Connecticut Science Center Employee Reviews

Awful Place to Work
Professional Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 26, 2019
I have never been upset more with a workplace then when I worked at CSC. Then run you ragged with no benefits, pick you apart piece by piece and expect 60 or more hours a week with no compensation. A job which was supposed to be minimal travel turned into 90% travel with no easement on the employees end except to be paid for the mileage. It was awful.
Pros
Amazing co-workers and a great HR department.
Cons
Everything else, but specifically upper management.
Fun and very interactive
Visitors Services (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 10, 2017
Working here helped with dealing with all age groups and how to deal with crowd control and safety. The managers are very understanding with personal lives and manage schedules well. Most enjoyable part of the job was watching families come in and learning together.
Great place to visit horrible place to work
Visitors Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTNovember 16, 2017
My coworkers were beyond amazing, but the management was horrible. They play favorites. I had applied to be a party host as well, they instead approached someone who didnt even know/want the position. I worked more than 35 hours average and was still considered part time. They would hire people who were WELL over qualified for our positions (walking around galleries telling kids to not run and not to eat). The CEO will walk around but doesnt care about his employees. Worst place I've ever been employed.
The only job I can truly say I liked waking up for
Exhibit installer/facilities maintenance (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 15, 2017
The CT Science Center is a fun place to work. It deeply upset me when I was told my position was being omitted for budget reasons. I don't think there is much more I can say.
Pros
It was a really fun place to work
Cons
They don't provide parking for the part time employees
Great Job
Visitor Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 8, 2017
I love my job, there is nothing more enjoyable than sharing my love of science with the public. I have learned so much about public relations, especially in the field of science, and feel so welcomed an loved there. Everyone I work with shares my ideals and interests and it is just a great place to work while I am in college.
Fun place to work
Exhibit installer (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 11, 2015
This was the first Co. I can honestly say I didn't mind getting up in the morning to go to. When I first started I was just a temp changing out exhibits in their traveling exhibit. I began working in Exhibits filling in for exhibit techs and helping build exhibits. Then I became an official part time Facilities maintenance worker. I did this for 2 years and then they decided they didn't need Me and their full time Facilities guy.
Pros
It was fun working their, Great people in the public portion.
Cons
Its a non profit Org. and the management doesn't understand the work required to keep up, A place that has children abusing stuff all day every day
Committed to Science
Staff Scientist- STEM Educator (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 5, 2015
A nice place to visit, work, and learn. Job requirements may change after your date of hire. There is a possibility of over time work without pay.
Productive and fun place to be at.
Robotics Crew (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTNovember 12, 2014
Everyday I was excited to wake up and go to work. I learned so much things. I learned without knowing I learned because I had so much fun. My co-workers were such awesome people to work with. We all ended up being so close. Being around one another mad it so much fun. My job wasn't just all fun and games. I had so much difficulties during my job. When I would put a certain item on my robot and attach it, I would later notice I have to change the position I had placed it and put the item elsewhere. It was a quite frustrating. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to work with kids to teach them about robots. Seeing the little smiles on kids face make the highlight of my day.
Pros
Learning something without knowing you learned.
Cons
Small work place
Productive 20% of the time; Non-Productive 80%
Visitor Staff Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 3, 2014
Some days are busy and some days aren't. Apart of the museum culture I suppose. Most of the time at my job I feel very non-productive because I have to stand in a gallery for 8 hours pacing back and forth doing absolutely nothing. The only time I ever feel productive is when i'm in the position of ticketing or a theater usher because you're constantly busy with customers. I'm the type of person that HAS to be doing something to keep my mind occupied. Over the course of a year and a few months, i must admit that i've learned a lot working at my job. I learned how to use a computer system and work the cash drawers which i've never done before in my life. My coworkers are friendly and the most enjoyable part of my job is helping the customers that come through the door. I like providing people with all the information necessary for them to have an amazing time visiting.
Once you're in, you're in
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 24, 2014
As a camp counselor, every day was a new challenge, like kids always are. Always a new lesson I would teach them and a new lesson they would teach me.
Management was stunning. The accuracy and speed that came with acknowledging and solving problems was like now other. It was obvious they cared about their employees. The hardest part about my job was the children, but it is also the most enjoyable part.
The children are eager to learn and i was happy to teach them.
Pros
work environment
Cons
long hours, short breaks
Fun place to work!
Visitor Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 22, 2013
Great experience here! The people are great and you never get bored.
Pros
your position changes everyday within visitors services so you learn to do everything
Cons
short breaks and mildly cranky supers