CONTINENTAL CARBON Employee Reviews

Slow paced, figure it out yourself attitude in CoGen department
Co-gen Power Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Ponca City, OKApril 20, 2019
Working in the CoGen department is difficult. The structure and hierarchy are not implemented and if you come up with ideas your told just to implement them yourself.
a tpical day of work
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Phenix City, ALNovember 4, 2018
work in lab its dirty work some time work out side rain or hot.. company benefits is no good insurance is high .lab supervisor is good person .good coworker except one lady in lab . because of her behavior lot of lab techs quit the job.
I was a electrical and instrunmentatin Tech
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Phenix City, ALSeptember 14, 2018
Continental gave me the first opportunities to be a Instrument and Control Tech. They were also the first company to invest in my career to make me a better man.
Pros
Opportunitiy to learn a new skill
Cons
Dirty work enviornment
Extremely dirty
Former operator (Former Employee) –  Ponca City, OKJuly 24, 2018
Safety is non existent with this company. Everyday you get completely black because most of the time nothing works right. They will tell you the black is not harmful but when inhaled you cant breath and most of the time you cough till you throw up. I would rather slide down a razor blade than step one foot into this plant
Pros
Non
Cons
Unless your from the area or extremely desperate don’t bother.
Cogen operator (Former Employee) –  Ponca City, OKMay 3, 2018
Insurance is insanely high. If you are married with kids your insurance will be about $650 a month or $325 a pay check. They won’t tell you that however, they say “we have excellent benefits and we cover 75% of your medical insurance!” Which if you don’t know any better it sounds like it might be good, it’s not.

They are building a new power plant and they’ll tell you they are excited to bring the best people they can so we can build this plant “together” and “make it our own”. In reality they will pretty much take anyone with a pulse that’s willing to live in Ponca city, ok.

They’ll also tell you about the 7 on/off schedule they will have. Even though every other plant they have is 8 hr rotating shifts some how we’re going to be special and get 12hr 7on/off. And when you ask about it, they’ll change the subject quick or give the political answer and not really answer the question at all, leaving you more confused.

Everyone here is looking for somewhere else to go.

Pay is ok for the area but zero overtime and Monday thru Friday shifts is not what control room and power plant operators sign up for. You’ll be lucky to make $60k a year.
Pros
Supervisor is cool
Cons
Insurance, Hr, Ot, and 40hrs a week
Great Place to work
Co-gen Operator (Current Employee) –  Ponca City, OKFebruary 27, 2018
• Boiler operations
• Water Purification
• Power generation
• Commission and start up of new Co-gen steam and power plant
• Creating new work flow diagrams
• Creating plant operating procedures.
• Creating lock out tag out procedures.
• Creating safety and emergency response plans
Horrible management, No Safety, Unsafe work culture
Electrical/I&E Project manager, (Current Employee) –  Ponca City, OKJanuary 22, 2018
Plant manager is on a power trip. Doesn't care about employees safety. Safety issues, incidents not reported. No electrical safety standard/ protocol. Plant manager changes employees job criteria to suit his needs without compensation.
Pros
Cons
everything
no ping pong table
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Ponca City, OKSeptember 19, 2017
It was a decent place to work, i got a little better job offer so i accepted. The hardest past of the job was always out doors being around chemicals, didn't effect me but i could see where it might to others.
Typical corporate job
Invoicing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 9, 2017
Excellent corporate job, not stressful, very comfortable environment with friendly employees and management. Carbon Black corporation with several locations.
was a great place to work
Operator (Current Employee) –  Ponca City, OKMay 18, 2017
this was a good place to work. with all the changes that have and are going on in this work place have made it less than ideal to work at or want to move up
Full Time with some Advancement Opportunities
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Ponca City, OKMarch 25, 2017
A busy environment that requires some critical thinking. Advancement opportunities available to the right person.
It's a mans world environment.
The hardest part of the job the schedule and rotating shifts.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Rotating shifts, Dirty environment
Great Atmosphere, very dirty work
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Phenix City, ALFebruary 7, 2017
Very dirty and hard work, work outside in the elements year round no matter if there were holiday. The people there were union so a lot of things were handled at the job with a mediator.
Terrible
Shipper (Former Employee) –  Ponca City, OKNovember 16, 2016
Would rather be beat to death with a hammer than ever go back to that place. Worked almost every weekend. Early in or stay late. And the only thing important there is how much more can they push you until you snap and when you do your gone. On to find the next victim.
No extra curriclar activities
Mixer (Former Employee) –  Phenix City, ALApril 10, 2016
Watching the machine while it mix up chemicals. Learned how to mix up chemicals. Management was ok. Enjoyed working with my coworkers. There was nothing hard about the job. Learning new things.
Pros
No free lunches
Cons
No healthcare due to being temporary
Interesting study
Technologist - Research & Development Departments (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2015
A typical day at work? Not on your life! There is so much that changes day to day, that one does not have a typical day...and quite frankly, I love it! You can't be bored when there is a new piece of technology to be tested, or a problem solved for a customer, or using your knowledge to improve a system in your work place.
When I came on board, I had already been soaking up the extensive lab and technical expertise around me. I was assigned tasks and left to get to it! Management seems to approve of my work ethic and get it done attitude. Quite a few improvements have been made based on my observations and experience.
The hardest part of this job is knowing that all of my technical experience is not appreciated outside of this lab, but I am good with it because I know that I am getting the analysis out to our customers with real feedback that is making a difference.
Pros
I get in early to work and leave earlier than most.....
Cons
one of the longest commutes I have ever had......
very good job and benefits
shipper (Former Employee) –  sunray,txSeptember 25, 2014
wish i could of stayed longer, looking to find a place to accomplish goals and for good place to retire

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CONTINENTAL CARBON. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9