Cook Children's Health Care System Employee Reviews

Featured review
Cook Children's Health Care System selected this as a representative review
LVN (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXJanuary 29, 2019
Fast paced 12 hr shifts. Great benefits. Management is better than most. Good team work. Lots of opportunity for overtime whenever needed or wanted. Highly recommended
An exceptional place to work.
Respiratory Care Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 18, 2019
Cook Children's values its employees. Everyone here seems truly happy to be here, so the atmosphere is awesome. Pay scale tops-out on the higher-end of my chosen field compared to other hospitals in DFW, although not quite as much as the "other" children's hospital. However, the culture is WAY better here, and their uniform policy is VERY relaxed. The department staffs generously, so work assignments are very manageable (unlike some places I've worked). Even when there is multiple staff call-ins, there are resource staff to help out. The staff works very well together, and everyone is always willing to pitch-in and have your back when SHTF. A very good team dynamic with 100% effort from all. Their education department is strong, and if you're new to neonatal/pediatric respiratory therapy this is a GREAT place to learn.

Benefits are good, Cook Children's is one of the few hospitals that front-loads you with 40 hours of PTO upon hire!! The only downside is their health insurance. Its expensive, and my yearly cost went up significantly from what I was paying at my previous employer because Cook's carrier doesn't cover co-pays or prescriptions until you meet your deductible...which is the only thing I've ever had to use my insurance for.

Pros
Great working atmosphere and just culture
Cons
Expensive, sub-par health insurance coverage
Job Review
Manager, Patient Registration (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 11, 2019
Great company with great benefits and culture for staff and administrators.

I learned a lot in this position. The management team was not working well together.
March 14, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad you liked the benefits and culture here at Cook Children's. We are sorry that your management team experience was less than ideal. Our hope is that you will consider Cook Children's in your future career plans.

Very Rewarding
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 8, 2019
Had two great preceptor nurses and one bad one. The bad one had a list of infractions given to my instructor after the class day was over. Would have been better served to be told about issues as they happened
Pros
Great Work environment
Cons
Other employees can be petty
March 11, 2019

Thank you for letting us know about your clinical rotation experience at Cook Children's! We are excited that you are training to be a nurse, and we hope you consider our nurse residency.

Cooks is Awsome
Accounting Technician - (Accounts Payable) (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 20, 2019
Cooks was a great place to work. I left because I had a baby that was sick for 5 months straight and I needed to be home with her. I loved my time at cooks.
February 25, 2019

Thank you for your kind words about your time at Cook Children's! We are sorry to hear about your child's illness. We hope that you will consider coming back to us soon!

Children are the best aspect of the job!
Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 18, 2019
It makes you feel great that you are helping children to get better as well as their parents. The pay is amazing but if you can allow the reward to be the fact that you are helping sick children- then you have found your passion.
Pros
Good 401K/Insurance plans
Cons
Pto
February 25, 2019

Thank you for your feedback about your time with us in Compliance! We are glad that found Cook Children's mission to be rewarding. We hope that you consider us in your future career plans!

Poor Management
Family Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 9, 2019
Management is not good at Cook children's. There is a lot of favoritism and the salary is not competitive. Workplace culture is okay but again a lot of favoritism.
Caring environment
INSURANCE PRECERTIFICATION SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 6, 2019
Best career route, taught me alot. Love love love this institution. People are compassionate and thoughtful. Never had issues with management or coworkers
February 11, 2019

Thank you for all that you do at Cook Children's! We are so glad that you are growing your career with us!

Best Culture and Job Ever
Talent Management (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 29, 2019
It is so nice to work for a place with a mission to help children! Our mission drives a great culture where employees are considered a vital resource. We have employee events such as company picnics, cookouts on campus, service awards, et cetera. The staff pulls out all the stops on Halloween with our Halloween Hoopla that includes trick-or-treating for our patients and a variety show for the patients that is done by the staff. Our staff members, clinical and non-clinical, strive every day to help our patients.
Pros
Mission, Benefits, Cook Children's University, Great Culture, Yoga and Zumba classes on campus
Cons
No gym on campus
February 4, 2019

Thank you for the great feedback! Our staff is very important to us, so we work hard to make sure each and every employee knows that are an important part of our Mission at Cook Children's.

