Concordia Lutheran Ministries Employee Reviews

convienient
Cook (Former Employee) –  Cabot, PAFebruary 27, 2019
Job was close to home and convenient for someone NOT looking to advance in their career. Health insurance was high for a family as well as a married couple.
Pros
friendly staff making a difference
Cons
benefits and lack of career advancement
Would not work here again
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 22, 2018
Prepare to work your life away. This company hired very young, inexperienced management when I was there. I was asked to perform services that not only were not in my job description, but that also put my license in danger.
Pros
Decent pay and health insurance
Cons
Forced overtime, under staffing, poor communication from management, asked to do jobs that could endanger your license
Poor management norespect.
Maintance Worker (Former Employee) –  southhillsAugust 12, 2018
Management does not appreciate hard work or loyalty the work place is hostile and back stabbing is every day gold bricking is acceptable. The residents are suffering .the bosses talk down to employee very highschool a few employees allthe work.
Pros
Residents
Cons
the Frdaks
Wonderful
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cabot, PAJuly 31, 2018
I enjoyed working for Concordia, and my reason for leaving was amicable. It was wonderful to build relationships with the residents, and the facility was very clean and modern.
caring for the elderly
snack shop manager (Former Employee) –  Cabot, PAJuly 27, 2018
if you are good with older adults this job would be for you. any of the many jobs here from cna, lpn, rn, housekeeping, dietary, maintenance, salon, activities, snack shop employee, even just volunteering your time.
Pros
growing company
Cons
grwoing faster than can staff it
Life at concordia
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Cabot, PAJuly 11, 2018
If you love working with older people then this job is for you. You have to have a large heart and lots of patience with both residents and staff. Some days are better than others. The dietary environment is fast paced.
Pros
free meals if you work in dietary
Very nice and clean environment
Nurse Aid/Server (Former Employee) –  CabotJune 5, 2018
Very nice place to work, kept learning through hands on and classes; other employees were nice and personable; family members became friends; nice interacting with the residedents
good work place
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cabot, PAMay 22, 2018
good place to work, friendly staff, good enviroment, the management had its ups and downs but overall it wasn't a bad place to work, the pay was good.
Great starter job and can make a career out of it.
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Cabot, PAApril 27, 2018
I have worked at this place for 4 years total and I will admit there is a lot of stress between co-workers from other kitchens because old naggy woman, but overall it is not bad. When I became mature, I realized I could be the bigger person and knew how to dismiss childish behavior and act professionally. The workplace is productive and fast-paced. The residents are lovely. The work is not rocket science and can be relaxing when you get the groove of things.
Pros
Great pay, flexible hours, great management, easy job tasks, benefits
Cons
Gets uncomfortably hot in the dish room, you will smell nasty after work
General Analysis
Cabot Employee (Current Employee) –  Cabot, PAJanuary 7, 2018
Concordia from a customer experience is good. Residents are happy and generally well treated. The issue at Concordia is the management style and treatment of employees by management and other employees. The company is a multi-million dollar corporation that struggles to balance mom and pop small business approach with corporate style strategy. Management often makes promises to employees regarding expectations and advancement that are broken. They are unwilling to change practices and approaches in certain common sense areas where efficiencies and workload can be improved. This often leads to employees taking on work and responsibilities that are completely out of their area of expertise and the expectations of management for employees to do this is very high. Compensation for such expectations is very low and will usually lead to people getting a $15 Giant Eagle gift card on rarer occasions. They love to use gift cards as a way to try and motivate performance but it is often underwhelming. The only time you see significant bonuses being given are to physicians and administrators.

The culture is abysmal. Employees are typically not very friendly especially in administrative departments and dietary. Again, to residents these people are fine but not in how they treat other employees. Cliques are very much apart of the atmosphere and the cohesiveness of the departments is extremely minimal. It's really amazing how people can get anything accomplished with the lack of teamwork. The prime motivational factor in performing well is so you don't get in trouble. Mistakes
  more... are very much emphasized when management is looking at performance so don't expect too much praise when you do something good or above and beyond if you've made a little mistake along the way.

The last subject to touch on is the executive management. I attribute everything wrong with the company to the management team at Concordia. They are very knowledgeable business people and are generally very polite but they are the ones that harbor the atmosphere. They higher upper/middle management that continually do nothing about the culture that currently exits and in some circumstances the Executives fall into the same habits. The CEO often promotes internal competition to motivate performance outcome. Though this isn't entirely a bad thing it often leads to a free for all environment within and between departments/locations. There are individuals that are entirely focused on ensuring that they aren't getting the short end of the stick and will often bicker within their own team. The executives have been made aware of everything I've discussed but continue to not acknowledge that a problem exists so long as the company continues to perform well. I expect this philosophy to be common place in most corporate environments but not with a company whose faith based mission is a focus on serving the elderly community. My previous experience working in this industry has seen companies facilitate environments that do not contain this level of volatility.

In short a great place to bring your aging parent/grand parent but a terrible place to work at if you hope to grow in any professional capacity.
Pros
Work doesn't take away from home life
Cons
Everything else not in the Pros
Great, well-rounded experience in PR
Public Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Cabot, PANovember 2, 2017
As an intern at Concordia Lutheran Ministries, I was always busy from the moment I walked into the door until the moment I left. I was responsible for calling residents, interviewing them and writing testimonials. In addition, I wrote several news releases, helped to plan events (annual golf outing/annual summer festival) and also acted as a photographer. All of the employees at Concordia Lutheran Ministries were very nice and welcoming. My supervisor and the CEO were great to work alongside.
Cons
No pay as an intern
Elderly Love
Nurse's Aide (Former Employee) –  Cabot, PAOctober 19, 2017
Concorida is a great place to work! I loved working as a nurses aid. I learned basic patient care and time management. I came into work and heard the report from the head nurse. After that, I would visit my patients and help them to the restroom or help them bathe. I would assist the patients to the dinning area for dinner. After dinner, I bathed a few more patients and conducted nightly routines.
Nice place to work.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Cabot, PAAugust 24, 2017
I like working here I work in the maintenance department, its a lot of hands on but thats what I like. My previous job I did hvac so at concordia I do a lot of hvac.
Nice workplace with good work ethics
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cabot, PAAugust 3, 2017
Very busy and understaffed most days. Management is not very understanding about the aides safety and work load, as well as the nurses. I have gained a lot of patience and learned how much I do enjoy helping others in need.
great management
LPN Daylight Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cheswick, PAJuly 13, 2017
started my nursing career, taught me a lot of what I needed to know as a new graduate nurse. Great management, and work environment. Always were willing to help out.
LTC is nice, rehab is like getting thrown to the wolves
LPN (Current Employee) –  Cabot, PAJune 20, 2017
Love the residents on LTC units, some nurses are a little iffy on all units. Management is great, although they try to micromanage which doesn't work.
mostly great staff...
Full-Time Skilled LPN (Current Employee) –  Cabot, PASeptember 12, 2016
competitive wages are the best benefit, however the medical benefits are so-so, friendly work atmosphere (for the most part), and you can learn a lot while working here. after 4+ years working here i would say that i would feel AOK and sleep at night knowing that if i had a family member here, they were being well taken care of at this facility.
Pros
free ham at xmas- learning opportunities, and pay
Cons
one bad apple can ruin the punch
great place to work
Dietary Server/Aide/Cook (Current Employee) –  Cabot, PAJuly 5, 2016
Great place to work. coworkers are great to be around. easy to move up. also willing to help out their own employees with advancement.
always a productive day
Director of Food Services (Former Employee) –  PAJuly 22, 2015
* My day at work would be, scheduling, working on ADP, ordering products, budgeting, meetings, training, making sure dietary was up to DPW standards, MSDS lodges, know RSG, know polices and procedures and quartile reports.

* What have I learned - how to be a good boss, how important my staff is and why its important to watch the elderlys diets and how to communication.

* management - at times upper management would not listen

* co - workers - easy to get along with

* Hardest part of my job - was making sure all employees fallowed diets.

* most enjoyable of the job - was my staff (I had great staff)
Pros
free lunches
Cons
at times no breaks
Fun place with room for advancement
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  DietaryMay 27, 2015
• Communicate clearly and effectively with residents, staff, families and personal care takers
• Help residents walk to and from meals safely, including transfers before and after meals alongside nursing staff
• Recognize when a resident needs adaptive equipment
• Assist with preparation, cooking, and baking following special diet orders and direction for the Cook/Baker.
• Ensure that the proper diet is served to each patient
• Assist in orientation and training of new food service personnel as requested
• Maintains confidentiality of resident and employee records and information
• Understands and follows all Federal, State, ServSafe, and other food service regulations including maintaining required documentation
• Organize and maintain a clean and sanitary working environment