Community Partnership Charter School Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
The afterschool program left much to be desired
ACTIVITY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 4, 2018
While the pay rate was high, the available work hours were low and the facilities made it difficult to do my job. Also the day school teachers weren't collaborative and management was not at the level I had come to expect.
Pros
Great student body
Cons
Poor management all around
Overall great place to work!
Dean of Academics and Culture (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 24, 2018
It's a great place to work. The work is continuous and can be challenging, but is expected in this field of work. The school culture is one that supportive of teachers and work on creating an environment of respect for all community members.
Thought I miss the Students, I do not miss the Administration
Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 11, 2017
CPCS administration was a mess when I worked there. No one was on the same page, the principals of the two schools did not communicate and Beginning with Children was not able to get things on track.
Very different experience than the private sector
Co-Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 27, 2016
There was a lot required, but not enough prep time to complete. Long teaching time in the morning before a break. ELA test were weekly and benchmark exams after each unit. Student overall performance was based on the test. Writing time was short and did not provide enough editing before the next unit.

The new principal has plans to implement changes to address the concerns, so next year will look different than this year. The current principal is very open to suggestions and changes necessary to help students.
Pros
Salaries were competitive
Cons
reach logs were challenging to do daily
Was disorganized...
Robotics Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 22, 2015
I grew attached to the students however; there was disorganization with the program. The students chose different classes and moved about. This would have been fine had there not been shows to prepare for. If everyone has shows to prepare for, including technology but the students are spending their time in dance or sports... what can you do? I tried to make arrangements but it was extremely difficult.

In the beginning, I was being texted by my supervisor a lot on my days off when something was missing or misplaced. That's due to other disorganization.

There were two after school programs in one school. The after school program where I worked had teachers that were kind of possessive of their school. Some of them were nice and some of them were a bit whiny and not understanding. For instance, I needed assistance carrying the equipment in the teachers lounge where there is the storage closet. Students aren't allowed in, but what can I do with the 4-6 heavy robotic kits but laptops we used in the class? I had a student help who was curious and peeped his head in the door. This teacher saw that he was helping but was very disgruntled. She told me to find another way to bring the kits into the lounge. I have a class of students and can not leave them unattended. I lead them out on the end of the day form the 5th floor. I can not leave the kits/equipment unattended either and then walk the students out and return to the 5th floor. In the end, I started leaving the kits in the after schools main office which was often unlocked and uninhabited. These kits were $450 a piece.
  more... That's $2k to $3.5k of kits that someone could walk out with. The cabinet key was often misplaced anyway. I spoke to he supervisor but what can I do? I would try to hide them behind her desk so it was not noticeable.

A new rule was established weeks after my hire, lesson plans expected every Monday whether you worked or not. I would hand mine in every Monday except when my son ended up in emergency. I texted to let my supervisor know even though I did not work Mondays, that my son was in the hospital. The next day was Tuesday and no school. I received a an e-mail on Tuesday that I received a final warning to have my lessons on time. I was livid! I sent a copy of the drs note, but I was given no understanding.

My final warning was sent via e-mail and actually my first warning! When I spoke to my supervisor and her assistant, her assistant stated that they warned everyone in a team meeting not to ever be late with the lesson plan. So EVERYONE was warned! When I asked around hardly any of the other teachers handed in the lesson plans at all, talk about on time. The other teachers didn't know what warning the supervisors were referencing. I didn't know what warning they were talking about either! I know that's not how warnings work and tried to explain that. I guess that what happens when workers experience the "power" of managing or supervising but have not had training. They say things and do things without thinking about what it means. I did not need unnecessary stress at that time. It turns out I could not come in that week due to taking care of my child. I turned in a lesson plan for nothing.

They never re-hired staff for this year. None of the teachers were re-hired or even the supervisors.
Pros
Helped order kits and the supervisor could be talked to.
Cons
An assistant to the supervisor was very immature, ignorant and inexperienced
great environment to learn from dynamic staff
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 6, 2014
My expeerience for 5 years was great. The director was always encouraging, the staff was always helpfull. I learned about intentional teaching, teaching the whole child and having string relatiuonships with families leads to better relationships with students.
the hardest part of the job was the inconsistent curriculum each year.
the most enjoyable art of my job was the ability to be allowed to try new ideas with students in the classroom.
Pros
art, music
Enjoyed working with children
School Aide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, New YorkJuly 30, 2014
A typical day at work would be accurately entering breakfast/lunch count for all students who've eaten daily. Assist with management in classrooms. Pulling out student who may need that extra help or one on one time.
I enjoyed working with my co-workers especially the teachers. I would often times get information regarding a students progress due to my pulling the child out daily.
The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my student. That brought me joy on a regular basis. I loved bonding with them. Making them feel confident in whatever they put their mind to. I treated them the was I treated my own children with love and respect.
Pros
Flexiable hours, was able to bring my child to work
Cons
No benefits, Wasn't satified with my pay, They didn't give us any room for growth, Cliquey, Over worked and underpaid
Excellent core values for students that can be used throughout life.
Collaborative Team Teacher - Grade (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 26, 2012
Great place to learn and perfect the craft of teaching. A typical day begins at 7:30am. The student's leave at 4pm but teachers generally stay pass 5:30pm. Each teacher is required to do about 2 days of lunch duty per week and also lead an Academy group. For example, I led the debate team. Co-workers are supportive and strive to be excellent at what they do. I enjoyed traveling out of town with the students which is done twice a year.
Pros
family-like environment
Cons
teachers don't have much time to plan; not many breaks during the day