Contra Costa County Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
California (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 12, 2019
A fun place to work, everyone is so easy to get along with, make you feel like you've been there forever, from day one. Great place to work. Management always making sure we have everything we need to complete a job. Quite caring.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Miss the work, hated the employer
Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAMarch 11, 2019
I loved being a probation officer but working for this county was a mistake. The pay is low relative to other counties and the benefits are expensive relative to other counties. The culture is very cover your butt and don’t tell anyone your business because no one trusts each other and there is not much teamwork. A common theme I saw was how someone can literally be stressed beyond belief and drowning in work and the person sitting next to them can have nothing to do and be bored and This is acceptable and no one says anything. I found that so terrible. I saw many good people quit and go to other counties. The leadership is white male conservative dominated and although women and minotities are in some management or supervisory roles they, unfortunately, do not set the tone on the department or make any major decisions. There are some nice people who work there but on the flip side I dealt with several of the rudest, meanest, most abusive people there that I have ever met in my life. The systems are embarrassingly outdated which caused a great deal of inefficiency. It is amazing that with today’s technology, this department is so far behind. They still have you write out your time cards. There is no telecommuniting, even for report writing jobs, they just don’t trust you enough or commit to work life balance. I would never recommend that anyone I really care about consider working there, there are better places for you to be. Believe me. Do your homework.
Pros
Working with probationers
Cons
Almost everything else
Contra Costa County provided me an excellent career.
Director of Administration (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAFebruary 27, 2019
Excellent career growth opportunities. My first job was as a Student Worker and my last job was in upper-management. Really enjoyed working in Public Sector. Great benefits too!
Productive and Professional Evironment
Bi-Lingual Social Services Worker (Current Employee) –  4545 Delta Fair Blvd. Antioch, CA. 94509January 30, 2019
I have worked for the Contra Costa County for almost 20 years, I am one of the Senior Social Services Worker and I provide Services to the community. Medi-Cal, CalWORKs and Food Stamps. Is a job that brings both Services and Help for families in need. Very rewarding Job.
Pros
No Comment
Cons
No Comment
horrible toxic management
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Richmond, CAJanuary 29, 2019
You do not want to work here! While I knew going into my job here as social worker the pay and benefits were subpar compared to other counties it is the horrible management that makes the place so bad. While most of the sups. in my unit are ok, there are a couple really bad ones that the DM/Ice queen that oversees the sups. tolerates as long as they pay her the proper deference she demands. These bad egg sups, churn through social workers and staff like a meat grinder with no consequences to their actions. The result is a toxic, low morale, oppressive environment with high turnover. .
Pros
living wage, nice pension
Cons
entrenched, entitled, toxic management
management is just awful
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Martinez, CAJanuary 22, 2019
I see a common theme in the county is lazy employees and terrible management...usually on an ego trip, but also lazy. No support, actual bullying and harassing. Employees acting like children and running to managers to tattle tale. Behavior enforced in all directions. Pathetic.
Fast paced environment
IT Help Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CADecember 31, 2018
Working there required the ability to focus and multi task on various levels. It also required being a good listener,understanding the caller's concerns and finding solutions that work over plausible fixes. All solutions were documented and any task not readily fixed was escalated to a more experience field technician. Remote assistance was used as well as asking specific question on the caller's presumption of their issue.
Pros
Gained valuable experience on mulitple software systems
Cons
IT Help Desk positions are on an interim basis through temp agencies
typical government office work
Information Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CADecember 3, 2018
Lots of procedures and little innovation. Staff has no power or incentive to improve processes. Pay is not competitive for industry standards. Entrenched employees resist change.
Pros
Stable environment
Cons
Lack of training and leadership
Great place to work with great people
Senior Level Clerk (Current Employee) –  Concord, CANovember 29, 2018
Contra Costa County is a great company to work for, they provide good benefits and a safe work environment. All departments have a great staff and are very accommodating when something is needed.
Good Place to work
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CANovember 24, 2018
Slow-paced working environment. A lot of training and structure. Has a very diverse work culture...Chould upgrade some of their equipment for faster production of work.
Pros
Good training provided for new hires
Cons
Slow paced, non competitive
Contra Costa County falls within the range of competitiveness with other Bay Area Counties
Social Worker II/III (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CANovember 16, 2018
Contra Costa County Children Services is an extremely fast-paced work environment where all staff are dealing with very sensitive, and in many cases, possible life-threatening situations. Generally, staff and management are dedicated to the mission of making sure that families and children are accorded due dignity and worth as they work along with them to solve and/or mitigate the circumstances that caused them to come into the child welfare system.
Pros
A livable wage and benefits
Cons
high caseloads and excessive travel
Not what I exspected
Eligibility Worker I (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 6, 2018
Started working there as a temp and the position that they offered me was not what I expected. Thought the position was going to be face to face it was all call center work.
Pros
pay
great co workers, management is nice, nurses are great
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Martinez, CAOctober 29, 2018
I finally found a great team to work with! Everyone at county is down to earth and friendly. Relaxed atmosphere. Patients can be scary at times, just keep your head low and show them respect. Inmates and 5150 patients are here on a daily basis but the deputy watching the inmates are very nice, protective and helpful of the medical staff. Psych nurses are a little too laid back though, wish they looked more confident at times. Some psych nurses are great, others, not so much. Remodeled cafeteria serves delicious food and starbucks coffee and espresso machine. Employees get discounts and also free meals when working OT. OT hours are in abundance at county due to co workers constantly using their sick hours, so if you need extra dough there's always hours available to pick up!
Pros
nice collegues and management
Cons
difficult patients and co workers calling out often.
Its a good place to work
Clerk Specialist Level (Current Employee) –  Antioch, CAOctober 25, 2018
Ive worked for County for many years. Its a relaxed place to work but no room for advancement, and when there is an opportunity to advance the internal politics prevent you from advancing. Its not what you know its who you know.
Pros
location
Cons
pay, lack of raises, constant retirement and health care costs increases, management
Great training and support
Authorization Representative (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAOctober 11, 2018
I received extensive training that prepared me for the job duties I was expected to perform. I cannot emphasize enough how thorough the training was and the style of teaching allowed everyone to learn.
Pros
Great work environment and training
This was a great job.
Community Support Worker II (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAOctober 4, 2018
This was a great job and I miss it very much I had the pleasure of working with a great group of people and a great client base. The job definitely made it possible to make an adequate living in today"s economy.
Pros
Great people to work with, and great clients.
Cons
none really to spaek of except iy was rather sedentary.
Okay Place to Work
HUMAN RESOURCE SYSTEMS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Martinez, CAOctober 3, 2018
I enjoyed working there. Management was average. Contra Costa is very generous with their employee benefits (i.e. vacation days, health subsidies, etc).
Supportive management
Social services program assistant (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CASeptember 13, 2018
Customer service , good team work, workplace very relaxing, management supports others to promote, Customers are very easy to help. Supportive staff and management work well together.
Pros
customer service
Cons
mot enough line workers
Workplace culture
Assistant Appraiser (Current Employee) –  Martinez, CAAugust 28, 2018
In general, the workplace culture is very laid back. Significant training is received prior to starting work. Little to no "micro-managing," employees drive their own work.
helped search for work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CAAugust 22, 2018
lead to full time job searching- just a temporary program requirement work in order to have medical, financial assistance from county
we needed to have full time job to meet county's financial requirement for financial assistance.
Pros
search work
Cons
low wage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Contra Costa County. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight