CopperTop Tavern Employee Reviews

Terrible experience
Slave (Former Employee) –  Vestal, NYJuly 14, 2019
This was the worst job experience I have ever endured in my life. Unless you kiss up to the management and heal their broken egos they will make working there torture. You will get scheduled 40+ hours then 10 the next week. If you do anything at all that goes against the grain they will become extremely passive aggressive, talk to other employees about you, and over all treat you terribly. The management will often comment and discriminate against you based on your age and physical appearance. Comments like he/she too fat or ugly will be a commonality. It doesn’t matter how hard you work if you aren’t in with the management you won’t catch a break.
They cut your hrs so you don’t want to be their
Pizza Cook (Former Employee) –  Vestal, NYJuly 11, 2019
The very first week don’t mess up your paycheck then the very first week you work as well you’ll start out at 40 hours and then you will watch your hours dwindle to nothing why they give other people 50 or 60 hour work weeks that are doing the same thing you’re doing but say they don’t have any hours available to give
Horrible Management & Environment
Server (Former Employee) –  North Syracuse, NYApril 11, 2019
Hardest part about the job is trying to keep certain managers happy or else they'll affect your hours vindictively. Good luck trying to request time off because they won't honor it even if you give months notice.Before serving you're required to take a 15+ page exam, and are not given more than 3 tables until you pass it to their standards. Made good money on busy nights if you were given a priority section- which never happens unless you're a favorite of the management.

Checker reports given to random customers were used as a mechanism to either fire or suspend employees based off bad ratings by people that have most likely never served before. You get points docked for not greeting within 30 seconds, up-selling, etc. No matter how long you've worked there, the company sees you as disposable and would rather let a stranger who just wants a free meal assess your customer service skills in a biased manner at the drop of a hat. (Ex: I personally overheard one of my tables ask each other whether or not I offered appetizers while filling out their report, which I did, but they weren't listening so I got points off because they forgot.) That doesn't contribute well to morale or overall individual success.

What I did take out of my experience is more respect for anyone that works in food service. I learned a lot.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Management, Checker reports
Horrible management and awful company to work for
Server (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 23, 2019
Management doesn’t care about their staff, only themselves and what is best for them at the time. They don’t show any respect to employees who work hard for them. They suspend people for days and sometimes a full entire week if you get a bad “checker report.” They care more about a guest who just wants free food or discounts than employees who work hard and bust their butts hours on end for them.
Pros
Working with good employees
Cons
Poor management
Productive, and rule oriented.
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  North Syracuse, NYNovember 28, 2018
Great work environment, managers are approachable. Quick paced when the lunch and dinner rushes hit. Fellow employees are friendly. Very attentive to cleanliness of restaurant.
Pros
50% off food when you work a shift
Not a great place to work in back of house
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 20, 2018
Company was very clicky. If you aren't in the "in" crowd,forget about any type of promotion and the raises were yearly and pathetic. They brought wages up a little recently, but should be paying more for the business they do.
Cool Place
Server (Former Employee) –  Camillus, NYOctober 22, 2018
I didn't really get hours like that. I asked management many times if it was a work ethic issue, if there was something I could work on to increase working hours, through countless conversations of ensuring me that there were just no hours to give (but they were giving them to even newer employees) I eventually obtained a second job. If you get hired here, have a backup job.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Poor Management, Poor Training, Outlandish Requests to be able to serve 4 tables or more
Ehh
Pizza Cook / Fry Cook (Former Employee) –  Vestal, NYMarch 6, 2018
Good place to work but it could go from being a good place to a bad place in a matter of days. Sometimes seems like you're personally being attacked for no reason at times.
Pros
Good Cooking Experience
Fun Workplace
Hostess/Busser (Former Employee) –  Camillus, NYJanuary 9, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and becoming apart of the CopperTop Family. Everyone was always looking out for one another and always strived to help others in any way possible. Upon leaving there is always a tradition, you get whip cream pied in the face towards the end of your shift and everyone is always so positive about it, even if they're the one getting pied. When I gave my two weeks notice the managers were very supportive and told me I have a job with them anytime in the future.
Fun and very busy restaurant
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Cicero, NYDecember 11, 2017
If you're looking for a place that's always busy Coppertop is the place to work. There is an opportunity to make a lot of money. It's nice having a work family.
Pros
discount
Fast paced, Stressful
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Vestal, NYNovember 6, 2017
Working at copper top was very stressful considering it was only a part time job. You had to go through training which is understandable but you couldn't actually wait on tables until you took and passed a 17+ page "certification test" which in my opinion is nuts for a waitressing position. As a college student, studying for my almost 20 page exam for my part time job was the last thing I needed. Management was difficult and unclear as there were always more than 2 (usually 3 but sometimes 4) managers on the floor who never seemed to be on the same page with each other so there was always conflicting information being given. Coworkers weren't very helpful and the environment just wasn't very welcoming.
Pros
Free lunches, 45 minute breaks
Cons
17+ page certification test, management
Fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Solvay, NYOctober 27, 2017
This restaurant made it fun to be employed by them. They did make our jobs competitive by doing fun games in the back for servers to work on their selling skills.
treat your employees terrible and work them like dogs
Server (Current Employee) –  Cicero, NYJuly 11, 2017
terrible place to work, management did nothing berrate you even when you were there everyday ready to work . ownership was lazzie-faire to say the least who never worked a day in the life of a typical restaurant employee
Teetering on the edge
COOK (Current Employee) –  Camillus, NYJuly 3, 2017
A family owned restaurant that struggles to manage and develop employees. What is really lacking is the heart put into their work. Most of the kitchen is falling apart inside.
Great food
Hostess/Expo/Food runner (Former Employee) –  Vestal, NYJune 27, 2017
The restaurant is beautiful and they take pride in what they put out for their guests, they just need to re-evaluate who they have running the place!!
Nice & Enjoyable place to work
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NY 13219November 28, 2016
Coppertopp Tavern was my first waiting job ever and it was also the best. The management was good, the employees were nice and considerate, and everyone was willing to help whenever you needed it. This was also a fun setting setting to be in. I highly recommend this job to anyone who wishes to be apart of a well trained and considerate team of servers who make every guests visit feel right at home.
Pros
Good scheduling and money
Cons
Requirements of employees were strict
fun and professional place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  North Syracuse, NYNovember 16, 2016
Ive learned how to multi-task and up-sell. GREAT team work. Management is great and always has your back, always willing to teach and help. The hardest part would be relying on the checker reports that are filled out by customers regarding service, even if service was great, our jobs are on the line based on what the customer fills out.
Pros
50% off certain meal items
Cons
no benefits
Terrible Management
Pizza Expo (Former Employee) –  Cicero, NYSeptember 30, 2015
Some of the worst management I have ever had to deal with. They get in your face and treat you like a child. They all should be fired.
Pros
nothing
Cons
management, cut early frequently
coming in doing dishes and cleaning the kitchen
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 7, 2015
no one really works with u in ur area. everyone doing there own thing and we do r thing. as long as we make sure are job get done that's what matter really

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CopperTop Tavern. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9