Computer Systems Institute Management reviews

Computer Systems Institute
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MA 02129October 3, 2018
the management,missing no communications, and the don't treat the employer fairly.
but I learned about the costumer service and and work was group
Pros
work us a teem
CSI's Vision with blurred lines
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 15, 2018
To start with the good, it's a good place to start if you have never gained any professional experience before. You can learn a lot here.
My fellow staff members are what keep me going throughout the day and students can be enjoyable to speak with so many people around the world. Also, you will have independence to do your job.

But, that's assuming you will survive long enough...

MA staff is not treated the same as IL staff. We are almost invisible in their eyes even though we operate the largest campus here. Expect to be a worker bee with no voice because if you complain, then HR will punish you since management won't take accountability.

There's practically no benefits, the compensation is extremely low (30K) and a second job is recommended. There is also no significant appreciation from management, not even holiday parties at the office (unless you're in IL).

I'm really confused with how CSI is looking toward the future because it seems like a slow decline for them at this point.
Pros
Cons
Senior Management, Hr, Compensation
Nice place to work
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2018
Great place to work. Staff was great to work with and full of energy. Everyone was very willing to help if you had questions. Management was never on top of you.
More drama than a Khardashian season
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MAOctober 23, 2017
I am not one for drama and although every office has its drama, this place is too full of it.
This is a culture of drama and backstabbing here.
The management is not good at all and human resources department is really lacking in morals.
This is like working in a playpen filled with toddlers and egg shells and you best not step on an eggshell.
As much as I enjoy some of my colleagues and the students I work with.
It's just become a very hostile working environment and it's no good for me at this time.
Pros
None that I can think of
Cons
Management, Human Resources, Drama, Backstabbing, Hostile Environment
Worked for school funds
Student Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILSeptember 13, 2017
There was not much to do as a student but the people were great. There were things I learned with office management which was interesting and helped me with jobs after finishing time with CSI.
Treated like slave
Financial Aid Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILAugust 23, 2017
Acted like I was a child and treated me as such. Kept me in a back office for hours at a time and all they had me do was make new student packets, and they lied about everything.
Pros
good pay
Cons
treated bad
Conputer Systems Ins
Senior Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2017
This was a contract position for 8 months. Instruction in N+ A+ Networking, intro to project management. All my students passed all certifications with highest marks school had posted in passed.
Pros
Training and offering problem soloving.
Great management team
STUDENT ACCOUNTS REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJune 12, 2017
Working with students, management was always willing to help assist if needed, very supportive, and always willing to help you grow. Everyone worked as a team, working for one goal, the benefit of the student. No matter what department you worked in everyone came together as a school as it should be. Nothing was above anyone, and everyone was always willing to assist to ensure our students were taken care of properly.
Pros
1 hour lunch, support
Cons
work a holic company
Management and Policy is always in flux
Adjunct ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MAApril 1, 2017
I do love my students, but working with the management has been always a challenge. The school is run from Chicago, so there tends to be a lot of communication and technical problems. This creates a very stressful situation, so the staff is always in flux.
A veteran teacher told me this was the most chaotic school he has ever taught at. I thought it was me.
Like I said, I 'll do anything to help my students. They have enough to worry about without confusion, delay, and policy reversals from the school. It really is a disservice to them. The teachers I know go above and beyond to help their students, despite the flaws of management.
Faculty was enjoyable to work with
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILDecember 7, 2016
CSI prepares untraditional students for traditional jobs. Broad student base from all walks of life. Most programs are 8 months long. Each faculty member would teach "modules" involving different subjects.

Most enjoyable - teaching students a new subject and preparing them for it.

Least enjoyable - many students not motivated to learn. Some students were there simply to be able to avoid looking for a job and collected unemployment while attending class.
Pros
good curriulum, texts, additional teaching aids
Cons
unmotivated students, uncaring upper management
poor management
High School Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILOctober 25, 2016
management was not as productive

co workers were willing to help others if needed

Enjoyed the face to face interaction with prospective students
Talented Management and Colleagues at the Gurnee Campus
Instructor, Networking/Business Career Program (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILFebruary 8, 2016
The hardest part of my job is feeling that management does not seem to value the instructors as the front-line/primary contact with their customers, the students.

I learned so very much from my work here on two committees: one for employee experience and one for a proposed mentorship project. Unfortunately, these came late in my 5+ year time with this company.

My Academic Dean and Campus President were essential as role models and mentors for getting through difficult times, for example ACICS accreditation. I have met many talented people here as both full and part-time faculty.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping students attain Microsoft Office and/or A+ certifications and then see them go on to secure successful employment through our Career Development Department. Getting our students to a better situation in life is what made all the effort worthwhile.
Pros
CSI paid for certifications to keep current, occasionally held bootcamps
Cons
Part-time faculty had no benefits and few advancement opportunities
too much micromanaging occurring by people with inadequate backgrounds
MEDICAL ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 14, 2015
you give up any chance for a personal life. they will attempt to dominate your life while employed there.compensation was adequate but management was unbearable
Pros
you can have a real effect on the student population
Cons
too much managerial interference
Great opportunities
Director of Studies (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2015
CSI promotes from within and strives to offer quality education to its students. CSI's management goals align closely with its mission. It is a great place to gain experience.
ESL Academy ESL Instructor
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  ChicagoMay 21, 2015
Low pay around 20 an hour and must hold M.A. in teaching. Typical day at work was teaching ESL students for 5 hour blocks with very little material. You are given a course outline and prep your own lessons. They only give you 1 hour of paid prep time per week with two 5 hour lessons for each class. Students are solely there to get their F1 status validated. It is a visa mill and they pass students to keep them since it brings down their 90/10 with people paying cash. They even have programs like Microsoft Office and students are allowed to go get a job whereas any other school an F1 visa holder would not be able to. How does driving a cab equate to learning Microsoft Office or working in a Thai restaurant? I quite because the pay was low, no benefits and they expected me to take time off of my full time job (hiring me knowing I worked downtown full time) for faculty enrichment sessions.
The last straw is when they fired a colleague of mine for taking bereavement leave when her uncle died whom she was very close to. They didn't even tell her and when she came back in from leave they had already found a replacement for her. Sick and appalling management with no experience. I would not recommend teaching there or working there. I know admissions only gets paid mid thirties to low 40s in the city meanwhile most admissions positions in the city pay 50 plus with fringe benefits.
Pros
meeting people from other countries
Cons
low pay, at will, will let you go for any reason, no benefits
I like it here
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 10, 2015
Could use better immediate management. Delegators don't work well with professionals. Things are always changing and requirements of instructors is shifted everyday.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Management, culture politics, arbitrary terminations
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILMarch 27, 2015
It's enriching to help other people lives. Do your job and they will work with you. There seems to be little room for growth being that everyone in leadership has been there for years. I love it and I hate to leave to explore other opportunities for leadership. They give you a paid off day for your birthday too.
Pros
No micromanagement
Cons
For me its the distance from Chicago to Gurnee
A great environment with humble individuals
Clerical Assistant/Work Study (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2014
A typical day at work would involve customer service, keeping files in order and workplace cleanliness. I learned how to work under pressure, how to create IDs and how to respond to angry and irritable customers. The management was great, I followed instructions and completed tasks throughout the day as asked. The hardest part of the job was being let go because I wanted to continue my experience and broaden my knowledge of the workplace better. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and participating in interacting with other co-workers.
Pros
Clean, friendly, humble
Cons
Not enough time spent
Great Student interaction; Opportunity to be effective in Student Growth
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 23, 2014
The most enjoyable part of being an instructor at CSI was the opportunity to impact students who needed direction in life. The program and curriculum for their orientation class was appropriate and exciting to teach. The co-workers were dedicated to making sure students understood the discipline in which they were interested. The management had trouble placing students in jobs because the balance between retention and learning accountability was tilted toward retention. Too often students were unprepared to complete the program because they could not pass certification requirements. As adults there needed to be a higher bar and more benchmarks to make sure students were prepared for the workforce.
Pros
Great co-workers; Very helpful; Shared freely anything needed
Cons
Management was too friendly with students and accountability was not effective because of this
Good
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILMarch 2, 2014
Good place to work, management is great. Ability to grow with the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Computer Systems Institute. Our community is ready to answer.