CONNECTIONS ACADEMY Employee Reviews

I love my job
Teacher (Current Employee) –  HomeJune 7, 2018
Best place I've ever worked. I can actually work one on one with kids to help them out and get them to where they need to be. One of my favorite parts of my job.
Informative
On-line ESE substitute teacher for grades (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMay 27, 2018
Connections Academy taught me everything I needed to know to be an on-line teacher. I learned the on-line system and what is required for success. A typical day involved co-teaching 3 classes, teaching 2 classes, contact with parents and students, writing IEPs. My immediate manager was very responsive, The teachers in the school that I co-taught with were great to work with. We collaborated on assignments and provided input on assignments to be effective. The hardest part of the job was the time to write the IEPs. The days were very busy so writing IEPs was done after school hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students and the parents.
Pros
Cooperation
Cons
Time
Connections is a wonderful place to learn and grow your craft.
Math Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 10, 2018
I loved working for Connections and hope to return soon. I was working with a new program and then moved into a full time position with another company.
You can have flexible work schedules
Learning Coach (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 17, 2018
You can have flexible work schedules. Additionally, you can work from remote area and your own home. This working condition can give you freedom to enhance your life.
Nice work place with friendly people
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Gwinn, MIApril 17, 2018
Located in Gwinn, Michigan Global Response is a fun relaxed workplace with very nice people. The hours and the pay are very fair. Break schedule and lunch breaks are also very fair.
Top-Down Management and Changes Every Year Are for the Worse
Teacher (Former Employee) –  OnlineMarch 7, 2018
I taught for over 5 years at Connections and when I started, it was an incredible place to work! I had excellent colleagues and a great manager, the students were awesome! Then, as they grew, the people supposedly making the decisions and the merge with Pearson has now made it a corporate culture where students are "clients" and they are not valued, just numbers. Teachers often have up to 300 students and are not compensated extra for this. You are expected to call each student 3 times a semester and keep track of it, as well as do 4-5 Professional Development sessions every month. Endless meetings and check-ins with managers who micro-manage you, some managers who never even taught as long as you, are telling you how to teach when they are just clueless.
You get sick and personal days but are not allowed to take more than 2 days off in a row and are told to work over holiday breaks. There are barely 6 weeks off during the summer and you are expected to write goals and discuss with your manager every semester, which is useless.
Every year, the teaching structure changed. You are required to get multiple teaching licenses in many states and often the person in charge doesn't check into it and just says to get it and some states require you to take their teaching tests in their state only. They spent all this time and effort dividing teachers into regions and getting licenses in certain states, only to abandon that again and make it confusing. Teaching is on 2 platforms and you have to keep track of which students are where.
Teachers are monitored on an online messenger
  more... service to make sure they are online and working and are expected to hold live chat hours to which students never show.
When you figure out your pay, as a full-time employee, down to the hour, it comes out to like $15. You used to get a yearly bonus based on how you and the company performed (again, not caring about students) but they screwed us over on those last year. Every year, I got a 1% raise, when factored in after taxes, was like $10 per pay period. Insulting!
Staying home was great but, the hassles and slave driving mentality and not having teachers' or students' best interests at heart anymore do not make Connections a great place to work anymore. There are better online schools out there to teach for!
Pros
Great Students and Fellow Teachers
Cons
Top-Down Management; Changes Every Year are Confusing
Mission driven and innovative
Co-Founder/Executive Vice President (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDFebruary 12, 2018
Come work here if you want to be part of creating the future of education through development and deployment of high-quality virtual schools for grades K-12.
good company just out sourced
Customer service Representative (Former Employee) –  Margate, FLJanuary 5, 2018
The company education connections was not bad to work for at all they where very friendly and helpful . The company whom Connections Academy let handle the @ Global Response the account really had more supervisors that should be mangers and vice versa honestly we had 2 or 3 mangers that should not have been never been considered for leadership in my personal opinion.
Pros
weekends off and a few holidays
Cons
no benefits and only 3 paid holiday's off
Focus on numbers, not students and teachers
Middle School Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  onlineDecember 19, 2017
At one point I had over 400 math students! All email and grading had to be done within 24 hours. Management would threaten to fire you or put you on performance plans if numbers were not met. Little room for autonomy or creativity. The other teachers were great, though.
Great Place!
Credential Compliance Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 2, 2017
This is a great place to work. The atmosphere is fairly relaxed but everyone seems to thoroughly enjoy their work. Being able to work at home definitely keeps employees happier and more productive.
Pros
Work at home days, no micromanagement
Professional atmosphere
Customer Care Representative (temp assignment) (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 3, 2017
As a Customer Care Specialist, my duties included taking inbound phone calls from clients re: setting up for their classes. ie... receiving books, computer equipment, class supplies, class assignments, etc.
Pros
Meeting lots of people and assisting them with their edcuational needs
Cons
High volume of calls, followed by very low volume of calls
Ok Place to Work
Family Connections Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 20, 2017
Great salary and benefits for the position. Management can be disorganized which gets frustrating but other than that the work is easy and overtime is offered during the summer.
Wonderful place to work
After Effects Animator (Former Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 19, 2017
Working as a contracted animator, I absolutely loved this job. They have an amazing team that works really well together. I do with that I could work here all the time, but it's only a seasonal contracted position.
Pros
Great Pay, Great Communication, Great Training
Cons
none.
Recently Started Working for the Company
School and Program Operations Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 13, 2017
A typical day at work involves analyzing data and problem solving. In this position I have learned to use multiple platforms for research. My manager provides us with guidelines and then leaves us to complete our work without micro-managing. The hardest part of the job is finding new ways to achieve old tasks. The most enjoyable part of this job is completing projects that make an immediate impact on the company.
Pros
Remote after 90 days, tuition voucher program, plenty of time off
Cons
Outbound calls
Good
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Margate, FLJune 15, 2017
The company was a good company and I would o back. Good pay great people. Its sad I had to leave the job and relocate to another city. I am extremely grateful for opportunity.
Learning Coach
Learning Coach (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJune 12, 2017
I was briefly a learning coach with Connections Academy. The experience was positive. Used this platform to help students with problem solving and learning.
Excellent cworkers
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 5, 2017
I absolutely love the people I work with. However, the department I work in only promotes within if you're a "yes man." The compensation is extremely low in comparison to other companies; the company has great benefits though.
Fun and relaxed workplace
Enrollment Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 22, 2017
A typical day would be inputting students enrollment documents. Taking calls from schools and parents ensuring documents were received.
Great place to work. Great group of people.
Agent (Former Employee) –  Margate, FLJanuary 22, 2017
My job was receiving documentation for students who wanted to attend a virtual school online. The students needed to produce documents such as the following: birth certificates, proof of residence, previous school records, ect. I had to make sure these documents were legal. I would make phone calls to these students if there was a problem with their documentation.

It was a learning experience in that I learned that there are all kinds of birth certificates and I learned all about the other documentation.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the people worked side by side. Everyone had a sense of humor and it broke up the monotony of the day.
Cons
Short breaks and short lunch breaks
Very fun
Document Verificastion Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 29, 2016
Lots of employee morale boosters. While the work is kind of boring, the reward of knowing you helped a child stay in school was very rewarding. Worked there for a temp position.