Connections Academy Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cody, WYOctober 26, 2018
I enjoyed the ability to work with students all over the state. The time on the phone and online was a lot since everything was done through the phone or online. It was a different setting then a regular classroom which was a nice change. If I were to go back the a Connections Academy school I would want to work from home then in the office, but since I am a Special Education Teacher, they require you to work in the office. I am not willing to relocate at this time.
Great work place, poor management
Program Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 24, 2018
I unfortunately did not have the best supervisor, but overall CCA was a great place to work. The hours could be lengthy but the pay structure was fair and there were many team building opportunities.
Pros
could work from home sometimes
Cons
management communication
No Advancement, No higher pay
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GASeptember 18, 2018
This job is for those who are looking for entry level work, on an low balled, entry level pay.
The company has no exact pay rating scale so they literally pay you whatever is convenient. You do receive a yearly bonus, which is based on the school's performance, but it's really not alot. As an administrator you are given an obscure amount of work to complete in 8 hours with no one in leadership giving full directions, or they tell you one thing one day, and that changes within 24 hours to something else.
As an Administrator you are not respected or showed any appreciation, yet, unlike the rest of the staff and faculty, are the only one who is required to be present in the office 5 days a week.
As a virtual school they never allow you lee way to work from home, not even if you get a flat tire. You MUST take PTO regardless.
If you're going to work here, just go to a physical school, at least you get paid more.
Cons
no breaks, no appreciation
Awesome work life balance although low salary
High school teacher Full-time (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 16, 2018
Super people to work with. This is a forward thinking company although they need to compensate teachers better who hold advanced degrees. The culture is extremely positive and work - life balance is 150% beyond traditional teaching position.
Pros
Awesome culture and most employees are creme of the crop.
Cons
Advancement is limited as is any potential salary increase.
Employees are not respected nor treated as Professionals
School employee (Former Employee) –  SCAugust 5, 2018
SCCA is a for profit school - this creates a unique culture in the public school world. The best thing about the job is working from home. You are expected to work more than 40 hours a week and the work load is intense. The managers are very young and inexperienced. They are often very uptight and anxious. This is the first school job that many of them have ever had .Every move that you make is micromanaged and very often criticized. You basically are to do what you are told with no question. You can be terminated at any time without warning. Benefits and pay are not the same as what you would receive in a state public school setting. However the working from home outweighs the benefits for most people. There are some very nice people who work here and the quality of education that the school provides is good. Employees are just treated poorly.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Management and Pay
Rewarding experience teaching children
Teacher covering all subjects (Former Employee) –  Home BasedAugust 1, 2018
Teacher covering all subjects for a seventh grader and a third grader. Both students finished the year with straight A's and a thorough understanding of material.
Great place to work!
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 25, 2018
If you like teaching but want flexibility in your life, Connections is great! You only work your contracted hours, unlike at a brick and mortar school where you might spend 10 hours a day at school plus bring grading home for nights and weekends. You get to know the students really well, and the populations being served by virtual school are awesome! There is a high need for programs like Connections, and I know I am doing good in the world by being part of it!
Pros
hours, flexibility, work life balance
Summer job - Intense
Academic Placement Advisor (Former Employee) –  RemoteJune 19, 2018
Worked in the Admissions department for the summer. Since this is there 'busy season', the work was satisfying but intense. It was non-stop the whole day. We were also requested to work overtime to help with the back log of questions and admission forms. Coworkers were extremely helpful and I was provided sufficient training before the season started.
Students Matter NOT--Sole Focus Placed on Data and Employee Performance Metrics
High School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 8, 2018
Management's only priority is data, data, data and preserving the high school graduation rate by any means necessary. School leadership is capricious and duplicitous.

Students matter NOT--any efforts teachers make to help students who actually want to pass their courses and get back on track to graduate are neither acknowledged nor recognized.

In this school culture, it's best to nod your head in agreement, do as they say, and keep your mouth shut. Those that voice contrary opinions are systematically targeted and purposefully micro-managed to death, thus creating such an unpleasant work environment that one will either comply with leadership's requests or quit the company.
Pros
Healthcare insurance is awesome
Cons
Capricious, duplicitous management, unpleasant work environment, no opportunity for growth
Great place to be able to collaborate with other teachers
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHJune 7, 2018
The environment was a very positive one where I felt comfortable to ask questions and get help when I needed it from other teachers in order to help my students. The hardest part was to keep the students focused when the weather outside was beautiful. Enjoyed very much motivating and helping the kids learn new things each day.
Pros
loved working with the kids and other teachers
Cons
nothing
Great Job for the Stay-At-Home Professional!
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Home BasedJune 7, 2018
This job was perfect for me when I needed virtual work from home. I learned that I did not care to work 100% from my computer as an educator to teen students.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Multi-day travel for standardized testing
I love my job
Teacher (Current Employee) –  HomeJune 7, 2018
Best place I've ever worked. I can actually work one on one with kids to help them out and get them to where they need to be. One of my favorite parts of my job.
Informative
On-line ESE substitute teacher for grades (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMay 27, 2018
Connections Academy taught me everything I needed to know to be an on-line teacher. I learned the on-line system and what is required for success. A typical day involved co-teaching 3 classes, teaching 2 classes, contact with parents and students, writing IEPs. My immediate manager was very responsive, The teachers in the school that I co-taught with were great to work with. We collaborated on assignments and provided input on assignments to be effective. The hardest part of the job was the time to write the IEPs. The days were very busy so writing IEPs was done after school hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students and the parents.
Pros
Cooperation
Cons
Time
Difficult yet beneficial
Administrative Assistant - Registrar (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMMay 10, 2018
I started this school from the ground up with the principal, with no training or help from anyone. All the skills I have obtained have been self taught or learned from others after work hours. The most beneficial perk to this job was being able to work from home if needed. We have now added a new administrative assistant who is doing wonderful, simply because she has been given training and assistance everyday by myself. I am very grateful that I have been here to help her succeed and she is thankful as well. I would hope that in the future of this school growing that our management team would provide adequate training for new employees, to simply reduce the stress level that is already there when starting a new career. Also the communication level is very much low rated, you will be given limited instructions on something, ask for clarification to receive no answer. Communication is a HUGE downfall to this company, I hope this is also improved in the years to come.
Pros
Flexible hours, ability to work from home.
Cons
Terrible communication
Connections is a wonderful place to learn and grow your craft.
Math Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 10, 2018
I loved working for Connections and hope to return soon. I was working with a new program and then moved into a full time position with another company.
Life/work balance needs balancing
Teacher/Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 30, 2018
The school provides a beneficial opportunity for students who would otherwise struggle due to health or social issues.

The curriculum is canned and immovable - this can cause some problems.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Work is always available
You can have flexible work schedules
Learning Coach (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 17, 2018
You can have flexible work schedules. Additionally, you can work from remote area and your own home. This working condition can give you freedom to enhance your life.
Nice work place with friendly people
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Gwinn, MIApril 17, 2018
Located in Gwinn, Michigan Global Response is a fun relaxed workplace with very nice people. The hours and the pay are very fair. Break schedule and lunch breaks are also very fair.
It was great
Primary Learning Coach Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Columbus ohioApril 4, 2018
It was great volunteering as I taught my daughters Kindergarten and 1st grade. Even though it was stressful at times I found it rewarding at the same time,
Pros
stayed at home with my daughters
Cons
no income
Good communication and appreciation between administration and employees.
Community Events Coordinator/Parent Mentor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 17, 2018
I continually left appreciated by my superiors and felt that i was compensated fairly. Training was thorough and continual. The company realized the importance of well trained professionals working for them.