Play YouTube video button

CoreCivic Employee Reviews

United States1,801 reviews
Found 1,801 reviews matching the search
Featured review
CoreCivic selected this as a representative review
Great job
Great job with great opportunities.Benefits are great also. Corrections are not for everyone but if you enjoy it go for it. I’ve learned that the sky is the limit in corrections and you can go as far as you want to go
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your review and comments.
Structure needs to be review
Good job but need better Management but overall good job but can be stressful due to shortage of staff no communication with executive staff need to re-evaluate some of the executive staff no communication. Overall some good staff works there.
June 3, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your review and comments. We hope you had a positive experience working in our facility. Please know that we will share your feedback with the appropriate team members.
the hardest place of the job
The hardest part of the job was not being able to take any days off and the extra long hours. The inmates had more power than the officers. The whole facility wasn't fair. There was so much favoritism shown here.
June 3, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the negative experience you encountered. Please know that we will share your feedback with the appropriate team members.
Your only a warm body
In my 3 years I gave alot to the company and was stuck in alot of mandatory overtimes keeping me away from my family. I also felt like upper management never has your back but is quick to make yo8r life hard
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
Dont care about staff and never have your back
June 1, 2020
A good company to work for but they dont pay that great.
Its a good job but the pay is terrible! The benefits are decent but nothing special. Management is good. They try and treat everybody equally and with respect.
June 1, 2020
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Nobody Cares
They will change your work hours on a whim. As a nurse, you are hired for 36 hours and will work that amount for however long until management decides that "that wasn't how it was supposed to be" and then force you to work overtime with no end in sight. There is no leadership; one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

Inmates can use drugs, and there are few (if any) repercussions for them. Coworkers can come in late, drunk, on drugs, etc. on a regular basis and NOTHING is done. You're nothing but a warm body. As long as the spot is filled, they don't care. Despite not being picky with who they hire, there is almost always a shortage of staff on any given shift.

You are subject to searches, restrictions and a multitude of rules (which is understandable as you're supposed to be setting an example), however when the inmates are given more privileges than the employees, one starts to wonder who the actual inmate is.

Our equipment is laughable for nursing staff. It is outdated and doesn't work half of the time. We can do an EKG on a guy who is having chest pain, and when we go to fax it, we have to restart the machine due to its constant freezing. The higher-ups are aware of this, yet nothing is done.

Pay here is pathetic. For nurses AND officers.

The most enjoyable part of the job is most of the coworkers and the majority of the inmates. Listening to their stories is very interesting. It is rewarding to assist an inmate who appreciates it and wants (or needs) to be helped.

It could be a good job if management actually cared about a single thing
 - more...
not the best
They care more about making sure were staffed than peoples mental health, have people working 12 hour shifts 10+ days in a row then get mad when people dont want extra days????
May 28, 2020
It was okay
Being at corecivic it great and all but you have to have a strong mind and strong will to deal with the management there. Hours are okay and the overtime is excessive ( which is no problem). It can help you get along way whether you trying to reach a goal or just get some things done I would recommend!
May 27, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your review and comments. Thank you for your continued support and for all that you do, especially during this unprecedented time.
Dirty Employees and Dirty Guards
Management doesnt protect whisleblowers they will fire you and protect the bad employees and fire you on hearsay evidence and you wonder why they are AIWAYS LOOKING FOR HELP
Pros
Cons
Dirty Employees and Dirty Guards
May 26, 2020
Horrible, Horrible company to work with
It is very clear it is about the money they make per inmate and not the staff. Management is toxic, officers are forced into an unproductive union, pay is below average, and they don't care too much about your physically well being while on the clock. Management bend over backwards for the inmates but not for the officers or staff. There is a general lack of safety throughout the institution that often leads to injuries. When it comes to promotions, changing positions, changing shifts and time off, it is dictated by seniority. Even with seniority, if you are not in the "Good ol boys" club, you will be passed over. Most all the staff and officers are not happy with Core Civic and it shows in the work.
Cons
Pay, Good ol boys club, mandated overtime, multiple 16 hour shifts in a row
May 20, 2020
Ok
CCA was a good company that changed their name to Core Civic I wish they were still in Washington DC they pay well, have good benefits, I likes the 12 hour shifts.
N/a
No job security for hard working people. They don’t care about they employees. I was wrongfully terminated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
May 18, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. Please know that we will share your feedback with the appropriate team members.
Warehouse/Commissary
Work with inmates 5 times a week. Receive orders, fill and deliver. Receive all inbound shipments, receive and put away . Check all paperwork inbound and outbound
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your review and comments.
highly stressful, unsafe work enviornment
As a nurse in the medical clinic at Trousdale you are busy all day. Hectic, chaotic environment. Chronic conditions are treated as well as stabbings, overdoses and assaults. I did not feel supported by management and there was constant pressure to do more and cut corners. There is paper charting and you treat inmates wounds etc without being able to chart anything. LPN's mostly go out to the compound to do a med pass that takes hours for hundreds of inmates. Then LPN's go to the gym and take care of the diabetics. RN's are mostly in the clinic. The staff usually gets along, but it is super cliquish. You are made to feel guilty if you don't work extra. Nurses are supposed to have an escort but that doesn't always happen and they only have pepper spray as protection. There has been a female staff severely stabbed as well as numerous assaults on the guards. The money is really good but the staff turnover is constant. The company in general is secretive and sweeps a lot of unsafe incidents under the rug. This place is all about making money for Core Civic and staff are just to be used to achieve that goal. Inmate care is poor, training is very poor and you must train yourself by asking lots of questions. Crisis situations are a nightmare with poorly trained staff, lack of equipment and resources. Tiny breakroom with 4 chairs, only one bathroom for dozens of workers. It was an interesting experience but I don't miss it.
May 18, 2020
Managrment sucks and will not listen, they uphold wrong-doing at all costs
At the Corecivic facility i work at, they have incompetent people in administrative positions that are as asinine as a box of rocks. When you come to them with concerns, they take the side of the person that is closest to them. They are always rewarders to those who don't work. Then they chastise those who work hard. Backwards company and unqualified leadership.
May 18, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your review and comments. Please know that we will share your feedback with the appropriate team members.
Good place to work with good people. Very easy work schedule and it's not a difficult job to do. Give it a try it's one of the easiest jobs you'll ever have.
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your review and comments.
mismanaged. this place is dangerous
This place is poorly managed and is very dangerous environment to work in. Management does not care about the health or safety of their employees. It is extremely short staffed. I feel unimportant and it is a hostile work environment. The upper management makes it a hard place to work at. One officer is often made to run multiple pods.
May 18, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the way you were treated. Please know that we will share your feedback with the appropriate team members.
Deplorable place to work
I have relocated to another state to work for CoreCivic. The company has defeated its employees. Bad work conditions, facility is dirty, work hazards, overworked, can't supply security posts. Day could start at 7am and not leave up to 24hrs. later. I had been ignored for asking for assistance for over 6mths. When I finally receive some attention, I get fired for incompetence and not working independently. This is infuriating to me. I work almost 4wks without a day off. This facility needs a culture change. This company is reactive not proactive, and is deplorable to its employees. I worked in the medical department; no nurses, no clinical supervisor, no pharmacy nurse, no MH coordinator, and no help from corporate. The most enjoyable part of my job is not being there anymore.
May 18, 2020
There are better options for you elsewhere, trust me.
This facility will break you. You are hired for a position you receive no training for, and then you will get screamed at hourly by other departments for not knowing how to do your job. Any training you get will solely be if you take the initiative and google it. No I'm not kidding at all.
Is what it is
After being employed 10 years and working segregation for 6 the only advice I would give is learn all you can from the place and move on to bigger and better things.
Pros
Great environment to learn
Cons
The administration and company don't give two sh!ts about you.
Awful Management
I wouldn't ever believe a prison would be this bad of an employer but they are
I worked under the warden and was constantly disrespected and under valued. I assisted in several large decisions and was always treated like a child and worthless.
May 18, 2020
Ask a question about working or interviewing at CoreCivic. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight