Contra Costa ARC

Contra Costa ARC Employee Reviews

Helping people is always good
At times was a great place to work. Working with disabled adults can be rewarding and challenging at the same time. Due to low staffing and unfortunate change in management things became less about clients progression to independence and more about popularity and who was willing to hang out with the supervisor after hours while doing “favors” during business hours. Not my forte. The clients deserve better structure and unfortunately until the pay is commensurate to the cost of living, favoritism ceases and common sense takes precedence, I truly have concern for the care of the participants.
Pros
Community based, helping people is always rewarding
Cons
No breaks. Low pay. Advancement based on friendship not working knowledge or ability
Management is horrible, little pay, a lot of work
The work load is insane. "Rules" change every week, and are subject to change depending on what mood your manager is. If you want to advance you will have to be "buddies" with the manager and agree with everything no matter how idiotic it is. Working here will drain you physically and mentally. Unfortunately it's not even the participants, it's the management.
I love working with the clients, it so rewarding.The job itself has potential but the politics and favoritism makes the job a terrible experience.
A good learning experience, fun and satisfying.Bad management and the culture is terrible, if you don't fit in or like being a snitch you're time there will be miserable.
Great place to gain experience but a lot of work
This could have been a great job but they are super understaffed and to compensate they use volunteers who don’t have much experience so all of the work falls on the teacher.
productive and fun
I learned alot working as a program manager. The job was fun but the pay was not much especially the job tasks we did were very intense and you would have to have experience taking care of adults with disabilities.
Pros
Great job experience!
Cons
low salary
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
duties
I really enjoy my time here, this is a job where one can stay and grow within. Staff and participants are helpful in making the job less stressful. Each work day is different in a positive way and allows one to constantly grow and learn.
Rewarding job but low pay.
Job is very rewarding working with people with mental problems but pay is very low. This isn't the kind of job that can be your primary source of income most of my co workers had side jobs. Management is very understanding but at times show favoritism to the people who have worked their longer. Some instructor 2 forget that they aren't management.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Low pay
Very fulfilling job
I very much enjoy working with the disabled community. The participants are always cheerful and uplifting. Very clean workplace. The pay is not competitive, but the job is rewarding.
Great place to work at.
It is an environment where a person can get positive exposure to social programs as well as the medical field. Management is accessible and are helpful.
Pros
Great benefit opportunities to both part-time and full-time employees.
One of my favorite jobs
I loved working for this company. the only downfalls where the pay and the job security once school districts started getting our referrals.
Pros
Children and co-workers
Cons
pay and job security
The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching and working with the participants. I learned how to manage the behaviors of some of the participants I worked with. A typical day at work is usually a busy day. My coworkers are very hardworking and keep busy every time we are working with the participants.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
low pay for tough workload
Making a real difference
I woke up everyday excited to go to work. I loved helping my consumers learn and grow. I enjoyed swim therapy and saw first hand how much it benefited the consumers. The management truly cares about their employees and wants to see them grow.
Pros
Great hours
A great place to work with wonderful participants.
My job is never boring and varies day to day. I work in beautiful surroundings with a wonderful staff and wonderful participants.
Pros
Wonderful staff and particpants
Cons
Dealing with group homes
I enjoy with the participants, learing things from them and teaching them new things
Great experience, now I'm ready to explore different places
Caregiver
This job is alot of work i learned alot working in a different setting with coworkers and clients Our director is very good and knows her job coworkers are ok the hardest park of the job is there is not alot of communcation but i love the clients
Every day was a different challange which I enjoyed
Worked with developmentally disabled adults with job coaching, self advocacy and community integration. Set individual goals which were consumer based and helped the consumers learn bus routes, cooking skills, etc. The day was always changing and the best part of working for ARC was the pride and appreciation when someone met their goals.Participated in family meetings and performed data calculations based on performance
A non profit, Contra Costa ARC is a really good agency
There are a lot of opportunities to move around within the agency, but not much for advancement.
The hours are fantastic, especially if you have school age children, which I did when hired.

The benefits are very good, and after 5 years 12.5 hours of vacation per month is a really nice perk.
Pros
Work hours, 8am-3:30 pm
Cons
Non profit budget, low pay
I love my job. I just wish they were able to pay more and had more opportunities for advancement
Fun busy workplace full of life
Overall nice Day program. Your out in the community doing volunteer work, and serving the participants at the same time.
Pros
out in the community
Cons
can only buy lunches fridays