Compass Group Employee Reviews

Found 1,912 reviews matching the search See all 3,738 reviews
I only worked for them at 1 location so the poor work environment could have been isolated but doubtful
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  TexasJanuary 12, 2019
If you are a true Chef; meaning you like to be a part of the creative process, have integrity, enjoy fostering young culinarians..... Forget it! They will cut you off.
Over baring cut throat wannabe "Directors" spouting off that they "used to be chefs" will cut you off and belittle you every chance they get. This company creates an "all about me" environment that is toxic.
I did not chose to work for them, they bought out the self-op where I was employed.
I have over 30yrs of experience in the industry and left this company due to the horrid culture they foster. Absolutely the worst place I have worked in my career.

It is sad to see them taking over so many areas of the foodservice industry.

If you chose to venture out and give them a try, I wish you well but check your mind and morals at the door, they dont want to hear about it.
Pros
Competative salary ( but it's not worth it) Good Salried Benefits
Cons
Self Centered Managment, Large Turn Over
District Manager is old school. . Too far behind the times and lacks ability to manage fairly, does not know how to use MS Office.
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  MichiganNovember 12, 2018
Poor leadership and communication, click of employees band together and work against all other emoloyees. DGM plays favorites. Employees lie, cheat and steal from the company. Warehouse workers are treated very unfairly and have the lowest pay. There is no accountability for anyone.
Pros
Great finance manager for a supervisor, benifits
Cons
Ego maniac for a district manager, DGM lacks leadership, Management break policy and steal from the company, Longterm office person has a nasty disposition, She is rude and insubordinate, SHE IS TERRIBLY obnoxious and lies to get others fired.
Could be a great place to work if politics weren't so embedded in upper management
Chef/Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 24, 2019
Typical work day for my position began at 6am and ended around 4 or 5pm. Poor management. When I approached a manager about needing additional support because I was working 15-17 hours per day, I was told that neither he or any other manager was going to do my job. That was after 6.5 years, no write ups, never used all vacation days, always on budget, never a bad client review. A little appreciation goes a long way.
Pros
Great benefits, great relationships built
Cons
Long hours, Poor work-home balance with the exception of being off on weekends.
Were it not for a minimum wage, we'd be called slaves.
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIJanuary 24, 2019
Management couldn't care less about staff or their concerns. If you raise an issue or potential problem, YOU are the problem. My particular boss reminded those of us not on her favorites list daily of her position as a means to intimidate. If you were on the favorites list, you could do no wrong. Staff member was terminated for BEING assaulted by another of management's favorites. Worked there 2 years, received one .25 cent raise and never had a performance review.
Pros
Hours fairly easy to schedule second job around.
Cons
Inept, untrained mgmt., blatant favoritism
managment sucks
Cash controller (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNNovember 20, 2018
overall a good job, good hours, no weekends.
Pay could be better. Really good employees / coworkers, management SUCKS!!!!! they do not appreciate their employees, no incentive for doing a good job, no support, no communication. Some managers rather spend time gossiping or doing something else rather than helping you. Cant never get a hold of certain managers. Rude to employees, don't care about them. Do not appreciate or take in account everything you do for the company or the type of employee that you are.
Director could pay a better attention to what's happening around him and what the managers are doing, their performance overall and what the employees think of them.
benefits sucks for non union employees, you do not start earning PTO until after your first year. No monthly or yearly reviews.
Pros
no weekend, done early.
Cons
managment, no proper training.
Seth Turner
Housekeeper ( Full - Time ) (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 28, 2019
I Really Like It Here I Am The Only One Hustlin And Bustlin On My Compass Site. They Pay Good Benefits. I Think I Am Paid Actually Very Fairly For Work. I Would Recommend This Job For People With Disabilities. Great Management Best Company Ever To Work For. People Never Ever Mess With You While Working That's Really Good. There Have Been Other Companies That I Have Worked For That Have Not Been That Good But When It Comes To Compass Group It Is A Company That You Can Trust.
Pros
Really Nice Manager, Really Nice Co - Workers, Fun Place To Work, Dream Job, Quite And Peaceful When Working In The Morning At My Site, Can Take Pride In My Job
Cons
Other Employees Just Quit This Postion
Line cooks that want to move up need not apply
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 10, 2018
