Community Services For The Developmentally Disabled Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
work
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 7, 2018
I could honestly say I love my job I don't see my self leaving here I love my residents dearly. Co workers are very awesome and helpful we are a family here.
Day to Day
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 15, 2018
My day begins with completing notes form the day before. Job searching for individuals. There are times that I do visit individuals at there worksite if they have a job.

I am able to contact my supervisor with any questions or concerns I may have with individuals or the job.
Benefits
Cons
Traveling
At one time was a great place to work
Staff (Former Employee) –  NYFebruary 25, 2018
A typical day at work; Watch your back and be prepared to follow the leader.
I've learned, that if you don't agree with the flavor of the week you will be targeted.
Management; all working like scared puppets, unable to think on their own without fear of retribution.
The hardest part of the job is; Following an agency with no clear leadership, and the direction changing everyday.

Work place culture; Shut up and do whatever you need to do to avoid getting dinged during a survey. and the agency will continue to promote those who are part of the problem because of friendships versus capabilities.

The hardest Part of the job; Is going along with what you know is wrong just to stay employed, and working several hours over your scheduled shifts, because there are not enough staff.

The most enjoyable part; Knowing the people you provide services to need services regardless who is providing them. Seeing smiles on the individuals faces make the hardest parts seem worth it.
Pros
The people we support need us.
Cons
People are leaving the field.
Disappointing
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  buffalo nyFebruary 2, 2018
Opportunity to help people but the pay and managers really make it hard to care. Some people seem to get breaks where others get fired. Bad communications on every level.
benefits
Cons
internal politics and back biting
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 17, 2017
Good place to work if the people who you are working with is unified. Most people feel overworked and under appreciated. Staff are rarely given clear information about expectations of a site.
Productive and sometimes fun to work at
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 17, 2017
Community Services could be a handful sometimes. You are working with people who have a developmentally disability. Some individuas have behavioral issues. There are some individuals that are lazy and would rather you do everything for them then to help themselves. You have a lot of charting to do you have to pass meds you have to run appointments you have grocery shopping to do some mild cleaning and cooking along with tracking everything that individuals do and say
Pros
Okay health care benefits
Cons
No breaks
unfair
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 21, 2017
Do not express your opinions or try to think outside the box. Only the outward appearance matters, not what is really going on inside. The higher ups do not want to listen to the people in the trenches about changes that should be made to better enhance the lives of the people served.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
not progressive, slow to go with the changes and needs of the people
work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 17, 2017
I loved the individuals I worked with that's what kept me their. I have and will recommend a friend to work. the staff I worked with was some of the best people ive meet in my life. long term relationships. I wish the pay was a little more considering the challages the job brings and the long hours.
Pros
individuals and staff
Cons
the lack of repect for the support staff
Enjoy my job
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 22, 2017
At this job I work overnight so I don't have much hands on with the individual as I use to. I have to clean here and ensure their safety through out he night. Prior to this I use to work morning shift where I made appointments and made sure the individual got to them. The hardest part to this job is again feeling underappreciated.
Cons
Heathcare we pay too much into it.
Community Services for the Developmentally Disabled
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Blasdell, NYMay 26, 2016
CSDD is a amazing work environment working with a variety of people with mental and developmental disabilities. I have had to opportunity to work the day medical position with many amazing responsibilities. This includes advocating of the medical behalf of the clients, working with other professionals in the medical sphere and administering medications.
Pros
Flexible hours and great staff.
Cons
No garenteed breaks
Housing Transitional Specialist
Housing Transitional Specialist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 18, 2016
I helped individuals with a disability moved from a residential housing and into their own apartment in the community. I learned that the individuals want what every person strive for, which is to have his or her own apartment for privacy. The co-workers I worked with were amazing, we each learned someone new from each other in regards to the position. The hardest part was when the program ended. The most enjoyable part was when my individual moved into his own apartment.
not much to say
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 5, 2015
This job definitely takes your love for what you do to keep you going. Some days are definitely rougher than others but some days are easier than others
Pros
flexible schedual
Cons
very limited overtime
i love this company
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 11, 2015
I provide care to people in their homes or in the respite center. we do actives. provided care as needed when in the centers. assist with appointments
Pros
feliable
Cons
not enouh hours
Good place to work.
Rehabilitation Aide (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 22, 2014
I really liked this job! It was rewarding. There are chances for advancement..
Pros
Advancments
Cons
Not having weekends off.
good work environment, friendly co-workers
Life Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 2, 2013
working in a group home is like working in one big house.Helped individuals with their activities of daily living, making their medical appointments and making sure they take their medication. My co-workers were friendly and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was dealing controlling the individuals when they had behavioral outbursts. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing you make a difference in the lives of others.
Pros
free meals
Best part of the job is helping others
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 15, 2012
I would pick up disabled individuals that have daily activities that needed to be taken care of. This included shopping, doctor appointments, doing laundry, exercise or even just some companionship. I learned that there are so many people out in the community that need this help and I never would have known without having been employed with this agency. Managers and co-workers were pretty down to earth and easy to get along with. Best part of the job was actually building a relationship with some of the clients, where after I was gone they actually called to see if I was still available to assist them or make a house visit.