Community Involvement Programs Employee Reviews

Relaxed
Respite Worker (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, MNJune 18, 2018
They didn’t micromanage the team that’s always a plus they really didn’t check on staff and clients that often or provide clear objectives as to what the company goal was
Pros
Worked for family
Cons
No clock in system
Great place to work!
Independent Living Skills Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 6, 2017
As an ILS your schedule is really flexible, you work with your clients and do your reporting. The management is nice, the work environment is great, everyone is nice and friendly.
Motto is not what they proclaim
CSS (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNOctober 16, 2017
Poor management both at hc and program site. Several inconsistencies with motto. Person centered they are not but claim they are. If you ask to put a va on a person or house the manager declines but never takes care of issues. Staff is underpaid and they treat some employees fairly while others are not. I think this place shod lose partial funding as it falsifies there beliefs with what tjey actually do.
Pros
Weekends off, great coworkers, pto
Cons
Everything else and managers, pay
Wonderful company to work for!
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant/ Nanny (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNAugust 15, 2017
They provide you with everything you need to be a successful HHA. It was lovely to be a part of this company's vision and to help others in need. This was one of my favorite jobs.
has changed since new CEO
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 21, 2017
CIP is a now about average as a provider of social services-it used to be above average. With the new CEO, it seems to be only a business, and most managers lack good people skills, which is imperative in this field. The business/people skills balance is way off and biased toward money and business. Best part is always helping the people we support.
Pros
benefits, life work balance
Cons
Ceo, management inconsistent, company now seems too money oriented and about task rather than people.
Good company to work for overall
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 3, 2017
I worked for CIP for 5 years. The company as a whole is pretty good but the management style of some of the house managers are a bit to be desired. Also, I have found it impossible to reach the human resources department for employee references.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Human resource and management
Easy going and flexible
Personal Care Attendant (PCA) (Current Employee) –  Shoreview, MNJanuary 11, 2017
My brother is the attendant that I work for. My job is very laid back with him. I get to plan fun activities for us to do and it's nice being able to spend time with him.
Productive workplace
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNJanuary 2, 2017
I loved working at community involvement..it was a great experience they pay was good I love working with my clients the staff was amazing. They treated you with respect .
Pros
Good pay beneficial benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Great people
Administration (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNJune 1, 2016
The people I work with are wonderful. It is great to work with a group that in their DNA really care for other people, it is just what they do. There is a lot of passion around supporting people with disabilities and it feels like when people share those kinds of values and come together they make a happy place.

I know someone else mentioned an inflexible schedule but that hasn't been my experience. I feel like others work varying schedules and I really like that I don't hear whispers that so and so is leaving early and that kind of stuff. People do their job and in this regard at least

People work hard, not always long hours, but they don't mess around. It is social, but pretty focused on the people we serve, our coworkers and learning. I don't mind it, but that's the hardest part of the job. Every day is a challenge in a good way, and it is good work but can be relentless.

When I see some of the employment programs in the past with people with disabilities grouped together doing menial labor (putting together boxes or putting product into boxes) I'm very glad to be at a place where I don't see that happening. Today, that feels like the best part of my job, treating people with respect and experiencing the rewards that come with that.

I really like that we get all of our PTO at the start of the year and spend it down during the year instead of building it up during the year.
Pros
Smart, friendly, passionate people
Cons
Come ready to work
Fulfilling and Rewarding
Personal Care Attendant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 21, 2016
Typical Work Day:
- first communicating with clients about what they have done today to assess their physical and mental whereabouts
- necessary tasks will be taken care of: appointments, grocery shopping, household chores, physical grooming, etc.
- prepare food as a joint activity (if necessary), with the personal care attendant acting as a supervisor to prevent health risks, but primarily made by client
- client will later engage in hobbies or interests in spare time, personal care attendant facilitating when need be
- constantly promote higher levels of client independence
- medication reminders and visual confirmation that clients have taken meds
- documentation

One of the largest lessons learned is how to work with adult clients who all reside in a broad range of cognitive, physical and mental abilities and assess every situation as unique. This involves exercising strength in patience and adaptability as communication totally differs from client to client.

The layout provided by this company makes it very easy to work with client guardians and document work/hours.

The hardest part of the job is that there is usually not enough
available hours to work to make this a sole place of employment.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working directly with the clients - seeing their accomplishments in activities of daily living, overcoming cognitive and behavioral thresholds and working on implementing more efficient and comfortable forms of communication.
Pros
Personal Satisfaction
Cons
Not enough hours
Hardest job I've ever had
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 21, 2016
I loved working with the clients. It's sad that the work isn't valued more than $11 an hour for coordinators who hold bachelors degrees. Good thing we can pay the clerical staff in the office with high school diplomas $15 an hour.
Pros
clients
Cons
compensation
Fun Workplace
Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNMarch 15, 2016
Very fun place to work allows lots of interaction with the clients. Most enjoyable part of the job is helping people less fortunate then myself learn to do things that they never thought they could accomplish.
Loved making a difference in someones life!
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 2, 2016
The best feeling about working was helping someone and changing their life. I was a Personal Care Assistant for a 5 or 6 year old disabled boy. My job was to feed, bathe, change, exercise with, and give him his medicine.
Pros
Great to make a difference
Cons
Have to set a certain schedule
Very supportive and fun culture, great place to work
Janitorial Staff (Former Employee) –  NE Minneapolis, MNJuly 13, 2015
I loved working at CIP it was an amazing experience with amazing people. I learned the value of working hard and how to handle stressful situations.
productive and stressful
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 14, 2014
work is busy and enjoyable but the employees are not willing to work as a team, there is a lot of competitions and management are poor..
Pros
work is busy and fun to do
Cons
no team work
Adults with SPMI have a safe haven here
Mental Health Worker - Adult Foster Care (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 1, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed my position at CIP. The ladies were so much fun and I enjoyed assisting them with their life challenges. A typical day was never typical! If I had a plan A, once I got there, I often had to put plan B in place. That is a challenge that I probably enjoyed the most - never knowing what would happen next and working to keep order and fluency in their lives as much as possible.

I would read the reports from the previous worker, go on-line to see what other needs there were, then work very hard to complete all the tasks needed, med reminders, ILS assistance with cleaning and cooking, van trips to appointments. There are so many details to the job and the numerous things that I did.

One was organize a shopping list that they filled in and take a lady to the grocery store as the main shopper/bagger. She became expert at the new skill of reading price per ounce. There were various skill levels of cooking so sometimes it was finding recipes, helping one of them organize a recipe book, assist with cooking and teaching them that THEY were the cooks, not I. All 4 had eating disorders and that was a big challenge, though it is a special area of mine. It was difficult throwing away food, which went against the grain of how I was raised.

I saw progress while I was there, though sometimes it was fleeting. The hardest part of the job probably was doing the menial task of cleaning in preparation for the inspections that the house had.

My co-workers were fantastic and there was great communication between us. I really liked my manager as well - she
  more... was open to my ideas at all times.

I learned from my clients and grew myself while I was there. Unless you walk a mile in someone's moccasins, you will never truly know them. I felt I got as close as a counselor could while keeping boundaries. In a residential setting seeing clients on a daily basis, that is not an easy thing to do. It greatly improved my skill-base.
Pros
Location for me, great house manager, great fit for my skill set, enjoyed the challenge and clients
Cons
Funding grew so tight that there were salary freezes and many left the org, The also cut the ARMHS services for many clients
Great Company, Awesome Cliente
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNMarch 30, 2013
I work in the Adult Foster Care branch of CIP. Like most of these types of jobs, pay is not the greatest. However, I love my job and in my experience this has been a solid company to work for. They truly care about their employees and their clients.
Fun Workplace, great people
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 27, 2013
Learned CPR/First aid
work days8-10hrs
outdoor work
leadership skills a must
Pros
pto
Flexible place to work with a great patient that makes me feel like an accomplished person.
In-Home Care Attendant (Current Employee) –  Rockford, MNApril 30, 2012
My day at work consists of hospital level care of an 18 year old disabled boy. He has a wide variety of medical issues. I have learned a lot of medical terminology and medical procedures. My co-workers are great and are there to help as much as possible.