Community Options, Inc. Employee Reviews

hardest part of the job
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Summerville, SCJanuary 3, 2019
People who are immature and don't know how to react and understand the proper way to deal with consumers who are mentally challenged. A regular course on compassion, respect and a sense of interest in the consumers is something that regularly needs to be found in the right type of personality of the people that work in this type of field. Staff need to depend on each other and work together to have a shift managed right.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
management crisis response availability, lack of floaters for staff shortage
The job is nice but the pay is bad
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Elmwood Park, NJJanuary 3, 2019
I feel like people in this job field do not get paid for the amount of work they actually do. It becomes stressful and a lot of people quit. I also realized that when you need time off for specific reasons, they don't try to work with you. It seems like all they care about is you coming to work and not you actually taking care of yourself so you can work.
Pros
your peers, the individuals you build with
Cons
the pay, time off
very poor environment to work
Residence Director (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTNovember 27, 2018
Very poor, stressful environment to work. The human resource director harassed several employees, harassed through email and phone calls. Fired staff on the spot without notice, and had inappropriate relationships with the owner of the company. She pushed out any staff that she felt threatened by, and created a hostile working environment. The HR director told many staff, that any complaints raised, stopped at her, and that we were never allowed to talk to the Administrator. Her abuse was allowed, even drove an employee to near suicide, due to her harassment.
Pros
no pros
Cons
the harassment may cost you your life
Relaxed work environment
Supported Living Couselor (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PANovember 1, 2018
A typical day at work would consist of driving clients to and from work, visiting the office, and visiting other clients on my caseload while waiting for working clients to get off of work. Also attending meetings, monthly monitoring, important appointments such as doctors and personal business affairs. Documenting daily progress and assisting with ADL's along with grocery shopping. Also reporting health concerns and behaviors. Contacting family when there is a concern and scheduling important appointments for meetings, doctors visits, and personal matters.
Poor management, staff are disrespectful and rude.
Secretary/Supervisor/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY 11226October 26, 2018
It's relaxed and slow pace, however staff are always doing their own thing, and the manager covers their favorite staff workers. The hardest part of the job is working with staff because they really don't know how to work professionally. The best part of the job is supporting the clients and watching them grow as an individuals.
Pros
Develop skills, and training that can be helpful to experience
Cons
Poor management and lots of staff conflict
Abusive Culture, not a good place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PANovember 9, 2018
Community Options cares about money and that’s it. They’re is no respect for anyone. The only way to get ahead is if the CEO likes you. The CEO and his mangers are quick to place blame without seeking the truth. The culture is based on fear and intimidation.

The homes where the individuals live are in horrible condition. This is a company you do not want to work for.
Pros
The clients, staff
Total favoritism
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Montrose, COOctober 18, 2018
If you did not fit in the box you were targeted to the point of false accusations. Manager had favorite employees who could do anything and get away with it. Hard workers are taken advantage of and slackers are praised. Personal relationships impacted job duties, if you weren't "in" you were made to do all the duties no one liked doing. Unrealistic demands were made of employees. The focus was not on quality of services but the quantity of services were pushed to make more money. Paid minimum wage with no raises because the was "no" money, but could afford to buy office equipment and get items that benefited office staff. Horrible place to work.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Horrible management and pay.
Community Options trains employees to work there.
Community Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJNovember 26, 2018
Community Options was a large company who cared more about there profit margins. Community Options was a non profit organization that supported individuals with mental disabilities.
Pros
The employees worked well together to provide the best possible care to the consumers.
Cons
There aren’t many opportunities for advancement.
This company should be investigated by the state
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  MarylandOctober 24, 2018
This is the worst place I've ever worked the management is horrible the staff is even worse the staff has more issues then the clients schedule is always all over the place I feel so bad for the individuals that are left alone with the staff nobody takes any accountability for anything the management or a bunch of liars they don't take care of the individuals right it's a sad situation the state should definitely investigate this company cause they definitely do not treat people with disabilities right this company has been such a turn-off to me that I don't even think I ever want to work with this community again I hope God has Mercy On The Souls of the people that work for this company
Pros
Cons
The company as a whole!
Unprofessionalism at its best!!
Lead DSP (Former Employee) –  SCOctober 7, 2018
The consumers were great! The administration lack communication skills and professionalism!!
Staff are given an orientation class and then thrown in a house to figure it out for themselves. Administration or “office staff” do not support their direct care staff... questions about the job are shunned upon and ignored.
Lead Staff are merely Uber drivers and nothing more.
Going above and beyond is never acknowledged and the program manager/Coordinator tend to crush staff morale on a daily basis
customer service
LEAD CONSUMER CARE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXOctober 13, 2018
I loved working with the patients but he management was very poor. NO SUPPORT what s ever. Did not keep the property clean enough. Had very poor customer service skills. Front office clerk was rude to everyone that came in. Hour was long if no one showed up for the next shift you had to work it. Couldn't leave the patient unattended. Very sad experience.
Pros
love working with he patients
Cons
Management Horrible
Official response from Community Options, Inc.
November 1, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are proud and thankful that we have hardworking DSP’s to help out with the individuals we support. We are sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with staff members. We encourage our employees to share their concerns with our HR department. As always, we are here to help, and we appreciate the feedback so that we can continue to enhance the quality of our employee’s work experience.

