Computer Systems Institute Employee Reviews in Chicago, IL

Great Place To Work!
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 13, 2019
Great place to work! The students are the best and management allows and encourages creativity in the classroom. The downfall was the pay. There was a flat rate but you could pick up extra hours sometimes.
Pros
Able to be creative in Education
Cons
Pay
Nice place to work
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2018
Great place to work. Staff was great to work with and full of energy. Everyone was very willing to help if you had questions. Management was never on top of you.
Not this company
Career Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2018
I enjoyed my time at this company due to this students. However, this school was a scam and forced us to lie about placing students in their career to continue to be funded by FASFA. There was no room for growth and Mo training.
Adjunct Instructor
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 27, 2017
This school was going through obtaining their credentials for an educational facility. I did enjoy teaching and must say no one who left my classes with any grade under a B.
Pros
Teaching
Cons
Temporary
Conputer Systems Ins
Senior Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2017
This was a contract position for 8 months. Instruction in N+ A+ Networking, intro to project management. All my students passed all certifications with highest marks school had posted in passed.
Pros
Training and offering problem soloving.
Multicultural enviroment
International Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 16, 2016
The school provides great programs for international students. Everyday I was meeting new people from all over the world. I met wonderful human beings and was able to see their progress. Most of my co-workers were also amazing. The most difficult part of my job was to deal with disappointed students. The most rewarding part was helping students to achieve their goals.
Pros
free Tuesday soup, my own office, co-workers
Cons
ending job at 6 or 7 pm, salary
Very enjoyable atmosphere alongside co-workers
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 16, 2016
I enjoy what I do with my everyday students. I enjoy teaching others how to become proper and professional Medical Assistants. When taking my students to the clinical lab, it is like a breath of fresh air. My students minds are ready to learn and they enjoy the experience that I have to offer. They adhere to my directions whether its learning how to properly perform venipuncture, injections or performing an EKG.
Pros
Positive atmosphere.
Cons
Shool is being closed.
Productive and very fun atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 9, 2016
Working downtown at Computer Systems Institute (CSI) was a very fun experience. The bosses and workers are very helpful and understanding. A typical day at work for me was making and answering phone calls, filing and organizing documents, checking inventory, and setting up and supervising events. I learned greater communication and customer service skills. The most enjoyable part was the very comfortable atmosphere they have.
Pros
Fun coworkers, understanding people
Cons
short breaks
Great work environment
Campus President (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 22, 2016
Great place to work. This school allows you to be independent and creative with better options in which to help student.
Enjoyable position which allowed me to better understand people and where they come from.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 21, 2015
This position was an interesting experience which allowed me to improve my people skills by taking on the challenge of teaching an English as Second Language (ESL) course.
fun place
Campus Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2015
great place to learn new stuff, methods in different areas, how to be proactive person, very open mind to a lot of cultures around the wold
too much micromanaging occurring by people with inadequate backgrounds
MEDICAL ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 14, 2015
you give up any chance for a personal life. they will attempt to dominate your life while employed there.compensation was adequate but management was unbearable
Pros
you can have a real effect on the student population
Cons
too much managerial interference
Lead Instructor - Healthcare Career Program (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 28, 2015
CSI is a great place to work especially for individuals that are interested in advancement. This is a family owned business and employees are treated like members of the family.
Pros
Paid vacation, profit sharing, 401K plan
Cons
Split shifts
Great opportunities
Director of Studies (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2015
CSI promotes from within and strives to offer quality education to its students. CSI's management goals align closely with its mission. It is a great place to gain experience.
ESL Academy ESL Instructor
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  ChicagoMay 21, 2015
Low pay around 20 an hour and must hold M.A. in teaching. Typical day at work was teaching ESL students for 5 hour blocks with very little material. You are given a course outline and prep your own lessons. They only give you 1 hour of paid prep time per week with two 5 hour lessons for each class. Students are solely there to get their F1 status validated. It is a visa mill and they pass students to keep them since it brings down their 90/10 with people paying cash. They even have programs like Microsoft Office and students are allowed to go get a job whereas any other school an F1 visa holder would not be able to. How does driving a cab equate to learning Microsoft Office or working in a Thai restaurant? I quite because the pay was low, no benefits and they expected me to take time off of my full time job (hiring me knowing I worked downtown full time) for faculty enrichment sessions.
The last straw is when they fired a colleague of mine for taking bereavement leave when her uncle died whom she was very close to. They didn't even tell her and when she came back in from leave they had already found a replacement for her. Sick and appalling management with no experience. I would not recommend teaching there or working there. I know admissions only gets paid mid thirties to low 40s in the city meanwhile most admissions positions in the city pay 50 plus with fringe benefits.
Pros
meeting people from other countries
Cons
low pay, at will, will let you go for any reason, no benefits
I like it here
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 10, 2015
Could use better immediate management. Delegators don't work well with professionals. Things are always changing and requirements of instructors is shifted everyday.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Management, culture politics, arbitrary terminations
Interractive
Campus Ambassador for International Students (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2015
My duties used to be various at the very beginning but then it slowed down. I learned mostly by myself clerk/administration stuff as customer service too working with international student everyday. My coworkers were the greatest and hardworking people I have ever met.
The best thing working here is that I learned and interact with some many cultures and people from all over the world who became my friends.
A great environment with humble individuals
Clerical Assistant/Work Study (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2014
A typical day at work would involve customer service, keeping files in order and workplace cleanliness. I learned how to work under pressure, how to create IDs and how to respond to angry and irritable customers. The management was great, I followed instructions and completed tasks throughout the day as asked. The hardest part of the job was being let go because I wanted to continue my experience and broaden my knowledge of the workplace better. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and participating in interacting with other co-workers.
Pros
Clean, friendly, humble
Cons
Not enough time spent
Well rounded institution
Work Study Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 18, 2014
A typical day at work would include me answering and making outgoing phone calls, directing students to proper departments throughout the campus, creating bulletin boards for campus events, keeping office order and cleanliness, and also running errands to various parts of the campus. I learned how to make picture IDs, how to remain calm when a customer or student is upset, I also learned how to use various programs on the school computer. My co-workers were easy to get along with. They were calm, welcoming and very generous. The hardest part of of the job was knowing that it was only for a short period of time. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things as I went along.
Pros
Great location, nice individuals, and learning new things
Cons
Not spending more time
Great Student interaction; Opportunity to be effective in Student Growth
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 23, 2014
The most enjoyable part of being an instructor at CSI was the opportunity to impact students who needed direction in life. The program and curriculum for their orientation class was appropriate and exciting to teach. The co-workers were dedicated to making sure students understood the discipline in which they were interested. The management had trouble placing students in jobs because the balance between retention and learning accountability was tilted toward retention. Too often students were unprepared to complete the program because they could not pass certification requirements. As adults there needed to be a higher bar and more benchmarks to make sure students were prepared for the workforce.
Pros
Great co-workers; Very helpful; Shared freely anything needed
Cons
Management was too friendly with students and accountability was not effective because of this

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Computer Systems Institute. Our community is ready to answer.