Cook County Health & Hospitals System

Cook County Health & Hospitals System Employee Reviews

You'll survive if you have a friendly but no nonsense personality.
CCHHS is no longer what it used to be when I started. It used to be a place where it was more of a family feel environment. The leadership does not care about their employees needs nor concerns. It can be a very toxic environment because of this.
Pros
Very good vacation pkg and health benefits
Cons
Leadership does not care about employees needs nor concerns
Bad, and getting worse
As a botched attempt towards privatization continues, morale is at an all-time low.

Mismanagement abounds.

No opportunities for advancement without being part of the old boy network. Job performance is not valued. No such thing as merit advancement or merit raises.

Everything is all based solely on seniority. Good people get let go with every new wave of layoffs while entitled, senior employees remain to keep bleeding the money dry.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Pretty much everything else
Great management at CCHHS
While working for CCHHS I leaned all about public assistance and how the system works. I was able to grow within the company and become a Bilingual Quality Analyst. I love the management team and all of the coworkers.
N/a
The job culture and management are a little tough. As long as you love what you do, the work becomes very easy and challenging. Great patients though.
Fun/excitig
I really enjoy working for Cook County Hospital, as the job is easy to do and the management team works with staff to ensure that our jobs are completed in a timely manner.
Pros
o.k
Cons
o.k
Horrible work culture
A typical day at work is just come in, do your job, and go home. This is absolutely one of the worst cultures I have ever worked in in my entire life. Management is horrible, very disrespectful, and unprofessional. The best thing about working here is that the the pay is decent, benefits are pretty good, and the job is somewhat stable. It is a unionized company, but don't count on that saving your job as they go through periods of lay offs. Unless you know someone personally on the inside, there is little chance of advancing. Most people on the lower levels are just stuck there, even when they acquire education. The hardest part of the job is the work culture. It is hostile. The best part is serving others, and knowing that on any day, you just may have made a difference in someone's life.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
hostile work environment, poor chance of advancement
Great health environment
Could have a better way of showing that housekeepers job are important and are appreciated. I love the diversity in healthcare. Helping individuals is what I love to do, especially in a healthcare setting; and Cook County hospital were a good environment for helping people whether it was cleaning bed or filing a paper or telling someone directions to where they want to go.
Pros
great benefits to permanent employees and great health care
Cons
no free or discount lunch, less pay for temp-to-hire employees
Hospital can be better
The hospital is not organized as well as it should be. The job is nice and ok. The patients can be a lot but they are ok to deal with. The fact that the job is consistent is a plus.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Cook County Health & Hospitals System?
I choose not to answer
My feelings about this place of employment are not important.

I should not have to write this in order to apply for other employment opportunities.

This actually upsets me that I am required to fill this out and I choose not to answer these questions.

This is cook county my opinion doesn't matter. This position is what it is. I will say, the benefits are great. I have no other comments.
Helping hand in the community. Provides quality care to everyone regardless to their ability to pay. Excellent benefits, numerous opportunities for advancement.
Nice Enviroment but Favortism exist.
Some Management members are not professional. Favortism plays a big role. Policies are not followed to the fullest. Overall the culture of the hospital can be better.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Upper management not right.
work schedule
report to work at 8:00 am, print daily work schedule, log on computer, set up work station. Start phoning patients. I love my coworkers we get along exceptional well in total I have 15 coworkers. The hardest part of my job is to drive the long distance to and from work. The most enjoyable part of my job is the decent pay and wonderful benefits.
Pros
enjoy my job
Cons
don't like the drive
I enjoyed working in the County system, I learned a great deal, my co-workers were great, always willing to help. A typical day at work was getting all the information into the system. The hardest part of the job was the day when the system went down, and we had to wait to put in our information to get reimbursement for the services we provided. The enjoyable part of the job was getting the needed revenue for the hospital.
Good benefits
Cook County Hospital is a good place to interact with many different cultures.

Upper management needs to know how to treat employees.
Exciting workplace
I have exciting days at work working with the staff. I love my job and the people I work with. I have learned how to multi-task even the more. I supervise 55 staff which consisted of temp and 32 permanent union employees.

The hardest part of my job was supervising everyone and monitoring the CMS system at the same time to assure accountability. Now that we have other staff I can do this effectively.

The most enjoyable part of my job is learning all the processes for the systems that are in pace.
Great team and supervisor.
I had an amazing team willing always to help each other and a very encouraging supervisor. No micromanagement, which works great for me. In an environment like that, I feel motivated to work, therefore my productivity was consistently above average.
Jail
CCHHS, at it's other affiliated entities most be a great place to work for, but in jail please be alert! The clients are not regular Joes and Janes, so please don't fall for tricks. Other than watching your every move, it's an interesting place to work for and I'm thankful for experiencing this atmosphere everyday. You learn something new every day, every hour!
Overall very nice and friendly place to work
It is a nice company to work for. It has nice benefits but the pay is slightly lower than most hospitals in Chicago area for Registry. There is great experience in complex patients. The staff is very knowledgeable. They are nice and have been there for a long time. There are something's they could change but every where you work has room for improvement.
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
Lower pay
Hostile Work enviroment
Don't even deserve a star . You work in a hostile work environment management is not fair, play the game of favorites .Cermak High School ,you are treated like high school students management is very disrespectful. The killer once you buy your car ,the house and put the children in private school the threats began, no job security constantly told you can be fired.
Pros
none !
Cons
You never adjust
Its a great opportunity of advancement and growth
There are opportunities to transfer or apply for any open positions. It is a secure place to work. There are different culture, age group, and job classifications.
Medicaid Application Enrollment
I learned how to enroll and submit Medicaid applications, along with checking eligibility. Also, entering member demographics into the FATS system.
Pros
Very informative, supporting and enjoyable
Cons
System goes in and out
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cook County Health & Hospitals System. Our community is ready to answer.
Cook County Health & Hospitals System Reviews by Location