Play YouTube video button

Cook Children's Health Care System Employee Reviews

Cook Children
Patient Registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 14, 2018
Cook Children is a great place to work. The Culture is amazing and the staff is exceptional. The flexible work hours for a parttime job is amazing place.
N/a
Director, Research Operations (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 11, 2018
My medical director was not a very nice person. He felt superior and was very demeaning to the employees. The staff was was great to work with for the most part.
Family atmosphere
SENIOR UNIT SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Education and OncologyJuly 10, 2018
Challenging and fun at the same time. Loved being there, just needed a change.
Hours were long daily, but, the atmosphere was good for the soul. Many patients were very sick, so family atmosphere was good.
Pros
Family, fun
July 13, 2018

We want to thank you for being a part of Cook Children's! You were an integral part of helping our oncology patients. We hope your career path brings you back to Cook Children's!

Cook Children's Physician Network
LVN (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 24, 2018
My particular position was as a LVN/floor nurse in a primary care clinic (pediatrician). Cook genuinely cares about patients and employs the best nurses/doctors! I was very proud to work for them, and they are very respected in the DFW area. My schedule was M thru F, 8am to 5/6pm with rotating weekends. Floor nurses are permanently matched up one-on-one with a doctor, and triage nurses mostly answer incoming calls... Lots of responsibility, not much day-to-day variety, very fast paced and overwhelming at times, LOTS of vaccinations to give. It is hard work, but worth it!
Pros
Great atmosphere, wonderful doctors!
Cons
No nurse manager for months, constantly hear children crying, short staffed
July 2, 2018

Thank you for your work as a LVN in one of Cook Children's primary clinics! We value the hard work our LVNs do every day. We hope that you will consider us in your future career plans!

Great place
RN- Clinical Documentation Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 23, 2018
Cooks is a tremendous hospital with very caring staff and amazing physicians who go to great lengths to help save lives and care for children each day!
June 25, 2018

Thank you for being a part of the Cook Children's family! You help us care for our children by making sure we have the most accurate data for each of our patients. We appreciate all that you do!

Great Company
Patient Access Specialist II/Medical Records (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 5, 2018
Love the variety. No two days are the same. Helping kids to live a better life is the best. Worst part about the job is how slow insurance companies are to approve treatment.
June 11, 2018

Thank you for being a part of our Patient Registration team at Cook Children's! We are glad that you are helping us fulfill Our Promise to our patients!

Excellent Company
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 29, 2018
Cook Children's cares about their employees. They have excellent benefits and you can tell they value their employees. Best hospital I've ever worked for.
June 1, 2018

Thank you for being a part of our registration team at Cook Children's! You are the first impression that many patients and families have of our hospital. We are lucky to have great benefits!

Great Place To Work For
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 23, 2018
I love the culture at CCMC. It is a great team environment, with respect to employees from all back grounds. BEnefits are great, and flexibility to advance within the company, or further your education. The managers truly want you to be your best, so they teach you everything you will need to know for your job. Leadership is very approachable and reliable, and you can talk to them about anything without being afraid of consequences.
May 24, 2018

Thank you for being a Medical Assistant with Cook Children's! You serve an important function in our physician offices, hospital, and health plan. We want to thank you for all that you do!

Productive and fun
Sterile Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 20, 2018
I love this place it had so many options for children the environment was kid friendly and colorful,also they have so many clinics and it’s very close to homr
May 22, 2018

Thank you for being a part of Cook Children's Sterile Processing team! You served a very vital function for our Surgery department. We hope you will consider returning to Cook Children's soon!

Helping children and families
Radiology Tech Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXMay 15, 2018
Cook Children's is a family that helps children and families during medically difficult times. Prevention, maintenance, treatment and recovery are the focuses of every person that works at Cook's. Doing my job well, effectively and efficiently was my daily goal. I learned how to be a better listener and communicator to all medical staff and patients. Every day brought new challenges and opportunities to grow.
May 22, 2018

Thank you for training with our Cook Children's Radiology department! We work hard for all the families in our community. We hope you will consider working for us as a Radiographer!

Low pay, poor promotion standards
Biomedical Equipment Technician II (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 24, 2018
Cook Children's does NOT pay market value. There's very few departments where promotion is based on personal growth and experience, most departments make it a competition between employees as well as outsiders. It was very difficult to get a promotion and didn't until I had been there for over eight years. For my particular department, it wasn't the direct manager that was an issue but rather the director. Seven of us voluntarily left within a two year time span for mostly the same reasons.
Pros
Get to work with kids
Cons
Low pay compared to market, promotions are done properly
June 1, 2018

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment with your pay and your experience. We are equally sorry that you have decided to move on.

Patient Assistance Program Coordinator
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 18, 2018
This was a innovative position and I loved the collaboration I was able to share throughout the many disciplines that were included in providing medication assistance.
Pros
Benefits, work life balance, pay
April 23, 2018

Thank you for being a part of Cook Children's pharmacy team! Our 340B program and our pharmacy techs provide a vital service to our patients!

Awesome place to work!
Telemetry Technician - PRN (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 17, 2018
Awesome place to work! The morale is high and you will feel rewarded everyday you walk in to help save a child's life. The pay and benefits a competitive.
April 23, 2018

Thank you for your kind words! Our telemetry techs play a vital role on our cardiac, neuro, and telemetry floors. We hope you return to Cook Children's, soon!

Good and Bad
Medical Technologist - Immunohematologist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 16, 2018
Great benefits. The hospital overall is a very nice place. My main issue with my position was that younger, newer staff would yell and scream at me when things got stressful. Very unprofessional.
Pros
Outstanding benifits
Cons
Extremely rude coworkers
June 1, 2018

Greetings, and thank you for sharing your comments. We are very sorry to hear of your experience with rude coworkers. We are equally sorry that the situation made you move to another job.

With the limited information, we are unable to effectively investigate or research your concerns. We value all feedback and strive to improve wherever we can or where there is a need. Please email us at CCemployeeRelations@cookchildrens.org to either schedule a confidential meeting or phone conversation to assist us in our efforts.

great family environment
OR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXApril 10, 2018
The people I worked with made the job. I loved working in the OR and helping patients, We had a strong team. The surgeons were easy to work with and I got along with all of them.
April 16, 2018

Thank you for the great review! We are lucky to have a great surgery team! We hope you consider returning to Cook Children's!

This used to be the best place to work
Not Important (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 3, 2018
When I first started with this company it was the best place ever. Now, it has become a culture where favors are done for certain people while others are treated like gum on a shoe. People who don't have the experience or education to be in their jobs are given leadership roles while others are demoted in status until they quit.
So glad to have moved on. They have even had to pay settlements on how they have treated employees and the management responsible is still there, promoted even. Cook abandoned their culture years ago, very disappointing.
April 9, 2018

Greetings and thank you for sharing your comments. We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment and your experience. We are equally sorry that you have decided to move on.

Too many managers and micro-managers. They were very young and inexpencied and it changed the the working culture and dynamic of the department.
Circulator, Peri-operative Services Full Time (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 20, 2018
I really enjoyed the position when I first started and worked at Cook's for many years. As the company grew, they began to add too many managers and they would disagree about the work culture. These different structures would divide the staff and cause difficulties in the working environment.
April 9, 2018

Thank you for sharing your concerns. We are sorry that your work experience seems to have been less than desirable. We would like to share some information with you, as we have researched information regarding the area in which you worked.

• Our “youngest” manager has 15 years of experience in the OR, followed by 17 years,
and 20+ years.

• We have had the same number of managers for the past 6 years. Beginning two years
ago, we assigned one manager to focus on Sterile Processing, but this manager still
had a presence in the OR to strengthen a collaborative relationship.

• The staff are encouraged to go to any manager for their needs, but the staff should
receive a consistent message.

As for the issues with micro-managing, we would love to have the opportunity to discuss this issue with you in detail,and your perception on how to improve the situation. We are always open to becoming better. That being said, we welcome you to email us at CCemployeeRelations@cookchildrens.org to either schedule a meeting or phone call.

Again thank you and we look forward to connecting with you.

Professional work environment
Patient Access Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 26, 2018
Cook Children's Medical Center is great place to work. Their reputation holds true. I appreciate the child friendly and diverse environment they have for this organization.
Pros
Great benefit package
Cons
N/a
February 27, 2018

Thank you for the great feedback! We are glad that you enjoy working at Cook Children's!

Great place to help children and their families deal with often difficult situations.
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hurst, TXFebruary 20, 2018
I enjoy working with and helping people. Dealing with patients and their families is a great way to assist people during difficult situations. The job is always changing with different family situations, insurance policies, as well as an ever-changing medical environment.
Pros
Good benefits, good hours, location, patient contact
Cons
sometimes difficult family situations, often short-staffed, high workload.
February 26, 2018

Thank you for letting us know about your experience as a PAS with Cook Children's! We know that you are the first face that our patients and families see, and you are a vital part of our patients' experience with Cook Children's.

Several Opportunities for Growth
Manager (Current Employee) –  CBOFebruary 12, 2018
In the last few years, Cook Children's Healthcare System (both the hospital, clinic, and urgent care aspects) have seen tremendous growth. We have literally seen this organization grow from about 3,000 employees to almost 8,000 by January 2018. This means that we are doing something right!

Of course, with growth comes change. This can be difficult for many as there is a sense at Cook Children's among some departments of "doing it the same ol way" - and now that is changing. As a result, some who have been with the organization for many years are leaving. But for many of us, we believe that change is a good thing.

We will be totally moving over Epic systems effective March 1, 2018, which will help us to maintain compliance, be in sync with national standards, and streamline our revenue capture. This is both exciting and stressful as we are preparing all 8000 employees for this major change - with massive training and required modules.

If you are looking to further your career in healthcare, I highly recommend Cook Children's. There are so many opportunities for growth. But more importantly, we are continuing to make a difference in the lives of the children we render services to and add support to their families.
Pros
Growth, Benefits, Easy Transfer Across Departments, Learning Opportunities
Cons
Change
February 19, 2018

Thank you for letting us know about your experience with Cook Children's! We have seen significant growth in the last few years, as we grow with our patients. We want to thank you for all the hard work you have put into Epic training! We know it has not been easy, and we appreciate the time and training you, and all of our staff, have put into this project!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cook Children's Health Care System. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Cook Children's Health Care System Reviews by Location