Community Education Centers Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
inpatine teatment
Program Counselor (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJune 6, 2018
I started with individual counseling sessions and group sessions as well. I enjoyed my boss and co workers. The benefits were okay. I did group sessions very day.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
poor salary
Fast pace environment
Intense Outpatient Counselor (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 6, 2018
Great place to learn, fast paced environment. Room for growth and education about addiction and CBT. Good positive work environment. Annual 4o hour training.
Cec
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 8, 2018
Productive place to work, management is okay but have personal issues.
Need uniforms for workers.
People are ok to work with, however supervision can be very bias in certain situations.
You learn a lot about criminal behavior if criminal justice is a career you are seeking.
The hardiest part of the job is some days you are over work due to staff not being available.
fast pace
Facility Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 14, 2018
non-stop work.
good communication with staff.
the workplace culture is diverse
I enjoy team work, respect from peers.
needs more structure.
love to be apart of a strong team.
Pros
30 minute lunch break
Very Productive
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chester, PAFebruary 13, 2018
Community Education Centers was a great company to work for. They allowed proper training for the maintained staff to excel within the company. There was always room for growth within the company.
Pros
Certificates, Employee of the Month Acknowledgement, Advancement.
Providing Treatment to Inmates before Re Entry
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Brooksville, FLFebruary 3, 2018
Facilitated an IOP program for female residents who had 36 months before end of sentence. We didnt receive support from corporate. Continued to change upper mgmt. Staff didn't receive any increaes
Pros
Provided an atmosphere of change for the clients
Cons
Outdated curriculum
Great management, great potential and personal growth
Finance Director (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 20, 2017
My position at this company was beyond anything I had done previously. I learned a great deal while working here doing price proposals and how to submit bids and determine pricing. Additionally, I worked with individual divisional directors on budgeting and analysis of monthly financial results.
Pros
Great people to work and learn from.
Cons
Company was sold
This was my first job as a substance abuse counselor and it was an entry level job.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, DEDecember 9, 2017
I worked with the best director you could have in this field. I learned a lot about groups, assessments , individual counselling and looking at recovery from the big picture.
Pros
I leraned about the entire job.
Cons
The money was low.
Sometimes supervisors are in favor of workers salary increase but head office does nothing.
Administrative Assistant/Clinical Support (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLNovember 27, 2017
Compensation for the employees actually doing the work is not adequate. Inspite of the low salary employees gave 100%. It was a pleasure working with our clientele. We gave our all because those who we worked with needed for us to go above and beyond for them.
love the job
Director of Alumni Services (Current Employee) –  West Caldwell, NJNovember 8, 2017
started working here in 2000, was given the opportunity to advance several times. can not say anything bad about my experience working for this company. the company however was brought out by another company so CEC no longer exist. this place gave opportunities to many who in other cases wouldnt have any .
draining and stressful
Grievance Coordinator/ Central Files Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thornton, PANovember 5, 2017
It was a very draining and miserable place to work. co-works were great, most management was wonderful meanwhile the others brought the morale down. I enjoyed my job itself but the nature of the place was draining.
there was room for progress, but there wasn't anything being done about it.
Operations Counselor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 3, 2017
I believe that CEC was a great place to work but like any other job it has it's ups and it's downs. It Just needed the right management or I should say supoervisor, and the establishment had potential to be ran correctly.
most enjoyable part of the job
Training Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Caldwell, NJOctober 23, 2017
Enjoyed working with the majority of the staff. As a mid management employee I worked very closely with corporate and upper management staff. I grew
Pros
Very family oriented
Cons
lot of over time
Great way to cut your teeth out of college, but nothing more.
Counselor I (Former Employee) –  East Saint Louis, ILOctober 7, 2017
A pretty consistent day both being different and the same all at once. As a counselor, you are expected to provide group therapy related to drug and alcohol education and life skill development to help the clients/inmates make better choices upon re-entering the community.

More often than not, this agency is located within a correctional setting and faces expectations and requirements based on this setting that may limit your intervention techniques, therapeutic buy-in, and support.

Also, it seems as if everyone is sleeping with one another--married and single people alike, so if you value your relationship, you have to be strong in your personal convictions.
Pros
Free lunches, don't take your work home with you, great way to cut your teeth
Cons
Conflicts of interest, administrators are ex-addicts
Criminal Justice Department
Program Counselor (Former Employee) –  Reading, PA 19601September 29, 2017
I love to work with this population and work in the helping profession. I learned a lot about documentation, assessments, and counseling theories. The hardest part was low payment. The most enjoyable was my co workers and boss, they were awesome, team players.
Pros
Learning a lot about RR, 12 steps AA & NA
Cons
low pay
Program Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VA 23328September 27, 2017
Atypical work day involved facilitating groups in and morning and afternoon all day everyday. The bulk of the work day was in the housing unit with the clients. I enjoyed seeing clients go through the change process, and coming out as better men.
Pros
Influencing men to change for the better.
Cons
Not enough time for documentation.
This company is mainly concerned about profit!
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 26, 2017
The staff was great to work with. The environment is harsh between staff and corporate. Very cut throat. The company never is on the side of the employee. Always the inmates. You can get fired at the drop of a dime. This company puts money before employees.
Pros
The working staff was great
Cons
Never salary increases in the years I was there.
Very organized facility.
Operations Counselor (Former Employee) –  West Caldwell, NJSeptember 21, 2017
Very organized facility. Managemnet often treats staff as if they are inmates themselves. Workplace culture is very cut-throat. Hardest part of the job is standing for hours on end and then expected to do mandatory overtime to be on your feet for more hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was actually the inmates.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Harsh management style
I didn't like that the were able to fire you immediately without explanation, because there wasn't a union
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  100-140 Lincoln Highway, Kearny, New Jersey 07032September 20, 2017
I loved the job overall. It allowed me to practice my craft in a clean and healthy environmemt
The people were friendly and helpful
The teamwork with other departments allowed us to understand the needs of the resident being processed in or out of the facility
Terrible place to work
Case worker (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 18, 2017
High turnover
Management does not care about the population
Lack of resources
Unprofessional Staff Members
Good entry-level job for persons straight out of college