Communication Service for the Deaf Employee Reviews

Find something else!!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 17, 2018
Bathroom breaks can literally only be 7 minutes.Very easy to get a write up. The stations where you work at are always filthy dirty every single day. 9/10 people always quit within the second week because it’s so boring. They have this point system where you accumulate points (being late,not online for your entire shift, missing a shift) and if you hit 8 points your automatically fired. Monthly times where you have to be online 98% of the day, for every single month which is the entire shift literally! If you score under you get a write up. This job is NOT WORTH IT.
Pros
Celebrate holidays
Cons
Watched 24, 7/Treat you like little kids, No freedom
This was an excellant place to work
Relay telephone operator for the deaf (Former Employee) –  Vineland, NJMay 13, 2018
I rnjoyed this position because I loved what I was doing.
The call center closed and I would have still had a job if I coukd have relocated to New York or Hawaii
Pros
Great people- great service for the deaf
Cons
Company closed in this area
customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAApril 20, 2018
Thanks all my coworker on my Job, they all so nice,i was learning a lots form all of them,Thanks God giving me all i have right now, I am looking forward to do better in the future.
Amazing!
Communication Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNMarch 30, 2018
I loved the place, everything and everyone was simply perfect to work with. I usually kept to myself so, I didn't get to talk to many people. While I loved the job. I had family issues going on and was one of the reasons I had to leave. This job was my bubble of freedom!
Pros
Early leave
Cons
Relaxed job position with little room for advancement / pay increase
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMarch 12, 2018
Schedules are some-what flexible seniority heavily applies. Great job to improve typing and communication skills. Great community of associates. Most enjoyable part of the job is reading, drawing, etc. between phone calls. Some deaf callers can be very verbally abusive towards you. Little chance for pay increase or advancement unless employed for several years. Coffee machine in break room never worked. Required 15 minute break every 2 hours helps pass the day quickly. Overnight and holiday shifts are not enjoyable but inevitable if you're new at the company. The point / disciplinary system in place for CSD employees is very juvenile.
Pros
15 minute breaks every two hours
Cons
Little to no advancement opportunities. Disciplinary system needs improvement.
very easy
Bilingual relay agent (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 12, 2018
requires great typing skills and listening skills. Management is very understanding. The environment was very fun. Employees were not allowed to have phones, but magazines, puzzles, and other games were allowed.
Pros
fun and laid back
Cons
short breaks
Terrible management
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNFebruary 3, 2018
In the beginning, I really enjoyed working for this company and what it stood for. After a few years, I got promoted and realized this company is not what I thought it was. The management is so poorly run where it makes the work environment pretty unbearable. The "quality" supervisor is an absolute pervert. I felt so violated being in his presence and any new hire that was female would feel the same way. It came to a point where I did not enjoy going to work and ended up leaving. I will say if you are looking for something part-time, this job would be well suited especially if you are a student. You are allowed to read and do homework in between calls and if you work later on in the evening call traffic slows down significantly so you don't have to deal with much plus management is gone in the later evening so you don't have to deal with any of them unless you get surveyed. The management and how they run things are what makes the job not worth the time in my opinion. If you are looking for something for job advancement this would not be a good job for you since they only care about body count.
Pros
Can leave a little earlier if call traffic dies down
Cons
quality supervisor is a perv
Easiest job in the world
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 20, 2018
It was a great environment. Everyone was very friendly. I would have stayed, but management was unable/unwilling to work my schedule around my kids. I didn't like how it seemed to be my fault entirely - or at least that's how it was played - but other than that, working there was fantastic. It was easy to conversate and make friends when you weren't working, and the work was easy as pie. As long as you don't rock the boat, things are pretty chill and okay there. Follow the rules to a fault and you'll do just fine.
Pros
Free cappuccinos
Cons
short breaks, no lunch in the beginning
Great place to work despite poor advancement
Communication Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNJanuary 18, 2018
By far, this was the most rewarding place I have worked. By working here, I was able to hone and develop skills I need for further advance in the workforce.

Of course, there are some callers that don't respect your, and there are some businesses that hear "relay call" and don't understand that a deaf individual is trying to reach them. It is important to remain calm while working at Relay.

Typically, try to arrive a few minutes prior to the start of your shift so the computers can boot up and start working. You'll get to choose a cubical, read quietly, talk quietly, or do homework. I highly recommend this job for those that want to work through school.

MN Relay is a 24/7 hour operation, so there are plenty of options for schedules. The downside to this, however, is that MN Relay is on a sonority-first basis. The people that have been there the longest get to pick what schedule they want. The new hires have to take what is given to them. Swapping shifts is easy, though.
Pros
relaxed environment, supportive staff
Cons
low pay, poor advancement opportunities
Depressing and Dirty
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 4, 2018
Working at this place was a very dark time. Everything there is broken. Depressing phone calls. Bed bugs. Fleas. Eww. Do not work here unless desperate!
Pros
PTO every two weeks
Cons
environment
very laid back easy job
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 29, 2017
answering calls all day and re-voicing what you hear in your mic accurate. So that the person who is deaf or hard of hearing gets the correct caption on the CapTel phone. The hardest part of the job is being patient when you have calls that last for hours on end. The most enjoyable part of the job is that they are very flexible with hours and scheduling
Pros
frequent breaks, located right by downtown
Cons
none really
There was no encouragement
Communication assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 13, 2017
I would not recommend anyone ti work there unlesss they arw faast paced
I havent worked in over 30 years and passed but was dismissed cause I wasnt fast enoigj
Pros
Good paying job
Cons
Hars to get hirwd
Not for me
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 27, 2017
It is very laid back unless the calls are pouring in. You get to read or write and do almost anything you wanted between calls. I would recommend the job because it is very easy and if you want to sit in one spot all day and stay quiet its perfect.
Pros
Break every 2 hours
Cons
confined to one spot, not much coworker association
Laid back, boring work
Caption Assistant (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 30, 2017
Very laid back enviroment for the most part. A typical day is punching in, picking up your offline sheet, then taking relaying phone calls all day for hearing impaired people with a few breaks and a lunch in between. They're very flexible with hours and accomodating individuals needs.

Quick note though, If you decide to work here, pick the night shift. The morning managers are petty and almost unnapproachable. (If they even decide to show up to work that day). Seems like they're on vacation 6 days out of the week livin the life. Must be nice.
Pros
Laid back, easy, overtime, weekend and night differential
Cons
Management is very deflective and in their own worlds most of the time
They want perfection
Communication Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moraine, OHSeptember 18, 2017
I worked for CSD Ohio Relay from May until September 2017. I enjoyed my job even though the customers were rude at times and can cuss you out.

Sometimes the conversations are questionable. But you cannot help that.

The side by sides will stress you out. They can be done right beside you or electronically so you won't know when it's being done. Two times a month you are surveyed.

LOTS of misdials, people arguing that they dialed the right number but didn't.

My coworkers were friendly, I can say I made some honest to good friends there. The managers were kind and helpful. But don't call out unless you can do so 12 hours ahead of time. Be back from breaks and lunches on time or be pointed. They add up fast and eight points is terminated.

All in all taking and placing calls weren't so bad once you learned the macros. Keep the typing speed and grammar good. Follow a flow of conversation and be transparent.
Pros
Reading or coloring down time, flexible work schedules, incentive overtime, plenty of overtime to grab
Cons
Rude customers, stressful fast pace calls, unrealistic call off time
diversity, easy environment
Communication Assistant (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaSeptember 6, 2017
value timeliness, unlimited paid time off. learned to relay calls. customer service provided to people who are deaf or hard of hearing. too many mis-dialed numbers
Monotonous, no room for advancement
Communication Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNAugust 4, 2017
This job is very simple once you get the hang of the macros. It's super flexible with when you want to work, but other than that there's not much keeping people here. The pay is low and if you are going to be on the phone you may as well just take a job that pays $5 more at another call center in the area.
Pros
Co workers, easy, can read/etc. on downtime
Cons
Management, no electronics allowed (even calculators), low pay
fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 6, 2017
take inbound call to find right phone to meet clients needs, Had nice supervisors the hardest part is changes to system.Helping the clients either choose a phone or if phone is not working helping them trouble shoot it and making it work correctly.
Pros
benefits, pto and medical benefits
Needs help
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 4, 2017
CSD is a company that is a relaxing, easy job that provides a service that is both necessary and inspiring. It's a great job...or it would be if they could figure out how to run a business. The company doesn't understand morale and company culture is completely aggressive, strangely so for a job that is completely independent. CSD needs to work on its understanding of policy and enforcing it across the board before I could recommend anyone working there.
Pros
free coffee. Insanely flexible scheduling
Cons
Poor management. Aggressive environement.
Not for disabled individuals
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  OhioJune 1, 2017
I only worked here a short time but they will only accommodate you in training and on the floor. If you are visually impaired you'll be expected to pass a test as if you are totally blind. You WILL NOT be accommodated for testing AT ALL. It is stressful so you need to be mentally prepared to be surveyed and tested all the time for the FCC.
Pros
kind coworkers, understanding management
Cons
stressful, mentally draining, uncertain hours, lack of accommodations, for the disabled unable to tell the difference between light disability and severe

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Communication Service for the Deaf. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

4.8Career Opportunities

4.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight