Play YouTube video button

Compel Fitness Employee Reviews

Featured review
Compel Fitness selected this as a representative review
Compel is Awesome
Training Director (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDNovember 2, 2018
I love my job at Compel. I get to make a difference in different people's lives everyday. The environment and culture throughout the club and company are amazing. They have given me the tools and avenues for me to succeed at my position and are paving the way for opportunities for advancement. I get to do what I love everyday. If you are willing to put in the work to get things done you will thrive at this job.
Pros
Culture, Education, Money
Cons
Days can be long sometimes
Be Prepared
DIRECTOR OF PERSONAL TRAINING (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMay 2, 2019
This job is great if you do not have a big life outside of work. I was working from 9 to 1 and again from 4 to 8. The swing shift was tough to deal with, basically feeling like I couldn’t be too far from work. I was working Monday through friday and every other Saturday from 9 to 1.
The job is great if you are great at sales. You make 11 dollars an hour (I was told I would earn 45,000 a year, not including commission and benefits and benefits. It might have been a misunderstanding but I did ask multiple times before taking the job.) plus the commissions you earn from a sale. The sales game is very competitive and very stressful. If you don’t earn 10,000 in sales after your probationary period, you will receive a warning and then you will be let go if it happens again. It was an incredibly stressful time, even though the team and my superiors did try helping me to improve my sales pitch.
The job is great if you want to make cash helping people. I found myself desirous to help those who came in for workouts and questions about their goals. I will say that a lot of times I felt I was forcing a plan down a persons throat and a lot of times I chickened out and told people this was a sales pitch, because I didn’t feel comfortable telling a college student with a waitress salary that she needed to pay hundreds of dollars a month to workout for 30 minutes with a trainer. But when I was meeting with these people, it felt great answering their questions and giving them a workout specific to their goals!
The job is great when working with the people you work with. When I started, my
  more... superiors put in a bunch of time to help me memorize my lines for the sales pitch. They helped me know what I needed to fix so I could convince the customer to pay for personal training. There were weekly conference calls in which we talked about our numbers and worked on the script to improve. It was intimidating at first but became easier over time. The team of directors were great, as were my superiors and the trainers I worked with!  less
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Not very straight forward regarding pay and benefits, tough environment
Great Opportunity For A Career In The Fitness Industry
Fitness Trainer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 28, 2019
My story with Compel Fitness begins as a client. I was a regular at a local Golds Gym and had been noticing the team training classes that were taking place. It looked like fun and seemed like something that would challenge me physically. After an initial free trial session I decided to join. After participating in several team sessions I had become well aquainted with the staff at the location where I was training. During a conversation with the Head Trainer he spoke of the need for highly motivated, qualified individuals to coach team and private sessions. During that same conversation I was asked if I had an interest in working for Compel as a coach. I said" absolutely". Right away I knew this would be something I'd love to be a part of and couldn't wait to get started.

Fast forward to now.

The work itself is incredibly rewarding. It really is everything I had hoped it would be. It's a true feeling of satisfaction I get from helping others meet and exceed their goals. I enjoy the relationships I have with each of my clients and look forward to seeing them show up for our sessions. I measure success in the smiles I keep seeing and there are more and more everyday.

As far as having first been a client I really think it's super helpful in my work as a trainer. Nice to see and understand things from either side of the business. All in all I am extremely satisfied with the work itself and those I work with, both the clients and my teammates at Compel.
Not worth it!!!
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  York, PAJanuary 15, 2019
This job sucks! I am being honest i worked there with my brother and we worked like dogs only getting pennies. I do not recommend this job to someone who wants to earn a living.
Pros
Get to workout
Cons
Management sucks
Fun and Rewarding Environment
Head Trainer (Current Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDJanuary 5, 2019
Yes, it is busy most of the time, but that is the point of working during the peak hours of the gym. We are there to help people reach their goals. It is a team effort in every aspect. You build with your co-workers and you bond with the fans. Every day is different and you constantly get to hear about everyone's goals, struggles, and story. Sure the day can be long, but being able to see the excitement and happiness exude from a client when they make progress or accomplish a goal, cannot be bought. That is why I come to work each and everyday. You get to just be yourself, joke/laugh with the clients, and change someone's life.
Pros
work at the gym, client success, team is family, fun work environment
Cons
can have long days
Could Business Mode
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  AnonymousDecember 6, 2018
Compel has a great model for business. Unfortunately it’s only to “get” signed up that are new to the gym, and don’t know otherwise. Soft “threats” from management are very common. “If you don’t do it, we will find someone who will” and “get this done, we really hope you’re that person” often making you question their intentions. This would be said immediately after your monthly numbers where given. One moderate month, and you’re getting these soft threats.

Statistically, we all know gyms are empty during certain times of the year. You are expected to have the same numbers consistently through the slow season. Obviously you don’t want an excuse, but there should be some sort of compromise.

As far as actually “training”, they will hire any trainer off the street. You can get your PT cert even after your interview. They provide no value to clients at all. It puts a bad taste in clients mouths, and that’s negative for actual educated trainers.

Would recommend to learn a solid business structure. Do not plan on being there too long, it’s not a long term position.
Pros
Great support from other directors, Great weekly calls for sales training. It really helps improve objection skills.
Cons
No benefits, Expactations during the “slow” season. Co-Owner is selfish, walks with a big stick, but nothing to show for it
Incredible culture and positive/energetic atmosphere
Senior Training Director (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VANovember 5, 2018
The culture that Compel Fitness believes in and lives by exceeds my expectation of what a company should be build upon.
This is a company that truly cares for the growth of its' employees, both professionally and personally. They WANT to see you succeed!
They create a fun and energetic environment, never a dull moment.
Fun and Progressive work place
Head Trainer (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDNovember 2, 2018
I wake up everyday looking forward to coming to work. Not for the money but for the chance to grow. Not only do I get to meet & interact with new people every, but I get to be a part of changing lives by simply doing what I love to do. Although Compels focus is Fitness they will prepare you to become a top profession in ANY field you choose. Since working here I've come to learn and own the fact that I am in control of where I am and where I want to go as an fitness professional. I would Recommend this company to anyone who is looking to be challenge, encouraged, and educated everyday to better them selves and leave their mark on countless others.
Poor senior management
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 4, 2018
Unreachable goals in very tough demos. Leadership out of touch with the field. Employee retention is terrible due to poor culture, management, and compensation.
Best Job I Have Ever Had
Senior Training Director (Current Employee) –  Hanover, PAMay 10, 2018
Compel Fitness is hands down the most rewarding job I have every had. Not only do you get to spend the day hanging out in the gym all day meeting new people, but the compensation is endless. You are capable of making 80K-100K+ a year if you stay motivated. The management is always encouraging and will do anything to help you reach your full potential.
Pros
Flexability, fast paced, rewarding, the team culture, encouraging, team building
Love this company!
Personal Training Director (Current Employee) –  Manchester, PAMay 9, 2018
I have been working for Compel for a few weeks as a Training Director. They are efficient in their training process and I have been coached and encouraged to do my best!
Amazing work enviorment, top notch training, set up for success
Director of Personal Training (Current Employee) –  York, PAMay 9, 2018
Come to work, call new gym members, set appts. for personal training and offer personal training programs to existing gym members. Professional sales training and personal development. Enjoy the journey of our clients as they reach their fitness goals.
The worst company ever
Training Director (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDDecember 19, 2017
If you like having your superiors degrade you and public scrutiny then you will thrive in this environment. If you are not killing yourself to make money for the company then you are sub-human and will be treated as such. If I had to chose from working there again and starvation, I would chose starvation!
Fun
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDNovember 28, 2017
If you love being in the gym all day long and love helping other meet their personal health and fitness goals, this is for you! i had tons of fun with my time at compel.
Pros
fun, energetic
Cons
long days with 4 hour break in the middle of the day
Enjoyable, fun, team oriented
Training director (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 27, 2017
Compel is a great company to work for. There’s a great training regimen place they teach you exactly how to do the job and a step by step way to be successful at it. Huge room for growth with the company too. It’s extremely team oriented everyone is always helping and willing to help each other out unlike other similar companies I’ve worked for. After reading some of these reviews it seems like the people writing negative reviews weren’t goal oriented, driven or motivated
Pros
Atmosphere
Sell sell sell
Training Director (Current Employee) –  Dundalk, MDAugust 30, 2017
Compel is a cut throat sales company, nothing really matters but making sales. The training is sub par and customer service isn't always the best. Training is affordable though.
Pros
Pay checks can be pretty hefty
Cons
Have to be good at sales to be successful
Rewarding Place to Work
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAAugust 22, 2017
I had a lot of fun working here as a personal trainer. I was able to learn alternative techniques by watching the other trainers. It was rewarding to track client progress.
If you want to be stressed out work for Compel
Training Director (Former Employee) –  Marley stationAugust 1, 2017
I was a training director with Compel for about 6 weeks before being fired. When they say you have 2 payroll periods they mean it. I was penalized for working 3 days and not generating $10000. I thought I was in training and was not allowed on the sales floor at all. I sat and watched training videos and tried to memorize a 3 page script verbatim. Then there was a series of write ups over innocent mistakes. I was written up for being 15 mins late during week number 2 but than I was written up the next week for not memorizing the script in a timely fashion. Keep in mind the manager was on vacation and the person left to train me was only there for 3 months himself but because he was selling I guess they felt this person was qualified to train new staff. In a nut shell they already had a buddy system in place that I was not apart of. They made sure they made their goals buy splitting sales with each other even when the other person was not there. I was not allowed access to new members and was told to only call old members from months prior and walk the floor to get appointments. This would have been fine if I wasn't July and during the day there may have been 15 people in the gym and they all had had orientations before or were not interested. There is no job security and the turn over rate is ridiculously high. They promise you will make a lot of money but they don't explain in detail what that comes with.
Pros
Earning potential
Cons
Long hours, not so great management
Great environment, great management; the company has genuine interest in changing lives
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 14, 2017
As soon as I began training I instantly experienced the positive and encouraging environment that this company has established. You can tell that both the trainers and training directors have genuine interests in helping individuals develop a healthier and happier lifestyle.

