Communication Service for the Deaf Employee Reviews

Decent place
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 22, 2019
I recently left CSD due to the automated scheduling system that went into effect this month. It was a great place to work when I could pick my hours and was nice since I could do my school work and read, color or work on puzzles in between calls, then I had to choose classes over the schedule I was given so it was a bummer. Management is okay. At times they have no clue what is going on nor do they communicate well with the employees in my opinion. I met some really good friends during my time there and overall, I recommend if you are open to a flexible schedule. It really is the easiest job.
Pros
Benefits were ok, nice people
Cons
Short breaks, not so great pay
Great Place to Work
Communication Assistant (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 24, 2019
I can't find a real reason to complain about this job except to possibly say that it's too easy. There are times when it can get boring, but overall it's a good job. They are not difficult, there is no dress code, and no matter where you come from or what you look like you are welcome to work there.
Pros
Great work environment, Good Insurance
Cons
Can be boring, don't really have any team work, kind of lonely...
Management is awful
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHNovember 12, 2018
Management is very unorganized and does not communicate effectively with employees. During the training they pretty much tell you that you can and will be fired any little thing on any given depending on the managers mood that day. They fired half the call floor with no warning the beginning of the holiday season. These people are horrible and evil and I really don't know how they live with themselves leaving so many people and families wondering how they will make it through the holidays. They do not care about people at all unless you are best friends with management. Really wish I never would have accepted this job, the only thing thing I learned is how cruel and horrible people can be.
Pros
paid time off schedule flexibilty
Cons
management
Bad management
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 2, 2018
Okay for starters the management is really horrible, they do nothing but talk all day when they are suppose to be working and dump a load on you. Also, it’s so hard to advance I just recently quit because I was told I would not get a slight raise until at least 3 years there which is crazy and the pay is not even worth your time.
Pros
Slow paced
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Assisting the deaf and hard of hearing with communication services
Relay Operator (Former Employee) –  Holyoke, MAOctober 8, 2018
This job was a relay operator service and it was handled to the best of knowledge to them and helping them to communicate with their loved ones through a telecommunications service it was a job that had to be very focused and very accurate to be able to relay all informational services to a third party as wel
Pros
Helping the community and the deaf and hard of hearing to communicate
Cons
They relocated
Management sucks
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNNovember 28, 2018
Previous center manager was fabulous. She was promoted and subsequently they brought in a new person, who I feel is prejudice against those of us who are handicapped and have medical situations to deal with. Get rid of her and relay would be great!
Pros
Easy work once you get past the training
Cons
Training classes are tough
Nice place to get a quick job, just not long lasting.
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Moraine, OHOctober 4, 2018
There are many rules to everything at CSD and they are not listed in the employee manual so you have to learn them along the way when you do something and later learn it was wrong. Get written up for many things, which can be nit picky. Rules are more important than being a good worker. Good place to get some experience and to know the Deaf culture. Bad place to build experience over long haul. People often leave because of being lied to or through promises not being kept or by being treated badly. Disappointment is common. Also a place of double standards.
Pros
Schedule flexibility, some of the supervisors are helpful.
Cons
Being lied to. Rules are more important. Broken promises. No transparency.
October 8, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. CSD takes these issues very seriously and we want to improve this type of behavior. As you may know, Indeed reviews are anonymous but if you would like to discuss this further, please reach out to talent@csd.org and we can discuss your concerns in detail.

They have BED BUGS! And the management team is a complete JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moraine, OHOctober 3, 2018
The job itself is the easiest thing in the entire world. However the admin and management team will make you pull your hair out. They literally walk around with a clipboard looking for problems. They get on you for every little thing you do. They are all unorganized, for example if you ask 1 supervisor some she might say it's correct and the other might say it's not. They are not on the same page and it's annoying. THEY ALSO HAVE BED BUGS!! THEY TALKED TO AN EXTERMINATOR BUT NEVER HIRED ONE. THE BUGS ARE IN THE CUBICLE WALLS!!!!
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
Bed bugs, and terrible management.
October 8, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. You’ve shared concerns in a few different areas, which we’d like to address individually:

1) Management - CSD believes it is important to have the right people in the right roles who are committed to our core values. Administrators are promoted from Agent positions and we provide regular training to members of our management team. We will continue to train our management team to ensure that the messaging provided is consistent.
2) Quality surveys - One of the management team’s responsibilities is to ensure that the needs of our customers are being met. As part of that responsibility, the management team walks the floor to observe quality standards. This is a function of every contact center - whether that’s CSD or elsewhere.
3) CSD invests heavily in the maintenance of our Centers. Most of our Centers have been operating for over 15 years, so in addition to daily cleaning, we also provide Center upgrades when necessary. In any instances where bugs are reported, we immediately contact an extermination company. CSD does not announce to employees when extermination services are being provided so the assertion that CSD “never hired one” just because this reviewer never saw one is untrue. We are also always open to suggestions to get ahead of any issues before they become real problems.

Indeed reviews are anonymous but if you would like to discuss any of your concerns in detail, please reach out to talent@csd.org.

A typical office job
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NY 13204October 25, 2018
What you would expect is a typical office job that follows the books exact. dont go if you expect something different and new and exciting. i would have to say the hardest part of the job to deal with is the scheduling and hours. a lot of things are changing with management however and new rules and so on so it might be completely different by the end of the year
Good place for temporary work
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 12, 2018
They have a high turn over rate if you are perfect on monitors. Always having team leads walk around trying to catch people on their phones or reading. Very hard to get raises and nearly impossible to get the fond points unless you skip breaks. Good for a temporary job until you find something with better pay.
Pros
Paid time off, good hours, relaxed
Cons
Difficult calls & getting penalized for it, treated like kids
October 8, 2018

1) Quality surveys - One of the management team’s responsibilities is to ensure that the needs of our customers are being met. As part of that responsibility, the management team including Team Leads walk the floor to observe quality standards. This is a function of every contact center - whether that’s CSD or elsewhere.
2) Wage Increases - Employees are eligible for salary increases twice a year upon completion of their 90-days of employment with CSD and meeting the certain performance criteria such as work performance, attendance, and quality surveys.
3) Employee Recognition - CSD partners with an employee recognition platform, Fond, for Center Leadership to recognize good performance unique to our Contact Center operations including attendance, efficiency, and quality survey results. Fond Rewards are awarded for doing a job well-done and can be used to redeem things that are memorable, meaningful, and significant to our employees.
4) Treated like Kids - CSD believes it is important to have the right people in the right roles who are committed to our core values. Administrators are promoted from Agent positions and we provide regular training to members of our management team. We will continue to train our management team to ensure that all employees are treated with respect and as adults.

Relaxed place to work. Not too strict. Fair with rules regulations and anything else you can think of.
Captioning assistant (Former Employee) –  Moraine, OHDecember 10, 2018
Nothing to tip. Everything was nice. Managers were nice and fair. Good working environment. Easy job to do.clean working conditions. Quick and easy training process.
Too high expectations, unrealistic
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moraine, OHAugust 15, 2018
I was hired through a Temp Agency and told I would have 3 weeks of training before I started. I found out on my first day that if I did not pass a test they would not keep me. I wish the Temp Agency would of mentioned this to me, as I would of passed on this job. The training was unrealistic, too fast paced, no power point, not enough computer practice and then the test, the first week. Unrealistic goals in training. I left after the first week.
Pros
The friends I met while in training
Cons
The training, pay
August 20, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience. CSD is always striving to improve our processes and have taken note of your feedback. We will reach out to the agencies to ensure that the proper information is being shared with potential staffing employees.

Good job
Agent (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TX 79407August 28, 2018
I worked as a Spanish agent and it was actually amazing. The coworkers are great and so was the pay and hours. Only down side is that it’s hard to change your work preference hours. But overall a great place to work, had I not had to leave do to personal reasons I would still be there
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Hard to change time preference
September 11, 2018

We are happy to hear that this position was such a great fit for you. Thank you for taking such good care of our customers!

A nice in-between job
Relay Operator (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 6, 2018
If you can type over 70 wpm then you are golden. You get your own locker, can sit at any vestibule, and some of the time crochet at your desk or do a word puzzle or even color while waiting for calls.
Good Experience
Caption Assistant (Former Employee) –  4310 Iola Avenue, lubbock TexasDecember 11, 2018
I enjoyed the experience I had while working at CSD. The management is well and fair, great work environment, you are able to move up quickly, and the benefits are good as well.
Find something else!!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 17, 2018
Bathroom breaks can literally only be 7 minutes.Very easy to get a write up. The stations where you work at are always filthy dirty every single day. 9/10 people always quit within the second week because it’s so boring. They have this point system where you accumulate points (being late,not online for your entire shift, missing a shift) and if you hit 8 points your automatically fired. Monthly times where you have to be online 98% of the day, for every single month which is the entire shift literally! If you score under you get a write up. This job is NOT WORTH IT.
Pros
Celebrate holidays
Cons
Watched 24, 7/Treat you like little kids, No freedom
easy but stressful
Relay Operator (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 10, 2018
Typical day at work would include taking calls as they come in no interaction with customers. I learned how to be alert to callers and to have very good listening and verbal communication. The management was changing often but feel did ok with what interaction I had. Hardest part was hearing difficult conversations day in and out.
Its started well, but now they are too big for their britches
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Moraine, OHJune 4, 2018
I have worked with the company for the past 6 months. The company when I first started felt welcoming and worked with me and supported me. Now the company has grown exponentially and does not care about its employees. It is next to impossible to get off work even when it comes to my kids. They will "let " you off but you get pointed. The sad thing is that the supervisors have so much to do and they dont pay them enough for what is forced upon them. If given the opportunity to advance to administration I would never by any means accept it much less apply. 6 months ago they looked happy, but now they are always just stressed and defeated. Dont work here.
Pros
good pay
Cons
poor management, dont work with schedules
September 11, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are always striving to improve our processes and have taken note of the items you listed that need to be reviewed. At CSD we believe it is important to have the right people in the right roles at all levels who are committed to our core values. It also means we remain responsive to constant changes in the industry while being strategic about our growth and mission. Sometimes this can result in unexpected organizational changes, however, we continue to provide ongoing opportunities for employees to grow, learn and succeed.

The Best Job
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lemoore, CAJuly 8, 2018
When I was hired with this company, I was elated! Everyday, the people were constantly smiling at each other with warm welcome. The management team do care about their employees and customers, which led to a Company of the Year recognition by our city in California.
Pros
Management is the best
Cons
Not a great place to work for
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 11, 2018
Not exactly a great place to work for if your looking to advance up. I enjoyed working for the company with different challenges every week. I was just shocked in the end when they decided to let me go because of bad reasons.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Communication Service for the Deaf. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.1InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

4.8Career Opportunities

4.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight