Computer Systems Institute Employee Reviews for English As A Second Language Teacher

CSI: ESL for profit
ESL instructor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 4, 2017
CSI makes it easy to teach an 8 hour class. The assignments and lessons have been previously selected for you. They do pay you for prep time, but the prep time could be use to review the materials that you will be teaching or to grade work students have previously submitted. If you are consistent and reliable you will most likely be praised for your job. But as an instructor there isn't much opportunity for full time work or benefits. I think the students are great and the other workers are very friendly and willing to help.
Pros
Lessons are already prepared
Cons
no full time opportunity
Management and Policy is always in flux
Adjunct ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MAApril 1, 2017
I do love my students, but working with the management has been always a challenge. The school is run from Chicago, so there tends to be a lot of communication and technical problems. This creates a very stressful situation, so the staff is always in flux.
A veteran teacher told me this was the most chaotic school he has ever taught at. I thought it was me.
Like I said, I 'll do anything to help my students. They have enough to worry about without confusion, delay, and policy reversals from the school. It really is a disservice to them. The teachers I know go above and beyond to help their students, despite the flaws of management.
ESL Academy ESL Instructor
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  ChicagoMay 21, 2015
Low pay around 20 an hour and must hold M.A. in teaching. Typical day at work was teaching ESL students for 5 hour blocks with very little material. You are given a course outline and prep your own lessons. They only give you 1 hour of paid prep time per week with two 5 hour lessons for each class. Students are solely there to get their F1 status validated. It is a visa mill and they pass students to keep them since it brings down their 90/10 with people paying cash. They even have programs like Microsoft Office and students are allowed to go get a job whereas any other school an F1 visa holder would not be able to. How does driving a cab equate to learning Microsoft Office or working in a Thai restaurant? I quite because the pay was low, no benefits and they expected me to take time off of my full time job (hiring me knowing I worked downtown full time) for faculty enrichment sessions.
The last straw is when they fired a colleague of mine for taking bereavement leave when her uncle died whom she was very close to. They didn't even tell her and when she came back in from leave they had already found a replacement for her. Sick and appalling management with no experience. I would not recommend teaching there or working there. I know admissions only gets paid mid thirties to low 40s in the city meanwhile most admissions positions in the city pay 50 plus with fringe benefits.
Pros
meeting people from other countries
Cons
low pay, at will, will let you go for any reason, no benefits