Copypress

Copypress Employee Reviews

Freelancer

I've been writing content for Copypress for about three years now. There's usually plenty of work, and the pay isn't terrible. (It's not great either.) Overall, the project managers are super friendly and upbeat. It's not a bad gig, but some projects can get a little mind-numbing. Overall, I'd recommend it if you're looking for something to bring in an extra $500 month or so and you're a pretty solid writer. I certainly wouldn't count on it as your primary source of income.

Pros

plentiful work, friendly project managers, flexibility

Cons

low pay, (sometimes) boring work

If you love working for charity, then this is the best place for you.

You work hard, but you will never be paid. However, if you're looking for volunteer work or somewhere to hone your skills, then give them a try. What a time waste?

Decent pay but you dont get paid until 90 days (or more) after work is approved.

The CMS is easy to work with and the editors and project managers always leave helpful feedbacks. However, you might not get invited to complete tasks weekly so depending on Copypress as your sole source of income would be difficult. My biggest issue even though I was told about it while registering is the 90 day payment policy. The fact that I woldn't be paid soon enough always demotivates me.

If only they paid on time

Pretty consistent work, but they never pay on time. Months would go by after a client had published my work online, yet I still hadn't gotten paid for it. I wouldn't recommend it.

Incredibly Flexible

This has been a great opportunity for me as a freelance writer who is consistently on the move. Copy press is upfront about the payment for each project and pays their writers promptly.

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Not worth the time or effort

My biggest complaint is that you are sold on something that you never receive. I am an experienced editor and am not treated as such. This is a better job for kids in college, maybe. I'm still not sure when we get paid and I've been working on this team for more than a year (no paycheck yet). Work is not steady at all and "management" (if you can call them that) is rude in responses to you and writers.

Pros

Work from home, flexible hours

Cons

Poor management, little to no constructive feedback, rude

Move on; there are better-paying and more reliable freelance opportunities

They pay too little and too infrequently, and their payment management team is either malicious or incompetent, though it is most likely the latter. Do not waste your time. You will waste, at minimum, three months before your first paycheck, and, when they delay and equivocate paying you long after their stated time frame, you will quite reasonably worry that they will never pay you and that they have cheated you, purposely or by virtue of their disorganization, out of your thankless labor. The work itself would be tolerable if it didn't take five months to be paid for it. More specifically: the editing rate will be 1 cent/word; the orders average between 750 and 1250 words; the people are generally nice; and there is usually no shortage of work. But again, don't expect a reliable paycheck, or even a paycheck at all.

Cons

Profound incompetence in management, low pay

Company Doesn't Pay

I'm still waiting for payment on an article I wrote last year. Per their payment policy, I should have been paid 1/15/2019. I waited. No payment, although my article was approved months ago. Instead of them communicating with me, I had to chase down payment. I was told they had a problem in Q4, which prevented them from paying on time. They tell me they've put together a plan to pay people who are missing checks but don't know when I will get mine. I won't work with them again and don't suggest anyone else work with them either.

Payment Problems

I still haven't been paid for work I did 8 months ago. Pay is low, work is rare, and nonpayment for work completed is unacceptable. I do not recommend this company

Structured Process

CopyPress has a very structured process: writers are assigned pieces through the CMS, the pieces are sent through CopyScape and then forwarded to copyeditors. After editing, the pieces go through a second edit with QA.

Pros

Steady work

Cons

Very short deadlines at times and very low pay

Does NOT pay on time

I worked as an independent contractor (writer). My first assignment was maybe in 2014 or so but I didn't begin getting regular assignments from them until 2016-2017. The pay is decent, not great. I was lucky enough to get assigned to an ongoing project that paid well. However, getting paid is another matter. This company routinely pays late and has the same excuse whenever you question them about your late paycheck: they're trying to catch up from their last batch. I've heard this same excuse for months on end. This is unacceptable. Forget about getting in touch with anyone on the phone because they'll never answer your calls. When you email about pay, they give you the same excuse and then refer you to their FAQ page, where they state their net-90 day payment policy, which they don't even adhere to. I want to warn ALL freelancers out there to stay away from Copypress, unless you like getting paid late.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Consistently late pay

Unless you like to get paid months after article approval...

The nicest thing I have to say about this company is that a staff member will handle inquiries in a timely manner. It's also a good way for new writers to use the AP style guide, Otherwise, it takes too long to get paid. While some blogs say CopyPress pays every other week but my experience has been different. I have waited nearly six months to get paid for an article that needed few revisions and was client-approved within hours of original submission. I've even reached out to the CEO and got no response.

Pros

AP skills, pay is slightly better than most content companies

Cons

Too long to get paid and get processed

Editors need some fine-tuning

I am a freelance writer and editor ar Copypress, and while I enjoy much of the work, some pay well below market rates ($30 for 750 words). There are some more lucrative projects, but the best I have seen is $30 for 500 words. Overall, though, the writing pay isn't awful. Being an editor is highway robbery, as Copypress only pays $6.75 for 675 words. And the guidelines are way too in-depth for this to be a great venture for an experienced editor. It generally takes at least 30 minutes to edit one article, so you are lucky if you make $13.50 per hour. I've gotten to the point where I reject virtually all editing assignments. The big issue about Copypress is inconsistent editing and its style guides. There is a master style guide, but each project has its own super-long guide. This leads to a lot of confusion among writers and editors alike. There are also some editors who really shouldn't be. They tend to feel that any sentence with a "to be" verb is egregious passive and proceed to inject Yodaese (ya know, speak like Yoda, they do) to avoid this phantom passive voice. They fail to realize that passive voice is sometimes best, depending on the context, and that not every "to be" verb construction is actually passive. Overall, though, I would recommend Copypress to any freelance writer who's looking to add a few bucks to their monthly take. Just never EVER attempt to paste an article into the Copypress CMS from Word -- it turns into a hot mess.

Pros

Plenty of work, neat topics, decent pay for writers

Cons

Some editors are shaky, too many guidelines, editors are paid peanuts

Fun family oriented

Small company, exciting place to work. Every day is a new challenge, a lot of team building projects. Supportive staff and great hours to work.

Pros

Fun environment, choose your own work hours

Cons

Poor benefits, no lunch breaks, no sick days

They mean well

If you want to learn, you can absolutely do it. How much you work is up to you, so if you're a workaholic like me then you can certainly overdo it. Is the pay great? No, but this is a great stepping stone company for someone wanting to break into the agency world and has a desire to be able to make an impact from day 1. If you work hard and try to learn everything you can, the skillset expansion alone will have been worth it.

Pros

lots of learning opportunities, leadership listens

Cons

pay

Free Insurance Doesn't Make Up for Sub Par Management

Paychecks were constantly late. Imagine receiving your paycheck in the form of a paper check at 4:00pm on Friday when it was supposed to have been deposited in your bank account that morning. Infuriating? To say the least. Then add to that it happened six times in a four month period, and you'd leave too. The worst part though was the fact that it was by far the worst place I've ever worked, but we were brainwashed into thinking it was the best. Being able to wear sweatpants to work and flexible hours just don't make up for unstable pay and unnecessary stress.

Pros

Free health insurance, catered lunch on Friday's, relaxed culture

Cons

constant changes in workflow, management makes it up as they go, cashflow problems lead to unstable pay