As a trainer, you and only you are responsible for a client's exercise plan, which gives you full freedom to train each client however you choose. Because of this I am constantly learning different workout styles and both sharing and gaining knowledge with the other trainers. You are also able to create your own schedule, so you have complete flexibility of when you want to work.

The only negative is that you don't receive benefits such as healthcare, retirement, etc, however many or most training jobs do not offer these either.
Pros
Schedule flexibility, management, positive and encouraging environment
Cons
Doesnt have full benefits
Worst place I've ever worked
Fitness Director (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, MDMay 2, 2017
Work here if you don't plan on having a life outside of work...
I absolutely hated working here and I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.
I was extremely stressed out the entire time that worked here.
You have to sell personal training packages and assign the clients to trainers that you don't even know.
Cons
long hours, no benefits
Great enviroment, fun and challenging with plenty of room to grow!
Senior Training Director (Current Employee) –  Manchester, PAApril 4, 2017
The financial reward can be awesome! It's production based so you control your paycheck. The management always provides ample support and training.

It's a great enviroment to learn and grow. The job is rewarding and challenging. It's a fun, helpful, and fast paced enviroment! The bonus and commission structure is very attractive as well
Pros
Potential to earn large commission and bonuses, Ample training and support, Flexiable mangement
Cons
There is a hearty amount of hours required for the position, There is only 1 day off (Sunday) per week

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Compel Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.