Contra Costa County Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
The management system is opportunistic
LVN (Current Employee) –  Martinez, CAJuly 6, 2018
The working environment can be toxic due to mismanagement or pure absenteeism of management. There is not enough accountability at the management level. As a result, the environment is subject to day to day high school antics. The focus is and should always be the patients, but it truly depends on the manager's agenda within a certain building or floor. Fortunately, there have been great experiences with some management and sadly, very opportunistic experiences with current management.
experience
Experienced Level Clerk (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAJune 8, 2018
I was able to gain all my clerical experience. This passion tout me how to run background checks through the DOJ, FBI system and inter case work into the computer for the Early Fraud Investigators.
Learned to work in HR environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAJune 6, 2018
Worked my typical 8 hour day. Management was good to me. It was not a stressful work environment. I learned the HR process, hiring process, and duties.
Great Benefits and Jobs Once you get in
IT Internship/ Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAJune 4, 2018
Contra Costa County can be an excellent job if you get tin with the right Position. I enjoy working here, I answer phones, create tickets, get to help fix issues, as well as provide customer service to those who need it
workplace culture
Payroll Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Martinez, CAJune 4, 2018
Work culture leaves a lot to be desired. Promotions should be made from within with training geared towards future goal of promoting promising workers.
Pros
More opportunities for training made available
Cons
compensation still low relevant to that of other counties
Great people to work with, never a DULL moment with the Contra Costa County
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAMay 16, 2018
My only complaint was the hours, time of day worked was Grave Yard. At that time my daughter was still in school and not driving just yet. Otherwise, i enjoyed my time with the County.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Hours worked
Summary
Alamo - Poll Worker (Former Employee) –  Blackhawk, CAApril 23, 2018
I only worked for the election day but after those twelve hours I learned that Contra Costa is very organized county that makes sure its employees are satisfied at their job.
I learned quite a lot in government financing for real estate
Supervisor Real Property Agent (Current Employee) –  Martinez, CAApril 17, 2018
I oversee 150+ leased properties within Contra Costa County and work with a leasing staff of 3 people. I have been able to purchase and sell properties for CCC. Completing a deal is a great experience.I have also learned a lot in construction management of real estate as I have many times been in a position to support the construction of new facilities and budget for new properties.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Slow business model, Too much red tape in government which slows down as process and costs more in tax payers money
N/a
CLERK-SENIOR LEVEL (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAApril 14, 2018
It's not the same equal rights anymore. Long timers like myself are being pushed out. So that they can hire new workers and offer them either high benefits or none at all.
Pros
I'm a vested employee.
Cons
High turn over
Decent place to work
Senior-Level Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CAApril 12, 2018
CC County is a decent place to start your career. It is very stable and they train you well. I have had a great experience with CC County. I would recommend working for them.
No communication, no management
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 9, 2018
I have never worked in a place that had such bad management and in my life I have worked in bad places. I'm invested so I endure the stupidity and poor communication. I think if they force the managers to take classes in management, advanced classes. It may be a start to establishing a good work environment. As for now they are like a bad cartoon that has people hitting each other and running around crazy. It's too bad because they pay well but the benefits are really expensive.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Really ignorant people
Don't work here
Health Planner Evaluator Level B (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAApril 2, 2018
This was a terrible place to work. The employees and management do not know how to control their emotions there is a lot of yelling and crying. My supervisor refused to allow me to take sick leave when I was sick and gave me my work tasks over the weekend. My supervisor refused to talk to me during work hours and always had me speak with the administrator instead herself. The hiring here is totally bogus and based on the "good old boy" philosophy where the staff is under qualified but know someone in the company.
In a busy work shift I had to walk all night to complete the task.
Stationary Engineer (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAMarch 28, 2018
In my opinion this company do not provide enough support to the engineer at night shift,which make difficult to solve problems to the customers,because I had to do everything myself, but at day shift is the opposite.
Pros
some time they provide free lunch
Very relaxed and comfortable environment
Information Systems Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Martinez, CAMarch 21, 2018
Great place to work. Lots of diversity which is great thing. Depending on the time of the year, it can get a busy, but that's always a good thing. I received great support and guidance from my manger. My overall opinion is that Contra Costa County is a great place to work. Great people, great culture and very relaxed and comfortable environment. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with such a dynamic group of people.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Healthcare
Management is a joke
Substance abuse counselor (Former Employee) –  MartinezMarch 16, 2018
It was a great place to work until you have a supervisor that micromanages you to the point I was having panic attacks at work. Management was sexist toward women, showed favortism. Un even work loads, discriminitory due to age. Most of my co-workers were the best part of my job, and the clients I worked with
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Micromanagement, incompatent management
Great Learning Experience
Registration clerk (Former Employee) –  San Pablo, CAMarch 4, 2018
Learned alot of computer skills and worked with a variety of Staff. Assisted in registering Patients before their appointments in a friendly and professional manner
Low staff retention
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Richmond, CAMarch 1, 2018
Contra Costa County used to be a great place to work. Then layoffs happened and management changed. Lots of micromanaging and very punitive. Staff retention is very low.
Work
Secretary-Journey Level (Current Employee) –  Martinez, CAFebruary 24, 2018
It depends on department you work for if you want a promotion. I have learned a lot working there since I have been in several departments since beginning position.
Contra Costa Health Services
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAFebruary 21, 2018
I worked in various positions throughout Contra Costa County in my 16 years with them. Care Coordinator was the position I enjoyed the most. I would still be there if my family had not relocated to Ohio.
It was a fun place to work
Seasonal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAFebruary 14, 2018
I was working a Seasonal Clerk for the Contra Costa County Department under Election Department. I worked there for about 5 years for the Election material preparation. I liked the job and I liked my manager over-there. I have no complain about his management.
Pros
Relaxed but lot to learn
Cons
Temporary job only.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Contra Costa County. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

4.6Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight