Consumer Cellular Employee Reviews

Great community
Customer Account Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 5, 2018
Typically it involves troubleshooting, billing, de-escalating irate customers, trying to sell products, and multitasking. Advising customers of what we are able to do for them.
The only people I respect are the owners
Lead/ digital support specialist (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORNovember 2, 2018
The company meetings, lunches, health care, etc do not make up for their poor management and attendance policy. Supervisors are allowed to go to jail for 3 months at a time and get their job and position back as soon as they’re out yet regular employees are given an oncurrance or terminated for being more than 3 minutes late to their shift. Consumer cellular turn over rate is so high because of this. You are not valued and are looked at as a statistic and will be replaced as soon as they get the chance. I suggest applying elsewhere from someone who worked here for more than a year and continuously met all their stats and goals on a month to month basis.
Pros
Decent pay once you move up. Free health care
Cons
Supervisors will be unapproachable and will rarely have an answer for your questions
Decent place to work
Representative (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORNovember 1, 2018
Decent place to work. Consumer cellular does not except doctor note’s and has a high attendance expectation. Loved being there and being on the phone. The best part was when I was able to change something positive for the customer like fixing there phone or making there bill cheaper
From my point of view
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Tempe ArizonaOctober 29, 2018
it was okay working there nothing special nothing to get excited over or to feel that you will be there for a long time they claim they care about people and company but really don't
Pros
free things they give to us
Cons
the supervisors
They fired me and knew I was homeless. Heartless cut-throat company with ignorant management, temps for supervisors. People that know nothing.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 26, 2018
Benefits were ok if you can stick around for 3 months to get them, out of my entire training class only 3 people got to keep their job (~35 people), as a software developer I didn't fit in here much. I was smarter than mostly everyone I encountered at this job and couldn't find anyone to match my information on telecommunications, not even a manager or a trainer. I taught some of the trainers a lot of information.
Pros
good incentives if you can stick it out passed 3 months
Cons
impossible to reach the incentives, heartless company knew i was homeless and I'm overqualified for this job.
Not all the same
Coach/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 11, 2018
Consumer Cellular has 3 sites in Arizona. They are not all the same. The newest site phoenix 3 is perhaps the best of the three, because they have contact center managers who appreciate and understand that we are humans and things happen that we don't have control over. The other sites though the job function is the same they do not value employees and their zero flexability for any time missed outside of the allowed time bring very poor culture to the company as the reps do not feel valued.
Pros
Ability to promote, company luncheons, and some solid supervisors
They have basketball hoops
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 9, 2018
It's a phone company that provides cell phone service. The supervisor sometimes don't know what they're doing or talking about. The bathrooms always smells.
Pros
they do provide lunches and giveaways
Cons
it seems to me that they no longer care about us employees
productive and fun workplace
Shipping Representative (Former Employee) –  Tigard, OROctober 8, 2018
If your able to sit or stand for long periods of time, doing the type of work they need then this is good job. Most of this a detail oriented job, which can take up most of your speed.
Pros
Friendly management, as well as fair.
Cons
lack of movmet
Good Company For Motivated Individuals
Collector I (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORSeptember 21, 2018
I like working for Consumer Cellular. I feel that they recognize and promote the exceptional, and leave the unmotivated or corner cutters where they are until they find an excuse to let them go. If you want to move up, and you show them that, they will give you the opportunity to do so. They will also listen to your ideas for improving the company and the way things are done. They don’t want to listen to a barrage of complaints about the customers or the phones.
The attendance policy is only “strict” if you’re a person who believes driving into the parking lot at your start time is an acceptable practice. Show up on time, on a consistent basis, and you won’t have a problem.
Overall, Consumer Cellular is a pretty good place to work, though some customers can get out of hand.
Pros
Employee luncheons, promotions, performance bonuses, clear communication about performance, fun staff, long breaks, free health care, ongoing training and coaching
Cons
Cheap headsets, abusive customers, high school environment
Fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 17, 2018
Policy is strict with breaks and also attendance, the pay is awesome as well as the benefits that are offered as an employee great staff an great people to meet as your team that you are assigned to. Metrics are easy to meet a very relaxed job sometimes busy.
Pros
Inbound calling
Cons
Poor policy.
Great Owners
Retrurns Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORSeptember 17, 2018
It was a great place to work at because of the owners giving back to the community and its workers.
But the management in the Warehouse was horrible..
Pros
Free Lunches, owners gave back to the community
Cons
Terrible Management
Easy going, goal oriented place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORSeptember 13, 2018
I loved my schedule. The company had a great incentive program. Management cared for the well being and happiness of their employees. Only hard thing about this job would be the strict attendance policy considering I lived almost 30 minutes away
Pros
Appreciation luncheons, potlucks, sales incentives, optional overtimes
Cons
strict attendance policy
Customer Assistance Associate
Customer Assistance Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 11, 2018
As I loved my job and improved pay with CCI. It became apparent that you are only as successful as how competent and trustworthy your direct supervisor is.
Pros
Pay was really decent and I enjoyed the luncheons and events.
Cons
Their standards for metrics is unfair and makes for a high stress environment.
Very productive with a pool table and recreation area
Customer Service Rep II (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORSeptember 5, 2018
• Receive incoming calls related to cell phone products, trouble shoot cell phone problems, take payments, sell new services and products, resolve customer complaints, provide excellent customer service and proper documentation. I learned that trying to tell someone how to operate a phone over the phone is very hard to do. I think the most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to help a customer understand something new that they were not able to understand earlier.
Pros
Very flexable schedule
Cons
Timed breaks and timed lunches.
Don't really like working here
Technical Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix ArizonaAugust 29, 2018
I ended up getting fired because my car broke down on the 60 and I was one hour late for work. I understand I was late for work but for them to have a zero acceptance policy it's completely impossible to work with
good environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 18, 2018
Working there was fun...good training...can always go to supvs for assistance...had to get models of phones to look at...none were available sometimes...good help though
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
people can be cut throats sometimes
Not a place if you have experience.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 18, 2018
Was not an enjoyable place to work for me, they also have a crazy attendance policy. Its great for a first job, but not really a career advancement for experienced people.
Lots of opportunity
Supervisor, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Redmond, ORAugust 7, 2018
I started out as a customer service representative and had the ability to move as high as I wanted to go. Only drawback is that overtime is not available to supervisory staff which means that you can, if you work overtime, make more money as a technical support supervisor or customer service representative.
Pros
Paid medical
Consumer Cellular
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORAugust 6, 2018
I loved working at consumer cellular. The Benefits are great! I've met great co workers. I only work here for 7 months and had to leave because I had to relocate.
Benefits
Cons
fast paced when hold times are high
Ok Training, Stiff Attendence Policy, but a fair employer
CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT Consumer Cellular (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 4, 2018
While Consumer cellular offers a decent pay scheme, and always wants to try and do things to show their employees that they appreciate them, there are things that you have to watch out for.

Stats are held in high regard, as is standard for most call centers, and call monitors can be failed for not mentioning a promotion or not saying you will assist a customer in a very specific way.

The attendance policy is both fair and very strict: During your first 8 weeks with the company you CAN NOT miss a single day. Your first week, you can't be more than 10 minutes late, and afterwards you can not be more than 4 hours late at any given time. After those weeks they allow days missed on an Occurrence system: up to 3 missed consecutive days can be 1 occurrence, less than two hours missed is 1/2 an occurrence. You can have 3 or less occurrences in a 90 day period, and no more than 9 in a 12 month period. Example: if you take 2 days off in September, then that counts as 1 occurrence, and will stick for an entire 12 months, though will not count against your 3 allowed after 90 days. This is why i say it is very fair. It is very strict in the sense that should you be at your maximum occurrence allowance, if you are 3 minutes late to work or back from any break, you will be let go immediately.

Work expectations can be stressful. As a call agent you are expected to do billing, technical support, and customer service as the day goes on, while contacting a minimum of ~52 customers in the day. (this is higher for higher position agents.) There are limited situations that the training
  more... prepares you for when it comes to dealing with strange issues, or upset customers. You are, to be quite frank, expected to deal with it as you go. Although many of your Support Specialists and Supervisors are more than willing to offer advice and run through the scenario with you in order to help you learn what you may need to in case that issue were to present itself again. To assist with the job, the company knowledge base can either be an amazing tool, or it can be practically useless very much depending on the situation and the issue that is being presented, especially if it is a phone that is not sold by the company.

The benefits are very nice, and there are monthly bonuses that are based on sales, as well as randomly announced bonuses by the owners, whom every employee gets a chance to meet and ask questions 2 times a year, typically in June and October. You may also see them during random employee events such as luncheons, which they hold quite often. As well as insurances for individuals and families, the company also offers disability insurance, life insurance, and now holiday pay.

I would very much enjoy working for the company again, as they do seem to take employee ideas and concerns very heavily into consideration, and are always trying to find ways to help the customer save money where they can.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Consumer Cellular. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about