Community Blood Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Horrible management
Sterile tech (Former Employee) –  Kettering, OHAugust 14, 2018
Worked for community tissue services for 3 years was sexually harassed on a daily basis. Management is only worried about numbers and is constantly breathing down your neck. If you speak out against anyone over you you will be reprimanded. Constant gossip and bullying.
Great company
Donor Records Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 29, 2018
Love this company and everyone I work with. The management is extremely nice and understanding. They really appreciate and value the workers. They trust you to be independent so there's no "shadowing" or someone over your shoulder all the time
Pros
great staff
Cons
the pay is ok, but starting out, I think it could be better
Is Great
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Iam a Lab TechIIJuly 19, 2018
CBC is a great place to work in . It is a great organization. People love to work at Community Blood Center to save life. It is all about life saving in our community.
Management unprofessional, low morale
Driver - Hospital Services (Former Employee) –  Montvale, NJJuly 7, 2018
Always being watched, unnecessary discipline, undervalued...as a driver you're being monitored on computer screen as you drive. They tally how many hospital deliveries you can make each shift. The vans are beat up, poor working air conditioners and smelly. As soon as you come back from a long distance delivery and you want to go to lunch they shove another delivery your way.
They charge the hospitals $213.00 per bag of donated blood and only pay you $12.50 an hour to drive to deliver those bags of blood.
You must be really desperate for a job to work there.
Pros
Commute
Cons
management, low wages, undervalued, high pressure.
Travel was a plus
Certified Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 18, 2018
My time in CBC was really learning process specially with the Pele of Kansas very colorful towns and people are so warm so my coworkers, my supervisor very excellent person
Pros
2 weeks schedule
Cons
but schedule little bit inflexible specially with dr's appointments
management is biased
Donor Technician, mobile driver (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 23, 2018
management changed and its very biased. The place is becoming more like bio life. very rigid manangement. No room for advancement if you are not a favorite.
Great co-workers, inconsistent hours
Donor Technician (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIApril 9, 2018
The best part of the job was the co-workers. At first it's hard to get along being new but once you do, they feel like family. Some of the greatest people I've worked with. There is gossip all the time though. Hours are always changing. You're full time, but not always given 40 hours a week. Sometimes you'll fall into low 30's to 20's. Then there will be weeks you'll be scheduled 49 hr's. NOT ACCOMMODATING. If you don't have much to do outside of just work this is the job for you. If you have kids, don't take this job. If you're going to school, don't take this job. Management doesn't try to work around your schedule and doesn't understand your health or emergency's. You could be on your death bed and they'd tried to make you feel bad about calling in. Management tries to also force you to come in even though it could affect the rest of the employees and donors. NOT ALWAYS GIVEN BREAKS OR LUNCH. You can work 8 hours and sometimes only get a 15 minute break if you're lucky. Since there's always a shortage on employees, you're expected to work twice as hard. Good environment, but management and hours are bleh.
Pros
co-workers, pay, environment, making a difference, educational
Cons
little to no breaks, poor management, gossip
awesome benefits
Blood Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 7, 2018
People are cut throat. Management is a joke, and hours suck.
No lunches or breaks. Almost impossible for people with kids.
Will not work with people who are in school/college.
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
this is a very rewarding job. You are saving lives.
Phlebotomist/interviewer (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOApril 4, 2018
This is a very rewarding job. You are saving lives with every pint of blood you draw. The job was intense, you had to pay attention, sop notes changed regularly.
Pros
didn't work 8 hrs daily sometimes
Cons
Hours were inconsistant.
Worked with some great people
Phlebotomist, Mobile Driver, Apheresis Technician (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMarch 12, 2018
Hours of work made it difficult to have a personal life. Because this is a service type job, hours varied week to week. Employer at that time did not take into account suitable time off between shifts. Also the schedules were not made out much in advance at times so it was very difficult to plan any personal time unless I used vacation time.
Pros
Woked with some great people
Cons
work hours
inconsistant hours
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  wisconsinMarch 11, 2018
if you take the politics out of the cooperation lean in on your helping others it could be manageable, for a while. management is nowhere to be found when you need them and unsupported in career advancement
Great Mission, Awesome team environment
Team Lead, Tele recruiter, Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIFebruary 27, 2018
I have learned so much during my time here. The organizations mission alone is a great reason to work here. The hardest part of my job is trying to educate people on the need we have for their donations. The other side of that coin is seeing how many loyal donors there are in the local communities. The most enjoyable part of my position is coaching others and knowing that what we do saves lives.
Pros
Excellent benefits and work environment.
Best placed ive worked
Collections Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Blue Springs, MOJanuary 14, 2018
The best placed I have worked. The atmosphere was very calming and relaxed. They work as a team and always helping each other. I wish I could still work there but I learned a great lesson on professionalism and my work ethic
Pros
team environment
Cons
the commute
Fast paced
Donor Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJanuary 12, 2018
Irregular hour; learn the importance of teamwork; management is result driven; great teamwork environment; hardest job is irregular hours; most enjoyable is the staff.
Benefits
Cons
Irregular hours
Mobile Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 9, 2018
As I was Temp, I was nit in position to know all these. What I saw is that People in the same service are friendly. People I met in my department welcomed me and were so helpful to me.
Great cause; I'm still all for the cause.
Collection Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 30, 2017
I loved working there. Life balance wise it probably wasn't good for me but I didn't care. Unfortunatly I was only one of many who lost their job due to someone who made it hard for poor CBC. They figured it out but too late for me personally. It's probably back to being a great place again by now. You have to be dedicated to the cause of saving lives. And care about the health, wellness and safety of people you are very likely to never meet. The very character of a blood doner makes it a pleasure to meet and work with such people.
And working with the type of coworker dedicated to saving lives will be a positve expertence. Those not as dedicated soon fall away. You can't be afraid of work and study..
Pros
You can save lives by the thousands; feel good about yourself kind of job;
Cons
hours can be long and all over the place in the day; breaks are short and not certain;
Community Blood Center
Donor Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHDecember 9, 2017
I loved working at CBC. My teammates were for the most part, good to work with. The management was great The training was excellent. The actual job duties were semi-stressful, but the team atmosphere was excellent. The hours were variable, so it was hard to work as a single mom, and I left to go back to school full time
loved making a differnece in peoples lives
Donor Tech II (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIOctober 29, 2017
Got to work with different people every day and see different people on blood drives
fast paced competitive pay
knowing you are helping to save lives in your own little way
Pros
good coworkers help save lives
Cons
some early reprot times sometimes no time for lunch
Productive and good coworkers
Component Lab Tech II (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 21, 2017
Worked with a great group of co-workers. Managers would quit or get fired and was replaced every year or two. Upper management very friendly and interacted with the employees. Turnover is high at times. Overall not a bad place to work.
Pros
Free lunches, scrubs provided, excellent trainers, friendly coworkers
Cons
Micromanaging, high turnover
poor place to work
Always give good customer service (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 12, 2017
This is a outside job standing on the street asking for blood . this is number driven you chase people begging for blood this is a for profit for upper management 6 figure
Pros
nothing good
Cons
begging for blood