Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Here to help: Coronavirus update
Updates from Commonwealth of Pennsylvania:

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Employee Reviews

United States717 reviews
Not a terrible place to work.
An average day consists of counting inmates, standing yard, watching the walks, standing meal, and just making sure the inmates are following the policies and procedures. Some of the management can sometimes be judgmental and vindictive.
Pros
Pay, benefits, training.
Cons
Ignorant management, stressful.
specific to detail, safety. the people. le where great
The best training group meetings.
Stadardized weekly and daily equipment inspections. Rapud responce to road conditions.communication with in orgaization was used well.
Client support
Providing social services to low income families and providing work support options and availability. Support and introduction of community based support programs
Don't
No help. Unclear expectations. Poor communication. No training. Managers' collective emotional intelligence is so low you'll wonder if they're not on the spectrum.
N/a
After a year of working there, the facility is understaffed, over worked as far as Staff to Resident ratio, and management is unwilling to making going back to school feasible due to scheduling
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
State Agency serving local municipal government agencies.
We provide a needed service to such local municipalities in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Thsi agency (DCED) is staffed by part-time persons who are all Police Chiefs and managers and provide their training and expertise to this program.
you won't be bored
you will always learn something new and if you don't then that is your own fault. I miss this job every day. it was a very relaxing job most of the time.
Overall pleased.
I enjoyed working there, and I appreciate them for helping me out with employment. They are very well spoken an flexible when it comes to taking care of their employees.
Pros
Work everyday
Cons
Loud
Great job with state benefits and pension.
Very difficult to get hired or promoted unless you are politically connected. The hours and benefits are very good and very hard to find in most companies..
This place sucks!
I thought working for the commonwealth was going to be great. I am sadly mistaken. There are a bunch of miserable ladies who look forward to retiring so that they can and I quote “Get the *** out of this place” There a bunch of incompetent workers and supervisors. They got rid of the interview process to fill seats. They could care less about how well the job can be done. It’s because of that the job isn’t done correctly. The supervisors really suck
I do miss working for PA
The team I worked with were the best! My management always helped me out when I need them and I absolutely love how I go to experience all the PA had to offer
Highly stressful atmosphere
The job was in an extremely volatile area (just outside of North Philadelphia PA). Management was largely cynical and discouraging. The clientele that came in each day created a depressing atmosphere. The job nearly led me to a nervous breakdown. If I were not given paid time off in order to receive psychological counseling (and, ultimately, to find a better job), I shudder to think about what my outcome would have been.
N/a
Very good place to be employed. My work life balance was great and my manager was awesome I have nothing but good to say. Enjoyed the people I worked with and meet
Reviewed cases and time keeping all day long in Sap system
Enjoyed my days at the state. Learned a lot and work was always different . New tasks to be learned . Dealt with customer service and had to be very knowledgeable in each specific department. Especially when relaying information to the public.
Good job
Very good job, a lot of independence and trust that you’ll get your work done. Monday thru Friday daylight hours , solid pay, not many reasons to complain.
if you get a certain manager, you will not be working there if they do not like you
my manager kept calling me by the wrong name and called me a dummy on a daily basis before they let me go without cause - i was in training and when i aced the hardest quiz, (for the actual job i wanted to do in the company), the manager yelled at me very loudly in front of all the other managers - i was discriminated against from the first day, with no explanation as to why-and then banned from ever working as an income maintenance caseworker in the commonwealth - all because the manager did not like me, i was older, whatever the reason was, i will never know
Pros
pay and raises
Cons
left home 4:30am and home at 7pm
Laid-back job with amazing benefits but management makes it impossible to fully love the job
If you get a good supervisor, then the job is great: it's essentially data-entry with rule books and occasional phone customer service (ugh) if assigned to a Processing Center. Constant policy changes come with the territory, so you must be willing & open to adapting. However, if your supervisor is petty or lacking in people or leadership skills, the job is going to suck: they're on you for minor mistakes and rarely (if ever) recognize your achievements. This can be extremely demoralizing, especially on top of the unncesssary bureaucratic flexes from management.
Fun
I loved working for the commonwealth. I left because I relocated to California with my family. Had I stayed in Pennsylvania I probably would still be there.
Safe career in government, but have to work with some, not all, but some really difficult people.
Some in government are lazy, incompetent, and that's just the Director, Senior Management. Dishonest and lacking integrity and people skills, people wonder why so much incompetence is tolerated.
Good pay but awful schedule
No work life balance what so ever. Very difficult to obtain days off. Patients make accusations and you are guilty until proven innocent. Good pay but difficult environment.
Good place to work. Has some flexibility with schedule. Earn quickly for time off. Could have better support through upper management. No parking provided
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.7
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight