Commonwealth of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

Ecrecc
Telecommunicator (Former Employee) –  Middleton, MAApril 22, 2018
Poor management; unprofessional, no knowledge of the job, phony backstabbers, can’t keep employees even with the pay. Don’t care that people leave, turnover is extremely higher than any other regional dispatch center due to management. Health insurance stinks, GIC is terrible.
Pros
Coworkers, knowing you are helping people
Cons
Management and supervisors
unbelievable cut throat unnecessary postion
prefer not to answer (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MAApril 19, 2018
not interested in the place at all. wish i never worked for the state. typical day is not 8 hours. always answering phone calls and emails. no breaks, unsafe working conditions, unsanitary conditions, unbelievable management, not a good place.;.
Too limiting & political
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 14, 2018
Working for the Commonwealth offers a number of benefits I felt there was not given much opportunity for growth. Often "too political" that felt we could not make change, or move things forward.
Benefits
Collaborative mental health recovery!
Human Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicopee, MAApril 9, 2018
No 2 days were the same - significant consultation and planning and support to people in hospital and community. Attention to clinical needs and support to a diverse population across a large service area.
Productive and a good place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  MassDEP - ITOApril 4, 2018
I enjoyed working at MassDEP for several years before I left due to health problem that was affecting my overall health and job performance. I had good benefit package and I am trying to find a job within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts so that I can continue with my benefits as I took deferred retirement when I left in 2016, after 18 years of service. The work condition and environment were very good and people respected each other and worked collaboratively to achieve desired results.
Relaxed but political
Medical Review Examiner (C) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 2, 2018
Great place to work if you have a family as they can be flexible but management is totally political. Managers are not promoted based on ability but demographics and who they know, which is frustrating b/c it discourages productive employees from advancing. Also frustrating is lack of work from home option as central office is in Boston.
depratment of youth services
Youth Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAMarch 30, 2018
like any sate run department you have excellent managers and then you have the people that are there only because they have been there so long they cannot be removed,
Not your typical work day if you know what you are doing.
Data Warehouse Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAMarch 29, 2018
Worked with some good people and loved the challenges and support from fellow employees. Requires high paced learning abilities. Your additional efforts are appreciated.
flexibility
Program Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 16, 2018
My bosses were always flexible when needed and very understandable. Working hours are flexible as well depending on your boss and the office you work in.
Pros
flex.
Cons
new governor, new people
Was very good first job to have in the Health field
Developmental Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Berkley, MAMarch 12, 2018
Hours were compatible with my school schedule but we're very hard to be changed if needed for time off, the schedule was set in stone every week and if someone had more senority than you you were not able to get the Day off if they already asked
Pros
Good management
Cons
Hour
manager
State Treasurer and Receiver General (Current Employee) –  BostonMarch 12, 2018
Its a great place for work . the culture is great. I love the culture, I learned team work is great and management is great. life is good here and compensation is great there is job security work life balance
Possible security for the future,ie. retirement.
Professional Nurse (Former Employee) –  North ShoreFebruary 24, 2018
A great place to work if you fit in the click culture. If not and you can bear it you will be rewarded with best benefits, and better retirement and health care than SS can provide. I enjoyed the job, fought hard to advance, and saw many many changes, not all for the best. One of which was closing great institutions. I dont’ remember any staff turnover then. Staff loved their patients , and had a real feeling of job satisfaction.
Pros
Less stress.
Cons
Click culture
Great Place to work
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 11, 2018
Department of Public Health and Department of Developmental Services are both excellent places to work. People are nice, work-life balance is good. Vacation time is terrible for the first 4.5 weeks. Thereafter, it gets better. Salary--not so much... Prepare to be underpaid.
Pros
relaxed work environment
Cons
no perks, no bonuses/parties/terrible salary
It was a good place to work.
Personnel/ Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MAFebruary 9, 2018
It was a great place to work and I enjoyed working for the Commonwealth. There were about 10 people who worked in the Personnel/Payroll department. Thee were different functions performed by different employees, but my function was Personnel/Payroll.
Not worth the aggravation
Benefits Eligibility Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Dept. Transitional Assistance, Springfield, MAFebruary 7, 2018
It is a State Job, in my opinion one of the worst one's to have. Although, it is very fascinating gaining knowledge and learning things you never knew in life. It goes well beyond just determining eligibility in issuing food stamps. You learn about INS in confirming US citizenship status, SSI, RSDI, Unemployment, earned/unearned income, Dept. Revenue, Child Support and so on and so forth. You are in training learning policies, dept. databases and the job. Supervisor responsible for training starts out supportive and emphasize its not about speed and accuracy. It's about learning the job, systems, etc. and everything falls into place. Well within 3-4 weeks all that is out the door. You should know everything as you've been on the job for years. It's all about the # of cases in a day and your error rate. You are micromanaged and they are breathing down your neck. The higher ups are monitoring everything you do and have access from their office. If they perceive your on a call too long, there's inactivity or your paused. They are having Supervisors sneak around corners, walking by cubicles trying to catch you in the act of doing something.
The Dept. knows exactly what they are doing. All new supervisors hired are aged 23-29. Upper management have been there for years. When they tell their supervisors to jump they say how high. They are young and wet behind the ears with no life or work experience. These young bucks are running around not knowing how to talk to people and disrespecting while micromanaging. They will do whatever is needed to advance their careers and backstab everyone
  more... in the process. There's no integrity with putting your time in and earning it. The workplace is comprised of all women as supervisors. I respect and support all women in the workplace. But common on when you have 18 out of 20 that is a major disparity and that's a problem. To conclude, I have not indicated that all working relationships among co-workers are great and a great culturally diverse work environment.
It the supervisors and managent that have something to be desired.
Pros
State Job
Cons
Supervisors, sedentary behind desk 95% of day, unrealistic daily case quota due to every case is different.
Competitive Work
Administrative Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hyde Park, MAFebruary 2, 2018
Nice place to work, good benefits and very competitive. There seem to be quite a bit of transition and turn over with some of the State agencies, as well as longevity.
OK Place to work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAJanuary 31, 2018
Might be hard to advance.
The work can be rewarding but is difficult to manage.

Contract positions pay OK but full time positions are below the industry standard.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Difficult to work across groups
overall happy
Special Education Advocate (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 26, 2018
I receive true fulfillment from my position as an Advocate. It's on a volunteer basis for parents struggling with the Massachusetts Special Education Department. I guide them through the Parent Rights.
Servicing the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Notary Public, Bilingual Translator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 25, 2018
Translating Legal documents such as foreign birth certificates, sworn affidavits, oath forms applicable by law and more most of what I do is Confidential information per the citizens right in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Pros
Legal Documents and Representation in a court of law
Cons
Representation in a court of law
fun work place
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ludlow, MAJanuary 23, 2018
good company to work for just wish had more benefits like health insurance benefits or more time off hours considering i was doing alot of over time towards the end
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks