Play YouTube video button

Consumer Cellular Employee Reviews

Featured review
Consumer Cellular selected this as a representative review
Great place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 25, 2018
It is a beautiful company one of the greatest I’ve ever worked for an amazing opportunity for any one who try’s it out hard to keep up with the flow but once you catch on your gold.
Not worth it
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORJanuary 8, 2019
They have a very high turnover. Out of a training class of 25+ after 6 months only 3 were still employed. Training is inadequate. Metrics are reasonable on paper, but there is such pressure put on graded calls and sales that you are in constant fear.

They offer PTO, but often you can't use it because--they say--that there is no coverage.

I was there for a year, got 2 promotions and was fired after having an off day and leaving a couple people on hold too long while trying to solve technical issues. I was suspended and then fired, even though I had never been talked to or written up for hold time issues. Even the State Employment Agency agreed with me that it was unfair.
Pros
High Pay, Good Benefits
Cons
Stressful, high pressure, they don't value employees as much as they claim
This is a difficult one...
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 7, 2019
On one hand I really enjoyed helping the elderly customers we dealt with but on the other the facility is a whole really didn't seem to take itself too seriously. Everything about it from the facility itself to the management was just extremely plain and generic. So their massive and well-known turnover rate doesn't surprise me at all. How many companies have two whole buildings that are almost completely empty yet they have new training classes weekly with 80+ trainees!? Many of which never make it to the floor or are cut loose before they even make an impact. I was actually the top rep on my team right out of the gate before they unceremoniously let me go so that says it all.
Pros
An easy product to sell and help customers with.
Cons
A terrible work culture which doesn't take its employees seriously at all.
Great Company
CUSTOMER SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORJanuary 5, 2019
I enjoyed working at Consumer Cellular. But I want to work part time and only full time is offered. They have a great culture and the pay and benefits are outstanding.
Pros
Pay, benefits, advancement opportunities, pay and benefits
Cons
very repetitive work, long shifts, stressful
Job is a joke
TEAM SUPPORT SPECIALIST/ LEAD (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORJuly 12, 2018
You have limited advancement for growth and a team full of people who don't believe in growing employees. They consistently talk about the culture and you cannot make human error without feeling "in trouble". Upper management is not involved until there is a huge issue or claims. Sick time is incredibly strict. There is no time off within the first 90 days - no exceptions (yeah, even if your kid is sick).
Pros
It's a job?
Cons
Going there every day.
Strict Metrics and Favoritism
Senior Customer Account Advisor (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORJune 25, 2018
A great job if you want to completely abandon your personality, and be treated like you're in elementary school. You only get a promotion if the higher-ups feel you love the company culture. Brown-nosing is the name of the game, so you're gonna have to learn to enjoy the smell of s#!t.

Pretty good pay for entry-level positions, though, and benefits. They still do pre-employment urinalysis too, so don't smoke beforehand.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Everything Else
Fun Place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORMay 22, 2018
Always talking to a different person, doing a different job on the account. Always able to learn about different phones and services. Management listens to calls to provide assistance when needed and praise when deserved. Keeping up with stats required can get stressful and creates a competitive workplace. Can be good if used for fun, or bad if the competition gets mean.
They fired me and knew I was homeless. Heartless cut-throat company with ignorant management, temps for supervisors. People that know nothing.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 26, 2018
Benefits were ok if you can stick around for 3 months to get them, out of my entire training class only 3 people got to keep their job (~35 people), as a software developer I didn't fit in here much. I was smarter than mostly everyone I encountered at this job and couldn't find anyone to match my information on telecommunications, not even a manager or a trainer. I taught some of the trainers a lot of information.
Pros
good incentives if you can stick it out passed 3 months
Cons
impossible to reach the incentives, heartless company knew i was homeless and I'm overqualified for this job.
The only people I respect are the owners
Lead/ digital support specialist (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORNovember 2, 2018
The company meetings, lunches, health care, etc do not make up for their poor management and attendance policy. Supervisors are allowed to go to jail for 3 months at a time and get their job and position back as soon as they’re out yet regular employees are given an oncurrance or terminated for being more than 3 minutes late to their shift. Consumer cellular turn over rate is so high because of this. You are not valued and are looked at as a statistic and will be replaced as soon as they get the chance. I suggest applying elsewhere from someone who worked here for more than a year and continuously met all their stats and goals on a month to month basis.
Pros
Decent pay once you move up. Free health care
Cons
Supervisors will be unapproachable and will rarely have an answer for your questions
This job is garbage
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 7, 2019
Worst job I’ve ever had our training class started with 60+ people only maybe 4 of us stayed in a 8 month period after training. I stayed with the company hoping things would improve NOPE. They lie about everything and can never give a clear answer to anything. All of my co workers would be always nervous of who would be getting fired next. When all of us where trying to keep our job they would find something to fire you for when the supervisor didn’t like you. Metrics are
Ridiculous for the pay, I had a supervisor give me 100% on a call but I only failed because I forgot to say “I’d be happy to help you with that” that one slip up cost me to get a failed call which results in a warning that could potentially get you fired. The customers are mean as heck and after handing 70 calls a day and each of them starting with “I’ve been on hold for 20 mins” etc as if we have control over that gets very old quick seriously this job is where souls come to die you couldn’t pay me enough to ever come back sorry not sorry sis.
Pros
Cons
Cool coworkers
Not all the same
Coach/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 11, 2018
Consumer Cellular has 3 sites in Arizona. They are not all the same. The newest site phoenix 3 is perhaps the best of the three, because they have contact center managers who appreciate and understand that we are humans and things happen that we don't have control over. The other sites though the job function is the same they do not value employees and their zero flexability for any time missed outside of the allowed time bring very poor culture to the company as the reps do not feel valued.
Pros
Ability to promote, company luncheons, and some solid supervisors
Good Company For Motivated Individuals
Collector I (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORSeptember 21, 2018
I like working for Consumer Cellular. I feel that they recognize and promote the exceptional, and leave the unmotivated or corner cutters where they are until they find an excuse to let them go. If you want to move up, and you show them that, they will give you the opportunity to do so. They will also listen to your ideas for improving the company and the way things are done. They don’t want to listen to a barrage of complaints about the customers or the phones.
The attendance policy is only “strict” if you’re a person who believes driving into the parking lot at your start time is an acceptable practice. Show up on time, on a consistent basis, and you won’t have a problem.
Overall, Consumer Cellular is a pretty good place to work, though some customers can get out of hand.
Pros
Employee luncheons, promotions, performance bonuses, clear communication about performance, fun staff, long breaks, free health care, ongoing training and coaching
Cons
Cheap headsets, abusive customers, high school environment
Needs improvement
Customer Account Advisor III (Current Employee) –  Redmond, ORDecember 15, 2018
Company needs to update management.
Values are not followed by onsite managers, but hourly employees are expect to follow strictly. There is no opportunity to share ideas for bettering the environment. Doing so, puts a target on your back.
Pros
Monthly bonus, flex days, time and 3/4 over 32 hrs.
Cons
HR does not impartially support employees, lack of communication with mgmt., no problem/solution process with employees
Good Company if you like sales, cell phones, and troubleshooting.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYDecember 23, 2018
Good company to work for, pay, benefits, excellent. Fast paced, stressful, working sales, troubl3shooting cell phone problems, keeping up stats. If you like working with cell phones and people that don't know how to use them, it's a great job.
Pros
Good Pay, Great Training
Cons
Limited to Cell Phones and I Pads.
Horrible company to work for
Customer Service Representative 1 (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 22, 2018
Lousy place to work, the company does not care about employees and will fire you on a moments notice.
Pay is a scam, they pay a low hourly rate, but make it sound like more by giving overtime after 32 hours, just keep in mind if there is a holiday you get paid for or you use your time off, that means you won't get the overtime unless you work an extra day because if you work your regular shift/days you won't work over 32 hours, then you only get the low hourly rate of $12 +/-.
I really liked the job in the beginning, but then their true colors came out, if you like being treated like trash, this is the place for you.
Consumer Cellular is really good at lies, and portraying themselves as a great company, but they say one thing and do another, trust no one in that company!!!
Repetitive
Aerotek Temp (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORNovember 27, 2018
It was doing the same thing every day scanning what the customers need and getting the item(s) that they ordered. They showed me how to do everything twice and once on my own and after one week they expected my outgoing order to be at the same as people 1 year experience at the company.
Pros
Lunch options available
Cons
Competitive
Stay out of the way
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORFebruary 22, 2018
The management has a set style of how they handle the workforce. Many times this runs counter to the principles which the owners have stated in how the company supposedly operates. These managers are a hold over from when the building was operated and then subsequently closed by T-Mobile. It's a shame that the owners of Consumer Cellular did not hire fresh management staff due to the narrow availability of qualified people, a huge error in my opinion. This has lead to a very high turnover rate among people hired, Less than 50% of those currently hired make it past one year and only 10-15% make it beyond three years. I'm firm believer that if a team is failing that the coach should be replaced. The managers would rather terminate good people than consider that a change in how they approach people might be the problem. The employees of this company could greatly benefit their position by organizing to create a common voice of the workforce. The pay, benefit and bonus structure have been put in place which makes hiring on very attractive. Many people can accept this dichotomy of culture, I could not.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
Lack of compassion towards the needs of the emlpyees
Back-to-back inbound calls, but relatively easy.
INBOUND SALES, CUSTOMER ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 9, 2018
Management is actually decent. They want their employees to learn and are more than willing to teach them. Environment is a typical call center, but it's a positive one at that. People are friendly and helpful, even upper management. Overtime starts at 32 hours.
Calls are constant, but job is easy to be honest. The only downfall is compensation for the price of living for a single parent. It's just not enough to survive comfortably.
Pros
People, Hours, Overtime
Cons
Compensation
Easy going, goal oriented place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORSeptember 13, 2018
I loved my schedule. The company had a great incentive program. Management cared for the well being and happiness of their employees. Only hard thing about this job would be the strict attendance policy considering I lived almost 30 minutes away
Pros
Appreciation luncheons, potlucks, sales incentives, optional overtimes
Cons
strict attendance policy
Pros and Cons like any job, benefits are A+
CUSTOMER ACCOUNT ADVOCATE 1 (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 18, 2018
Actually pretty decent job for someone who didn't attend/finish college. Benefits are super and work culture is pretty interesting as the company is always doing something weekly to keep up morale. Downside is the Metrics where you have to have at least 5.25 calls per hour and if you don't, after a few months you face possible termination. I really think they should be more leinient on the CPH, like maintaining 4.75 CPH after training for the first 3 months would allow the company to retain more, hard working, great with the customer account advocates.
Okay
CAA (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 20, 2018
I really liked this job. I was willing to deal with the $12 an hour for 32 hours and then overtime. I get why they did it so people wouldn't call in sick. Training was fast and helpful. But in my 5th week my teenager had an allergic reaction and was in the hospital with eyes swollen shut and her throat had closed. I called to let work know what was happening and was told I was terminated for attendance. ANY PARENT would be at their child's bedside during this. I explained the situation to HR and still was told too bad. My coworkers were amazing, the job itself easy to do if you have any sort of customer service skill. Wish I could have kept the job but jobs are replaceable. My child is not. If I had a way to contact the owners about it I would.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Consumer Cellular. Our community is ready to answer.