Commonwealth of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

Attention detailed
EDP Operator III (Current Employee) –  Boston, maAugust 17, 2018
Lots of work certain times of the year, but you are always busy. You work at your own speed but definitely need to pay attention to every detail for no mistakes
Outstanding Career Choice
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Concord, MAAugust 1, 2018
Builds character and self esteem

Career Advancement

Commeradery among your fellow corrections officers

Outstanding Salary and Benefits

Retirement Pension Benefits
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Cons
Stress and Boredom at times
Good work life balance
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 30, 2018
Very good work life balance. Sometimes slow and bureaucratic, as with any government job, but overall very stable job. Nice people and warm office culture that still gets things done.
poor leadership from management
Forest and Park Supervisor II (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 30, 2018
most management positions are bought with campaign donations. often, manager will gain or lose their positions during administration changes making them wholly ineffective.
Benefits are great and it’s a 37.5 hour work week
Associate Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJuly 21, 2018
It’s a great full time job! Benefits are great and it is a Monday through Friday 37.5 hour work week and you get to have a life. Most of the positions require a degree and there is room for advancement
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Can be very political
Competitive, cohesive, stressful and fun work enviorment
Executive Office of Public Safety (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 16, 2018
Great opportunity to learn how the state government runs and conducts its business. Gained great insight into the state legislature and its operations.
Correction Officer
Correctional Officer I, (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 27, 2018
I was at the Massachusetts Department of Corrections for 3 years before being involved in a major inmate riot. I was injured and went out on workers compensation.
quick paced but worth the outcome
Direct Care Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAJune 19, 2018
The money was the last thing on my mind knowing what i was working for was the only reason i showed up to work the house i worked for on pembroke was a house with no manager we were running the house on our own until we had half a manager step up and he was barely there our program director stepped up big time. i earned 14 an hour and overtime was good. a day at work was very fast there was 3 clients in the house mostly able to do everything on their own. the hardest part of the job honestly was the politics of the company.
Fun
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAJune 16, 2018
Working in food is charanging high passed but loved it was chalanging high pace learned slot about food and prep before I took culinry for which I graduated with certificate and OSHA and serve safe certificate
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Stressful but a rewarding place to work at
Child protective social worker (Former Employee) –  Whitinsville, MAJune 11, 2018
It was a good place to work at but also very stressful . Very family oriented but also bureacucy . A lot of paper work and some late nights . I would recommend this job for those who have a passion to help others and not just for a paycheck
Pros
Family oriented
Cons
A lot of paper work

Want to know more about Commonwealth of Massachusetts?

Ask a question
Productive Place to work
Programs Coordinator - Trainer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 30, 2018
Productive place to work. Within any given day, I learn that excellent customer service is key in delivering quality services to both customers and employees!
Benefits
Cons
all is good
Decent place to work for the short term
Developmental Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAMay 29, 2018
You are expected to work OT due to the fact you work with individuals who require full time care. The supervisor and the union have there own agenda and if you are not in either of these roles expect your opinion and rights as a worker for this company to not be taken seriously. The most enjoyable part of the job is to know you were making a difference in peoples lives you take care of
Pros
Consistent for the most part day to day work environment
Cons
Not feel like you listened to by Management or the Union
Great place with advancement
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, MAMay 15, 2018
I enjoy my job here I get to work with great people and learn a lot of things on a daily basis.There is always room for advancement and that is one of the reasons I want to retire with the state pension system.
Ecrecc
Telecommunicator (Former Employee) –  Middleton, MAApril 22, 2018
Poor management; unprofessional, no knowledge of the job, phony backstabbers, can’t keep employees even with the pay. Don’t care that people leave, turnover is extremely higher than any other regional dispatch center due to management. Health insurance stinks, GIC is terrible.
Pros
Coworkers, knowing you are helping people
Cons
Management and supervisors
unbelievable cut throat unnecessary postion
prefer not to answer (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MAApril 19, 2018
not interested in the place at all. wish i never worked for the state. typical day is not 8 hours. always answering phone calls and emails. no breaks, unsafe working conditions, unsanitary conditions, unbelievable management, not a good place.;.
co workers make it awesome!
Financial Assistance Social Worker III (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MA and Haverhill, MAApril 14, 2018
A very stressful place that is made tolerable by great co-workers and local office management teams. Clients seen can be going through a very difficult and tumultous time and that can be lessened by the worker. Local office workers are amazing.
Pros
co-workers, salary, benefits
Cons
salaries are per contract with Commonwealth and Union
Too limiting & political
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 14, 2018
Working for the Commonwealth offers a number of benefits I felt there was not given much opportunity for growth. Often "too political" that felt we could not make change, or move things forward.
Benefits
Collaborative mental health recovery!
Human Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicopee, MAApril 9, 2018
No 2 days were the same - significant consultation and planning and support to people in hospital and community. Attention to clinical needs and support to a diverse population across a large service area.
Productive and a good place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  MassDEP - ITOApril 4, 2018
I enjoyed working at MassDEP for several years before I left due to health problem that was affecting my overall health and job performance. I had good benefit package and I am trying to find a job within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts so that I can continue with my benefits as I took deferred retirement when I left in 2016, after 18 years of service. The work condition and environment were very good and people respected each other and worked collaboratively to achieve desired results.
Relaxed but political
Medical Review Examiner (C) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 2, 2018
Great place to work if you have a family as they can be flexible but management is totally political. Managers are not promoted based on ability but demographics and who they know, which is frustrating b/c it discourages productive employees from advancing. Also frustrating is lack of work from home option as central office is in Boston.