Awesome
Medical Receptionist/ Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 28, 2019
I loved working at cook children’s wish I wouldn’t of left . It’s very family oriented and you meet a lot of great people. I would recommend to work here.
January 29, 2019

Thank you for the kind words! We are really glad you enjoyed your time with us! We hope your career brings you back to Cook Children's soon!

Development and Energetic Child Care work place
Child & Youth Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg NCJanuary 26, 2019
Cook Children Development Center strives to create a good workplace for their employees. They have different activity plan thought the year. One is the military child festival.. The hole month is plan with activity for the children to enjoy inside and outside the center. The staff members have activity planning for the staff to enjoy as-well. Cooking competition, Activity challenge and Characteristic hard part of the job.
Pros
Training to enchance your teaching skills
Cons
Never give up on learning somethings new skills
March 4, 2019

Thank you for the nice review! Cook Children Development Center at Fort Bragg is very lucky to have you as an employee. We wish you were an employee at Cook Children's Health Care System in Fort Worth!

Worst job I have ever had
N/A (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 18, 2019
This was the worst job I have ever had. I have years of experience in my position and was put on some sort of "performance improvement plan" by an incompetent manager. This manager had no idea what she was doing, but it was obvious they decided to push me out for whatever reason. My work ethic and performance is usually above the expectation, I have never been in trouble for work performance in my life. The manager in question was promoted with no prior management experience and treated employees like children. I honestly think I was dealing with someone who had mental illness. Went to HR for guidance and help and got the complete opposite. Everything I discussed with my HR rep was discussed with my manager, despite my being told the conversation was confidential. The reason I knew this is because my manager accidentally opened their mouth and told me things they could not have known otherwise. After talking to some colleagues, I found out my situation had happened to several other former employees of this department who also seeked help through HR only to find themselves ultimately retaliated against by management and forced to quit. These were not bad employees (I knew one of them from a different employer) and it was bizarre that HR did not handle this appropriately. Ultimately I was bullied and treated unfairly. I have never worked anywhere or at any other hospital in the metroplex where I have been treated this poorly and sabotaged from doing my job. I am still perplexed as to why they even hired. I am so happy I quit before it caused me some kind of illness from stress.  more... Lesson I learned- never, ever go to HR to report anything. The only way to report this kind of wrong doing and protect yourself is by doing so anonymously. I wish employers would take this sort of thing seriously, give employees an anonymous portal to report bullying and remove toxic managers, or at least investigate their behavior.

I have always loved my work environments and never had an experience like this before. I really liked my co-workers and was sad to leave, but it was the best decision I have ever made.
Benefits
Cons
micromanaging, incompetent management.
Work/Home Balance
COOK CHILDREN'S PCCN (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXJanuary 2, 2019
Management at the location I was at only cared about money and numbers. When It came to my ill brother (Homeless) needing to go to hospital for breathing difficulties I was advised I should have taken him on my own time or my day off .
when I I asked for less hours I was told I applied for a full time position. I clarified with management that I applied for a Monday thru Friday 8-5 I presented add after that I was treated different
January 22, 2019

Greetings and thank you for sharing your comments.

The organization is sorry to hear of your experience while employed at CCPN - Hurst. We are equally disappointed to know that you have decided to move on.

Your feedback is valued and our office would like to further discuss your concerns. We would appreciate that you contact me directly at valerie.sennette@cookchildrens.org or call 682/885-4132 for a detailed and confidential discussion.

Any additional details on the matter, will further assist in our efforts to conduct a thorough and effective investigation. We constantly strive to improve wherever we can and as the need presents itself.

great place to work
Clinic RN (Former Employee) –  fort worthDecember 21, 2018
Wonderful place to work; great co-workers and physicians; You can see the love for the patients and their families in the faces of the employees including nurses and doctors.
December 28, 2018

Thank you for being a part of Cook Children's nursing staff! We appreciate all the your do! Our patients and families appreciate your care, too!

Stressful and managerial corrupt work environment!
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 3, 2018
Working inside the Pharmacy department for Cook Children's Hospital in Fort Worth, TX was a nightmare.

They are all about politics, conniving seniority, and brown nosing over the truth and hardwork provided by dedicated employees.

