Contra Costa Community College District

What people like
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Some good people but finger pointing culture and bureaucracy create negative environment.

As a product of the community college system, the opportunity to serve students is the most appealing part of the job. The culture of blaming others rather than taking responsibility or initiative makes it a difficult place to get excited to work. There is high turnover in important leadership positions which leads to frequent changing of priorities.

Pros

Serve students, excellent benefits and PTO

Cons

Blame culture, bureaucracy, leadership turnover

Nice Start for a Community College Student

I worked for the Contra Costa Community College District while I was a student. It was my very first job and a great first experience. The person who managed me was very kind, helpful, and understand. It paid minimum wage but I guess that's reasonable for a full-time student straight out of high school.

Productive and fun workplace

I never regretted it. My typical workday started at about 8am and ended at 430pm. I was an intern for the office for a whole semester. During the internship I was able to build new skills and better the old ones. There was something new to learn everyday

Pros

Nice management crew

Ccc

Ive worked LMC, DVC, SRC and CCC and the work as well as the people are awesome id love to go back and work there again soon. they teach you well as give you space and time to learn

Great spot to start or retire

Good school district with a wide array of subjects, schools are renovated and well kept. school supplies and teaching staff are some of the best I have been around.

Job seekers rely on your experience.

relaxing atmosphere

The hardest part would have to have to make the first move when asking a student if they needed help. I liked being able to work at my own pace and going around helping students with their work.

Management is poor, classified staff overworked

management treats classified staff unfairly, no room for advancement, especially for those of color, many departments do not want to work with diversity and so limit the amount of time “minorities” can work with them even if they are great workers, and a lot of times some of us work many hours we do not get paid or recognized for.

Pros

beautiful campus and the students

Cons

management and lack of diversity on most campuses

Learning Opportunity

This was a opportunity to learn and grow as a technician and a person. I was given the opportunity to learn at my own pace and be included in projects that were priority enough to learn how to work under pressure and with restrictions.

Pros

Great entry level job

Cons

Management styles not conducive to long term employment

Great experience

Great job for the experience. I learned a lot but decided to move on with my life. Helped me better understand the relationship between Police Officeds and the community

Pros

Talking and getting to know people

Cons

Little pay

Stepping Stone

A typical shift begins with a quick briefing what happened within the last shift. My shift would be from 1730 hrs to 2230 hrs. The majority of the shift consist of foot patrolling the college campus answering questions from students about citation and or giving directions to locations around campus. Working the night shift we were responsible for taking down the flag at dusk, responding to an occasional emergencies with officers, citing vehicles in violation, providing escorts to officials and most importantly locking down to school every night. I have learned a lot working as a police aide. I enjoy working here but the management could be far better.

Pros

great co-workers

Cons

poor management

Front desk student job

I had a student job at the Contra Costa College gym, which was fairly easy. I met new people, learned about the gym machines, ensured students all paper (gym) work was done. Fairly easy.

Stressful, underpaid

Harassment is rampant, management treats classified staff unfairly, no room for advancement, due to union bad employees can NOT be fired. Overall, terrible place to work.

Pros

students

Cons

everything but the benefits

Busy place, but can be nice

I love my work and staff members but management leaves much to be desired. Here I have learned to just do my job and not to offer any recommendations, management is not interested. My co-workers are great and I enjoy working with them. There is no overtime here, which is nice but when one is overloaded and still expected to get the work done in 8 hours it is stressful and breaks are omitted to keep your job. The hardest part of the job is just trying to survive each day.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Management lakes people skills, and they don't listen.

Contra Costa Community College District

Work is not the problem, I have enough to do and I like the people I work with but management is not healthy or supportive. I work in the payroll department and it is very fast paced, we process 5 payrolls a month. The good think is there is no overtime and we get 2 weeks off at Christmas time. I enjoy working with the people in my department, we truly are a team. Management is not supportive and they make the environment unhealthy and there the job becomes unbearable.

It was a fun place to work where I was able to get school district experience.

I had the pleasure of doing in house payroll with many co-workers that I enjoyed working with. This experience further my payroll career. My commute was 15 minutes to and from Martinez.

Good learning environment a lot of Independent work

Good Work Place can possibly grow. Nice lunch break and benefits. Managed 15 different Science lab sections prepping labs and teaching subordinates about safety and lab etiquette as well as setup and prepare lab experiments.

benefits

Cons

safety

Great place to work for

A typical day at work is dealing with staff and different problems that arise during installation of new software or transferring of information from the Department of Education

Pros

great benefits, environment and people

Cons

budget is getting cut and people bein laid off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Contra Costa Community College District. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Contra Costa Community College District