Community Services Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

Former Case Manager II for FBMHS in Lancaster
case Manager II (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMarch 19, 2019
Worked for this company for 4+ years in a very stressful position within Family Based Mental Health Services. Major favorites game, all the way up the chain to Director of Children Services. Current Program Director very gets very vindictive if you do not agree with her point of view. Also left due to unethical practices starting to become the norm. Unless you plan on kissing butt like previous review stated and caring more about making money than best therapeutic practice, look elsewhere or at least stay away from FBMHS program in Lancaster. Also, don't worry about getting to know your follow colleagues, the turn around for employees within this program is very fast.
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
everything else
Work here if you like to be frustrated.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Mountville, PAMarch 16, 2019
I really liked working here in the beginning, but over the years, while the company "tried making improvements," they refused to listen to employees, the ones who deal directly with individuals, and ignored logical solutions and suggestions. The company continues to mess themselves up, by changing schedules and rules. There is not enough staff and everyone is overworked and underpaid. And if you're a floater with no scheduled hours, but still work 70+ hours a week, you still don't get paid time off. The only good thing is some of the employees who work with the individuals are great, and they have good medical benefits.
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
everything listed above, plus those who work with severely the handicapped don't get a higher pay rate
Gone down hill
APD (Current Employee) –  PAMarch 11, 2019
Years ago it was a great company. Until they hired these outside consultants to make everything so much better and more efficient. It did the exact opposite. It’s total chaos and has been for years now. So many higher level management left due to this, many more on the way out. What’s left are a bunch of idiots who are so totally out of touch with reality. If it would be so deterimental to the clients and the few good staff left, it may actually be funny. It’s a 3 ring circus.
Pros
Coworkers, immediate supervisors
Cons
Lack of communication. Does not practice their mission statement.
Lack of care for employees.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Selinsgrove, PAFebruary 22, 2019
This place is a joke. Employees get away with so much, it's absured. Changing the time they are scheduled until, no ambition, totally lazy. They have no idea what teamwork consists of. My supervisor puts in so many hours, including overnights almost every night and they have yet to hire anyone. They took an employee from us for a different area when we are already shorthanded. It is the same 2 people picking up hours and it is exhasuting. I wouldn't be surprised if she got sick due to lack of sleep with absolutely no support from the company itself. They then have the nerve to talk about alloted hours and overtime yet, this is something that cannot be avoided in a struggling house. They are all about the clients yet they allow employees to practically kill themselves. How can the clients get the care they deserve when we are exhausted? They cannot. No shift differential for overnight, no incentive, no consistency. If it wasn't for the clients and my supervisor, I would have been gone. The people in the office are completely useless and nobody has anybody's back. I am absolutely disgusted and appalled by the lack of empathy and compassion. Do not work here. We are desperate for help but don't do it to yourself unless you want to be completely overlooked, underpaid and overworked.
Pros
Clients, supervisor
Cons
Everything else
Productive and Pleasant!
Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJanuary 30, 2019
Terrific Organization serving the community. Excellent supervision staff. Tempo Clubhouse members were very pleasant to work with on a daily basis picking them up from the residence to the clubhouse in the morning and returning them home in the afternoon.
Pros
Pleasant atmosphere
Cons
Only if you're desperate for a job.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJanuary 27, 2019
The company claims to be person centered, however the constant changes taking place are to the detriment of the consumers they care for. The opinions of the staff who actually work with the consumers on a daily basis are disregarded. When I first interviewed here, there were several things I did not know until after I was hired. If I had known I would be expected to provide transportation, that I might be asked to work in group homes, that I would not be given lunch breaks, etc, I would not have accepted the job. None of this was mentioned to me in the interview. There is a large turnover and many people do not stay long. Several employees are not happy there and are looking for work elsewhere.
Pros
Hours, Benefits
Cons
No lunch breaks are given, constantly changing environment, staff's views regarding consumers are ignored.
my experience at CSG.
Direct Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAJanuary 9, 2019
For along time i respected CSG. the supervisor at the house i was in .recormended me for the supervisor position when she was going to step down. i was not ready for it quite that time. I promised her i would apply if the nest supervisor did not work out. She did not. We had not supervisor at the house i worked in.SO i became acting supervisor. for a few years I worked under the APD. when it came time for to apply for the position. I was denied. I did the position for no more money. I did it for the ladies who lived in the home.
They would continue to have very good home structure. So i did it.
When it came time for .for my advancement to become the offical supervisor it was denied. I was way more qualified then the person they hired for the position. I did the work without more pay.
Not even the possibility to see how i would do. it was denied. my non selfish work was totally ignored. i had to train the new supervisor. for she did not know. upon carefully considering other options.
i decided my well intentions was much more honored then that.
So i left. For along time i liked CSG. then it got worst. managment very poor. good people who knew what they were doing left.
advancement was not always fair. some well earned employee were not seen as they were qualified. not just my position. others.
Some employees took advantage of CSG. and that was ignored.
Pros
adjustible schedules.
Cons
no breaks, no real advancement for all.
Rewarding, Productive & Diverse
Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 22, 2018
Very much enjoyed working in the Chariots program. I learned a lot and not one day was the same as far as my workload. The job is quick paced, and requires organization. There is ample opportunity for advancement and plenty of supervision and support.
Pros
Company vehicles, alot of PTO, supportive work environment, room for advancement
Cons
Stressful at times
Good company, concern for clients.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Lamcaster paDecember 15, 2018
Good company; however, as is usual for this field, the salary was low. This requires employees to work overtime. This results in stress and burn out. The agency's concern for the clients was top rate.
Pros
Excellent services for clients.
Cons
Low pay.
Very stressful/non equal place to work
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PADecember 6, 2018
I would never recommend anyone to work there even if csg was the last place to work. The management is terrible, the pay is bad for what they ask u to do. The want u to be transportation, a dsp, and a janitor all in one for 12 dollars and hour. They are limited in vans to take clients out so u have to use ur car that the clients are not insured in. The mangers are very condensing, and only about self. Mangers don’t know clients nor staff no matter how long u or clients been there. Their never in ratio nor do the plan anything with the clients to be intergrated in the community. I can say the clients are nice.,but that’s about it. The managers interview u and tell u all this stuff about what they do to help the clients but it’s all a lie. Most clients sit in the rooms and sleep all day. There is favoritism and racism that they try deny. Mangers talk about u to others in the rooms everyone knows you business. It’s just bad
Pros
Cons
Everything about

