Community Access Inc Employee Reviews

Good work atmosphere
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Independence, MODecember 22, 2018
Community Access has an outstanding mission message to enhance the quality of life for Disabled people Management is fair&,compassionate Pay is low Work environment is relaxed but emphasizes attention to detail and effective emergency response Many outings for residents
Pros
Friendly atmosphere/Dedication to residents/Dedicated staff and management
Cons
Low pay/ Training is brief and not always thorough
Self Determination vs Self Preservation
Program Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 21, 2018
Agency does not focus on real life practices as it relates to philosophy and accountability. Program Participants are at risk for failure due to loose connection with reality. Staff are forced to work in hostile, unhygienic environments while management expects you to support their decisions. Participants are actively using illicit substances meanwhile the Harm Reduction approach has been modified to support them in their downward spiral. Staff are not compensated fairly and there is a large disconnect with Management and their expectations. Meetings are endless and nothing gets done.
Pros
Participants
Cons
Managment & HR
Not an easy place to work.
Habilitation Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKDecember 8, 2018
This is not a job for everyone, you have to have a big heart and nerves or steal. You get criticized a lot and no real help. They pay is not worth the effort put into the job. Thought I do believe the clientele deserves much better care then they get.
An odd experience
Front Desk Associate/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 20, 2018
Working with community access has been an exciting experience with its tenants and coworkers. The work experience was lively or quiet depending on the time period.
Productive and mission focused
Assistant Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJOctober 17, 2018
The hardest part of the job was to not over commit and under deliver. A typical work day is to ensure we are meeting our goals and looking forward to accomplishing them at the end of the day.
Pros
Passionate staff
Prepare for abuse
Senior Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  TintonJuly 21, 2018
The company protects clients unworthy of service. You will be abused disrespected and threatened by clients. You are not allowed to call the police or you will be reprimanded
Excellent
Driver (Current Employee) –  South Easton, MAJune 28, 2018
Good job need better pay and benefits..cant coplain about this job they have been good to me....I recommend this job for any one who is looking for a job and drive all day
Pros
Need more hours
Cons
Great boss
fun teaching dance
Dance Teacher (Former Employee) –  Great Barrington, MAApril 18, 2017
I enjoyed working with special needs people and teaching them dance. All managers were great. It was a little long for a commute though. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to be involved in my art form.
has a gym on site, facility groups healthy eating, harm reduction, meditation, etc.
Ad Hoc Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  1750 Davidson AvenueJune 11, 2015
Outreach tenants, facility groups. I learned to lead other with compassion and managerial skills. We have a small unit so we have each others back, and respect each other. The hardest part of the job is encourage and assisting individual's to seek help (i.e. psychiatrist, therapist, detox, etc). When you actual break through and a individual changes for the better (i.e. took the necessary steps to get SSI, go for psychiatric appointments, take medication, ADL skills are in place.
Pros
perks: trips such lunch on the spirit of NY, Fun day staff have dinner and a fun activity paid by the agency.
Cons
low salary
Working w/ adults w/ disabilities is both challenging as well as rewarding
Specialist/Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 12, 2014
There are no two days exactly alike. The work days are as varied as the participants. Being in the Community with them is educational for all parties. The participants educate the folks in the community while they are learning and experiencing life.

I have learned a great deal from working with this particular population. I have learned determination, gratitude, flexibility,
and most importantly to live each day in anticipation.

I absolutely love my boss. She allows me to do my job, and is always there, should I need to make inquires. She does not micro-manage, and trusts that I will take care of things. I thrive with a management style like hers.

I do not see my co-workers often. We are all out in the community
with our respective participants. I do enjoy the few times I get to collaborate with them. My department, in particular, has an atmosphere of respect and cooperation.

The hardest part of the job may well be some of the more physical components, such as transferring a Participant into/out of my vehicle.

The most enjoyable part of my job, is being able to assist my clients
in having a fuller, more well-rounded life.
Pros
Independence while working, hours are self determined
Cons
Challenging, low wages
About Community Access
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJJuly 25, 2013
CAU provides support and gives a voice to adults and youth who traditionally have had little support and no voice in society. We help people with housing, life skills training, vocational skills, employment, health maintenance, money management, socialization, education, crisis intervention, civic activities and community support. CAU also supports opportunities for advocacy through training in assertiveness, decision-making and civil rights.
Interesting place to work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Day HabSeptember 16, 2012
I worked with the mentally challenged while keeping them busy throughout the day Monday-Friday. I assisted the individuals with eating; giving medications, restroom responsibilities, therapy tasks, and I also helped them with basic life skills such as basic spelling, vocabulary and math skills. I assisted with arts and crafts. I learned about many different disorders. Management was not stable because just in the year I was employed there, we had at least 3 managers. I had good co-workers that were dedicated to their jobs as well. The hardest part of this job was having to work the major holidays without extra pay and not being home with my child during that time. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the individuals exceed in what each one was working on.
Pros
monday-friday 8am-4pm job.
Cons
no benefits
productive
Client Transportation (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MASeptember 14, 2012
Overall this job was very demanding and non-rewarding. Offered reasonable hours, but no advancement in company.
Pros
down-time throughout workday
Cons
no benefits
There is a lot to do which I like.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  2 Woodward Ave. # 608, Detroit, Michigan 48226February 29, 2012
Although I enjoy working at the Community Access Center,This position is not secure for me. Time goes by fast, because there is much to do which I really like.