Cooley LLP Employee Reviews

Cooley
Patent Staff (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 12, 2018
Lack of career advancement. Below average management. Procedures are structure are always changing. The benefits are similar to other firms. Perks are good like gym, health perks.
Great place to work with great people and support staff
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 16, 2018
Great work culture and mentality. Includes staff in events. Believes team effort is what makes the firm great. Effective management and team morality.
Pros
Group activities, great benefits, great salary, great environment
Cons
None so far
Cooley was an awesome place to work
Legal Assistant/Intellectual Property (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAFebruary 3, 2018
The attorneys I worked with were very friendly and the firm was very generous. I am a patent secretary and the workload was very heavy and Cooley provided the needed support to enable me to get my work completed.
Great Place To Work
Senior Office Service Assist (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJanuary 16, 2018
Cooley is a lovely firm to work for, I am thinking about moving back home and the do not have a firm in the area of N.C Cooley have been a firm that takes care of their employees.
Pros
great work hours
Cons
could give more duties to handle
IP DOCKETING ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCOctober 18, 2017
great environment to work, it was fast pace but each employee work together to get things done and the employer would do thing to encourage staff to work hard
Great place to work in
Office Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2017
The culture, people, and atmosphere at Cooley makes it a great place to work in. I love it. Management is considerate and will to work with you. The want you to succeed with on the job training, tuition reimbursement and other great advantages.
Management was subpar
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 29, 2017
Management talks down to other employees. They have unrealistic expectations and some of them do not tell the truth in order to further their own careers.
Pros
Gym, Location
Cons
Expected to work through lunch (non-exempt) and breaks, poor management
Fast Paced Environment determined by your Motivation
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 27, 2017
Cooley is a great place to work and each Practice Group has a different culture. If you are an adaptable resource this is the job for you! The key to this job is to be proactive.
Not for me, but an okay firm
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 12, 2017
It's a fine firm, but not what I was looking for in work/life balance and atmosphere. Very driven. Palo Alto office is very lovely, SF has less of an atmosphere.
Happy, Progressive law firm.
Legal Secretary - Corp Dept and Comp & Bene Dept (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAMarch 20, 2017
Cooley, LLP was a great place to work. I worked in the Reston, Virginia office. The location of the office was great in the center of the town, with access to all kinds of restaurants and amenities.

The culture was very laid back, this is a California based law firm and the culture reflected that.

The management was very diligent to make sure that the company was protected from changes in the economy by making sure they had a very diverse client base, which insured that if one client moved to another law firm, it didn't affect the company in any large way.

I enjoyed working at Cooley, and only left to move to North Carolina.
Pros
Great culture, great place to work, great benefits.
Senior Office Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 22, 2017
Cooley is exciting and fast paced with a strong "we're all in this together" environment. They value hard work and diversity.
Productive law firm with laid back culture
Patent Practice Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 14, 2015
Productive law firm with laid back culture. Strong IP department. Most people enjoy their jobs. Good Benefits. Great office location in Boston.
benefits
Cons
too many managers and micro managers
Great Culture! Fun Place to Work!
Associate - Higher Education (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 11, 2015
My firm merged with Cooley in 2014 and since that time the culture at Cooley has been like a breath of fresh air. It's a great firm.
Pros
Lots of happy hours
Cons
Some associates get stuck in offices with no windows or interior offices with little natural light
A good place to work
Senior IT Business Analyst/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2014
Overall a nice place to work. Comfortable and friendly environment. Recognition for job well done, but no room for growth or advancement.
Pros
Good culture, friendly people, nice work environment, competitive salary
Cons
No advancement, unqualified management, little interest in promoting from within
International Law firm specializing in litigation
Attorney Recruiting Assistant - Contractor (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAFebruary 12, 2014
I assisted the Attorney Legal Manager during the busy On Campus Interview season, recruiting 2L and 3L year law students to become Summer Associates for 2014.

Worked with a former colleague that asked me to assist her during her busiest season.

The management and firm is wonderful. I met many people and they made me feel part of the firm and not a contractor.
Pros
Good employees, great culture, great cafe!
Cons
It was great working here until it wasn't
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  San FranciscoFebruary 12, 2014
A typical had too many meetings which left little time to work on projects. There was great respect and comradery among co-workers. Management was very supportive.

The hardest part of the job was trying to get time with my manager. The CIO had us work on too many projects at the same time without providing adequate resources.

The most enjoyable part was to work on projects without micro-management.
Pros
Willing to pay for training
Cons
I often worked on weekends and we were always on call. We had to be glued to our phones.
Good Firm
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 6, 2013
Typical legal secretarial duties. As a floater, I was able to work in many different departments and had varied duties. After a year, I was assigned to one department/partner plus associates. The partner left and there were no other positions available at that time.
Pros
Dynamic Leadership
Cons
Transition from recent merger
Good Work
Litigation Associate (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 8, 2013
Fun clients
Typical big-law compensation and hours
Above-average training for associates
Cooley is a very a family oriented work place. The company invests in it's employees and compensates and gives merits to all of it's hard workers
Legal Records Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2012
A Typical day at work at Cooley is loaded with fun filled events at times, on the other hand you have serious but friendly people getting their jobs down to ensure that the firm suceeds and provides the best quality service to it's clients.
Dedicated Document Specialist
Document Specialist (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COJuly 5, 2012
Always an opportunity allowed for improvemenr as well as a wonderful, supportive staff. Everyone worked as a "team" helping each other and managment highly supported that attitude.
Pros
when profits were successful, the firm always shared that success with all of its employees.
Cons
no cons except the u.s. wide layoff in 2001.