Cook Inlet Aquaculture Association Employee Reviews

Trickery
Fisheries Technician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moose Pass, AKAugust 23, 2018
Co workers at the weir and management were involved in a cruel and what could have become very dangerous situation. All of it was to be a joke and i was the butt of their joke. If I had money I would have sued and many of them have a lot to lose. I had feared for my life. I'm currently under going counseling and suffer from deep depression and my trust in people lets just say it's going to take quite awile but Im working on it.
Pros
Free groceries and housing
Cons
No one to watch the sleepers or those who work whenever they want.
Good if you are looking for a way to come explore Alaska.
Seasonal Technician (Former Employee) –  Fish weirNovember 15, 2017
I worked here for two seasons as a seasonal technician at a weir. Sometimes long hours through the night with sleep deprivation, this is all dependent on the fish of course. Management is not the greatest. The supervisor was very poor at communicating and had some anger problems. The supervisor was inconsistent with what he told us and would cause problems where there were none. This job is good for someone who is trying to just get some experience or just wants to come to Alaska. I worked for the National Park Service and US Fish and Wildlife and would recommend both of them over CIAA. While working for them, do not expect to do much of anything else other than monitoring the weir. During the slow times you can hike and fish in the area, however if you don't have a car or are remote, that can be difficult to do.
Pros
Good pay, get to see a lot of bears and salmon, fishing, food and lodging.
Cons
No room for advancement, no benefits, poor management, confined to one area for the entire summer.
If you enjoy working remote, CIAA is the organization to work for
Seasonal Hatchery Technician (Former Employee) –  Kenai, AKFebruary 3, 2017
Cook Inlet Aquaculture Association has various job opportunities in multiple locations in Alaska. It is a great organization to work for and it involves hard work, but it is worth it. I worked remote both times I worked for CIAA and I learned a lot about myself. You need to be able to work independently, as a team member and be flexible. Hatchery work is completely different than working at the fish weirs and you must be able to work some 5 hours days or possibly 14 hour days. Hardest part of the job was living remote with a small number of co workers, so keeping yourself busy by hiking, reading and doing activities is important. I learned how to seine, sort fish, spawn salmon, identify 10+ species in a split moment, how to live remote, and everything that goes into working at a weir and a hatchery. It was a wonderful experience, and it is a great organization.
Pros
Free lodging and food
Cons
No benefits, hours vary depending on job title
Alaska
Biology Intern (Former Employee) –  Kenai, AKNovember 18, 2013
lived in the backcountry and monitored a fish weir. a lot of experience in a short amount of time. i would definitely go back.