Commonwealth of Massachusetts Pay & Benefits reviews

Enjoyed
LPN/RN (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MADecember 26, 2018
I enjoyed the freedom of making my own schedule based on what worked for the patient/family. It was also a bonus to be able to coordinate care with other providers and family.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no benefits
High Stress Enviroment with Great Benefits
Developmental Service Worker 1 (Former Employee) –  Templeton, MADecember 10, 2018
A typical day involved interacting with The Individuals in my unit, Cleaning, Cooking, and assisting coworkers in the event of a behavioral emergency. I learned most of my social and organizational skills from this job.
Pros
great benefits, paid vacation/sick days/time off.
Cons
Unpredictable and High Stress Enviroment
Rewarding Profession
ABI/MFP Waiver Program Human Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Middleboro, MANovember 1, 2018
Slow paced, the work is not very challenging once you know the computer systems. Does require a level of critical thinking skills. The culture of the workplace, is supposed to be positive and supportive. However can be quite different at times.
Pros
Benefits, Flexibility
Cons
Management Styles can be unfair at times, no growth for advancement opportunities
Mental Health worker
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Tewksbury, MAOctober 30, 2018
Provides direct care services in the activities of daily living by instructing and/or assisting patients in feeding, bathing, toileting, dressing, clothing maintenance, oral and physical hygiene, self-preservation, etc. to ensure daily needs, dignity and human rights of the patients are met.
Assist in the implementation of the individual treatment plan by discussing and reporting observations regarding patient behavior, needs, desires or problems to ensure consistency of care.
Works effectively with other staff to better serve patient needs, promoting a non-threatening, and therapeutic milieu.
Performs tasks of other staff in their absence to ensure continuity of services.

Performs other related duties as assigned
Pros
Great Benefits Flexible hours 3 different shifts.
Cons
Forced OT; Time off request always gets denied for insufficient staffing
Fast paced work environment
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 9, 2018
Face paced work environment.
Work place culture can be negative at times
Great beneffits compensation
Ability to Muli task and juggle many projects
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Communication
Job Service Representative I (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 30, 2018
This is my first time working for the state and although I am only a seasonal rep. The way the department is run is wonderful. My managers are wonderful. The rest of the employees get along. They encourage you to apply for a full time permanent position.
Pros
Unionized, Pay, benefits
Cons
no cons for me
Nice place to retire
Massachusetts Department of Agriculture (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 26, 2018
The department I worked in has some difficult people but I learned alot and spent alot of time in the field which balanced out dealing with challenging people.

Great benefits, a good place to retire from, not much for career advancement, but comfortable.
Good benefits but i wanted more
Facility Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, MASeptember 16, 2018
it was a decent place to work, got the respect i felt i deserved from supervisors but administration is a mess. I felt like just another cog in the wheel.
benefits
Cons
administration
Mass. Trial Court
Associate Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 12, 2018
As in all places you will deal with Managers that aren't helpful or aren't professional for that matter. But, working for the Court is a very competitive job which offers a lot of opportunity for growth. Working for the Commonwealth offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
Workplace culture was stressful, management unsupportive
BERS A/B (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 30, 2018
Pay didn't match work, management demanding/unsupportive, uneven level of participation from workers, (workers work on different scales, not held accountable), clients could be verbally abusive, threatening, enjoyable part is meeting people who really need the help.
Pros
Flexible Schedule/Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Unorganized/Pay Scale/Management
great
Pipefitter/ Plumber (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 27, 2018
the benifits are nice and may of the people are too
all over massachusetts
however you may find that its tough to see things really changing which might be good and might be bad depending on who you are. its a nice place to retire but im not ready for that yet
Outstanding Career Choice
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Concord, MAAugust 1, 2018
Builds character and self esteem

Career Advancement

Commeradery among your fellow corrections officers

Outstanding Salary and Benefits

Retirement Pension Benefits
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Cons
Stress and Boredom at times
Rewarding
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 31, 2018
This was a rewarding position resolving cases. Fun people to work with and good benefits. If you like keeping busy this is a job for you. Your work load never lets up and you are working non-stop. You learn a lot because systems and laws are always changing. Unfortunately, the new system took away many jobs.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
lots of layoffs
Benefits are great and it’s a 37.5 hour work week
Associate Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJuly 21, 2018
It’s a great full time job! Benefits are great and it is a Monday through Friday 37.5 hour work week and you get to have a life. Most of the positions require a degree and there is room for advancement
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Can be very political
Correction Officer
Correctional Officer I, (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 27, 2018
I was at the Massachusetts Department of Corrections for 3 years before being involved in a major inmate riot. I was injured and went out on workers compensation.
Productive Place to work
Programs Coordinator - Trainer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 30, 2018
Productive place to work. Within any given day, I learn that excellent customer service is key in delivering quality services to both customers and employees!
Benefits
Cons
all is good
co workers make it awesome!
Financial Assistance Social Worker III (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MA and Haverhill, MAApril 14, 2018
A very stressful place that is made tolerable by great co-workers and local office management teams. Clients seen can be going through a very difficult and tumultous time and that can be lessened by the worker. Local office workers are amazing.
Pros
co-workers, salary, benefits
Cons
salaries are per contract with Commonwealth and Union
Too limiting & political
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 14, 2018
Working for the Commonwealth offers a number of benefits I felt there was not given much opportunity for growth. Often "too political" that felt we could not make change, or move things forward.
Benefits
Productive and a good place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  MassDEP - ITOApril 4, 2018
I enjoyed working at MassDEP for several years before I left due to health problem that was affecting my overall health and job performance. I had good benefit package and I am trying to find a job within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts so that I can continue with my benefits as I took deferred retirement when I left in 2016, after 18 years of service. The work condition and environment were very good and people respected each other and worked collaboratively to achieve desired results.
flexibility
Program Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 16, 2018
My bosses were always flexible when needed and very understandable. Working hours are flexible as well depending on your boss and the office you work in.
Pros
flex.
Cons
new governor, new people