Want to know more about Community Services Group, Inc.?

Ask a question
Typical Care Taking Job
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 26, 2018
This job comes with the typical stress factors of any care taking position. Most employees feel underpaid and under trained. Job security is nice. Some days are worse/better than other days.
Interesting and challenging
High Risk Therapeutic Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 8, 2018
Worked with children and young people with behavioral issues. Encouraging clients to do the right thing intervening when necessary. Wrote detailed notes regarding progress and reported any extreme circumstances.

I learned how to work with individuals from all walks of life. I also learned how to be patient with others who don't see eye to eye and be stern at the same time.

Management changed frequently so it wasn't incredibly consistent. Management typically supported it's employees however.

The workplace culture change on location. Since work was often times done in the community it was reliant on which community you were in at the time.
Pros
Meeting different team members and seeing change in behavior in clients in a positive way
Cons
Though and extreme clients
I worked there 17 years ago and have no idea how things are now
Community Residential Rehabilitation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAOctober 24, 2018
Honestly do not feel comfortable commenting on what it is like to work there now. There are many different departments and employment options, I worked in, what I think was called, the assisted living program.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Schedule could change when employees called off.
Horrible place to work.
DSP (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAOctober 22, 2018
No work-life balance. I consistently would talk to my manager about the 10+ hours I would work a day being too much for me, but manager would never listen. My coworkers were horrible, everyone was too competitive and quick to throw you under the bus.
The job is okay
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Willow Street, PAOctober 13, 2018
You take care of clients every day needs and wants. Cooking, cleaning, taking clients to activities and appointments. Changing Clients as well as taking them to the bathroom and bathing them.
Pros
All the OT you want to work and healthcare
Cons
Oush you into working a lot more than you want
Don't waste your time, Very Poor Management!!
Case Manager II (Former Employee) –  HarrisburgOctober 10, 2018
The job itself is not bad but a lot to learn. However, if you do not catch on fast enough and kiss butt you better believe management will do what she can to get you to leave. Most training is on computer. You have very little job shadowing. You are expected to just go out and do the job. If you have an on call position and your out all night you better plan on working that morning as well. Was up for 3 days straight with on call and having to go into the office. Wanted just a few hours off to get some sleep and management told me "that is what on call is about". Major favoritism in this workplace with management. If you work here, plan on kissing butt so your not on the wrong end. I would look elsewhere as no one deserves to be treated the way management treats you here, unless you kiss butt then you may be okay. This place is a joke and very unprofessional!!!!!!!! Good luck if you accept a position here.
Pros
flexible, Company Cars
Your introduction to Human Services
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Steelton, PAOctober 1, 2018
Quality people run the operation in Steelton (here I worked) and honestly do the best they can with what they've got. It is a difficult environment and community to work with, but the right attitude helps. They help a lot of people with severe and acute mental illness get back into independent and supported living.
Pros
Relaxed environment, meet interesting people, help others in need
Cons
pay is low and the availability of hours fluctuates greatly for p/t
Adult Program...awful to work at!! Residential was decent!
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PASeptember 25, 2018
The Adult program (New Holland Avenue location) was not at all a good place to work! No team environment whatsoever, and really no training time at all, as they seem to be short staffed continually!!
For anyone thinking about CSG, go for office work, or Residential...stay far away from the Adult program!!!
Pros
Residential in the homes work is decent, pay is fair.
Cons
Adult program is awful to work for..no training, no team, makes a new person feel unwelcome!!!
Heavy work load many open positions low coverage
Residential Group Home Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PASeptember 4, 2018
Low pay for pressure to perform Excellent quality work. overworked employees and management that do not care about their workers. I work many different shifts due to staff shortages.
support directive
Direct Support Provider (Former Employee) –  Mountville, PAAugust 21, 2018
Helped the clients with what they needed. Take clients to work and out to different restaurant to become a member of society. Also distributed their medication to them in the mornng

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Community Services Group, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight