Continental Expedited Services

Working at Continental Expedited Services: 16 Reviews

United States16 reviews

Great pay. Good dispatch. Great miles

Worked there for two years. I was a team driver. The truck averaged 6000-7000 miles per week. Pay was average,combined, 2800-3300 NET! (Per week) Equipment was a 13spd manual, 2019 western star 5700XE. If ANYTHING went wrong, continental fixed it immediately, no matter where you are...and with brand new replacements parts. We drive about 3 weeks, and would stay home 1 week to 1.5 weeks, with no issue. Dispatch was very good at keeping you rolling, and never made you feel as if you are bothering them. I would highly recommend anyone to the company, as a driver.

A good company to work for, not perfect, but I enjoyed it.

Worked for this company for 7 years, I grew with the company, started as a nightshift dispatcher and ended as operations manager in dayshift. I saw growth, I had support from the owner (Who I really appreciate) and I felt I fit in the company very well, got along with everybody in there, at least that's how I felt. It is not the perfect company, the hours you put in are way over average and sometimes you have to work weekends on top of that, it's hard to maintain life-work balance, but if you want to make money, this is the place. There is not much harmony in the workplace due to the nature of the job, and dealing with customers/carriers/drivers but I'm 100% sure management wants to constantly make it better and sometimes it takes a minute to make changes in the company, as its culture is very strong.I do recommend working for this company and I know lots and lots of people who worked here, quit and 2 months later wanted to come back, I would say that talks for itself. Ivan.

Pros

Support, Family, Money

Cons

Work hours.

Continental Expedited Services insights

Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Time and location flexibility

Should be a nomination to BEST PLACE to WORK

Excelent and flexible work environment, collaborative and passionate work culture. Great communication with all the team members!!

In need of a morale booster shot

This is a learning opportunity about how does expedite shipment management works and it allows you to sharpen your multitasking skills, however as the company usually runs understaffed it can get really stressful on the day-to-day operations.Continental struggles to keep people in the company, as dispatchers keep getting burned out. This is no surprise as you get to work through most holidays, you work 12-hour shifts on the weekends and there are no breaks which end up draining you mentally and physically. Morale is really low as management usually doesn't honor promises and there are no incentives to grow your career at Continental.

Pros

Drivers are nice people, Free doughnuts every once in a while

Cons

No feedback, Little to no growth, No breaks, Dirty offices, Racism

The land of the broken promises

Morale runs very low, as when dispatchers have tried to address issues with management they usually take it as a joke. Unfortunately, promises about raises or bonuses are often broken and there is no respect shown from upper management towards their dispatchers. Additionally, the company doesn't give its dispatchers the proper tools to get the job done as their emails, phones, and internet are constantly down. Continental needs to improve their working conditions as dispatchers constantly get burned out for working 10-hour shifts with no breaks, their weekend shifts are a big factor that contributes to their high turnover since people get exhausted and as they are constantly understaffed you're expected to carry out the duties of 2 to 3 people.

Pros

Good company drivers and health insurance

Cons

No growth, No periodic feedback, No breaks, Dirty bathrooms and offices, Racism

Sinking ship

Upper management is constantly trying to save money off employees. There was a time when several dispatchers had broken chairs, unreliable phones, and slow computers, and when these issues were discussed with upper management to address them, their solution was to have a rock scissor competition in which the winner would be the only employee to get a decent chair, phone, and computer. Expect to have nonworking bathrooms, have broken promises about raises, and continuously run operations understaffed due to high employee turnover. There is a lot of favoritism, as some employees will be able to disappear for hours without working while the rest would be scolded by having occasional short breaks, some employees are allowed by upper management to take unlimited time off while others will have a hard time getting their vacation days approved.

Pros

Health, dental and life insurance

Cons

No breaks, No flexibility, No growth, Racism

Free donuts doesn't necessarily mean happy employees

Continental would go a long way if it understood that to reduce the high turnover of dispatchers, the solution is not just giving them every once in a while free donuts, it is to start treating their dispatchers as assets, not liabilities. The company should start treating their employees with respect and dignity just as dispatchers treat Continental's customers, the company should listen to their needs just as their employees listen to the feedback that is given to them, and they should be flexible with the needs of their employees just as they are expected to be flexible while working on the weekends and holidays.

Pros

Hardworking dispatchers and company drivers

Cons

No periodic feedback, No flexibility, No breaks, Long shifts, Dirty offices

Company with no sense of direction

They like to refer to their employees as family, however, employee needs often get ignored by upper management, and promises are often broken. There is favoritism and almost no flexibility, which is one of the reasons they have high employee turnover, as team members don't feel valued in the company and employees are constantly burned out. The company has growth potential, however, middle management can't really make any decisions since all the calls are made from the top without considering the input from middle management or the operations team. No significant improvement has been achieved in the company since goals are often missed and it feels like not everyone in management is on the same boat.

Pros

Health insurance

Cons

Almost no holidays other than Christmas and New Year's eve, No career growth, Unsanitary offices, Racism, Poor working conditions

Great company,

Hard working people who tend to look out for one another, You are never a number here its always by name. Very family oriented and go out of the way to make things happen. Been here over a yr. and am extremely happy.

Pros

great people, awesome owner, they look out for their people

Cons

no 401k

Ma agement sides with dispatchers

If you run local for them you will be abused. On call day or night. Parking lot is poorly lit at night. Very hard to negotiate. They don't even have a garage to work on the trucks in. Parking lot is it. Many foreign dispatchers.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Continental Expedited Services?

Account Manager

I trained for about a month before I started. It was pretty overwhelming at first but with practice it comes. It just takes time to learn the ins and outs of what they do. It is very different from other transportation, but I love it. The team is super cool and so are most of the drivers. It can be stressful and challenging, but with great pay and a 401k and benefits I feel pretty lucky to have landed here.

Pros

Great pay and benefits

Cons

Challenging and stressful at times

Maintence

Continetal would be a great company if they would just implement a professional maintence program. My experiance while working there was it was like pulling teeth to get the equipment repaired and the lack of trained people to handle problems 24/7 trucking isn't a 8 to 5 job or even a 12 to 9 job. The equipment is not team trucks but they like to say they are. The purchaser needs to reconsider the thoughts on the interior and the style of trucks they are purchasing. Above is just my opinion

Pros

Pay

Cons

Lack of solid maintence program

Great company,

Pros

great people, awesome owner, they look out for their people

Cons

no 401k

Work hard, but get paid very well

Had a great time there. Worked with an awesome team to find solutions from customers and keep trucks moving. A very energetic and positive place. Worked long hours and was stressful at times, but with the salary plus bonuses made more than I could anywhere else.

Previous review redundancy

Already Reviewed in previous employment. Could not really say much more here.

Very good company to work for

Company will give you the miles and really family orientated

Common questions about Continental Expedited Services

Answered by current and former employees at Continental Expedited Services

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Continental Expedited Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits