COOPERATIVE PRODUCERS, INC Employee Reviews

Great opportunity, great atmosphere
current employee (Current Employee) –  SC NebraskaJanuary 10, 2019
I don't understand some of these negative reviews. In my 5 years here I've never heard of anyone get let go that at least did the minimum required out of them. On the other hand, not only are the pay and benefits good, but there are so many different jobs within this company that you can be promoted into. I've enjoyed my time at CPI much more than the previous coop I worked at. This is the first company that I've worked for that the upper management have an open door policy to ALL employees. I would definitely recommend and have recommended CPI to friends.
Cooperative life is very rewarding
Office Staff (Current Employee) –  Hastings, NEJanuary 12, 2019
If you have never worked at a cooperative before it is different. Some employees can't handle the hard work and hours. CPI has a great family friendly work environment. The management cares about their employees and they understand the long hours they put in to get the work done. CPI always wants what is best even though some employees don't understand both side of the process. It is disappointing that past employees who didn't put in the hours and work performance of others leave the company and write bad reviews. It is hard to hire good employees in the job market today, no company would let good employees go. I hope those past employees find the right fit with another company. They will not find any other company that cares about their employees well being and safety like CPI does.

CPI has profit sharing, good wages and other benefits including a pension plan. Keep in mind that comes with some long hours at times and hard work. It is well worth it and any employee that is able to retire and receive a pension plan till they die will tell you how great it is. The employees that have retired with CPI need to write reviews about the company not the ones that worked there for less than a year.
Pros
Pay, benefits, coworkers, management
Cons
Long hours and hard work
Great productive company with great opportunities for advancement
Current employee (Current Employee) –  Central NebraskaJanuary 6, 2019
CPI is a fun fast paced company with a great team of employees. They believe in training their employees to allow growth and advancement within the company, not to mention they compensate very well! If you are thinking about a change of pace I would highly recommend taking a look.
Pros
Great coworkers, opportunity for advancement, great compensation
Cons
Seasonal hours can be long
poor management
Grain Elevator Operator (Former Employee) –  Hastings, NEJanuary 15, 2019
if you have a family this might be the job for you. I was sought out after the company and never got into the job i was promised. I left a good job for this and now i am without a job.
benefits
Literally the worst experience I have ever had
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Holstein, NEJune 27, 2018
Terrible, disgusting, disappointing, the worst experience I have ever had. The company is a joke. I was hired on June 4th and after leaving a much better job for my marriage, they fired me after 23 days without a decent reason, I wouldn’t recommend to anyon
Pros
High Salary
Cons
Long hours, bs work and terrible managemnet
Great place to work!
Agronomy (Current Employee) –  Hastings, NEJanuary 11, 2019
Great people to work with, the VPs are all very present and accommodating to your needs. The benefits are good and you start accruing PTO on your first paycheck.
Pros
Free Lunches, good benefits
And so it goes...
office clerk (Former Employee) –  funk, neJanuary 11, 2019
I was ASKED to go on fulltime, after working 7 months seasonal/temporary. Producers at my first location contacted other employees and advised the company to keep me fulltime but I did not want it. Then I decided I should have insurance, so agreed to fulltime. The only training I received was when 2 other clerks came to my location for an hour, and 2 Hastings corporate people came to my location for 2 hours (mostly to get out of their office as opposed to actually training me). I was interrupted by inbound trucks, phone calls, and walk in customers during this minimal training. Otherwise I had to call more tenured employees with questions I had and learn on hand, over the phone, wasting their time teaching me when any type of formal training probably would have helped. I was told I was a "breath of fresh air" and "doing a great job". At no time was I on corrective action, disciplinary action, or told about anything I needed to improve. After 7 months, I was termed because "I wasn't on board with CPI's safety program." After calling the VP of safety, he told me safety had nothing to do with my termination.

When I first began, my location had 6 outside help. When I left, only 3.

My actual 40 hour per week salary was fine. What was not fine was that I worked so much overtime, I would have made 2/3 more than the 40 hours per week salary. I averaged over 60 hours per week. I had to punch out for a lunch but sit at my desk and take the lunch, fielding multiple phone calls or scaling in/out trucks during the "unpaid" time. If I did not punch out, my manager deducted
  more... 30 minutes per day for a lunch. For some reason, CPI thought it was better to have one person suffer through 9 months of busy time, than have 2 people suffer through 3 months of slow time.

This is why CPI has a reputation that is hard to swallow. If you do not hear of terminations who do not meet minimum, it is because Hastings corporate does not advertise the operations terminations. Over and over and over there are terminations without cause, without any offer or room to fix the problem. it's just "Oh well, we have a warm body to replace you so you're out."

I absolutely adored my co-workers and my customers and my drivers. I will miss them. But I will not miss the unnecessary BS that CPI upper management encourages and endorses. There desperately needs to be a corrective action plan, warnings so the employee can improve or change, and a management training program instead of just throwing long term employees into leadership roles they are not ready for. There is a huge difference between someone who is a great leader, and someone who is a great employee.
Pros
co-workers, customers
Cons
unnecessary bureacracy
Excellent work environment for team players who are open minded to company improvement
Customer and employee relations (Current Employee) –  South central nebraskaDecember 7, 2018
CPI is attracting some very talented people as they transition into a modern coop. The team atmosphere is consistently improving during my time here. Constant upgrades of the facilities and coworkers shows they have a desire to improve.
Pros
Freedom to share ideas, very collaborative.
Cons
the Seasonality of agriculture. Long hours during key parts of year
Upper management is very insecure
BRANCH MANAGER (Former Employee) –  GiltnerNovember 29, 2018
You must be available 24/7 for anything. They will call you when you have weddings or funerals. They need you to check in for everything, they don’t believe in employees making any decisions or having any input that isn’t what upper management wants. They don’t listen to employees or more importantly customers. This is the only company I have ever worked at that believes they should fire a customer if that customer disagrees with them. They have confidential meetings with employees and then share them with the whole company. They believe in smearing employees to try and make their lie fit instead of the actual facts
Pros
The employees and customers are great
Cons
Upper management is not capable of admitting mistakes they have made
At some point the board of directors needs to intervene
Grain Elevator Operator (Former Employee) –  Hayland, NEJanuary 7, 2019
Whoever left the 4 star review of Jan 6 needs to explain what kind of training CPI provides when several other reviews say there is little or no training. And whoever left the 5 star review of dec 2 needs to explain exactly WHO cpi has hired to take it into a "modern elevator". Management is chosen of the "buddy system" and not on skills or education. Buddies can mess up all they want and jobs are still safe. Otherwise good employees are termed on a whim and for no reason whatsoever. At some point CPI needs to understand that training and retraining employees (even the bare minimum training they provide) is not the answer. Upper management is extremely power hungry and micromanages
Employees walk on eggshells wondering who is going to get mad at them and result in their termination. Corporate in Hastings in extremely detached and clueless as to the happenings in operations and rarely answer phones after 2pm on fridays. Salespeople are rarely around for assistance. A handful work too much. Most are barely working 40 hours. If you offer an opinion, you are told "if you dont like it, leave."
Pros
Enjoyable customers and co-workers
Cons
The artists in upper management
Would not recommend
Shop Employee (Current Employee) –  Giltner, NEDecember 1, 2018
Enjoyed the job for the first 6 months after that upper management began to make poor decisions that had negative impact on hourly employees and upset many of the customers. Would not recommend this company to any job seekers
Pros
Fun coworkers
Cons
Everything else
Bad idea
Assistant Tire Manager (Former Employee) –  Giltner, NENovember 29, 2018
Good place to work if you hate being home and like being lied to by management. They do recommend that you do not become friends with any customers and do not like being told they are wrong about things.
Pros
Free popcorn
Cons
Management, home time
Productive and fun place to work at
Scale Operator (Current Employee) –  Funk, NEFebruary 28, 2018
My typical day at work consists of answering the phones, greeting customers when they come in and probing incoming and outgoing grain. I have learned to multitask very well since I am the only person in the office. The management is very understanding if something comes up and work with you on being gone. The hardest part of my job is making sure everything is being done and is accurate. Most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the farmers and coworkers.
Pros
Provide lunches during trains and harvest lunches
Cons
Retirement plan, health, dental, vision insurance
Not bad
Precision Agronomy Technician (Current Employee) –  Hastings, NEJune 12, 2014
Not a bad place to work but their compensation and benefits leave a lot to be desired.
Interactive with daily customers
GRAIN CLERK/C-STORE ATTENDANT/BOOKKEEPER (Current Employee) –  Merna, NEJanuary 4, 2017
My typical day at work involves billing out inventory items and maintaining inventory numbers. I have learned that working with all types of personalities takes a special kind of person. I currently work with 2 male subjects with whom I have developed a good working relationship. The hardest part of my job is understanding that not every day is the same, but working through those obstacles are also a fun part of it.
Great benefits!
Grain Clerk (Current Employee) –  Funk, NEDecember 11, 2013
CPI offers a great low key, casual working environment. If you are familiar with the locals this is a really good place to work as you will deal with a lot of the locals.
Pros
Great Health Insurance