CoreCivic Employee Reviews

Always short staffed and no communication skills
Safety and Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Olney Springs, COJanuary 14, 2019
On a typical day staff was always put down. i always treated me staff great and always thanked them for doing a good job and always stepped in and helped them with all tasks for the day. i enjoyed working with my staff and tried to make it a better place to work I loved the work I did trying to make a positive place and safe place for staff and inmates alike. I taught a lot of classes and ran several dog programs for the inmates.
Pros
changing peoples lives
Cons
no breaks and lots of 16hr shifts with no breaks at all
Former employee... This place is a joke!!!!!
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Clifton, TNDecember 13, 2018
You do not want to work for this company. I was a former state corrections employee and tried this company cause it was close to home. You will not be trained properly to handle the job they want you to perform. It is a very unsafe place to work, and the working hours are unbearable. The staff will not help you in any way. It's a prison..... And a poorly ran one... $14.75 an hour is not worth your freedom or life...DO NOT WORK THERE!!!! The employees that have been there a while are rude and back stabbing. THERE IS NO POSITION AT THIS COMPANY WORTH IT. KEEP LOOKING ELSEWHERE.
Pros
You can work all the hours you want
Cons
Working hours, pay, poorly managed, unsafe environment
Culture of hatred
Vocational Instructor (Former Employee) –  Alamo, GADecember 27, 2018
This job was pretty good for a long time. Unfortunately the good people leave and they get replaced with garbage. Our management was terrible. Constant threats, control freak, principal screams at teachers and inmates, horrible human being. Most of the security staff is ghetto trash. Lots of contraband and personal dealings that CoreCivic sweeps under the rug. No one has your back here. Very poor security for non-security positions. This is a for profit prison. Never forget that.
Pros
Met some cool people, interesting environment
Cons
Terrible management, nobody has your back, If you aren’t a supervisor you are no one, non security staff is forced to do security work ie. Shakedowns, wardens are bullies, retaliation is rough
Bad management
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Hartsville, TNJanuary 11, 2019
The management staff will make it your fault on everything. If something doesnt go as plan they will blame you. The head of HR acts like she runs the whole company and doesnt even do her job. And if you get hurt there and they dont like you they will push you out. The one assistant warden that is their will find every little thing so that she can boot you out. The security staff is not train properly and will end up getting someone killed.
Good money but profit driven
Correctional Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 7, 2018
This is a for profit organization and at times lacks the staffing to maintain appropriate security levels. Staff are required to work mandatory overtime which impacts your family life. The company has attempted to improve management with leadership however, many long term leaders have yet to change and thus make it hard to enjoy the benefits that are offered. Great benefits and job security as they contract with many government agencies.
Benefits
Cons
Management and job/life balance. Long hours.
Worked lot of yrs for the company but needs changes
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Eloy, AZDecember 13, 2018
Would look at what job duties are and make sure it's what u want to do not for everyone. Training needs to be better. Company getting laced on the safety of fellow officers. A big mistake as far as security goes. And always be aware of your surroundings working in the prison environment
Pros
Some good c/o s i ve worked with
Cons
Need better supervision and higher up staff
Backstabbing and gossip
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  NMNovember 1, 2018
Initially I loved working for the company until the management changed. Micro-management, gossip, backstabbing and putting "the right" people in the positions has become the norm. Corporate office being in TN talks a lot about values and corporate culture but there is huge disconnect between them and the actual "boots on the ground". Job training is nearly non-existent, you are pretty much thrown in to a position and are expected to figure it out. Any mistakes may cost you your job!
Pros
Some nice staff to work with
Cons
low pay, poor management, employees are disposable
Good career, but private prisons may not be for everyone
Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Eloy, AZDecember 10, 2018
CoreCivic can be an easy job and allows the opportunity of just doing the bare minimum per your job duties. But supervisors do not recognize the hard work and motivation of the Correctional Officers who do go above and beyond, therefore lowering morale and making it easy for a transfer to other facilities and easy transition. It’s not a job for everyone due to the nature of the career. It can be stressful, but the lack of experience and the turnover rate it makes it hard for good training across shifts. Every facility in the area does not get paid the same so based on your own personal standings with your credit or personal finances there is only certain facilities you can work at.
Pros
401k, transferring to sister facilities
Cons
Stocks, overtime, turnover rate
Workplace
Admin.Supervisor/Learning and Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 4, 2018
I worked for the company for over ten years. It was previously called Corrections Corporation of American. The company's vision and mission lined up well with the employee expectancy. The overall goal was to provide a safe and secure environment for both staff and offenders. This was achieved daily.
Pros
Great pay and bonuses
Cons
Working during lockdowns
Stressful and staff is usually out to get you.
Senior Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Whiteville, TNOctober 24, 2018
The job itself is fairly nice. I enjoyed the work I did and the people i was around for the most part but eventually you start to see how corrupt the place is and how nobody is going to help in your time of need. I was placed in too many situations where I could've potentially been in danger and had little to no no backup. The upper management is also out for peoples jobs and will take them for little to no reason. Would not recommend this place to a friend or anybody for that matter. Very stressful and potentially dangerous.
Pros
Plenty of overtime.
Cons
Expensive health insurance, terrible staff, and dangerous environment.
Considers their employees
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Lemoore, CAOctober 22, 2018
Having worked in other correctional facilities in comparison CoreCivic does an amazing job of keeping a good work life balance for their employees. While I worked plenty of overtime I was able to choose when and still had plenty of time off due to the 12 hours shifts. Mandatory overtime was few and far between. Meanwhile at other facilities I have worked at mandatory overtime happened at least once a week, but sometimes 3 times a week forcing employees to work 16 hour shift. This did not allow for a great work life balance and led to a much more stressful work environment.
Pros
One meal provided, work life balance, Hours
Cons
environment, no lunch breaks and few breaks
Under staffed
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Las Animas, CODecember 1, 2018
Always understaffed. Captains had their favorites and if you arent one then you are stuck working overtime even if you tell them no. They tell you to let them know what you want to be trained in and never do it. Was working overtime at least 4 days a week and always had to worry about having to work a 16 hour shift if someone didnt show up.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Literally everything else
Poor Everything
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Crowley County, COOctober 11, 2018
Mandatory 16 or more hour days (consecutive). High turn-around rate. Supervisors don't understand that yes inmates have committed felonies and are in prison for a reason but they are still people and should still be treated like people. Its mandatory to come in on your days off (and if you say no you get wrote up even though it's your day off that is mandated by the state of Colorado employment laws)
Pros
Pay
Cons
zero lunches. zero breaks. Supervisors expect inmates to be treated poorly.
Official response from CoreCivic
October 15, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. CoreCivic is dedicated to the proper care of the inmates placed into our facilities, the company investigates and addresses all complaints in regards to inmate treatment.

The worst place I have ever worked
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Whiteville, TNOctober 22, 2018
First, I want to say that whoever is responding to these reviews is a joke. There are people with real concerns about not having time with their families and being overworked. All Core civic is really about is money. They care nothing about the well-being of their employees. People put their lives in danger everyday and the upper staff does not care about them. This complete company deserves to be shut down. I hope whoever makes the unethical decisions about how this company is ran sleeps well because I couldn't knowing I am not treating people who work for me with respect. They sit and make all these "executive" decisions and it just further puts the officers in danger.
Pros
Good money
Cons
No breaks at all. You are expected to eat in the pods with the inmates.
Official response from CoreCivic
October 29, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. I do not agree with your review; however I will respond to it. CoreCivic does care about the well being and welfare of our employees and we respect and appreciate the work that our correctional officers do every day.

Second Family
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Natchez, MSDecember 12, 2018
Because of the scheduled hours, you’re there at least half your life so your coworkers become “family”. You depend solely on them for your safety and comfort while there; the main objective is to stay alert and never become complacent because of how relaxed/easy the job may seem.
Pros
Excellent benefits, paid major holidays
Cons
Short/No breaks, poor management
Nope!
Senior Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Clifton, TNOctober 31, 2018
Pay wise job was great. Easily one of the best paying jobs in my area. Overtime is mandatory so working enough hours is not a problem. The hours however make it very easy to get burned out on the job. Upper managements priorities have very little to do with employee safety. I wouldn't recommend this job to somebody i hated.
Pros
Paid time off. Hours. Co-workers
Cons
Safety. Hours. Co-Workers.
Correctional Officer
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHJanuary 16, 2019
Providing safety and security to inmates. There is a lot of gossiping and shady stuff going on within the company. They don't care at all for their employees and unjustly and unlawful terminate people. They lie and are not doing things correctly. Watch your back and be very careful when working for a shady employer.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad company
Poor management, lack of communication
CORECTIONAL OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Eloy, ArizonaOctober 22, 2018
This company overall is not bad, but red rock facility in Eloy is horrible. The supertpick favorites, as in who got the better post on shift, who didn’t have to stay late or come in early. When others have to do 16 hour shifts, so the favorite last don’t have to do over time. You get fired over the dumbest things. Overall I would not recommend this facility to anyone.
Needs Improvement
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Nicholls, GADecember 5, 2018
Overall Core Civic did help with the bills but I went there for a career and for schooling. When I applied and finally got in I started asking about the schooling that they told us about in orientation and the acted like they didn't know what I was talking about when they had given us a booklet on how to get back in school the the prison system.
Need more experienced supervisors with people skills. / Upper Management needs to listen to employees more.
Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cushing, OKJanuary 10, 2019
Loved the job. Unfortunately, some supervisors need management training, they need to know how to supervise and not micromanage. Upper management need to listen to employees more when they come to them about a hostile work environment. When you have an entire department that complains about a supervisor, look into that and perhaps either get them training, or remove them from that position. I felt like I was not respected, or my opinion was not valued at all, that it was easier to replace me than to actually deal with the problem. Basically, it was either deal with it, or find another job mentality.

PTO was fantastic. Insurance was horrible and pricey.

Loved a lot of my co-workers, but there were clicks.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Not feeling appreciated, valued, or respected!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CoreCivic. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight