Communities In Schools
Happiness rating is 74 out of 100

Communities In Schools Employee Reviews

Communities In Schools insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Gave me sense of purpose

I love advocating for kids in need and impacting the lives of kids. Even after being a student who utilized their services, I continue to work with CIS, I continue to stay involved with them and their efforts.

Pros

Positive Environment

Cons

A place where you can increase professional development skills, use evidence based practices, and grow as a therapist

This job offers great incentives for a therapist to increase their learning through CEU’s and reimbursement for trainings. Job also provides you with resources in the community available to students in schools and their families in need. Provides more mental health supportive services in the schools, and great experience with individual and group counseling. Working in a school can be stressful and straining. Must have great work life balance and great self care!

Pros

Professional development budget reimbursement, emotional support for mental health breaks

Cons

Pay is relatively low, not enough PTO days

Fun work place if you love kids!

This position is wonderful if you love the school environment and interacting with children k-12. There is little to no room for advancing from your current position, and I'm the type of person who wants to build my experience and career. Great job for retired or entry level position. Can be rather stressful at times. Overall, good job, but pay wasn't what I would hope it would be for required job duties.

Pros

Loved that I could interact with children, each semester is different, but overall consistent schedule.

Cons

Pay and management

Productive great environment

Great place to work wonderful staff great support system. I enjoyed my time working with this company. You get to work with young kids and are able to change there lives for the better.

Poorly Managed

The stores are a great benefit to the community,but the general management overall lacks experience and willingness to support store managers/assistant managers. There's little room for growth, more work than can be done in one day, and no recognition for a job well done. Volunteers aren't given clear direction or coordination, and the "store manager" is basically a clerk given more responsibility that doesn't align with the rate of pay. Might be good for retirees, but not for people with kids or other commitments.

Pros

Working independently

Cons

No benefits, low pay, odd schedule.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Wonderful Place

CIS is a wonderful starting place when you first graduate. It provides lots of hands on learning with students. The culture of the organization is just super supportive and encouraging.

The best benefit is that you get summers off.

You get to work in a school setting calling with students, staff and families. The best benefit is summers and holidays off. You will get attached to the students and families.

Pros

Time off

Cons

Pay

Disappointing

I was excited to work for an organization promoting inclusiveness and advocacy. Unfortunately myself and other POC employees on my team have come to realize how untrue these promises are, evidenced by what we have seen and experienced.

Work more with the campus than CIS

Good job overall. Often feel distant from central staff/management. With closely with the campus. Can create your priorities depending on the campus administration.

Mixed Reviews

I did enjoy interacting with customers everyday but the amount of work that was expected was at times ridiculous. The pay was OK but did not seem fair for what is asked of the employees. No benefits or paid vacation. Thrift shop was only closed 5 Days a year(not paid time off). They expected too much out of Thrift shop volunteers, and never want to give employees the support to succeed at their jobs. Anytime you ask for supplies you were told it was not in the budget. Gave this company almost 4 years and got no appreciation for my hard work until I put in my 2 week notice. Overall not a company I would recommend working for.

Jobs at Communities In Schools

See more jobs

Great non-profit organization- just too big of a caseload for one person

CIS is the best non-profit I have ever worked for- it was great to see how a non-profit, particularly of this affiliate's size, could operate. There were tons of trainings, excellent supervisors and leadership. It was well organized. My only concern is the total work requirements for one Site Coordinator- it was a lot to keep up with by oneself. There was a lot of team work and because of this, it was easy to rely on people for additional support when needed, such a activities that were campus wide, or field trips.

Pros

Time off (school calendar), excellent benefits, good leadership.

Cons

Work load/requirements for one person.

Great organization with clear mission

CIS is a great place to work. I’m sure each affiliate is different but mine was great. Everyone has a similar outlook on the work and do their best to help students succeed. Love the model but at times seems like a lot for just one coordinator.

Pros

Supportive work culture

Cons

Not enough pay for work load

Doing important work in our community

CIS of Richmond is an outstanding organization that cares deeply about the community we serve and also our employees. There is transparency and discussions about improvements are collaborative engaging all stakeholders.

A Great Place to Work

The company is true to their mission, morals, and values. It is a wonderful organization and a great company. I have learned so much working with this company.

Pros

Flexibility, pay, and room for growth

Just Don't Go For a Floater Position

So I was a floater at Communities in Schools for only about 6 months so I'm not gonna review them as if I worked there for years. It's a basic, low-paying, in-between type of job that doesn't pay much but you also don't do all that much.I would just say do not go for the "floater" position. I usually love jobs where I can switch it up, but this job relies heavily on the kids at the schools knowing you and respecting you enough to actually listen to you and when you're a floater that goes to a different school every single day that just doesn't happen, at least not fast enough. I was basically a backup babysitter who was just there to help corral kids and act as lunch lady.The other big problem was planning on the part of the different schools you'd be expected at. There was no communication between Communities in Schools and the actual schools themselves on which floater would be showing up and which door we were supposed to enter. I spent a lot of time either waiting outside of schools for someone to let me inside or walking aimlessly around schools trying to find where I needed to be.Management themselves were always nice to me, one tagged along on my first day and helped me learn the ropes which was much needed. I never felt talked down to by my bosses and I felt respected. Sometimes the other women can gossip or try to start drama, but it never weighed on me nor did I feel it affected the way anyone did their jobs. It's just that frankly kids just don't take well to floaters when they have the teachers they've known all year already there. I didn't love it here, but -

Pros

Regular hours, clear expectations, good management.

Cons

Low pay, no planning on schools part.

A chance to make a difference

CIS really cares about its families and employees. They are constantly trying to improve and advance the culture of the company. The are a staple in the Houston community and a great place for new graduates to get their foot into the professional world.

Great mission with poor management

The best part of this job:-The other site coordinators are generally all incredible people, hard working, and wanting to do their best for the kids. They will be the ones who help you out and have your back-The mission. CIS as a national organization is great and is research based work.-School schedule is great and flexible.The worst parts:-Management is fine to loose people, does not train well, and results to threats to get things done instead of encouragement-Money. The pay is terrible and there is no budget for the individual site programs. The most enjoyable part of the job is undoubtedly the kids. The hardest part is dealing with management politics or poor understanding of the program from school staff.

Pros

School schedule

Cons

Low pay, managment doesn't look out for their people, poor job training

Good management, high expectations, low pay

I worked as a site coordinator. Management was kind, but the workload was high. They were flexible in my work schedule for doctors appointments, etc.

Fun workplace!!

CIS is a phenomenal program for students who are at risk, homeless, and pregnant. Site Coordinators are always there to help when needed. I loved that I had a Food Pantry and Clothes Closet for my students. Work schedule was flexible, great hours, and holidays off. Administration wasn’t the best but it was still a great place to work.

Pros

Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance paid, Spring Break off, as well as 2 wks off during Christmas Break.

Cons

Poor Administration and a lot of favoritism.

Great place for starting out

The mission is amazing, the grants are often complicated and staff only implemented the ones they chose to. It's a good company it needed better leadership.

Pros

Casual

Cons

Hire with low salaries attracting very green social workers

Mission-driven

Work with people who truly care about helping kids succeed in school. Great training. Access to variety of resources to support kids and families. Staff support each other.

Pros

All school holidays are paid days off

Cons

Some evening and weekend work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Communities In Schools. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
3.9Career Opportunities
3.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight