CONNECTIONS ACADEMY Employee Reviews

Awesome work life balance although low salary
High school teacher Full-time (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 16, 2018
Super people to work with. This is a forward thinking company although they need to compensate teachers better who hold advanced degrees. The culture is extremely positive and work - life balance is 150% beyond traditional teaching position.
Pros
Awesome culture and most employees are creme of the crop.
Cons
Advancement is limited as is any potential salary increase.
Employees are not respected nor treated as Professionals
School employee (Former Employee) –  SCAugust 5, 2018
SCCA is a for profit school - this creates a unique culture in the public school world. The best thing about the job is working from home. You are expected to work more than 40 hours a week and the work load is intense. The managers are very young and inexperienced. They are often very uptight and anxious. This is the first school job that many of them have ever had .Every move that you make is micromanaged and very often criticized. You basically are to do what you are told with no question. You can be terminated at any time without warning. Benefits and pay are not the same as what you would receive in a state public school setting. However the working from home outweighs the benefits for most people. There are some very nice people who work here and the quality of education that the school provides is good. Employees are just treated poorly.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Management and Pay
Rewarding experience teaching children
Teacher covering all subjects (Former Employee) –  Home BasedAugust 1, 2018
Teacher covering all subjects for a seventh grader and a third grader. Both students finished the year with straight A's and a thorough understanding of material.
Great place to work!
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 25, 2018
If you like teaching but want flexibility in your life, Connections is great! You only work your contracted hours, unlike at a brick and mortar school where you might spend 10 hours a day at school plus bring grading home for nights and weekends. You get to know the students really well, and the populations being served by virtual school are awesome! There is a high need for programs like Connections, and I know I am doing good in the world by being part of it!
Pros
hours, flexibility, work life balance
Students Matter NOT--Sole Focus Placed on Data and Employee Performance Metrics
High School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 8, 2018
Management's only priority is data, data, data and preserving the high school graduation rate by any means necessary. School leadership is capricious and duplicitous.

Students matter NOT--any efforts teachers make to help students who actually want to pass their courses and get back on track to graduate are neither acknowledged nor recognized.

In this school culture, it's best to nod your head in agreement, do as they say, and keep your mouth shut. Those that voice contrary opinions are systematically targeted and purposefully micro-managed to death, thus creating such an unpleasant work environment that one will either comply with leadership's requests or quit the company.
Pros
Healthcare insurance is awesome
Cons
Capricious, duplicitous management, unpleasant work environment, no opportunity for growth
Great place to be able to collaborate with other teachers
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHJune 7, 2018
The environment was a very positive one where I felt comfortable to ask questions and get help when I needed it from other teachers in order to help my students. The hardest part was to keep the students focused when the weather outside was beautiful. Enjoyed very much motivating and helping the kids learn new things each day.
Pros
loved working with the kids and other teachers
Cons
nothing
Great Job for the Stay-At-Home Professional!
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Home BasedJune 7, 2018
This job was perfect for me when I needed virtual work from home. I learned that I did not care to work 100% from my computer as an educator to teen students.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Multi-day travel for standardized testing
I love my job
Teacher (Current Employee) –  HomeJune 7, 2018
Best place I've ever worked. I can actually work one on one with kids to help them out and get them to where they need to be. One of my favorite parts of my job.
Informative
On-line ESE substitute teacher for grades (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMay 27, 2018
Connections Academy taught me everything I needed to know to be an on-line teacher. I learned the on-line system and what is required for success. A typical day involved co-teaching 3 classes, teaching 2 classes, contact with parents and students, writing IEPs. My immediate manager was very responsive, The teachers in the school that I co-taught with were great to work with. We collaborated on assignments and provided input on assignments to be effective. The hardest part of the job was the time to write the IEPs. The days were very busy so writing IEPs was done after school hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students and the parents.
Pros
Cooperation
Cons
Time
Difficult yet beneficial
Administrative Assistant - Registrar (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMMay 10, 2018
I started this school from the ground up with the principal, with no training or help from anyone. All the skills I have obtained have been self taught or learned from others after work hours. The most beneficial perk to this job was being able to work from home if needed. We have now added a new administrative assistant who is doing wonderful, simply because she has been given training and assistance everyday by myself. I am very grateful that I have been here to help her succeed and she is thankful as well. I would hope that in the future of this school growing that our management team would provide adequate training for new employees, to simply reduce the stress level that is already there when starting a new career. Also the communication level is very much low rated, you will be given limited instructions on something, ask for clarification to receive no answer. Communication is a HUGE downfall to this company, I hope this is also improved in the years to come.
Pros
Flexible hours, ability to work from home.
Cons
Terrible communication
Connections is a wonderful place to learn and grow your craft.
Math Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 10, 2018
I loved working for Connections and hope to return soon. I was working with a new program and then moved into a full time position with another company.
Life/work balance needs balancing
Teacher/Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 30, 2018
The school provides a beneficial opportunity for students who would otherwise struggle due to health or social issues.

The curriculum is canned and immovable - this can cause some problems.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Work is always available
You can have flexible work schedules
Learning Coach (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 17, 2018
You can have flexible work schedules. Additionally, you can work from remote area and your own home. This working condition can give you freedom to enhance your life.
Nice work place with friendly people
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Gwinn, MIApril 17, 2018
Located in Gwinn, Michigan Global Response is a fun relaxed workplace with very nice people. The hours and the pay are very fair. Break schedule and lunch breaks are also very fair.
It was great
Primary Learning Coach Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Columbus ohioApril 4, 2018
It was great volunteering as I taught my daughters Kindergarten and 1st grade. Even though it was stressful at times I found it rewarding at the same time,
Pros
stayed at home with my daughters
Cons
no income
Good communication and appreciation between administration and employees.
Community Events Coordinator/Parent Mentor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 17, 2018
I continually left appreciated by my superiors and felt that i was compensated fairly. Training was thorough and continual. The company realized the importance of well trained professionals working for them.
Top-Down Management and Changes Every Year Are for the Worse
Teacher (Former Employee) –  OnlineMarch 7, 2018
I taught for over 5 years at Connections and when I started, it was an incredible place to work! I had excellent colleagues and a great manager, the students were awesome! Then, as they grew, the people supposedly making the decisions and the merge with Pearson has now made it a corporate culture where students are "clients" and they are not valued, just numbers. Teachers often have up to 300 students and are not compensated extra for this. You are expected to call each student 3 times a semester and keep track of it, as well as do 4-5 Professional Development sessions every month. Endless meetings and check-ins with managers who micro-manage you, some managers who never even taught as long as you, are telling you how to teach when they are just clueless.
You get sick and personal days but are not allowed to take more than 2 days off in a row and are told to work over holiday breaks. There are barely 6 weeks off during the summer and you are expected to write goals and discuss with your manager every semester, which is useless.
Every year, the teaching structure changed. You are required to get multiple teaching licenses in many states and often the person in charge doesn't check into it and just says to get it and some states require you to take their teaching tests in their state only. They spent all this time and effort dividing teachers into regions and getting licenses in certain states, only to abandon that again and make it confusing. Teaching is on 2 platforms and you have to keep track of which students are where.
Teachers are monitored on an online messenger
  more... service to make sure they are online and working and are expected to hold live chat hours to which students never show.
When you figure out your pay, as a full-time employee, down to the hour, it comes out to like $15. You used to get a yearly bonus based on how you and the company performed (again, not caring about students) but they screwed us over on those last year. Every year, I got a 1% raise, when factored in after taxes, was like $10 per pay period. Insulting!
Staying home was great but, the hassles and slave driving mentality and not having teachers' or students' best interests at heart anymore do not make Connections a great place to work anymore. There are better online schools out there to teach for!
Pros
Great Students and Fellow Teachers
Cons
Top-Down Management; Changes Every Year are Confusing
Quick-paced
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bryn Mawr, PAFebruary 27, 2018
Enjoy the interaction with students. Quick-paced. Opportunities for growth. Great office atmosphere. New cutting edge technology. Enjoy the interaction with students. It is an 8+ hour day but worth it.
Mission driven and innovative
Co-Founder/Executive Vice President (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDFebruary 12, 2018
Come work here if you want to be part of creating the future of education through development and deployment of high-quality virtual schools for grades K-12.
Connections Academy
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 24, 2018
A free, public virtual school for children in grades four through twelve. Books, work books, science kits and PE equipment are all provided at no cost.