Core Laboratories Employee Reviews

Okay pay but poor corporate culture
Core Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 30, 2018
Pay was ok, expect mandatory overtime, but don't expect a raise if you're not in a management position. I knew people who'd been there for 3 or 4 years without a pay raise or any prospect of promotion. Management actually kept their lips tight about certain "need to know" subjects pertaining to how certain things were done. Most of the managers seemed unhappy.

Lots of nicer folks doing the grunt work, which is what made working here for over a year bearable.

Getting let go without any real explanation, infraction, or review with zero warning is just one example of this place's negative corporate culture.
Pros
Moody managers
Cons
Horrible culture
satisfactory
Core Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 25, 2018
a normal day is relatively stress free. good colleagues, management could take a few tips out of a management course. very strong personalities at work, a lot of pointing the finder at the other person for mistakes made.
Good Experience, Dead End
Chemist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 13, 2018
downstream petroleum analysis with a wide range of techniques, equipment, and instrumentation. Lots of overtime. Tests have no profit margin, and any lab tech can be taught them.
Pros
lab experience
Cons
compensation & advancement
Core Lab is a good company to get started in your career
Core Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 24, 2018
I learned a great deal about the oil and gas business however as with most employees there will be a time when your limited to training and other aspects that help you progress. Like other employees the time has come to begin the next step in furthering my career.
Pros
Free Hug Fridays
Cons
Have to travel year round to make a decent living
Company is a Joke
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYMarch 21, 2018
If you enjoy:
your "safety officer" trying to get you to break safety violations
Being forced to lie on all your paper work
being told to half as your job
working from 3am to 7pm then getting told you have to be back at 12
your safety officer pouring chemicals in the alley
spending half your paycheck on gas and waiting 3 weeks to get paid back

I worked a a Inspector for about 3 months and i walked out because the company is a joke.
Pros
the thrill of possibly dying
Cons
Working for Saybolt
Decent Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 20, 2018
When the economy is good, so is working here. Compensation is on the lower end of the industry spectrum. When employees leave it is more than likely for a competitor.
Pros
location
Cons
pay
Great company!
Operations Coordinator / Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 3, 2018
Working for Saybolt was both fun and enjoyable. Great schedule, great managers, opportunity to advance within.

I worked for Saybolt for nearly 5 years, and in that time, the company gave me some amazing opportunities. My latest achievement was I successfully launched an office in the Midwest region for the company. In 60 days, I generated revenue for the company, hired 4 team members, and promoted the brand by visiting customers (major oil companies - i.e., supply chain managers)

I was a supervisor with Saybolt, in the capacity of an operations scheduler/coordinator.

With the company I traveled to Europe for corporate training, of a new software the company was launching worldwide.
Pros
Fantastic growth potential
Cons
Quick paced and challenging work environment
RAPID Data Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 1, 2018
Quick paced work and always challenging. Learn something new every week at least. Pay was decent. Got along well with everyone and happy to help out .
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Many Layoffs
N/a
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 6, 2018
It is a great environment to work in. Depending on which shift you work, it can get extremely busy. One must be well organized and work well under stress.
Great Staff poor Management
Sr. Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 1, 2018
Excellent upper management and good management at some departments. Lack of direction and Micro-management which complicated decision out come for me personally . Great international cooperation as well as camaraderie. .
Pros
Good salaries
Cons
Micro-managers
Working with professional and determine people will always be a good place to be.
Clinical Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Delano, CA 93215January 12, 2018
My place of work is enjoyable specially people I work with and it is never ending learning process. Well salary increased is always an issue depending on maybe how management handle budget, but somehow on the later part of 2017 they did manage to increase a little and grateful enough to have it .
Work environment were good, everybody are contributing something just to finish the work specially on stat , the hardest part in this job is having a short staff and being too busy, working with professional always end well and enjoyable, accepting the fact that we still have a job after all.
Pros
free lunches, education
Cons
always having an issue on staffing
Core Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 3, 2017
Great place to work and gain great industry experience. If you are an early career professional, you will gain the knowledge you need to move forward and succeed in your career
Poor management
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXNovember 19, 2017
Poor management, no formal training on how to run labs, management not bringing changes to work place, lab equipment are obsolete. Came here with high expectation, but was disappointed with what is on ground. A good place to gain experience and move on to the next place.
Broken Promises
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasNovember 17, 2017
I have been told repeatedly they are pushing for a title change and a raise. My issue is this has been the "story" for 6 years. It doesn't take that long.
Small Business
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Allen Park, MINovember 12, 2017
Working at Core Laboratory Supplies has given me the flexibility to be with my family. I work a flexible 35 hours a week but am looking for a full-time position.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Part-time
Memories
Technical Writer / Materials planner -coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 30, 2017
This job was over 30 years ago, the Dallas location no longer exists. I have no idea what the company is currently like. I was a Technical Writer (1980–1981). Researched, wrote, illustrated, and edited operation and maintenance manuals for core analysis equipment, reservoir fluid analysis (laboratory) equipment and oilrig monitoring equipment.
I was a Materials Coordinator/Planner (1978–1980). Compiled parts lists, verified content of engineering drawings; and managed computerized coding system for parts, assemblies, and supplies retained in company warehouse.
Extremely Hierarchical
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  WindfernOctober 30, 2017
Managers listen to only the top level employees, letting them run it like their farm. The entire company is run like it is from 1960s, with a strict hierarchical logic.
Pros
Good PTO
Cons
Low flexibility with time
Great First Job
Core Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 23, 2017
Minimal opportunities for advancement & low salaries. Great place to learn, but don't stay too long. Core Laboratories N.V. is one of the largest service providers of core and fluid analysis in the petroleum industry.
N/a
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa County, OKOctober 18, 2017
Great place to work and live, I really enjoyed working here. Co-workers are very welcoming and co-operative. Love to work here again if given a chance.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Corporate IT sucks
TECHNICAL SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Sharon Hill, PAOctober 10, 2017
Great management skills, Friendly environment, low stress level, employees extremely happy with their jobs and very pleasant to work with. Management acknowledges the employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Core Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.