Cook Out Restaurants
57Below average

Cook Out Restaurants Employee Reviews

United States1,779 reviews
Found 1,779 reviews matching the search
You will be constantly contacted while off of the clock. They expect you to be able to work 7 days a week. No holidays off. They continuously add work, but never show appreciation. They are too cheap to update their main way of communication (fax machines and telephones). They have 3 people in IT to take care of almost 300 stores spread out over the east coast and their home offices. They won’t hire enough help. They keep bad managers and reward them for no reason. Turn over rate is high in every department in this company. You will have no time for a personal life.
Pros
Money is decent
Cons
Health Insurance covers nothing, If you use PTO they will still call you and not do your work while you are gone, no holidays, bad management
Cook Out is a great place to work. The hours are long, usually 40-50 for an employee. Pay is good for a fast food restaurant. Raises are often given if you show a good work ethic.
Overall benefits were fantastic. Insurance was good, vacating time great, bonus opportunities plenty, but not worth the terrible schedule. There is no such thing as a set schedule or actually getting a requested day off.
Pros
Vacation time, insurance, bonuses
Cons
Lack of breaks, terrible schedule
The management there tries thier best with what they are handed. They're overworked and not even whiny about it. They have trouble keeping employees because this is not an easy job as far as what people expect out of fast food. The kitchen is the smallest I have ever seen and I have worked in a food stand. It's also very busy and high demand and the pace itself would weed out people who didn't want to work. You can work all the hours you want and are encouraged to because they really really need you. Management is very humane and compassionate about the fact we have a life outside of work. But it is packed, intense, and I have more burns here than any place I have ever worked. Also you have to really jump into each station in order to learn. They are perfectly happy sticking you on one station every single day. Mainly because of the high volume they can't always make time to train. But it's one of the highest paying jobs in the food industry in this town and it was nice being around people who actually cared about getting things done. I barely ever had to pick up anyone's slack.
Pros
Plenty of hours, caring management
Cons
Confined space
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
This job was horrible and I wouldn’t suggest nobody to work here. Good pay but bad environment with manager and staff. I wouldn’t work there even if it was the last job on earth.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
I moved pretty quickly thru the company to general manager. So yes hard work is very rewarding . Money is good once you become a salary Manager. Co managers pay is decent. No work life balance if you have a family or kids. But cookout is definitely a great company to work for if you don’t mind managing and still working as hard as your employees.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
No work-life balance
It gets very difficult at some times but I’ve never quit or walked out on the job and always got it done. Most of the managers are good people but just not the job for me anymore.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Very short breaks
● Overall
Working at cookout was something else. The Management was crazy! We were always understaffed unless it was for the GMs shift. We never had steady mangers there. They always came and went. Uniforms were never give to most employees. It was just crazy. Only on manager in there that was respected in there and it wasn’t the GM
Cookout is a great place to work , if you have great managers. The managers at cookout in Starkville do not care about ALL of their employees. The managers are the worst with this company. Pay is great as long as you get the raise they are supposed to give you.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Cook Out Restaurants?
It was ok I had good days and bad days and sometimes working there sucked more times than others I had three pretty good managers they would tell me when I was doing good or needed to pick up the pace
Pros
The first thing you eat is free
Cons
Food got taken off check
Upper management in East Tennessee needs major overhaul, DMs won’t listen to employees and management about when stores need help. Rewards bad managers for closing stores one hour early yet managers who put their best foot forward and strive to improve the company get punished for minor rule violations. They’ll promote wildly unprepared managers to spots they aren’t ready for over looking qualified managers.
It is great and fun and so much opportunity to be made you have to work hard and stay focused and be very fast and a great team player long hours good pay
Managment constanty says they will give you raise starting with the manager, then GM, then DM, yet nothing every changes after months of them saying it will. While other employees are constantly calling out, doing drugs and slacking off all while making more money then you. Literally favoritism, and whos butt you can kiss the best. More often then not the store was understaffed and the air condition could not compete with the amount of heat being produced in the kitchen. If you worked a double shift and they forgot to give you a lunch break on first shift don't expect one during second shift.
A very fast past environment, new employees must learn fast. It’s a great way to learn customer service skills. You get paid for working hard, and most managers are very understanding.
Loved working there, would highly recommend. Met many new people and I also learned a lot working there. Came in contact with great people and had outstanding managers. Pay was good.
This job isn’t like any other fast food restaurant it’s fast paced and you have to deal with a lot and some people aren’t cut out for it. The customers and sometimes even the employees talk to much just stay to yourself.
Pros
The food
Cons
The customers
Worked my way up from a minimum wage employee to being apart of a team of managers! I loved the fast-paced environment in management and pushing out $2000 hours. Great co-workers, management, pay, and culture.I was on the companies "Corporate Management Travel Team", I was moved to new/opening location's across the eastern border and put up in beutiful hotels and places. I would defiantly go back 10/10.
Pros
Fun, Fast-faced, Rewarding, Opportunities
Cons
Do not work here you will regret it they don't pay women the same as they pay men. They can't keep people and are always hiring due to the fact that they miss treat their employees. When you have a complaint they don't have a real human resource department upper management all run off good ol boy system either your in or your out
Pros
Nothing stress
Cons
No breaks overworked and under paid
I worked at Cookout on 10th St for about 7 months. My first day on the job was, for a lack of better words, ghetto. The cooks would come in high of pills and shrooms and would get in arguments with the front of house staff. The managers didn’t care about employees personal matters for example, my great grandmother and my aunt died and I went out of town for their viewing and funeral. I tried to call the store to explain the situation but no one answered the phone so I decided to text the general manager. I explained that no one answered the store phone and he told me that callout need to be 24 hours in advance even if it’s an immediate issue. I didn’t plan their death so I didn’t know I would have to call out those days. This is just the first issue I had with the company. To work for Cookout, you have to have no life outside of working.
Fun place to work, very fast paced, people are nice and respectful most times. There is always something to do and I r required to learn a little of every spot In the store.
Pros
Half priced meals
Cons
Wouldn't work with me for the times I could work
High stress, long hours, you must work hard to succeed, Over the years the upper management has declined a bit, in the eight years I only felt maybe one or two of the upper management that I would work with on a day to day basis had any sort of brain.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Unrealistic Goals