COMMUNITY HEALTHLINK Employee Reviews

Was a great job.
Case Manager/ Certified Peer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 15, 2019
I loved working at CHL. The client were great it was a community. There were alot of inner workings and secrets and gossip which made it hard after a while to work there. Also people were burning out left and right from to much responsibility.
Pros
Helping clients and seeing them improve.
Cons
Seeing all the workers burn out from not taking care of themselves.
Incompetent company
Many positions (Former Employee) –  Worcester, LeominsterMay 25, 2019
No you do not make 29k at CHL working in residential. You are paid minimum wage, maybe a dollar more. People can't leave this agency fast enough. I have never seen so many employee's selflessly give to their clients who in turn don't make enough to eat or afford housing themselves. Most employees work two jobs and are also on food stamps or Masshealth.
Pros
Employees are great
Cons
Horrible pay, divisive union and management, bad morale, out of date technology...
incompetent upper management
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Worcester County, MAMay 13, 2019
this company is very insincere higher up and lacks any ability to run a program or manage money. despite increased awareness in the community and increased funding from government the agency continues to cut programs and limit resources with no regard for the clients or staff. They will lie to their employees faces, pretend to care and listen, and then take nobodys voice into consideration when it comes to decision making. They are hopefully not malicious merely incompetent but their incompetence leads to patients being left on the street or receiving sub par care by overworked staff with no resources.
Pros
good compensation due to union
Cons
incredibly aggravating upper management
Staff is inexperienced . Staff is either in the favorite circle or tagged as bad
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 26, 2019
Favorite staff make errors but administration covers it up but when a person who does their job and is tagged makes an error they will be reprimanded. There were times that staff would make medical decisions with out a medical person opinion. Staff plays on cell phones, rude to clients and gives the impression that they are bothering staff. Supervision is a learning tool but at CHL it’s used to tell everything you do poorly or negative reports from other staff. Nothing positive is said. Some of the favorite staff have almost no supervisions but the tagged staff may have them every week. The senior administrative staff and the compliance staff make up their own versions of an issue under evaluation. Communication is horrible too. I will say there are a few staff that treat the clients with professional manor. The clients know what staff care or which are putting on a good show. No upper management or administration should be trusted since they “forget” important information such as when staff becomes full time from part time that a 90 day probation period is in effect. This is after staff had worked a 1 1/2 years only change was part time to full time. So they can fire a person because of the probation period yet staff isn’t told this can happen. CHL compliance staff twist words and repeat that since A staff may not have followed protocol that they must not care about the issue. Investigations into a situation should have a union rep yet at CHL its forgotten.
Pros
Clients and working with them on goals
Cons
Administration and management are not to be believed or trusted
Run for your life!
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 26, 2019
Working with clients is worthwhile, however, management from the top down creates unnecessary stress on employees. Incompetence runs rampant within lower management and clearly upper management is indifferent to the unsafe and unethical practices going on at the program level. Additionally, the agency culture of disrespect that is allowed to flourish is unbearable! CHL is a revolving door because of antiquated thinking and mismanagement. Don't get sucked into their hype!
Pros
Higher pay than other agencies.
Cons
Substandard management and low morale due to lack of respect, Have to work overtime to make ends meet, Mandated shifts, Inadequate resources, This list could go on...
Good place to work.
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 20, 2019
My job is to assist our clients to get to the next level in their recovery, and provide them with the necessary tools that can help to prevent relapse.
Very poor highschool like management
Res staff (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 13, 2019
Upper management is detatched from what the mission of the company is. They don't care about lower management, counselors and sadly clients. Hr ignores you and takes months to do anything. Very disappointed in this company
Pros
Cons
No supervision, poor upper management, serious lack of emoathy
Don't do it, waste of time.
Clubhouse Staff (Former Employee) –  FitchburgMarch 6, 2019
Hired as per-diem clubhouse coordinator. Lots of promises that someday I will be able to go full time. I was getting 8 hours a week working every Wednesday day shift. Nothing more. I filled in doing the full-time and part-time positions for a few weeks as they were posted and vacant. I applied for both positions. Never got an interview. My manager wanted me to go full time and at least fill the part-time position. The agency/organization did not listen to him and hired outside candidates to fill the positions.

They did move up a lazy employee from part-time to full-time and the staff was against it but the agency based in Worcestor moved him up anyways. The higher management does not listen to the local branch management. Lots of collusion there.

Was a big waste of my time there for a year waiting for those positions to open up so I could move up from per-diem hours. So don't believe them if you apply for the per-diem position. They make it sound great and you will advance but they want to keep you at per diem because they cannot find anyone willing to do that.

They know they have a revolving door and high turn over of employees but not willing to do anything about it. They require a bachelors degree for a $13 an hour job but they say they will take experience in lieu of the degree but they don't.

If you have a degree don't waste your time here. You can start out at the local Recovery Center in the next town over at $20 or more an hour full-time without experience and doing alot less.
Pros
Nothing. Stay Away.
Cons
No hours as per diem, no moving up to part or full time. low salary.
Ever increasing job responsibilities
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 24, 2019
As more and more direct care staff, management, and upper management leave the agency, the job duties are thrown haphazardly on overworked, often under qualified, staff. I think the most negligent part of this is lack of even BASIC training in caring for patients.

The agency has a propensity for hiring inexperienced candidates, more than likely to maintain low pay. Although there’s isn’t anything wrong with hiring staff new to the field, the upper tier of management’s failure to provide training in evidence-based practice models and interventions during orientation is unimaginable and considerably concerning. Especially for an agency that boasts providing “comprehensive treatment” for mental and substance use disorders.

Staff members often treat patients like children instead of engaging individuals with compassionate, supportive care. It’s frankly hard to watch the lack of respect towards the people we serve and the incredulous outcomes for our sensitive, vulnerable cases. Unreasonable discharges, unprofessional environments, lack of treatment models, failure to propose or implement improvements, gross negligence leading to patient fatalities, and blantant human rights and HIPAA violations are unfortunately commonplace among treatment here.

Lastly, this is not a “clinically diverse” agency. Multidisciplinary teams do not exist. There is often a power struggle between staff with absolute zero effective intervention by any level of management. Advancement is available but undoubtedly comes with a contract selling your soul to the devil.
Pros
Associated with umass
Cons
Lack of training, Passive-aggressive management style, top heavy/over paid/ghost upper management
Promises of advancement when there is none. Waste of time.
Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAFebruary 13, 2019
I was a pier diem coordinator and was informed that when I was hired if a full-time/part-time position opens up I would be able to move up. Not the case at all. They require a bachelor's degree for those positions and to be honest if I had a bachelors degree I could easily find the same position at another company for $3-$4 more per hour even without any experience.

Working there my supervisor wanted me to move into a permanent full time or part time position but the agency based in Worcestor did not even give me an interview and I was already doing the job filling in for many weeks as the position was vacated by a former employee.

I was a previous full-time coordinator with my former employer but I relocated and could not remain with my employer. So I figured this seemed like a good organization in my field to work for. All other organizations WANT to keep their employers and have them advance up into full-time or part-time positions because it is a sound investment.

Never I have ever heard of a company hiring from outside when they have qualified candidates all ready working in-house.

So don't fall for their interview tactics where they will inform of all the possible opportunities that you will have if you accept the position at $15 per hr. with a bachelor's degree. Go to a recovery rehab center (hint) and apply there and start at $18-$20 per hr. and being in a well organized professional setting with your own office and making your own schedule. None of which is given to you here.
Pros
None.
Cons
Low pay scale where other places will pay $3-$4 per hr. more.
Do not recommend
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 12, 2019
The management is terrible. They pushed out the one supervisor who was doing anything fro the clients. They target staff who try to do what they feel is right for the client. We are "just RCs" so we do not need to know why any decisions are made according to one of the supervisors. It is not a healthy place to work. It is unfair and staff is treated terribly.
Low salary that requires a Bachelor degree. Misleading hiring part-timers.
Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg, MA 01420February 4, 2019
The Coordinator's job requires a Bachelor's degree but the salary is as low as a Walmart associate's pay rate. Don't waste your degree here. $15 per hr. If you have a degree there are so many other places that will pay $20-$25 per hr. Look at a State job or another organization. Even lower level part-time Coordinator that has been doing the same job for a year or more will not move up to the full-time position because they do not have a degree.

It is too bad but the organization and management seems to be out of touch with reality when the requirements for a full-time position is unrealistic for the salary they offer.

When hired as a part-time employee they make it seem that someday you will have the opportunity to go full-time but when that time comes they will tell you that you do not have the credentials even though you have been the doing the same job for months or even years.
Pros
Cons
Low salary. Unrealistic requirements to gain a full-time position. Misleading.
Garbage
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 27, 2019
Garbage company, The will promote a client to a supervisor. The management is all over the place. Company hides behind the union they serve. Company treats employees like they are disposable and not valued.
looking forward on going to work
Case Manager II- Detox (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 14, 2018
A day and life of CHL was different as days pass. As a case manager I did a lot of computer work for DPH. CM's did assessments and referrals for aftercare and ran numerous groups for a positive message of recovery from drugs and alcohol.
not well managed
clinical (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 17, 2018
There is a tension between clinical staff who want to provide high-level care to their clients and an overall management approach of top-down, "command and control"--Management orders, employees obey. Management focuses on paperwork, productivity, (all necessary to managed care of course) and looses sight of the big picture of supporting staff to provide clinical care (the ultimate purpose).

Managers are "enforcers" rather than effective leaders.
Pros
working with a diverse client population
Cons
poorly managed company
Stay Away
Acute Care Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MA 01610August 16, 2018
This was an intensely horrible place to work. Conditions are completely unsafe for both patients and staff. Complete lack of structure in therapeutic programs. Constantly being mandated and expected to work irregular schedule. Vacation time requests frequently denied. Management bullying staff. Harassment when calling out sick. No access to MD except by telephone. Nurses expected to take medical direction from administration. No meal breaks. The list goes on.
Unfair to staff by upper Mgmt
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 9, 2018
After 4 and half years there you'd think you Managers would know and appreciate you. But no that will never happen at CHL. I was let go new worker lie
Pros
Some very good co workers
Cons
No loyalty fro mgmt, i got paid exactly what new staff getting paid, i was there 4+ years go figure
Job Security/ not much room for advancement.
Communication Crisis Specialist (Current Employee) –  Leominster, MAJuly 12, 2018
High stress job with little help to reduce the stress. I have worked with some great people. Was able to gain experience in a field that I didn't have much experience in . Not much room for advancement in the company.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
indequate Parking
Three ring circus with no ringmaster.
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Leominster, MAJuly 6, 2018
Management is very cliquey and unless you tell them what they want to hear you will have no chance at moving up. The pay is extremely low for the duties you are expected to perform. The staff in the program I worked in were unionized and the company promoted an "us versus them" mentality. High turnover rate, incompetent and clueless upper management and unprofessional staff. Stay away.
Pros
Cons
No support from management, always short staffed, high turnover rate.
Ok
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 4, 2018
Great job for starting out in the human services field. It is a very fast paced job and great if you like helping individuals. It can be very stressful as well and at times has a high turnover rate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at COMMUNITY HEALTHLINK. Our community is ready to answer.