Commonwealth of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

Something happened 3 years ago, they left the kid unattended
Snap Worker (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAFebruary 9, 2019
The agency was great until 3 or 4 years ago. They let the kids out of the playpens to rule the roost. Came in as workers and within a year these kids were managers. The millennium management style and tactics really don't work in civilized environments. They do when mommy and daddy sit in executive office. The problem children create what many would go to jail for while others clean up the mess.

Taxpayers beware. You pay for it. Only the elite now have the opportunity to work and serve our state, all others are bullied and harassed until they can't take it anymore.
Pros
Going home
Cons
Management, nepotism, workplace violence
DOR review
Tax Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chelsea, MAFebruary 1, 2019
3-year temporary assignment on call back. A couple of managers are really nice. They could be much better organized and not so strict with everyone.
Pros
hrs 7-3:00 with breaks and lunch
Cons
favoritism, no benefits
Enjoyed testing
Test Proctor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 30, 2019
Loved working as a Test Proctor for Firefighters, EMTs, State Troopers, Police officers, and Promotions Exams. This job was only worked on Saturdays when ever the lottery was set for Civil Service Exams. The day consist assigning 25-40 examinees. Assure no one taking exam has a cell phone or anything other than what given to them by the Test Proctor such as a pencil, exam, and ID license on top of desk (they bring)
Pros
Exciting to grade the finest
Cons
If they did not pass
Working with citizens that need help
Long Term Care Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 18, 2019
Daily challenges to provide the correct assistance to people in need, verifying their story of need and deciding what benefits can be authorized. Challenging to assist each family.
Pros
A sense of completion when the assistance helped the family
Cons
verifying the data
Apply somewhere else
Field Auditor (Former Employee) –  MAJanuary 16, 2019
Please reconsider applying somewhere else as there is so many negative things to say about this place especially if you reside out of MA. The experience at this place has been a nightmare. There's no advancement for growth, there's a lot of micromanagement, no trust, and you are required to travel more than 30%. In fact you will probably be traveling over 50%. There's not a work/life balance and receiving help to advance your career is non existent. If I knew beforehand what I would have endured, I would have never applied. Too many snakes in the grass. Please apply somewhere else.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Management, Lots of Travel, No trust
I would still recommend it
Legislative Aide (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 11, 2019
I loved the work because I enjoy helping people and government, but poor management made it difficult for me to stay. Still, I would still recommend the employer.
Pros
Stressful environment; not a lot of support
Cons
No vacation or sick time available
State Government
Manager, Health Data Quality (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 8, 2019
It was a good place to work and conveniently located in downtown Boston. The IT staff was great to work with and very accommodating and open to sugestions.
Productive fun encouraging happy educational loyal
Soliders Home (Current Employee) –  Chelsea, MAJanuary 3, 2019
My dream job was always to work for the commonwealth. I only wish I applied earlier than I did. I love working there and appreciate they tolerate me lol
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
No employee meals on weekends or after 1 during the week
Outstanding employer
Per Diem Spanish Court Interpreter (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsDecember 31, 2018
The State of Massachusetts has always made me feel appreciated. Also, most managers are very supportive of career and professional goals. Great experience!
Enjoyed
LPN/RN (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MADecember 26, 2018
I enjoyed the freedom of making my own schedule based on what worked for the patient/family. It was also a bonus to be able to coordinate care with other providers and family.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no benefits
High Stress Enviroment with Great Benefits
Developmental Service Worker 1 (Former Employee) –  Templeton, MADecember 10, 2018
A typical day involved interacting with The Individuals in my unit, Cleaning, Cooking, and assisting coworkers in the event of a behavioral emergency. I learned most of my social and organizational skills from this job.
Pros
great benefits, paid vacation/sick days/time off.
Cons
Unpredictable and High Stress Enviroment
Great place with Great people
Intern (Current Employee) –  North Adams, MADecember 4, 2018
I manage the front desk and assist clients that come in with what they need whether it be getting them connected with the right department,scanning, faxing or copying papers. I answer the phone and connect people with the right department and registering clients. I maintain the lobby and front desk with brochures, pamphlets and posters and organize forms. Everyone is very kind and it's a comfortable place to work.
Rewarding Profession
ABI/MFP Waiver Program Human Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Middleboro, MANovember 1, 2018
Slow paced, the work is not very challenging once you know the computer systems. Does require a level of critical thinking skills. The culture of the workplace, is supposed to be positive and supportive. However can be quite different at times.
Pros
Benefits, Flexibility
Cons
Management Styles can be unfair at times, no growth for advancement opportunities
Mental Health worker
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Tewksbury, MAOctober 30, 2018
Provides direct care services in the activities of daily living by instructing and/or assisting patients in feeding, bathing, toileting, dressing, clothing maintenance, oral and physical hygiene, self-preservation, etc. to ensure daily needs, dignity and human rights of the patients are met.
Assist in the implementation of the individual treatment plan by discussing and reporting observations regarding patient behavior, needs, desires or problems to ensure consistency of care.
Works effectively with other staff to better serve patient needs, promoting a non-threatening, and therapeutic milieu.
Performs tasks of other staff in their absence to ensure continuity of services.

Performs other related duties as assigned
Pros
Great Benefits Flexible hours 3 different shifts.
Cons
Forced OT; Time off request always gets denied for insufficient staffing
Fast paced work environment
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 9, 2018
Face paced work environment.
Work place culture can be negative at times
Great beneffits compensation
Ability to Muli task and juggle many projects
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Communication
Job Service Representative I (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 30, 2018
This is my first time working for the state and although I am only a seasonal rep. The way the department is run is wonderful. My managers are wonderful. The rest of the employees get along. They encourage you to apply for a full time permanent position.
Pros
Unionized, Pay, benefits
Cons
no cons for me
Nice place to retire
Massachusetts Department of Agriculture (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 26, 2018
The department I worked in has some difficult people but I learned alot and spent alot of time in the field which balanced out dealing with challenging people.

Great benefits, a good place to retire from, not much for career advancement, but comfortable.
Great place to work...
Clerk (Current Employee) –  TauntonSeptember 19, 2018
- set schedule
- little variance in the type of work
- not much mobility or advancing your career here
- perfect day job for someone who is older
- great stepping stone if you are younger
- not a challenging work environment
- virtually no way to advance your career in this setting
Pros
tuition reimbursment, sick time and vacation time accrued
Cons
no career advancement
Good benefits but i wanted more
Facility Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, MASeptember 16, 2018
it was a decent place to work, got the respect i felt i deserved from supervisors but administration is a mess. I felt like just another cog in the wheel.
benefits
Cons
administration
Mass. Trial Court
Associate Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 12, 2018
As in all places you will deal with Managers that aren't helpful or aren't professional for that matter. But, working for the Court is a very competitive job which offers a lot of opportunity for growth. Working for the Commonwealth offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.