You've probably heard this corporate catch-22 before: the better you are in your role, the less likely you are to move up. That's exactly what it's like at Compass, at least in its kitchens with the Eurest division. I've been trying to move up for years, receiving awards and accolades along the way, only to be passed over for promotion after promotion in favor of individuals that are at best not more talented than myself. Again, this is just the experience of a line cook that has seen countless others passed over as well. They do not develop their entry level talent at all. I would strongly advice any cook applying to Compass to apply to at least a sous chef level position so you can at least have a fighting chance at a serious career with the company. Otherwise just work there for the benefits and good air conditioning.
Pros
Healthcare, comfortable working conditions
Cons
Lack of career opportunities for entry level cooks
Very poor management, needs to be held accountable.
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 17, 2018
I worked for Compass Group for 8 years. It was great when you first start working for them and saying “yes” to everything they are asking of you. They started making us working on our weekends off, doing openings and if we told them “no,” then we had to find a salaried replacement to go.
Pay is competitive based on experience, but expect a ton if corporate paperwork, and very little bonus potential. Budgets are unachievable.
Upper Management has little to no training, and is last minute on all assignments/deadlines. A very stressful environment. Management asks to manipulate numbers, and then we are held accountable for the changes.
A very cut throat, dishonest, every man for themselves environment.
Pros
Competitive pay, good benefits
Cons
Working on weekends off
Horrible work environment
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXOctober 22, 2018
After 3 years of constant favoritism hostile work environment and managers with seemingly no experience in personnel relations and employee development I vacated my position a custodian. With all the chaos one could imagine when the blind leads the blind I suffered through the rotation of 6 supervisors and assistants in a 4 month span without being considered for either position nor were the openings ever opened to current employees. There are probably 100 positions available but because SSC lacks integrity they'll only post 30 to avoid embarrassment demonstrating their inability to undertake a task as great as they have with Texas A&M. You may get a 1% raise but the parking goes up $2-4. And you have to walk a mile to the building you work in and you can not park in the parking lot where you have paid for whenever there are football games.
Cons
The whole work experience
Do not work here.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJanuary 12, 2019
The time I worked at the account in Jonesboro, it was terrible. Many questionable actions were made by upper management in the Nutrition/Dietary Department. Discrimination, lack of respect, slander are some of the minor issues there. It is amazing the hospital allows this to carry on. No way to get evaluated to get raises, or opportunities for advancement. Invest your hard work elsewhere for your own good.
Pros
Food(if edible), break times and meeting new people
Cons
No action from management, the environment, negative attitudes
Don't work here
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Canyon, TXSeptember 24, 2018
I originally worked here when the college was our employer. We were outsourced to Compass and that's when it all went down hill. We were expected to do more, and better work with cheaper and less supplies. There was one point where management thought it was a good idea to get rid of trash bags, so you can tell they were not the brightest employers ever. It doesn't matter if you are the best employee they have or the worst your yearly evaluation is always average, and your raise is at most an extra 5 cents, if they actually decide to give you one. There were a few people who advanced, but they were close friends to our manager. I wouldn't have called them a friend because the supervisor positions came with no pay increase, and if anyone called in they were in charge of covering their stuff, even if multiple people called in. The whole place was stressful and they were quick to lecture you and slow to reward anyone.
Pros
Cons
bad management, stressfull work environment, low pay
Overworked and underpaid
RD (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 16, 2019
Unless you are a part of upper management, you are not respected or treated fairly; dietitians, especially, are not respected as clinicians and are often overworked with poor pay/benefits. There is no room for growth or advancement unless you are either male or white. Workplace burnout is evident as you are working for a company that micromanages and does not honor work/life balance.
Cons
politics, upper management, pay, benefits
Providing daily required meals from School District menu for Elementary Levels K-5th grade
Head Cashier/Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  Redford, MISeptember 30, 2018
The job as a Head Cook/Cashier demanded excellent time management skills to be able to provide meals at daily set scheduled times. This also included being able to input and record the necessary data and cash for each meal time.

The hardest part of this position was correctly estimating amounts/servings to prepare based on not only the menu choices, but an ever changing count of each day, along with having to possibly limit servings for each individual student.

Overall, very satisfying to complete each day providing a service to the school and overall children and families of the community.
Pros
Learning within the food industry, challenging position, working with children
Cons
Limited breaks, lack of benefits, hours/work required for pay received
bad manager
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Sweeny, TXJanuary 11, 2019
My supervisor is a down to earth person the management sucks i work with a lot of whites and hispanics im not into racism sincemy family is all different races but i couldnt help but notice how every time i around they were always getting overtime never asking anyone else that was AA, praise for baciscally doing nothing and mind you AA people get written up for actually doijng our job
Cons
short breaks, favoritism and discrimination towards blacks
Corporate over priced small portions of food served by underpaid under appreciated employees
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 14, 2019
Horrible top tier management left a store to drown at opening and first 3 months after. Came in made a bunch of promises, cut peoples pay, then never came back. They are extremely portion controlled and use sub par grade foods yet hike the price up for substantial profits never caring about their customer base, nor employees.
Pros
Benefits and they furnished a new kitchen
Cons
Pay, management, pricing, products, everything.
Really BAD company to work for. They are about money only, don't listen to the lies.
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXAugust 28, 2018
I worked for SSC in 2015 and 2016. It was possibly the worst decision I ever made taking this job. The benefits suck, and it takes half your paycheck to pay for them, management are slave drivers that are never satisfied with anything, there is no room for advancement, and when you have a complaint you are never to say anything. I still have yet to be paid for sick days from when I was in the hospital (it's almost September of 2018)and will never see it because Compass Group cares nothing for lowly employees​. There's a reason why they're ALWAYS hiring, keep that in mind.
Pros
Cons
Everything about this company
28-39% Pay BELOW the National average Here at Compass
Sous Chef/Manager (Current Employee) –  Westminster, COSeptember 12, 2018
What hours are great. Holiday's off for family fantastic. Extreme low pay, just wrong. Management not trained properly. No management skills all of us have been moved up and in the company 5-12+ years. I never got formal training. It's like just manage your people and keep in budget. Charge customers a lot and use cheaper products when needed to reduce margins. Our the years especially the last yr or so, we have lost a lot of our staff due to low pay. They don't want to pay us, but most of us stay here because we have families and need the weekends and afternoons to take care of our kids and families.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Compensation
Do not work here
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Spring, TXAugust 23, 2018
If I could give it zero stars I would.
When you have your interview they reel you in with all these lies that there’s a lot of opportunities of advancement within the company that everything is so organized and everyone is so friendly, once you start everything comes crashing down. If you have any sense of love for your self don’t even bother to apply. I’ve been working here for 3 years and I’m still stuck with the same tittle. There’s absolutely no advancement, the pay is horrible. As more people are being hired they start out with more money then you, and when you bring raises up to your managers they almost want to fire you. All the managers are two faced and you can’t even go to HR because they’re all just working for the managers, if you have a problem you actually have to call corporate HR. I highly recommend to look for something else.
The only good thing is that you have paid vacation and good benefits.
Pros
Good benefits and paid vacation
Cons
Understaffed, management, unorganized, not paid enough for all the work that they make you do
Worst place I've ever worked
Catering/Cafe Associate (Current Employee) –  Shell WoodcreekAugust 27, 2018
First off, the management is a joke. They work you way more than what they pay you for. They treat you like a dog and have little to no professionalism. I honestly don't know how my manager got into her position and the general manager reminds me of trump. The money sucks. They cut your hours without telling you and for no reason. Good luck getting 40 hours here. I am a full-time worker and barely have enough money to pay my bills and I rarely go out or by anything nice for myself. They turn all their problems back on you when you try to confront them about an issue. Take your catering skills elsewhere!!
Pros
Free lunch, health, dental, vision benefits
Cons
everything else besides the pros I listed
Great Starting Place
IT Lead/IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 18, 2018
This company was great for growth. Though the pay didn't necessarily reflect the industry medians, they allowed those with little experience to push their skills where they needed to be while being accompanied by people who were great at what they did.
Pros
Ever-changing environment, good benefits, lax management
Cons
slow to promote, small raises, pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Compass Group. Our community is ready to answer.

41K

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight