Cook County Government Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Cook County is a fine organization. I have enjoyed working here, I have learned a great deal about government and Human Resources.
Classification and Compensation Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60602April 4, 2018
A typical day for me is varied and busy. I have e-mails and phone calls to create and/or respond to and there can be many interruptions. I am able to be creative while helping my customers and I enjoy this a great deal. The culture of this organization is to always help your customer whether they are internal or external and the most difficult part of the day is when there is just not enough hours to cover everything that should be handled.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Commuting to downtown Chicago
It's the government
Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 5, 2017
It's the government. Moves too slow. Too much bureaucracy. Political infighting. Bad pay can't compete with private sector. No room for advancement. Overall, dissapointed.
Fast-paced & Hands-On
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2017
Working with residents and neighbors, every day brings a new challenge but also a new partnership. I have learned more about a better balance between work and life. Management is also very considerate and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was not being able to provide a resource to a constituent in need. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing a constituent leave our office smiling versus when they first entered irate and feeling confident in being able to solve their problems.
Hard to achieve a team playing environment.
DBA - BI Developer - Onbase Developer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2017
Not a lot of potentials. Low budget for education and low budget for buying new apps.

Good if you will like to apply for your first internship or if you are close to retirement.
Great people
Fingerprinting Tech & Identification Tech (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 21, 2017
My typical day was meeting many different people that were begining or already employed by the county in for starting processes or helping with employment in the Cook County Government. It was a interesting and exciting job especially being introduced in meeting different people from many different roles in our county goverment from lawyers, doctors and officer/sheriffs along with the people that do labor through out cook county. The work place culture was interesting and laid back for me. The truth is that the only issue I had was the transportation system being the subway system in the city.However, I was always at work on time and there everyday. That was my only issue, but I loved working in the building and my co-workers were awesome. The most enjoyable part was meeting the people from all the different hospitals and depts. in the building and throughout the county system.
Pros
Management, people and location
Cons
Subway trip
Productive and fast pace work place
Administrative Asst. /Helpdesk & IT Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2016
The IT department at Cook county is a very fast paced work environment. Always something new to learn. There are various system that are introduced to the end users that the IT technicians are responisible for supporting which keeps us very busy.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Low morale
Productive place to work, family like co-workers
Compliance Monitor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 21, 2016
worked for Cook County for 27 years enjoyed my job and working with the clients. there was always something new to learn this happens when you work with the public. I enjoyed my co-workers the job itself was not difficult and there were so many different situations on a daily basis, so the hardest part of my job was when I was not able to give a client what they needed due to policy and procedures which must always be followed. I enjoy working with people.
Hectic Unfocused Political
Chief Technology Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago IllinoisOctober 9, 2015
To Be Continued as the details emerge I will fill this in according until that time I need to think about this further It is not like Corporate American it has more politics and underhanded designs that you can image
Pros
If you are in a Union you a solid
Cons
Politics and Shakman Exempt personnel
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2015
A very tenacious and self directed person. Since being employed with Cook County Government, I have become and excellent researcher, public speaker and communicator.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Five-day work week. Would like to work 12 hour days.
RFP Coordinator/Specification Engineer
Office of the Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2015
I worked for the government for 13 years and I learned a lot everyday. I started in the Bookkeeping section and quickly advanced where I was promoted to RFP coordinator. I worked directly with the Purchasing Agent and County department heads.
Pros
Developing exceptional working relationships with all County Departments.
Cons
I was laid off due to budget cuts.
Outstanding government agency to work for
Senior Cable Producer/Videographer/Editor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 19, 2015
Cook County always felt like I worked for a much smaller version of National Geographic. Being the Senior Producer among other duties allowed me to travel throughout Cook County covering many stories. From repopulating the lakes with fish hatchlings, to interviewing equestrian riders on Cook County trails, to highlighting the latest botany creations at Chicago Botanic Garden I covered everything. Being the second largest county in the United States, Cook County has a huge population, property holdings along with a wide variety of stories to provide to residents on Cook County's own cable television channel.
Pros
Provided room for advancement, professional development
Cons
New political landscapes unfortunately jeopardizes job security
Going Nowhere Slow
Field Auditor III (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 1, 2013
Management has no exact way to direct the department, and thus management is unable to effectively or efficiently direct their employees. Morale is quite low.
Pros
No managerial structure or culpabiliity
Cons
No promotions unless politically connected or extreem brown-noser
N/a
Trainee Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2013
-Excellent place to work
-Lots to learn everyday
-Great apprenticeship program
Excellent opportunity to sharpen administrative and communications skills
Communications Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2013
Excellent opportunity to sharpen administrative and communications skills while taking a deep, sustained dive into a variety of government agencies.
Pros
Deep dive into management and operations of public agencies.
Cons
Sometimes inefficient management bureaucracies.
Environment is what it is in your department
System Analyst IV (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2012
Cook County is totally different in compared to the past ! Politics have not changed there ! It is is the buddy system to whom they hire, not so to say they are an EEO and fair, despite the law suits and allegalltions in work places ! Find out for yourself ! It will not take long !
Pros
good benefiits
Cons
loose sick / personal days build up, when leave with pay
It was truly a swell company to work for. Hate I relocted and left my job.
county clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 20, 2011
while employed at the county I had several different leading positions. I was taught how to run the mail room.Administered other employees work daily.Tallyed timesheets and time cards. Covered for Supervisors when they went on vacations and lunch or meetings. I assisted four different Supervisors.The staff was my family away from home.