COOK COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE Employee Reviews

Relaxing internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2018
This was an awesome experience! I really enjoyed going everyday and be able to learn from many great investigators. I had a lot of fun, but there was a lot to do!
Excellent Career
Commander (Former Employee) –  Cook County JailOctober 13, 2017
Great career to begin Law Enforcement. Many opportunities for advancement and specialize units. Excellent teamwork with fellow staff. Professionalism at it's best.
Pros
Builds character
Stable Employment
Behavioral Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2017
A good place to work. It is hard to get promoted, but the pay and the benefits are great. Great fulfillment in the work if you enjoy the field of corrections.
Deputy sheriff
Deputy Sheriff (Current Employee) –  Maywood, ILApril 29, 2017
Extremely stressful and the management is the worst it's dirty and no a safe environment. There are fights all the time and people there do not respect each other.
Pros
Non
Cons
1 hour lunch break
Wonderful Internship Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 22, 2017
I interned in the Sheriff’s Office Intelligence Center/Bureau of Intelligence and Investigation (SOIC/BII), as well as in the Correctional Information and Investigations Division (CIID). In SOIC, I worked on data entry; created and maintained daily warrant and parole lists; sorted through Firearm Owner Identification and Concealed Carry approvals and denials; created facecards (a summary of available information on a person, usually someone who has a warrant). In CIID, I sorted closed and open case files, entered the jail with investigators who interviewed inmates who were either victims or offenders of alleged crimes that occurred within the jail.
I get to meet people from different places and learn something new everyday.
Deputy Sheriff (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 29, 2016
I am presently working Monday thru Friday at the Daily Center with the eviction department processing court paperwork.

My usual job is working with community service workers transporting them to different work sites everyday working for the Chicago Transit Authority or the Chicago Streets and Sanitation Department. Usually I am on an 6 days on and 2 days off rotation.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
6 days on 2 days off, I prefer a 5 day work week.
Good place to start a law enforcement career
Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Adel, GADecember 11, 2016
Cook county sheriff's office is a great place to start off in law enforcement. But it's very stressful, and hard at times. I've loved working at the jail, and have made alot of new friends and memories. But I have to move on to bigger and better things to better myself.
Challenging each day
Law enforcement executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 21, 2016
My 25 years with the sheriff's department were the most fulfilling career directed roles of my life.
I was fortunate to work with superiors and subordinates that were professional in every way.
This job was by no means just an eight hour a day job as in all law enforcement positions, you stay until the task is completed.
The most difficult part of the job was observing the cruelty that some individuals are capable of perpetrating upon others.
Pros
Every day presented a new challenge
Cons
Observing difficult situations first hand
Very bureaucratic and political
DEPUTY SHERIFF (FULL-TIME) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2013
Job security and great benefits. Not great pay or opportunity for advancement.