Compass Minerals Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Bad place to work
Bagger (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTMay 4, 2018
Good pay. Management could care less about you. Long hours and get called in all the time. The will deny your vacation the day before if they want to. Will not hire more people to fill people that left. They drive production over safety and quality.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
a good place for average income
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTApril 19, 2018
The place is near the Great Salt Lake, the working environment is n the wild field except in the lab, Lab work is routine but need to race the timeline, after that it is quite flexible. The company is emphasize on safety which is great. The lab is industrial standard and well organized but some equipments are pretty old. Colleagues are nice and easy to work with.
Pros
routine lab work is light and easy
Cons
lack job advancement
Daily
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 28, 2018
My typical day is very busy. I ave plenty to do on a daily basis. sometimes I have no interest in taking a lunch so that my day can be productive in getting prepared for the next day.
Good pay, but that's it.
Processor (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTFebruary 17, 2018
Management treats you poorly, it's a lot of physical labor, and long work days, but they make up for it with very high pay, good benefits and profit sharing.
Pros
pay
Cons
management
nice place to work
Reliability Technician (Former Employee) –  Blanche, LAFebruary 13, 2018
if management would be able to enforce any rules on employees it would have been a much better place to work. The rules didn't apply to everyone. Management was good.
Pros
food
Cons
ferry schedule. favoritism
Questionable
Manager (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 12, 2018
Say the right things but they don't do the right things. Sales isn't held accountable, a lot of senior management without industry knowledge, ideas aren't well received, and middle management has conflicts of interest by rewarding friends business instead of the bid process.
Helping Others
Quality Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  Blanche, LADecember 28, 2017
I would go in early in the mornings around 6:00 AM and I had great start of the day of meeting with my supervisor and talking about the upcoming jobs and I would often assist the safety department when I had lack off work so I can learned other jobs and more about mining.
Ok Place to Work
Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 20, 2017
It's an ok place to work, but there is a glass ceiling. When you see it you won't/can't advance. The turn over is very high at this company, as most people see this and leave.
Great people, good supervisor, terrible manager
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UT salt plantOctober 30, 2017
Learned so much here. If it wasn't for terrible managers I would never look outside. My direct supervisors have always been great but always leave because they can't handle the management either. Change the management to keep better employees
Pros
Pay, skill advancement
Cons
Managers, understaffed
Lousy place to work
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTOctober 27, 2017
Supervisor didn't finish high school. Always trying to be one of the boys. No accountability for anybody. No teamwork. Favorite people get to do what they feel like doing.
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
Supervisors
Changing in Compass - Culture and Systems Improving
Sales Analyst, National Accounts (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 16, 2017
Good company trying to change its culture and keep up with the pace of supply chain. Not doing well with new systems integration but they have the right upper management in place to get the job done.
Pros
Lunch off
Cons
10 days PTO. Old school culture. Not many females (<15%) in manager level roles or above.
Interesting company with wonderful assets
Business Director, North American Salt Company (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 16, 2017
Multiple CEO's over the course of my career at CMP each with a different vision of the company requiring the employees to completely change direction.
good place to work
Rail Crew (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTAugust 16, 2017
learned about railroad logistics. The people were good to work with, A long drive with no place to go quick to get some food, but they aranged to have trucks come out.
Pros
good pay
Cons
12 hour rotating shifts
good place to meet new people and start new friendships
Utility hand (Current Employee) –  Franklin, LAAugust 1, 2017
blast salt and loaders would dump in trucks and take to a crusher drillers would drill holes to get ready for blast I learn a lot about heavy machines I really didn't now how to operate anything big the management is not that great it can be better workplace was good everyone got along great the hardest part just being underground anything could happen
Pros
good money
Cons
bad management
Great place to make allot of money
ELECTRICIAN (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTJuly 30, 2017
I learned more at the 2 years I've worked here about troubleshooting and electrical technology than anywhere I've worked. Extremely dirty and understaffed
Pros
Pay, experience
Cons
Short staffed, micro managed
Proceed with caution at Compass
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 26, 2017
Solid business in a stable industry. However, upper management has absolutely zero interest in employee satisfaction or feedback. Several recent changes have lead to staff reduction, work environment restructuring and extreme cost cutting measures. Pay is decent, workload is above average, upper management positions are filled outside the company.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
High workload volume, no concern for employee feedback, low morale
Productive and great place to work
Senior Staff Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTJuly 18, 2017
Interesting and challenging. One needs to be focused on issues to deal with, plan and schedule ahead as needed. A lot of reactivity as new challenges spring up surprises daily which are likely to swing one off their target for the day.
Pros
Great place for improvement
Cons
Always need for improvement
Insurance and workplace culture
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Blanche, LAJuly 9, 2017
Benefits are high. The culture of this place is to protect your own and leave everyone else hanging out to dry. Safety is always pushed on paper but rarely followed by management.
Great job
Maintenance Planner (Former Employee) –  Blanche, LAJune 17, 2017
A good place to learn and also teach what you have brought to the job. Good management that looks out for the best way to make the company the most competitive.
Very unfriendly place to work
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 22, 2017
Hands down the worst place I've ever worked. Manager is a complete jerk. If you have a opinion or speak up you get punished or fired. I have never been treated so poorly
Pros
Cons
Manager was was worst ive ever had