look or who you are. You need team work
I don't normally get into previous employers. However, the actions and behavior of this employer made it clear that they are solely interested in self-advancement. They treat their employees like slaves, and expect absolutely no challenge to their decisions. Working here enabled me to develop patience and compassion for people like this because their lives are so miserable.
If you are hoping for a cost of living increase or any wage increase of any sort you will not get a raise increase from the Commonwealth of Kentucky. The employer doesn’t compensate their employees
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commonwealth of Kentucky. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9