The Pharmacy Director, Pharmacy Supervisors and Managers made my work life a living nightmare before I was made to quit.

I was backed into a corner by upper management, ostracized by my fellow coworkers, conspired against and investigated by management because they play favorites with certain employees.

If you choose to be different (set yourself apart from work drama/cattiness) be prepared for dislikes and attacks by brown nosers in this department and what's left of your work life here to suffer as a result at this hospital.

Management's goal was to get me to quit (in which they were successful) by feeding me lies about how me resigning was better than proceeding to a hearing so to speak pertaining to my defense of mistreatment/discrimination.

Ultimately, I was made unrehireable because of my then conniving supervisors consistency/paper trail of faulty corrective (disciplinary) actions against myself.
I was even required to provide an action plan for my supervisor in order to keep my job while on vacation which was VERY STRESSFUL!!!!!!!

Explore ALL of your options thoroughly before becoming apart of this horrendous work environment.
January 14, 2019

Greetings and thank you for sharing your comments. Based on your comments, it appears that your experience with Cook Children’s was not what we would have desired. You provided a lot of information that we would like to further investigate. We would appreciate that you contact me directly at valerie.sennette@cookchildrens.org or call 682/885-4132 for a detailed and confidential discussion. Cook Children’s strives to make the working environment as harmonious as possible. Your feedback will assist us to improve interaction with our staff.

Great Place to
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 1, 2018
I work as a seasonal employee. I have only been there 2 months. Everyone is very nice and I love working at Cook Children's! I don't feel like I am able to speak more on this company as I do not get benefits being a contract employee. However, I do not need them and would love to continue as a contract employee. The pay is great!
December 10, 2018

Thank you for helping out Cook Children's, as part of our winter plan! Your help is invaluable as we see a higher census due to flu and RSV. We are glad you are part of our team!

Fantastic Work Experience
Desktop Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TX 76104November 10, 2018
You can work at your own pace. The work is diversified and never boring or monotonous. Management is fantastic and very communicative. I would recommend this position to my peers.
Pros
Great Work Culture, Great Mangement, Regular Hours, Salary
Cons
N/a
November 19, 2018

Thank you for being a part of Cook Children's IT team! Your hard work and dedication is one of the reasons we were voted Most Wired by College of Healthcare Information Management Executives!

Was here 8yrs only left due to distance.
MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 2, 2018
WAs here 8yrs, great place to learn, teach move up the ladder if you want it. People become like family. hardest part sometimes is being overwhelmed with paperwork, patients, etc. One MA per provider, always trying to help out with other providers when needed.
Pros
Great staff, Drs, training always available if needed, Tuition reimbursement.
Cons
Short lunches at times, crazy busy
November 9, 2018

Thank you for being a Medical Assistant with Cook Children's! Our Medical Assistants are one of the keys to keeping our clinics running smoothly. We are sorry to see you go. We hope that you will consider returning to Cook Children's in the future!

Good environment for a work place
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 21, 2018
Every body is very friendly and nice place to work. You learn something new every day and good training. You will have busy days and slow days just like every other place.
Pros
Working with familys
Cons
Short break
November 9, 2018

Thank you for being a part of Cook Children's Patient Registration team! You are the first face many of our patients and families, and your work is vital to providing them the best possible experience. We appreciate you!

One of the Top 100 Medical Centers
Document Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 15, 2018
All employees are treated very fairly. It is very much a Team. You wake up and don't mind going to work. You are given opportunities for growth. The Managers are very knowledgeable and notify staff of any changes and updates. Everyone communicates well.
Pros
Everyone is friendly. You are greeted by staff you don't work with, very friendly atmosphere.
November 9, 2018

We are so glad that you wake up happy to come to work at Cook Children's! We love to hear this kind of feedback, and we appreciate your hard work. Your role is critical to keeping us organized and on task, and we want to thank you!

loved working here
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 26, 2018
Staff and patient-friendly environment. I worked well with the staff. I was easily transitioned from nights to days when I had a personal situation arise. The management cared about their staff and staff ideas and input.
Pros
great benefits
September 27, 2018

Thank you for being a RN at Cook Children's! We are so glad that you were a part of our team, and we hope you return to Cook Children's soon!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cook Children's Health Care System. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Cook Children's Health Care System Reviews by Location