Computer Systems Institute Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
not a good school for instructors or students
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILAugust 15, 2018
mgt was bad. no benefits. students had weapons in the classroom.the dean was a total monster. I would never send a family member there to study or a friend to work there
Pros
it was a job
Cons
everything
Productive work place with professional teachers and proper equipment to teach students skills
Medical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJuly 23, 2018
My typical day at work was preparing the students to take Certified Medical Assistant, Registered Medical Assistant and Phlebotomy exam. While I was there I learned that you can not trust every one that smile in your face because while they smiling in your face saying good things about you all the same time they trying to find a plot to get rid of you. I learn that Computer System Institute and are users.
I manage to teach my students phlebotomy, EKG, Anatomy, Billing and Coding. i also prep them for their certification test.
Everyone at Computer System was not nice. Environment was nice. The hardest part of the job is preparing the students for certification.
I really enjoyed the hands on that the students had. enjoyed the smile and excitement they get on their face when they pass they certification and get their licence. it makes me fill good to know that I help some pass their certification and get a licence to work in the medical field so that they can make a living for their family.
that filling feels great.
Pros
long breaks, great pay
Cons
over work healthcare team
CSI's Vision with blurred lines
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 15, 2018
To start with the good, it's a good place to start if you have never gained any professional experience before. You can learn a lot here.
My fellow staff members are what keep me going throughout the day and students can be enjoyable to speak with so many people around the world. Also, you will have independence to do your job.

But, that's assuming you will survive long enough...

MA staff is not treated the same as IL staff. We are almost invisible in their eyes even though we operate the largest campus here. Expect to be a worker bee with no voice because if you complain, then HR will punish you since management won't take accountability.

There's practically no benefits, the compensation is extremely low (30K) and a second job is recommended. There is also no significant appreciation from management, not even holiday parties at the office (unless you're in IL).

I'm really confused with how CSI is looking toward the future because it seems like a slow decline for them at this point.
Pros
Cons
Senior Management, Hr, Compensation
Nice people
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 25, 2018
its a great place to work but the salary could be more competitive the people are diverse but very nice the work culture is great my experience was great the students can be challenging but nothing you cant deal with staff was pleasant the location is easy and accessible there is a shuttle to and from public transportation if the salary was more competitive I would still be working there today
Pros
great location with shuttles to and from public transportation
Cons
salary was not as high as the going market salaries
fair and balanced adjunct position
Part-time Adjunct ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 22, 2018
workplace culture is positive. the most enjoyable part of the job is becoming acquainted with people from diverse backgrounds. The pay per hour is above standard.
Nice place to work
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2018
Great place to work. Staff was great to work with and full of energy. Everyone was very willing to help if you had questions. Management was never on top of you.
Not this company
Career Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2018
I enjoyed my time at this company due to this students. However, this school was a scam and forced us to lie about placing students in their career to continue to be funded by FASFA. There was no room for growth and Mo training.
Adjunct Instructor
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 27, 2017
This school was going through obtaining their credentials for an educational facility. I did enjoy teaching and must say no one who left my classes with any grade under a B.
Pros
Teaching
Cons
Temporary
Coding and Billing Instructor
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILNovember 6, 2017
This was a great instructor position, until they went out of business and all the employees lost their jobs and students were not lacking their certifications.
Pros
Great for career change
Cons
went out of business
Teaching adults to receive acreditation in Adobe products
Adjunct Graphic Design Instructor (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILNovember 1, 2017
It was wonderful working there. I was able to use all my experience as an instructor to help working adults come up to speed in Adobe products. They were always engage and willing to learn.
Pros
Able to use my extensive experience as an instructor
Cons
Not enough hours
Great people to work with not so great pay/hours and no benefits
Certified Technical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILOctober 27, 2017
Worked there for over five years and had not benefits or holiday pay or vacation/sick time. Had to request time and time again for reviews and raises. Took a very long time to get competitive salary.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
No benefits and cut hours
More drama than a Khardashian season
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MAOctober 23, 2017
I am not one for drama and although every office has its drama, this place is too full of it.
This is a culture of drama and backstabbing here.
The management is not good at all and human resources department is really lacking in morals.
This is like working in a playpen filled with toddlers and egg shells and you best not step on an eggshell.
As much as I enjoy some of my colleagues and the students I work with.
It's just become a very hostile working environment and it's no good for me at this time.
Pros
None that I can think of
Cons
Management, Human Resources, Drama, Backstabbing, Hostile Environment
Worked for school funds
Student Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILSeptember 13, 2017
There was not much to do as a student but the people were great. There were things I learned with office management which was interesting and helped me with jobs after finishing time with CSI.
Treated like slave
Financial Aid Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILAugust 23, 2017
Acted like I was a child and treated me as such. Kept me in a back office for hours at a time and all they had me do was make new student packets, and they lied about everything.
Pros
good pay
Cons
treated bad
Conputer Systems Ins
Senior Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2017
This was a contract position for 8 months. Instruction in N+ A+ Networking, intro to project management. All my students passed all certifications with highest marks school had posted in passed.
Pros
Training and offering problem soloving.
Great management team
STUDENT ACCOUNTS REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJune 12, 2017
Working with students, management was always willing to help assist if needed, very supportive, and always willing to help you grow. Everyone worked as a team, working for one goal, the benefit of the student. No matter what department you worked in everyone came together as a school as it should be. Nothing was above anyone, and everyone was always willing to assist to ensure our students were taken care of properly.
Pros
1 hour lunch, support
Cons
work a holic company
Great colleagues, fairly well organized
employee (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILMay 29, 2017
This is a visa-granting school for international students. This isn't necessarily a terrible thing, and the teachers and staff do offer good service. Students run the gamut from motivated ones with a reason to learn, to those who are barely there at all. There's been turmoil lately; their accreditor lost its standing with the US Dept of Education, and so due to immigration law CSI can no longer offer visas for students in ESL courses. As a result, they have switched all their students over to business curricula, which can offer visas without an accreditation requirement.
Pros
Dedicated staff and colleagues
Cons
Low compensation
CSI: ESL for profit
ESL instructor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 4, 2017
CSI makes it easy to teach an 8 hour class. The assignments and lessons have been previously selected for you. They do pay you for prep time, but the prep time could be use to review the materials that you will be teaching or to grade work students have previously submitted. If you are consistent and reliable you will most likely be praised for your job. But as an instructor there isn't much opportunity for full time work or benefits. I think the students are great and the other workers are very friendly and willing to help.
Pros
Lessons are already prepared
Cons
no full time opportunity
Management and Policy is always in flux
Adjunct ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MAApril 1, 2017
I do love my students, but working with the management has been always a challenge. The school is run from Chicago, so there tends to be a lot of communication and technical problems. This creates a very stressful situation, so the staff is always in flux.
A veteran teacher told me this was the most chaotic school he has ever taught at. I thought it was me.
Like I said, I 'll do anything to help my students. They have enough to worry about without confusion, delay, and policy reversals from the school. It really is a disservice to them. The teachers I know go above and beyond to help their students, despite the flaws of management.
Multicultural enviroment
International Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 16, 2016
The school provides great programs for international students. Everyday I was meeting new people from all over the world. I met wonderful human beings and was able to see their progress. Most of my co-workers were also amazing. The most difficult part of my job was to deal with disappointed students. The most rewarding part was helping students to achieve their goals.
Pros
free Tuesday soup, my own office, co-workers
Cons
ending job at 6 or 7 pm, salary