Don’t even think about it
Community Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Princeton New JerseyOctober 4, 2018
Good job if your want experience working for a group home, but please let it be your last choice. They don’t train you for anything and expect your proformance to be A+. They only promote their friends. The Company makes millions and pays their employees nothing. Staffing is horrible so don’t think about being a manger you will work everyday and almost every shift with no help. Everyone in the main office is pretty much rude and knows much of nothing. So try something else. COMMUNITY OPTIONS needs to be thrown away.
Pros
The individuals you serve
Cons
Entire foundation.
Great work environment, helpful staff, and every one work as a team.
Therapeutic Aide (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAOctober 1, 2018
It was a great place to work, the only thing is that i requested Greensburg to work because is close to my house and i got schedule to different places that were to far to travel.for me,
Specially since winter is approaching.We took residents in outings, cook dinner, gave meds, did documentation,did a little housekeeping and make sure residents did their adl's and completed their chores and went to bed on time.
Pros
Great staff, very helpful supervisor, every one get alone
Cons
I was send to a different place of work instead of the one i requested at my job interview
Its fun and exciting
HTS/MAT (Former Employee) –  Chelsea, OKNovember 27, 2018
I loved my clients there loved only working 2 days a week and getting my 40 hrs in but the pay therebis unbelievably low bits more like just extra spending money u cant live on what they pay. However if they would pay about 5 or 6 more an hour it would b the dream job.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Low pay, stressful situations, bad management, have to pay out of pocket cost during job
Always there to help you succeed!
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYSeptember 18, 2018
Community options management is very involved and strive to really help you succeed. They are huge on promoting within and offer mentoring as well (leadership Academy). The individuals are the best also. I really love the team environment and out of all my years in this profession really feel that this company truly cares! If you show up to work, do your job, work as a team, and honestly care about helping people then you will not have any issues working here. Have really great benefits including 3 weeks paid vacation!!! I also loved how much corporate was involved and made you feel appreciated.
Pros
Too many to list!
Cons
Can be stressful at times
Great individuals
Sr. DSP (Current Employee) –  York, PASeptember 23, 2018
The individuals at Community Options are very sweet I've never had a job where I felt so appreciated my boss appreciate me and the individuals that I serve appreciate me as well the pay isn't the greatest but I'm a senior and I run the house so I don't work very hard physically but mentally I'm always trying to do something to better the individuals living arrangements fun intake ET C
Pros
The homes are relaxing
Cons
Management and the pay
Official response from Community Options, Inc.
November 1, 2018

Thank you for taking your time to write a review. We are very happy to hear how the work is rewarding, despite some of the challenges. We appreciate all your hard work and hope that you continue to grow. We are very proud of the multiple career opportunities that we have to offer. For more information on open positions, please feel free to visit our website.

Work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJanuary 4, 2019
Hated how management treated employees and very unprofessional had meeting about non related work situation and following the chain of command for issues at of work never got anywhere
Pros
Get to enjoy working with beautiful and loving clients
Cons
Management act very unprofessional and rude and disrespectful to employees
Terrible
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Drums, PASeptember 11, 2018
A typical day at work is having grown adults gossip in the office for six hours a day and leave early to go home during the last two hours. Never answering phones when there is an emergency. Rewarding terrible individuals for bad behavior. Being completely oblivious to their jobs. Management acting childish and actively picking on employees. Active employees coming to work intoxicated, dressed inappropriately and cursing in front of individuals. Management openly doing drugs during work hours. Employees stealing controlled substances and later being promoted
Pros
You get to cook at work
Cons
This place will stress you out completely
its a job
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 21, 2018
It does not pay enough people can come in with no experience and make almost the same pay as some one that has been there for 10 plus years its sad new hires get more pay but if you are already established in the company you do not get a rate increase
Pros
The service recipients
Cons
rate of pay shortage of staff
This is not high school....
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Derwood, MDAugust 28, 2018
Managers are lazy, vital information never reaches the main office. Pertinent info only goes to they staff that’s favorited or kisses their butts the most. Worked for over 5 years as GNA and never had my supervisors give info to who they felt like vs. everyone who has to deal with the clients.

Managers will only speak to who they feel like but expect to you understand when you’re in the hot seat. Very unqualified and rude. Only want to take things serious when upper management is on their back.
Pros
Not back breaking work
Cons
managers eneable residents to do whatever they want, no boundaries which makes all that training is pointless

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Community Options, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

1.7Personal Development

1.8Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight