Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Employee Reviews

I enjoy my job
Clerk 1 (Current Employee) –  Holmes, PAJanuary 16, 2019
I enjoy working at Fine Wines and Good Spirits. I have learned a lot of good skills. I am now able to be a TA, which I fill in at other stores. I have medical insurance. However, I don't make enough money.
Pros
Learned a lot of new skills
Cons
Not enough pay
Good
Department of Human Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 14, 2019
Enjoyed working her and thoroughly enjoyed my time here. I would work here again if the pay was higher but with a masters degree and massive student loan debt I needed higher income.
productive
Infirmary Dispensary Worker (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJanuary 13, 2019
It was a great learning experienced. But being incarcerated isn't fun you learn to adapt to your surrounding. and make a better person for your self. you live and learn
Rep. John D McGinnis (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAJanuary 9, 2019
My typical day involved serving the needs of the public by helping them resolve problems with state government. This would include helping complete various applications for benefits and working with the various state agencies, NGOs, private entities, and the federal government.
Pros
Generous leave time and great benefits.
Cons
Inconsistent and vague standards.
Legislative Aide at PA House of Representatives
Legislative Aide to Representative Perry Warren (Current Employee) –  Yardley, PAJanuary 5, 2019
It is important to remember that this job will never be about you. It is about the member whose office you work in. As long as you remember this, the job is rewarding.

Most office staffs are small, so you also better get along with your coworkers.
Pros
Get to make a difference in your community
Cons
Can be stressful at times
Very stressful, but a rewarding job
Driver License Examiner (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAJanuary 4, 2019
Work week was Tuesday thru Saturday 8:00 to 4:30. Typical day involved either working the counter or conducting driving exams. Counter work involves examining paperwork including applications; birth certificates; Social Security cards; marriage certificates; court documents; proof of residency documents; documents issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service, Department of Homeland Security, and U.S. State Department; and documents issued by foreign countries for authenticity. Administered non-commercial and commercial driver license knowledge examinations to individuals to ensure they have a knowledge and understanding of the Vehicle Code and traffic signs.
Administering CDL and Non-CDL driving exams involved Administering non-commercial and commercial driver license skills tests in accordance with Department standards. Determines vehicle characteristics to ensure appropriate tests are administered. Checks for valid registration and insurance
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
The public did not understand when one system went down we could not process or issue any products.
Great place to start
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 1, 2019
This is a great place for recent graduates and if you know you're going on. The pay is okay, but the benefits will help you.
I wouldn't recommend staying here for more than 2 years though.
Varied work schedules available depending on seniority.
Income Maintenance Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Erie, PADecember 31, 2018
- The normal work week was 37.5 hours.
- My supervisor was above and beyond excellent.
- Free, off street parking was provided in a crowded residential neigborhood.
- Regular training was provided when updates were instituted.
- Comfortable working conditions.
Pros
Eligible for varied work schedules.
State Government
Tax Account Collection Technician (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 30, 2018
This was a typical corporate world environment. It was not hard to move to another job if you did your work and did not have attendance issues. I planned to stay there til retirement but got sick from the job and doctor would not permit me to come back.
Pros
stability
Cons
Old moldy buildings
You don't want to have this job
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon, PADecember 28, 2018
This job pertains to taking orders from overpaid babysitters you I treated like scum and have to follow all the orders that are given or you will be reprimanded
Management is a joke.
Aide Assistant (Former Employee) –  Selinsgrove, PADecember 23, 2018
The benefits are great. So is the pay. You get one weekend off a month. Which isn't ideal if you have children. Upper management is a joke. They all start out as aides, but once they upgrade to supervisor or in the schedule off they are a bunch of immature children. ESPECIALLY the scheduling office.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Nice place to work
Environmental Protection Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PADecember 20, 2018
It was a good experience working in the Department of Environmental Protection at the Southeast Regional Office. The workers are diverse and friendly.
A great organization to work for.
Park Ranger (Current Employee) –  Penfield, PADecember 12, 2018
Working for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is a fantastic experience. Never the same day twice, new challenges and lots to do. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in a rewarding career.
Pros
Constant change, good opportunities for promotion.
Cons
Seasonal employees need supplemental health care.
government work
Clerk Typist 2 (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 11, 2018
good enough for government work. weak union, but still...entering this at the library and really have not given it a great deal of thought.
well to wrap it up.
Horrible place to work!!!!
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southeastern Veterans CenterDecember 7, 2018
Southeastern Veterans Center in Spring City, Pa. is a disgusting and horrible place to work. The staff is lazy because the management sucks. Everything starts at the top and rolls downhill including the laziness and misery.
Pros
At least I warned you. Don’t get old.
Cons
No vacation, Lazy staff, Horrible management, The doctors aren’t very responsive when the residents are sick
Excellent
Revenue Enforcement Collections Officer (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PANovember 29, 2018
Great experience, great supervisors during my time. The benefits of working for government are great and you could depend on a steady workflow because of the nature of the business. 8-4pm job.
Aide Trainee
Residential Service Aide (Former Employee) –  Polk, PANovember 26, 2018
Very bad place to work..You work 7 and eight days in a row no overtime working those days in a row..When you finally get days off your too tired mentally and physically exhausted to do anything. Most workers are lazy and backstabbers it's like adult high school. Management is a joke...They are clueless... Workers have no rights... Forced to work with very dangerous individuals and not properly trained so numerous injuries or losing job if you defend yourself when you are literally getting beat up and bloody. Lots of extra marital affairs too. Very bad working conditions.
Pros
Breaktime
Cons
Everything about place sucks
read
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Chase, PANovember 24, 2018
you get paid for the work u do dont expect to not work and get paid/ long hours hours and days/plenty of time off.poor management lack of experience people in potions because of affiliation not ability
Not the worst place to work
Income Maintenance Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 14, 2018
I've had great positions here and tough positions here. If you like extremely fast-paced work, this can be a great position. However, the work is extremely repetitive, the clients are stressed and upset and management offers little support.
The hardest part of the job is offering very little meaningful support to people who are struggling. The best part of the job is that I have some really nice coworkers and I can leave responsibilities at the door at the end of my shift.
Pros
Great benefits, union membership
Cons
Unrealistic workload, little support from management, work is repetitive
Stressed
Toll Collector (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 14, 2018
You are paid well with great benefits and retirement but it consumes your life with no real possibility of advancement or promotion. Also, they want to replace our jobs with all electronic toll services.
Pros
Good pay, benefits and retirement
Cons
Poor management, no opportunity for promotion, poor work schedules.