Cook County Health & Hospitals System Employee Reviews

Cook County Heath Hospitals is a very good place work. Fantastic benefits and working environments.
House Administrator (Current Employee) –  ILFebruary 16, 2019
My typical day at work is easy, quiet and organized. I work diligently making sure I leave work every day satisfied with the work I do and the people I work with it.
Pros
Macromanagement
Cons
N/a
Excellent Benefits
Recovery Coach (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 13, 2019
Cook County Health Hospital Systems provide great health benefits. Cook County Healthy Hospital Systems provide a great working environment and is patient centered.
stressful work environment
Senior Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 13, 2019
Very unorganized place to work. Low Integrity. In a typical day you will have various people walk up to your desk and need you to solve issues you are not suppose to have any thing to do with because you are a government entity, but you have to if you don't the finance department will not and then you will be on credit hold by vendors and you will not be able to do your actual job they hired you for.
Pros
healthcare pension
Cons
work/life balance
Over the past 3 years management has progressively gotten worse...
CN1 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2019
Management and not following policy is the biggest problem at CCHHS. Most of the management in the Specialized Units cannot help if there is a need because they have no nursing experience in that specialty. There is no one in upper management you can voice your complaints to, because they do not care about your complaints.
The union is useless, they collect the money every paycheck, and if you need representation for a hearing, be prepared for it to be put off for a while because there are a lot of hearings at CCHHS...you will get represented eventually, its best to brown nose your representatives on your units to represent you...
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
Too many hearings
Better than expected.
MEDICAL CODER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 31, 2019
Basically the best place to work for in the 25 mile radius. The pay is higher than the median and the benefits are to die for. Taco Tuesdays is the absolute worst, my personal opinion, and we could do better than this.
Unfair practices
Patient Access - Finance Revenue (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2019
My experience is that while the patients are treated fairly to a point, there are a lot of employees that just don't care who works at the company. They do there job but with no compassion behind it. They are not there for the right reasons. And favoritism is a huge part of the culture there. The Human resource do not operate on rules and regulations set in place. Something not clearly right working at the place. The best part for me is being able to help the patients when I can. Other than that the employees there made it a extremely stressful environment to work in.
Pros
Free lunches and great benefits
Cons
Envious and nosey employees.
Great benefits
LPN II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisDecember 23, 2018
Great benefits, 100% tuition reimbursement. This company has given me a chance to make good pay and further my education. I plan to retire form this company
great place to work for the benefits
Clerk V (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 6, 2018
no real job security because of layoffs every 3 months, but the pay and health benefits are great. pension plan, vacation and sick pay was great as well.
Productive and make you professional.
Certified Medical Technologist (AMT) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2018
Cook county health and hospital system helped me to have a good experience, specially working on different type of laboratory analyzers. Working at midnight was challenging while trying balance with family responsibilities. Resource and human management at the laboratory label need a lot of improvement. It is known that the Cook County has a budget problem. the management should work on wastage of resources.
Cons
no career development opportunities.
Stressful workplace
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 11, 2018
Managers are very unprofessional and disrespectful they bully you because they know nothing is going to happen to them it sad coming in that workplace because it’s very stressful
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Unprofessional
Cook County Hospital
Network lead (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2018
Cook County Hospital, which opened 1857, was used as a teaching hospital by Rush Medical School until the Civil War, when it was transitioned to an army hospital. After the war, it continued its purpose as a center for medical education and founded the first medical internship in the country in 1866.

By the 1900s, the best surgeons and physicians in Chicago volunteered their services at the hospital, which was rebuilt in 1916.
Work Environment not favorable due to Political control
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 21, 2018
The County Hospital is run by the Cook County Board. So any and all decisions must go through them for everything. All ideas on marketing, products and events are worked over by the board thus leaving no room for the actual contractor to participate first hand. I was able to help enroll over 80% New Members and raise the total patient care status from 13,000 to 45,000 in 6 months.
Pros
Working with the Public both vendors and Patients
Cons
No control over many decisions
Great Benefits and Pay
Clerk V (Current Employee) –  Oak Forest, ILSeptember 17, 2018
Work is busy and the pay is higher than most competitors. In the clinic I work at, all staff work together for the good of the patients. There is a lot to do so something the work load can be overwhelming
Productive at times but strong government union environment.
Call Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Oak Forest, ILJune 30, 2018
A typical day at work entailed reviewing staff performance and reports. Preparing for union caucus meetings; KPI reviews with Executive Directors; Meetings with subordinate leadership team; HR review of staff time cards; distribution of workflow; queue monitoring. The most difficult part of the job was meeting with the union. Union didn't support performance goals or staff accountability, making it difficult the ensure best service to the client, The most enjoyable part of the job was the beautiful view of the hospital grounds, as it was located near a forest preserve.
Pros
Great location; good pay for union staff; Comp time for management since OT pay is not an option
Cons
Strong gov't union involvement, little autonomy to drive success when unions don't support staff accountability.
Correctional Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 12, 2018
Nothing to say about this job I am no longer there it has benefits but a lot of political messiness. If you can get through mess then its ok but you have to be strong
Mission driven organization
Interim Chief Operating Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2018
CCBHS is dedicated to provide services all the resident of Cook County, It is has many delivery lines and as such allows the ability to provide employees with opportunity to expand experiences.
Pros
Ability to promoted within the organization
Cons
Large government organization
good placeto work
Clinical Nurse I (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 23, 2018
i was working cook county hospital for 27 years mostly i worked in trauma unit always very busy but i was enjoying my work and work place with my coworkers
Pros
comfertable
Cons
busy work
The job is what you make what make of it, give your best God will reward you for the rest.
Law Enforcement (Internal Affairs) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 13, 2018
Each day brings new experiences and challenges but you must be a lover of people to work at Cook County hospital. You must raise your self above the people who don't recognize your skills and push forward. You will be eventually recognized as new management arrives and improves things. You must be forgiving people will attack you verbally with games people play.
You might even get suspended for doing the right thing but hold on God will defend your character and if you can stand the heat in the kitchen you might end up being a manager. Now you can successfully change things!
Pros
Teamwork, new managers
Cons
Vindictive coworkers and managers, unfair hearings.
review
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 27, 2018
a very fast paced facility and competitive facility . I
I enjoyed working in the ER because of the support from peers. The patient population was very different since it was inner city .
Pros
fast paced
Cons
stressful
productive work place
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2018
I had a good experience there but I had to leave due to a family emergency. I never had in altercation with anyone, i learned how important it is to work at a steady paste, also I enjoyed talking with patients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cook County Health & Hospitals System. Our community is ready to answer.

Cook County Health & Hospitals System Reviews by Location