Commonwealth of PA Employee Reviews

no pension plan
A operator (Former Employee) –  Erie paMarch 14, 2019
As of 2019 there is no pension plan. This is a union job but the union is very weak . Most union starting wages are between 34.00 to 27.00 an hour to start , Penn dot is 15.50 . Abd pay every two weeks which puts you in to a higher tax bracket.

There are also very noticeable klicks. If you stand up for yourself and don't kiss butt your gone.......
Pros
Some good people work there
Cons
if you have a family to take care of .. Not the place for you ' low pay
CNA at Gino Merli
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAFebruary 19, 2019
After a 4 month hiring process, I was finally hired, after taking another job closer to home. Decided to work both jobs but ended up dropping this one as the MANDATORY OVERTIME was absolutely insane. I mean so much so that I almost got fired from my other job because I was forced to stay and work. They are very short staffed - Why? Does it have something to do with the 4 month hiring process? HR is pathetic. They can't keep track of new hires and they don't know how to schedule.

Worst job in terms of management. The residents are awesome. You will never meet a more interesting bunch of people. It's sad that they have to live here and be treated to poor quality of care because management can't/won't move the hiring process along faster.

Other similar jobs can hire in as soon as 1 week. I had all my stuff in order (physical, PPD, background check, etc.)

Save yourself the time and hassle and work somewhere else. The benefits are not even that great anymore since they took away the pension.
Cons
Long hiring process, loss of pension
invaluable service to PA
HIPP Specialist, Clark (Former Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAJanuary 2, 2019
Fast paced for accuracy and always room to enroll more persons.
Vital to follow exact rules and communicate well so clients understand what their new benefits are
this position should be expanded. More money could be saved in tax dollars spent.
Pros
fulfillment
Cons
Location of position
Do not recommend
Adminstrator (Former Employee) –  NowhereDecember 18, 2018
The state used to provide retirement benefits so people who worked there five years or more received pensions which PA taxpayers pay for. Why should PA taxpayers contribute to employees making $40k/yr or more for doing nothing?

Taxpayers also pay for state employees to have paid parking permits in city, but not all departments provide. At $3k/year per employee, that adds up to a lot of money citizens have to pay when they themselves don’t receive free parking in private sector.

The state doesn’t treat employees well unless you are a suck up. That’s the most important quality to the state - employee submission to their ignorant demands.

Employees do not have suggestion box or employee committees. Decisions are made by goons who don’t have business experience nor human relations knowledge.

Harrisburg is out of touch with other regions.

Treat people like slaves.
Pros
Lots of time off
Cons
Few advancement opportunities, poor communications, disregard for employees, bullies for bosses
Behind the times
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 10, 2018
Expected to document requirements for system changes without being properly trained on the system nor inteoduced to all business areas using the system. PA DOL does not follow the rules they are charged with enforcing.
Great place
Clerk Typist 2 (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 11, 2018
I am just looking to be rehired in the near future. I enjoyed learning and teaching. It is a good place to grow and excel and move up. Utilizing basic life skills and using those skills in everyday life.
A job that helps others who are in need
INCOME MAINTENANCE CASEWORKER (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaOctober 20, 2018
My job with the Commonwealth of PA allows me to help some of the most vulnerable citizens in Pennsylvania. It is a job that requires organization and attention to detail.
Peer Educator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, PASeptember 25, 2018
This is never a place an individual wants to be employed. It is basically slave labor. The treatment of unfair and has way too many security clearances.
good place to work without beneifts
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Somerset, PASeptember 11, 2018
plenty of work , no advancements, people of good characters, steady work, liked working as a team with others, didn't like not having benefits or advancements
Pros
good peole to work around
Cons
no benefits, no advancements
Political Position
Accountant II (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 29, 2018
Paid to do virtually nothing when in favor of the ruling and dominant political party or faction. The work environment is hostile at times and lacks fairness and objectivity.
Pros
Cons
voluminous
Government Employment
FIELD HUMAN RESOURCE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Delaware County, PAAugust 21, 2018
Structured environment with training regularly to learn and/or update policies and procedures. Salary was below private sector. Promotional opportunities available for internal employees prior to direct hires. Many employees held their positions with the Commonwealth for at least 5 years, most remained until earning retirement. Benefits were better than private sector. I began as a Clerk--Typist and rose to the position of Field Human Resource Officer. The training programs the State mandates, as well as the voluntary programs, and mentoring helped me achieve the level I retired at. The workplace culture is similar to military, as Harrisburg controls/mandates/oversees the protocol. The most enjoyable part of the job was resolving conflict between workers and management, finding the most qualified workers for hire and/or promotion and seeing how they contributed to our mission.
Pros
Great benefits, generous paid leave program
Cons
Salary levels
Good benefits, low pay
IT Generalist (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 19, 2018
I have worked for the COPA for 10 years. Overall it's been positive but there are issues depending on the office / position that you are in. The pay is low for entry level positions. The State tries to make up for this though their excellent benefit packages. One of the biggest draws The State of PA has is job security. Between this and the decent benefits the COPA makes a lot of sense if you are trying to raise a family in Pennsylvania.
Pros
Benefits, Lots of vacations, sick leave, paid holidays, military ttime counts toward pension
Cons
Low pay, work environment, beurocratic processes
Great
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PA 17101July 10, 2018
I enjoyed working at the State but when my mother passed a way I left to take care of her she was her death bed. I wanted to be able to be there for her.
Enjoyed interacting with different areas of the project, many SECA events to attend, overall was a nice palce to work.
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 19, 2018
Getting into the Commonwealth of PA was very beneficial and I enjoyed the experience. I was pleased to see the dedication that the state employees have to their work. (I was a consultant, so it was a little different for us) Many employees that I had dealt with were longtime employees who knew the area of work very well.
It feels good to help people, but annoying when people try to get over and lie to receive benfits
Income Maintenance Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 18, 2018
It can be stressful. The management, at times, ex[ect a little too much. Sometimes we are treated like we are robots. You have no say so where you are to work within the office.
Cons
we have to use our own sick days for bereavement time
Commonwealth of PA
Commonwealth of PA (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMay 8, 2018
I have learned a great deal about the Public Health system and what it entails to being within compliance with the regulations. It offers a great opportunity to expand your knowledge with policies and procedures.
Good ole' government Job!
Income Maintenance Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 1, 2018
The work you do for the citizens in need is gratifying.
I just wish sometimes they knew our internal headaches and time constraints to get work done!
Pros
Benefits/Flexible dress code/ Comfortable environment
Cons
Hierarchy mentality/Lack professionalism/untrained managers
Executive Accounting Specialist - BAFM (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 26, 2018
Great life work balance. Learned a lot of new stuff about SAP, Governmental accounting, CAFR, Different funds and how govt machinery works. Very nice and caring management.
Pros
Life work balance
Cons
monotony
retired
Plumbing /steam foreman (Former Employee) –  Wernersville, PAFebruary 23, 2018
I enjoyed the work . And, I met a lot of nice people during my time there.I also developed a lot of good experiences working with other departments through out the hospital as well .
caring staff
polk center (Former Employee) –  Polk, PAFebruary 21, 2018
was a wonderful place to interact with people.very good learning experience. staff an individuals were very kind and understanding.environment was friendly,and most people were very outgoing